Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Bell County Coaching search
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Iam4thecats Wrote:Don't let the other obvious difference confuse you. Warren county now has 5 public high schools and Scott county has 1. Kevin Wallace is winning at an 88% clip for 25 years at a school who had 1 regional title in 80 years before 1987. Kids have 4 other options of where to attend if they are motivated to do so.

I get disgusted by people who want to cut down someone else to make themselves look better.

Just throwing around the word contender and assuming anyone can reach excellence is lazy.
In the last 5 years Wallaces teams have won 4 state championships and lost 3 total games. Kids are graduating from there with more rings than losses. Let that sink in a minute. Thats excellence on a level only maybe 3 other schools have experienced in state history, so no, not just anybody can do it. And don't come back with some garbage about all the good players going to one school. South Warren has a ring of their own ordered from December. Warren East has a kid playing at Kentucky right now and Greenwood had the district player of the year last year who was only a sophomore.

Excellent points

Bowling Green's feeder system also has to be applauded and a lot of that credit has to go to Wallace as well.
Any coach that wins at places in a magnitude that never happened before them (and, likely won't happen after they are gone), there is something to be said for. They are on another planet in their abilities (whether you like some of them or not).

Kevin Wallace @ BG (won a title before, but nothing like the run they are on now. I pity the person who has to replace him and his run)
Chuck Smith @ Boyle (Never won a title before him, and he wins 5)
Mike Holcomb @ Breathitt (Never won a title before him, he wins two. Will they, again?)
Dudley Hilton @ Bell (See Coach Holcomb)
Dan Haley (Won multiple titles at more than one school; Tilghman and Bowling Green)
Joe Jaggers (Won multiple titles at more than one school; Trigg County and Fort Knox. Hadn't won any before him, and haven't since he's left)
Philip Haywood (the Belfry nation)
Ty Scroggins (The Jackets)
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Any coach that wins at places in a magnitude that never happened before them (and, likely won't happen after they are gone), there is something to be said for. They are on another planet in their abilities (whether you like some of them or not).

Kevin Wallace @ BG (won a title before, but nothing like the run they are on now. I pity the person who has to replace him and his run)
Mike Holcomb @ Breathitt (Never won a title before him, he wins two. Will they, again?)
Dan Haley (Won multiple titles at more than one school; Tilghman and Bowling Green)
Joe Jaggers (Won multiple titles at more than one school; Trigg County and Fort Knox. Hadn't won any before him, and haven't since he's left)

I am starting to wonder if Dale Mueller's name will be etched on this list... I would also add Mike Yeagle at Beechwood
Completely forgot..I had to go back and add Scroggins and Haywood. How? Great question.

Absolutely those guys are added to it. Sam Harp, also.

Something to be said, though also for those guys who did it and it hadn't been done before and hasn't since. I forgot to add Bourbon County to the list for Dudley.
Mueller, Beatty, and Yeagle all won at a level that had never been seen at their school.
Iam4thecats Wrote:Mueller, Beatty, and Yeagle all won at a level that had never been seen at their school.

Agreed. No doubt they have. I'm lumping all of those guys together. Those three, along with the others mentioned....all have something that I wish they could bottle up and sell to the rest of us.

But, I'm also throwing the guys a bone who have won titles at places that hadn't before them, and haven't since they've left. In some cases, multiple titles.

All kinds of different categories we can lump the greats into, that's for sure.
I have coached HS Football for 20 years now and you guys have made valid points on quality of available players. Good coaches do more to elevate less talented players than the good ones, for obvious reasons, with that being said the times I have had really good players the record reflected that. I have also witnessed coaches that won 1 or 2 games in a year and done more to get that two wins than what people would realize. Players matter and when the first whistle blows on Fri night the players win the game. I have seen a few coaches lose a game on Friday but never win one.
I look for them to now turn to a quick fix just to get the job filled. As has been said on here before it will be a short timer no matter what.
Any news on who their looking at now??
Whos the front runner now? If you can even use the term "front runner" ?
Another week has come and gone with no coach named. I feel bad for the kids Sad
Thunder Lips Wrote:There are many factors for BG's success the past 10 years that you can point to. The biggest (much like Louisville Central) has been the move to 6 classes.

Bell County is one of the few "county schools" that has remained consistent the past 30 years. However, talent always makes a good coach. If the talent remains relatively the same the results will remain the same no matter the coach that is hired.

Have to disagree with that one. Sorry. I have seen very talented teams drop significantly from one coach to another with only small changes in talent.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Any coach that wins at places in a magnitude that never happened before them (and, likely won't happen after they are gone), there is something to be said for. They are on another planet in their abilities (whether you like some of them or not).

You can add Jim Matney to that list. What he has done at JC since his arrival compared to where they were before he showed up has been amazing!!
Cardinals ride Wrote:You can add Jim Matney to that list. What he has done at JC since his arrival compared to where they were before he showed up has been amazing!!

Wait a minute now Cardinals,

...you mean to tell me that there is a coach, who has brought a program out of the ashes by running an offense where the QB lines up under center 99% of the time? Where they use two TE's? Where three Running backs are all behind the QB, with their hands down in a stance in the form of a Wishbone? Where they huddle for plays? Where the coach sends in plays with a subbing skilled player and/or the QB comes over close to the sideline with the play instead of looking at a multi-colored play sheet?

