Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2013 Belfry Pirates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
cuppett777 Wrote:another waste of talent ,like Blake Newsome...

Dude, we've talked via this website for 4 years that I can remember but posts like this are too much. I agree those kids could be great but to call them a waste of talent just sounds bad. These are kids.
Pirate faithful, if you get a chance check out my "Help nick jamerson out!" thread. His band Sundy Best needs your support, help them put EKY back on the country music map! Thanks guys.
You know, I don't know why this is even relevant but did anyone notice that this years state championship game was Belfry's first overtime game in SIX years and only the fourth since the 2003 state title game? 1-3 in OT games since 03 (W vs. Pburg, L vs. Sheldon Clark, Ashland, and Louisville Central)
About three months from summer practice. Hope the kids are making every day count in the gym and with their training.
PaytoPlay Wrote:About three months from summer practice. Hope the kids are making every day count in the gym and with their training.

Do you live in the area? Sani Warren's vehicle is becoming as common to see at the complex as Coach Haywood's. Love this kid as our leader, and hopefully he grooms a successor.
^ not close enough to see any of that. Great to hear though. Love to see Sani gain a step and become a major threat to run this year.

I saw a twitter video of Justin Johnson squatting some heavy weight a while back.
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ not close enough to see any of that. Great to hear though. Love to see Sani gain a step and become a major threat to run this year.

I saw a twitter video of Justin Johnson squatting some heavy weight a while back.

Here's the most exciting thing about having your core offense back, while you still have to work on timing, it doesn't require as much time to perfect due to experience doing it as it did when Sani was a first year player. So now, instead of perfecting the bread and butter plays to an art, you have that plus time to work on new wrinkles such as advanced option plays, and pass plays. Short pass plays could be the Pirates best friend this year, but just as in 2012 the long pass is not going to work unless the Pirates can pass block. Not as much pressure to pass block on the three step drop passes (that I think we had reasonable success with last year) I really like to think of Keaton as a Wes Welker though he'll play some halfback.
Would love to see Taylor average 1-2 touches per possession on offense. Whether it be short bubbles, intermediate routes, or throwing a wrinkle with personnel and switching him to HB and moving one of the wing backs out wide.
Taylor can be a very good RB IMO, but may be most valuable next season on the outside predominantly.
The more I think about it the three defensive tackles may end up as Nelson, Barnes, and Hatfield with Duty and A. Hatfield at the linebackers. Duty has dropped weight and really looks good, and is a natural athlete that played LB before. That leaves your two defensive end spots, and your two defensive back spots. At the defensive end spots, when Belfry plays teams who look to spread it out and throw it around (Aka NOT Harlan County) there are a few quick options at DE such as Cody Bostic, Reed Williamson, Kaleb Edwards, Davontae Dari, and guys like that. Probably more that I'm leaving out. The power teams is where the issue arises, obviously if unnecessary you could plug Trenity Carr at a defensive end and do your best the 4th. Which is really the same situation as all year last year where Hatfield, May, and Bunch all played it some. Are ya following me?

At the defensive backs, as I've said there's a ton of good options. If the kid keeps his head on straight X Willis deserves a fair shot at corner IF they decide to put Keaton Taylor at safety (which I disagree with but I'm not the coach) ... I think this team is athletic enough to not have to worry TOO much about the DB positions.

Now, for depth... at linebacker there is none. So on teams (if any) we get any kind of lead on they should try plugging kids in who are ALMOST there (Austin Hall, Cole Bentley, Drew Charles, Nate Sanger, Dakota Stanley) .. Dakota is a kid who if he works hard could be a defensive end and tight end that is desperately needed.

Depth on the defensive line, Zack Thompson is there to be your quick nose guard, and Austin Gibbs (who may end up on the line and I will address offense in a later post) may be asked to play it some much like James May did last year. Davontae Dari even played some defensive line last year, could be used for depth. I think Rayquan Horton will get in there at defensive line as well. Another guy is Christian Crum, goes a little small but was really tough as a freshman, went to Mingo Central as a sophomore, played pretty well as a junior so we'll see where he goes.

Actually, let's talk about the offense some...
With some of the stuff I said, that gives you your QB, FB, 2 of 3 main RB's going both ways... man the depth of 12 and 11 will be missed.
Keep preaching it man. Lol

I am counting down the days myself. All of the unanswered questions is what makes it so exciting.
Schedule set. Somerset, Harlan Co., Southwestern, Pikeville, SC, Gallia Academy, Knoxville Christian, Lawrence Co, PC, and JC...5 home 5 away.
bucslover68 Wrote:Schedule set. Somerset, Harlan Co., Southwestern, Pikeville, SC, Gallia Academy, Knoxville Christian, Lawrence Co, PC, and JC...5 home 5 away.

