Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Bell County Coaching search
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:It has been said by Bell fans that no matter the hire they would only be a 2-3 year fill in.

What's been the average length of the hire of the last few coaches? And, I'd dare to say that 3 or 4 years would be probably close to the average length in this state. I'd say well over 75% of the jobs in the state have been open within the last 4 or 5 years.
TheHotSnakes Wrote:What's been the average length of the hire of the last few coaches? And, I'd dare to say that 3 or 4 years would be probably close to the average length in this state. I'd say well over 75% of the jobs in the state have been open within the last 4 or 5 years.

No doubt they have.

Almost 1/4 of them came open alone last year.
Motley Wrote:Wow, this thread is incredible. More than double the views of any other thread on the football forum in history.

Not quite. Check out the BGR Classic thread.
Granny Bear Wrote:Not quite. Check out the BGR Classic thread.

It's getting there. I think it's probably safe to say that it's going to pass any thread of merit on this site (I don't count those off-topic random threads).

It's also really funny to me that this thread has been going, and nobody really seems to know 100% of what is going on. If I had the time, I'd love to make a list of the names that have been mentioned, and keep track of all of the rumors that have been going on for this.

This has been a circus, and I'm not really sure who to fault.
So is it a done deal.. 100%?
I would think if this is the hire the Bell faithful would be estactic. With this committee it could have been a whole lot worst.
Some unsolicited advice to Bell Co Fans.......(which I have a lot of respect for generally speaking, all schools have knuckleheads)

Sometimes you don't get your first choice or even your third choice or 8th choice but you have to get behind the new coach and give them a chance. Nobody really wants to see Bell drop, they have been a great team for a long time. When a area or region has a good team, it only serves to make everyone else better. Sure everyone wants to beat Bell but what is the fun of beating a watered down version of a team.

Whitley got a great coach and a great person when Coach Chappell joined our school and community. He has done a great job getting kids out and really has become a big part of our school working well with the staff, administration and other head coaches.

I like the direction our program is headed. I like our coach and our staff and I like the way our coach cares about and works for the kids.

Look at it this way Bobcat fans: It could always be worse, PLD just hired their 8th coach in 16 years.
Anyone know all the demands McCreary has asked for? A couple I have heard is he gets a teaching job and the AD job. Tim Saylor gets sometime of part time job. What else?

Saylor will try to run Yvonne out of a job in the long run. He is not happy with what is happening with "his people in Harlan Co." All very interesting.
redrocket Wrote:Im sure that does sound like a good staff to you. we have 500 years of total age on the staff and yeah cawood and cumberland both powerhouses in case you didn't know. I'll tell you what this staff sounds so great why don't chappel just call and hire all these guys and we will start over again.

of course I know.good idea.hopefully Chappell will call them.
Dietpepsidrinker Wrote:Some unsolicited advice to Bell Co Fans.......(which I have a lot of respect for generally speaking, all schools have knuckleheads)

Sometimes you don't get your first choice or even your third choice or 8th choice but you have to get behind the new coach and give them a chance. Nobody really wants to see Bell drop, they have been a great team for a long time. When a area or region has a good team, it only serves to make everyone else better. Sure everyone wants to beat Bell but what is the fun of beating a watered down version of a team.

Whitley got a great coach and a great person when Coach Chappell joined our school and community. He has done a great job getting kids out and really has become a big part of our school working well with the staff, administration and other head coaches.

I like the direction our program is headed. I like our coach and our staff and I like the way our coach cares about and works for the kids.

Look at it this way Bobcat fans: It could always be worse, PLD just hired their 8th coach in 16 years.

Who all is on staff now?
TheHotSnakes Wrote:It's getting there. I think it's probably safe to say that it's going to pass any thread of merit on this site (I don't count those off-topic random threads).

It's also really funny to me that this thread has been going, and nobody really seems to know 100% of what is going on. If I had the time, I'd love to make a list of the names that have been mentioned, and keep track of all of the rumors that have been going on for this.

This has been a circus, and I'm not really sure who to fault.

This thread has only just passed the Whitley coaching thread that was on here last year in replies. Several of which have been the same comments over and over. It still doesn't have as many views as the Whitley thread had.

However, this thread and the Whitley coaching thread are the two most replied/viewed threads about sports related topics this site has ever had.
Finis Wrote:Anyone know all the demands McCreary has asked for? A couple I have heard is he gets a teaching job and the AD job. Tim Saylor gets sometime of part time job. What else?

Saylor will try to run Yvonne out of a job in the long run. He is not happy with what is happening with "his people in Harlan Co." All very interesting.

Why in the world would Tim Saylor drive to Bell County every day to be an assistant coach when he was one of the most successful head coaches in eastern Kentucky history over the last 35 years?
I think it's someone's fantasy.
This hire isint happening either
Finis Wrote:Anyone know all the demands McCreary has asked for? A couple I have heard is he gets a teaching job and the AD job. Tim Saylor gets sometime of part time job. What else?

