Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2013 Belfry Pirates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
A local "athletic" team might be Perry Central?
Crossbones Wrote:That seems to be a good fit. I would in near future like to see Belfry/Mingo Central rivalry started. I think it would be good for both areas.
Obligatory Inter-squad game joke. Gonna go ahead and get that out of the way. Carry on.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Obligatory Inter-squad game joke. Gonna go ahead and get that out of the way. Carry on.

I kinda seen that coming and said what the heck and let it ride. :biggrin:
PaytoPlay Wrote:A local "athletic" team might be Perry Central?

PCC would get Belfry prepared for Breathitt...but they don't have the athletic ability (I think size, speed, and strength when I say that) to compare favorably to what Belfry needs. PCC has been a team full of quickness who rely on scheme to essentially make themselves play "fast". It's sort of the Belfry defensive philosophy translated to offense. They may be equally as fast, but they are isolating guys who don't know where they are going so they get there quicker in a 1 on 1 situation and beat them to the spot.

The other two teams that came to mind in KY were Frankfort and Danville. In both cases though Belfry would be "playing down" and with a schedule already featuring Somerset and Pikeville on the non-district slate I am not sure how I would feel about a 3rd game against a smaller school (with a 4th game looking realistic). Another team I would not mind having a 2 year home and home with is Pulaski County. They are more similar to PCC and don't meet the athletic criteria..but that is a program who is about to have 3 or 4 up years and would certainly challenge the Pirate pass defense and LB's with the young skill players they are developing.

Mingo Central would be a nice fit on a lot of levels... but not right now. Until that program builds for a few more years Belfry would beat the Miners by a very large point spread. Once that program has came along enough to be competitive it is a natural rivalry, close in proximity, that will bring an absolutely massive gate. Unfortunately I think there is at least 2-3 years before it would make sense for them to play from the standpoint of competition benefiting the teams.
BELL CO> would be a nice fit. Us fans would love to see it!!!!!!!
AnswertheBell Wrote:BELL CO> would be a nice fit. Us fans would love to see it!!!!!!!

I too would love to see it, but it won't happen. No way Haywood would schedule them with the possibility of meeting them in playoffs. JMO.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Mingo Central would be a nice fit on a lot of levels... but not right now. Until that program builds for a few more years Belfry would beat the Miners by a very large point spread. Once that program has came along enough to be competitive it is a natural rivalry, close in proximity, that will bring an absolutely massive gate. Unfortunately I think there is at least 2-3 years before it would make sense for them to play from the standpoint of competition benefiting the teams.

That's basically what I was trying to say. Right now is too soon, but a future rivalry would be great.
AnswertheBell Wrote:BELL CO> would be a nice fit. Us fans would love to see it!!!!!!!

As long as both are 3A I put the odds at slim to none it happens... if it does it will either be in the playoffs or the first two weeks of the season. I don't see the PCB locking Bell into a two year deal and I don't think they would want to play Pikeville one year.... that leaves Week 0 as the only option and Haywood would much rather have an extra scrimmage then a mid-season BYE.

From a preparation standpoint it also doesn't make sense. No team of substance on Bell's side of the bracket runs the same schemes as Belfry and vice versa.
I'm really excited having the pirates roll into Harlan county next year, that will be a tough game for both teams because belfry is belfry and always brings a tough team on the field, and HC is bringing back some good talent itself with a QB that has a little more experience now. I think that game will be a good one for both teams..
Demarcus ware Wrote:I'm really excited having the pirates roll into Harlan county next year, that will be a tough game for both teams because belfry is belfry and always brings a tough team on the field, and HC is bringing back some good talent itself with a QB that has a little more experience now. I think that game will be a good one for both teams..

I agree. Both teams have similar questions on defense, and both teams have very talented pieces returning on offense.

I think if I was pressed to make a very early prediction I would say Harlan County wold have to be the slight favorite with more certainty returning on their OL.
I can't argue with your breakdown EKU, but if a "close" game is the goal, PCC might be as good an opponent as Belfry can get. All the talk of Cincy teams and non border state squads seems more fan desire than reality. I challenge any Belfry fan to name the last VA, NC, etc opponent. Wheelersburg or Portsmouth seem realistic. Not sure Perry doesn't equate about the same. I hear the point on playing down. A Lexington school would make the most sense if we play up. Or Simon Kenton, etc.
I'm not sure about your prediction EKUAlum05. We normally start out a little shaky and get stronger as the season passes. That may be the same for Belfry, too; I don't know them well enough to comment. Coach Larkey just continues to pound our weaknesses until they improve. I really really like him.
I do think this will be a fantastic game though! With us making tradition every year and Belfry's rich tradition following them; it's sure to be great!!!
Has Belfry looked into playing South Charleston, Wayne, Huntington, Cabell Midland, Capital, Spring Valley, or George Washington?