Buc, have u ever seen one that tuff?i only been following Belfry for 12 yrs, and i know i havent,hope they stay injury, maybe they get ove the hump this yr, and if they make it to BG again,this yr i am staying home and then maybe they win it,lol,last 3 yrs i been they lost..
Belfry0304 Wrote:The more I think about it the three defensive tackles may end up as Nelson, Barnes, and Hatfield with Duty and A. Hatfield at the linebackers. Duty has dropped weight and really looks good, and is a natural athlete that played LB before. That leaves your two defensive end spots, and your two defensive back spots. At the defensive end spots, when Belfry plays teams who look to spread it out and throw it around (Aka NOT Harlan County) there are a few quick options at DE such as Cody Bostic, Reed Williamson, Kaleb Edwards, Davontae Dari, and guys like that. Probably more that I'm leaving out. The power teams is where the issue arises, obviously if unnecessary you could plug Trenity Carr at a defensive end and do your best the 4th. Which is really the same situation as all year last year where Hatfield, May, and Bunch all played it some. Are ya following me?

At the defensive backs, as I've said there's a ton of good options. If the kid keeps his head on straight X Willis deserves a fair shot at corner IF they decide to put Keaton Taylor at safety (which I disagree with but I'm not the coach) ... I think this team is athletic enough to not have to worry TOO much about the DB positions.

Now, for depth... at linebacker there is none. So on teams (if any) we get any kind of lead on they should try plugging kids in who are ALMOST there (Austin Hall, Cole Bentley, Drew Charles, Nate Sanger, Dakota Stanley) .. Dakota is a kid who if he works hard could be a defensive end and tight end that is desperately needed.

Depth on the defensive line, Zack Thompson is there to be your quick nose guard, and Austin Gibbs (who may end up on the line and I will address offense in a later post) may be asked to play it some much like James May did last year. Davontae Dari even played some defensive line last year, could be used for depth. I think Rayquan Horton will get in there at defensive line as well. Another guy is Christian Crum, goes a little small but was really tough as a freshman, went to Mingo Central as a sophomore, played pretty well as a junior so we'll see where he goes.

Actually, let's talk about the offense some...
With some of the stuff I said, that gives you your QB, FB, 2 of 3 main RB's going both ways... man the depth of 12 and 11 will be missed.
I think Taylor is the other corner...and .TJ Dotson is your other safety....and as far as the other spots all mentioned can play...the talent is there it's boils down to will they step up and play it....as for as offense goes of course we all know who the skill players are but everyone questions the line....Look at it this way...Correct me if I'm wrong I'm just goin by what i researched from the KHSAA website...which is the depth chart from State Championship games...of the OL in 2012 the only starter from the 2011 squad was Jude....My point is our back ups step up every year...
Jude and Zach Taylor both started on the OL in 2011 and 2012 but the other 3 were first year starters from last year
All of the great competition in the back 8 on defense will be fun to watch unfold. On offense, it will be interesting to see who plays TE.

Like 0304 was alluding to, there might be a need to play a couple more guys both ways. Hopefully that won't be the case but we shall see if enough kids step up to give Haywood the option.
As for the schedule. I don't think I have ever seen such a tough non district schedule. It's going to be an interesting season here at Belfry. I look forward to seeing this team play this tough schedule. They are def preparing for the post season.
Belfry0304 Wrote:Dude, we've talked via this website for 4 years that I can remember but posts like this are too much. I agree those kids could be great but to call them a waste of talent just sounds bad. These are kids.

i know they are, i was his step dad, and to me ,when i left there he didnt play anymore,and it was sad to see...
The schedule is honestly brutal, I think it'll be important to stress to these kids to not expect the 8-2 or 9-1 seasons we've seen in the past 2 years, and not to get their heads down. I read on the other site that the scrimmages are scheduled as Hazard and Richlands, VA. Even the damn scrimmages are tough! LOL. I think it'll pay huge dividends to our young defense.