I don't know about McCreary, but I just heard from someone very close to Tim. It makes me wonder if you have some kind of agenda Finis, by saying all this stuff.

In any event, don't look for Tim or anyone else in the Saylor family, to take this position.
Granny Bear Wrote:I don't know about McCreary, but I just heard from someone very close to Tim. It makes me wonder if you have some kind of agenda Finis, by saying all this stuff.

In any event, don't look for Tim or anyone else in the Saylor family, to take this position.

Why? Smile
Trashtalker Wrote:This hire isint happening either

So are they still looking for a coach or not?
pjdoug Wrote:Why? Smile

I was told by a family member that it wasn't ever being considered. They asked me why Finis was posting about it. After the remark about Saylor not being happy with "his people in Harlan Co", I had to wonder about it, too.
HCS Wrote:Why in the world would Tim Saylor drive to Bell County every day to be an assistant coach when he was one of the most successful head coaches in eastern Kentucky history over the last 35 years?

100k reasons. It is someone's fantasy.....his. I have been around a longtime but I am not sure about 1 of the most successful? I would put Frazier, music and Larkey in front of him just in Harlan co. Pineville he had some talent but didn't get much done.

The new administration is not exactly taking care of his bunch. He is a factor here believe it or not doesn't really matter to me but that is what is happening.
Finis Wrote:100k reasons. It is someone's fantasy.....his. I have been around a longtime but I am not sure about 1 of the most successful? I would put Frazier, music and Larkey in front of him just in Harlan co. Pineville he had some talent but didn't get much done.

The new administration is not exactly taking care of his bunch. He is a factor here believe it or not doesn't really matter to me but that is what is happening.

So he's going to get 100K to be an asst. coach? The financial situation of the Bell Co. School System must be really good.
100k to be superintendent.
Finis Wrote:100k reasons. It is someone's fantasy.....his. I have been around a longtime but I am not sure about 1 of the most successful? I would put Frazier, music and Larkey in front of him just in Harlan co. Pineville he had some talent but didn't get much done.

Frazier and Musick are good coaches and friends, but there's no way they were more successful than Saylor.
Musick won one district and one region title at Evarts.
Frazier won a couple of district titles but no regions.
Saylor's teams at Cumberland won two region titles, won about 90 percent of their games, beat Beechwood twice in the state semifinals and lost in two state championship games. He also coached perhaps the two best teams at Pineville since the 1960s (losing to a state championship team from Pikeville) and coached the last really good team at Cawood, won the last playoff game for a Cawood team and had one losing season in 15-plus years of coaching.
Are you sure T. Saylor coached both those teams in state finals? I do know Frazier lead in all time wins at Cumberland. They also was playing in a time when Pikeville was getting all the athletes from several states and Coleman Oil, with 5th 3rd Bank. So they were both very successful, Saylor in the county much longer. Reguardless, if Saylor is going to Bell, you can bet that there is some other agenda for the move. Superintendent is my guess. Old dogs, no new tricks. We will see how they do.
HCS Wrote:Why in the world would Tim Saylor drive to Bell County every day to be an assistant coach when he was one of the most successful head coaches in eastern Kentucky history over the last 35 years?

Ask McCreary, he brought his name to the table? He said he would help.
Flicka Wrote:Are you sure T. Saylor coached both those teams in state finals? I do know Frazier lead in all time wins at Cumberland. They also was playing in a time when Pikeville was getting all the athletes from several states and Coleman Oil, with 5th 3rd Bank. So they were both very successful, Saylor in the county much longer. Reguardless, if Saylor is going to Bell, you can bet that there is some other agenda for the move. Superintendent is my guess. Old dogs, no new tricks. We will see how they do.

I thought Cain coached one of those teams? Saylor the other. Maybe wrong. Either way, makes no difference , I agree why would he do that.........super?
Saylor coached the 82 and 83 teams. I think he was at Cumberland four four years and averaged about 10 wins a year. They lost to Paris and Russellville in the finals
Cain coached the 86 team. They lost to Heath in the state finals
I don't know if Frazier leads in all time wins. He isn't close to Saylor in winning percentage or championships. They were 1-10 in Frazier's first year, but they did get better. I think they were in the region finals once and lost to Pikeville despite having Tinsley, Ravizee, Massey, Evans, Baskin...Cumberland had more athletes than Pikeville that year.
Cumberland was loaded but most of those kids ranged from freshmen to senior. Pikeville was loaded as well Deramous, Bailey, Coleman ect... I still think Cumberland may be favorite in the game.

Is Saylor going?
Will he run the wing-t. I am sure everyone is hoping so. that is those on the schedule.
AnswertheBell Wrote:Will he run the wing-t. I am sure everyone is hoping so. that is those on the schedule.

Will who run the Wing T?
AnswertheBell Wrote:Will he run the wing-t. I am sure everyone is hoping so. that is those on the schedule.

Scott County won a 6A state title running it. You think their opponents are glad they run it?

I'd love to hear your detailed breakdown on the Wing T. Non Delaware, Delaware..doesn't matter.

Formations, Series, Rules, etc.