All those schools are within 1.5 hours in WV and would bring MASSIVE gates.

While WV isn't very good at football as a whole I feel those schools would provide the athletes need to test Belfry at least a little.
Only reason why they do not play those teams from WV is becuase WV's playoff system is based on a point system and if they lose a game they get no points from it and they get no benefit from it. In WV, you can have a 10-0 team who plays an easy schedule ranked lower than an 8-2 team who has played a very tough schedule. From what I understand, you get more points for beating a 3a school than beating a 2a school or a 1a school but if they would beat Belfry they would get maximum points since WV only has 3 class system. In WV, the playoff is set up like the NCAA basketball tournament. There are 16 teams from each class that qualify for the playoff and the 1 seed plays the 16 seed, 2 seed vs. 15 seed, and so on. Just like if Mingo Central played Belfry and lost they would get nothing beneficial out of it. But from what I've heard this is not why Belfry and Mingo Central will not play. It's because Coach Haywood has no respect for Yogi Kinder and doesn't want to play them since he's the coach.
On the point system in WV, this is why you have teams who are 10-0 or 9-1 who don't qualify for the postseason. They have played a soft schedule and arn't really as good as what their record indicates.
What's the latest scuttlebutt? Kids lifting weights?
A 10-0 or 9-1 team will always make the playoffs in WV, they just might be seeded behind an 8-2 team that's played a good schedule. Wayne would be a great opponent for Belfry. Mirror image in hard hitting, old school football. I'd love to see a Mingo Central series start, but I'd imagine that might have to wait until Yogi is gone.
Saab where Sani Warren was invited to US Army Junior combines in San Antonio. Good stuff.
Knoxville Christian Academy, Gallia Academy, Harlan County, Johnson Central, Somerset ... should be a fun season in Pond Creek!
Belfry0304 Wrote:Knoxville Christian Academy, Gallia Academy, Harlan County, Johnson Central, Somerset ... should be a fun season in Pond Creek!

Pretty touch schedule... I hear Knoxville Christian Academy is pretty solid and I know those other teams are!
14-1 state champs, beat Alcoa this year.
Belfry0304 Wrote:14-1 state champs, beat Alcoa this year.

That is what a friend from down that way just texted me when I saw this post, I'm pleased with this schedule for the team... so is it official no Pikeville for next year?
Belfry0304 Wrote:Knoxville Christian Academy, Gallia Academy, Harlan County, Johnson Central, Somerset ... should be a fun season in Pond Creek!

Still missing 2 NC games.
Real Badman Wrote:Still missing 2 NC games.

NC? Confused here. That's what I was told is our schedule right now not counting district and maybe Pikeville.
Pikeville would leave you with one non-conference game to fill.
With Haywood at the helm, the Pirates will always be tough.
Great schedule! Excited to see the one other school they pick up. You really couldn't fault them scheduling a breather team.
Does anybody know where the Knoxville game will be at? Is it Knoxville Christian or Christian Academy of Knoxville because Knoxville Christian is horrible and Christian Academy of Knoxville is really good according to maxpreps. Who is your source who told you these teams were on next year's schedule?
pirateforlife Wrote:Does anybody know where the Knoxville game will be at? Is it Knoxville Christian or Christian Academy of Knoxville because Knoxville Christian is horrible and Christian Academy of Knoxville is really good according to maxpreps. Who is your source who told you these teams were on next year's schedule?

The team we are playing (and traveling to) is the one who won state over Alcoa this past year. According to who told me, we will go to them and Gallia Academy of Ohio will come to us.

An sorry Badman, used to those being called non-district lol
Belfry0304 Wrote:The team we are playing (and traveling to) is the one who won state over Alcoa this past year. According to who told me, we will go to them and Gallia Academy of Ohio will come to us.

An sorry Badman, used to those being called non-district lol

well if its the team that beat Alcoa,Belfry has no shot like Bell didn't a couple yrs ago against Alcoa,just hope they don't get anyone hurt....
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19