Wait...wait...wait....you mean to tell me that this guy runs an offense without wristbands, hand signals or signs? That this coach and his style of plays has a large amount of kids playing despite this style of play? Hold on, what I'm about to say is even crazier.....you mean they have averaged almost 12 wins a year for the last 10 years; something never done before in the history of the school with that style of play?

There is a guy and a program that has came up from the bottom despite all of that?!

My sarcasm wasn't too strong there was it?! :biglmao:

However, with that said (as you can hopefully tell, in a day where it almost seems as though you are incompetent outcast if you aren't running sort of scheme from the spread--I'm a huge fan of Matney's style--they do need to improve their passing attack, though, which I'm sure is a focus & can easily be done from the bone), I would put him in that next tier of guys. The ones above all have won titles, and as I pointed out...many of them at places that never had before them and haven't since their departures.
No will not agree with Beatty they won several before him and will when several after he is gone. a lot of coaches could win at Trinity
The Eagle has landed Wrote:No will not agree with Beatty they won several before him and will when several after he is gone. a lot of coaches could win at Trinity

You need to do some more research. Start with the name Chuck Servino.
Richard Gambrel, Tom Lefevers and John Brock Jr, l see another week has passed and you are no closer to a hire than you were at the beginning. We were promised a coach Jan 4th. Your incompetence in sports and the hiring of a coach is truely remarkable.
WhyLie Wrote:Richard Gambrel, Tom Lefevers and John Brock Jr, l see another week has passed and you are no closer to a hire than you were at the beginning. We were promised a coach Jan 4th. Your incompetence in sports and the hiring of a coach is truely remarkable.

We set behind this screen and complain about it but do nothing to change.
Let's meet Monday morning at Bel Co high school and see them face to face. Parents and all
Bobcat4years Wrote:We set behind this screen and complain about it but do nothing to change.
Let's meet Monday morning at Bel Co high school and see them face to face. Parents and all
Ask to be placed on the next school boards meeting agenda...Pack the house and have one person designated to speak...Make sure this person can articulate all the issues with the time is allowed to speak to the board...
Bobcat4years Wrote:We set behind this screen and complain about it but do nothing to change.

Have not set behind this screen. Have discussed this with him several times at the basketball game, face to face. Can not even get an answer. Told him face to face that he needs to get it done. Did not phase him. Tried to meet with site base and was not put on agenda. So speak for yourself when you say sit behind screen. Even early in this hire he did ask me about a coach, I posted I was advisor, short lived. Trust me big boy Richard Gambrel , Lefevers and Brock have heard from me several times. They will also here from me every Friday night if this goes south in a hurry, because of what they did to several coaches that would have helped this program. I do not forget
WhyLie Wrote:Have not set behind this screen. Have discussed this with him several times at the basketball game, face to face. Can not even get an answer. Told him face to face that he needs to get it done. Did not phase him. Tried to meet with site base and was not put on agenda. So speak for yourself when you say sit behind screen. Even early in this hire he did ask me about a coach, I posted I was advisor, short lived. Trust me big boy Richard Gambrel , Lefevers and Brock have heard from me several times. They will also here from me every Friday night if this goes south in a hurry, because of what they did to several coaches that would have helped this program. I do not forget

None of us will forget what is being done to our program! You don't get anything from Gambrel, Lefevers, and Brock because they don't care. Heck I bet of it was basketball a coach would be in Bell Co before a week ended. Brock would see to that. Don't know why hes stuck his nose in football decisions he has no care for football. Now super says she made a mistake and should of never fired our coaching staff. Word travels fast. You would think people would weigh out all the stupid thoughts that cross their brains before pulling the plug. Lots of people fighting mad over this whole mess. Boys still sitting around with no coaches.
Stop buying papa johns pizza!!!! And see how fast a coach gets hired
From what I heard today, Bell could be getting a good one - a former eastern Kentuckian who had a lot of success in another state.
McCreary?
HCS Wrote:From what I heard today, Bell could be getting a good one - a former eastern Kentuckian who had a lot of success in another state.

Who?Smile
OldJacket Wrote:Ask to be placed on the next school boards meeting agenda...Pack the house and have one person designated to speak...Make sure this person can articulate all the issues with the time is allowed to speak to the board...

I would start putting pressure on the school board now. They can inturn pressure the administration to get this hire done. You peoplr of bell have the power to remove the board members if they aren't doin g whats right by the kids. Its time to tell them to get this done or they will be voted out and replaced with someone who.
WhyLie Wrote:McCreary?

I know McCreary is no the Hot Bed of Kentucky Football but they did a better job in picking a Coach than Bell has done. I'm in Reno and the odd of Bell picking a Coach before Spring Practice is 100 to 1 on Big board. LMAOConfusedhh:Confusedhh:Confusedhh:Confusedhh:Confusedhh:Confusedhh:
So what is the word on the players supposedly coming to Corbin? Who is it and what is the deal?
Anyone have any info on who it might be at this point?
The Coach they are after now is from Evarts, last name Mcreary. Not sure how to spell it. Maybe kin to AD at Harlan County.