Here's the thing about tight end, Joey Duty could probably do it but if the right guys don't step up then he has to play tackle, and if he has to play tackle and potentially DL or linebacker, then that sucks. I'd love to just have Joey on defense. I also like the idea of TJ Dotson being the other safety but haven't heard anything about how hard he's working. The lineman will be fine, I hope anyways. Zack Lester and Macky Francis are guaranteed, Zack played a ton last year and was basically the 6th starter. If nothing else, you have Joey Duty to potentially play it and you can try to get Barnes in there. Barnes wants to play offense, but I just worry about his capability to go both ways. I don't really like lineman going both ways anyways. As much as we've had depth and played skill players one way for 2-3 years now, lineman have went mostly one way for even longer. Then, you have Drew Mullins, Austin Gibbs, even perhaps Justin Ferrell or Richard Carroll. None of the freshman lineman are ready for this level yet, and Cole Bentley isn't even ready or he would probably be considered as a lineman for his first year.

Anyways I would consider Richard Nelson, Dakota Stanley, Joey Duty at tight end.

Pirate1991#8, gonna have to text you and tell you a few things about football season as soon as I get in service range, You need iMessage bro!
Belfry0304 Wrote:The schedule is honestly brutal, I think it'll be important to stress to these kids to not expect the 8-2 or 9-1 seasons we've seen in the past 2 years, and not to get their heads down. I read on the other site that the scrimmages are scheduled as Hazard and Richlands, VA. Even the damn scrimmages are tough! LOL. I think it'll pay huge dividends to our young defense.

Here's the thing about tight end, Joey Duty could probably do it but if the right guys don't step up then he has to play tackle, and if he has to play tackle and potentially DL or linebacker, then that sucks. I'd love to just have Joey on defense. I also like the idea of TJ Dotson being the other safety but haven't heard anything about how hard he's working. The lineman will be fine, I hope anyways. Zack Lester and Macky Francis are guaranteed, Zack played a ton last year and was basically the 6th starter. If nothing else, you have Joey Duty to potentially play it and you can try to get Barnes in there. Barnes wants to play offense, but I just worry about his capability to go both ways. I don't really like lineman going both ways anyways. As much as we've had depth and played skill players one way for 2-3 years now, lineman have went mostly one way for even longer. Then, you have Drew Mullins, Austin Gibbs, even perhaps Justin Ferrell or Richard Carroll. None of the freshman lineman are ready for this level yet, and Cole Bentley isn't even ready or he would probably be considered as a lineman for his first year.

Anyways I would consider Richard Nelson, Dakota Stanley, Joey Duty at tight end.

Pirate1991#8, gonna have to text you and tell you a few things about football season as soon as I get in service range, You need iMessage bro!

maybe in the future they can play Richlands in reg season, there usally preatty tuff..
Does anyone know where the Richlands scrimmage will be at?
Monster schedule i love it the hardest one in 15 years maybe longer if no one gets hurt we will be fine i fill good about this season.
After screwing with numbers, I have some stats about every team that went through BMS so far (from Thomas Varney's class to now). Keep in mind these stats are offensive and defensive only no special teams. In that time frame there have been just three freshman starters in those 6 years. That's .5 per class, and average wise one every two years (though they all came 3 straight years) ... if you go with the every 2 years approach we'd be due for one.

Anyways, in that time frame there has been an average of 3 sophomore starters per class. At least two every year in that timeframe (hereby referred to as BMS era) ... most likely candidates to start in 2013 as sophomores would be Austin Gibbs, TJ Dotson, and X Willis. Gonna say 2/3 make the cut this year.

In this era, there's an average of 6.2 junior starters per class. The lowest number is five, with the class of 2010 (headed by Varney & Cisco) being that class. Largely due to the fact that the previous 2008 team was senior heavy (Lee, Elkins, C. Dotson, S. Dotson in skill positions alone, as well as Webb, Coleman, Whetstone on the line. Webb, Hall, Coleman, Dotson, Patrick, Lee, Elkins defensively) ... those five starters were Cisco, Charles, Lovern, Varney, and Patrick. 4 other positions were filled by underclassman. Anyways in relation to this years team there are three incoming juniors who return if you count Keaton Taylor who started 3 different positions. Those returners are Macky Francis, Austin Hatfield, and Keaton Taylor. Dakota Stanley, Ethan Stanley, Kaleb Edwards, and Drew Mullins all have a shot to start at different positions.

And of course, the incoming seniors. The average for starting seniors per class is 8.75. The fewest also goes to the c/o 2010 (senior season 2009) who only had seven but also had by far the fewest players. None to surprising since that team went just 8-4, and was a very young team. These incoming seniors had 8 junior starters (Warren, J. Johnson, Duty, H. Hatfield, C. Johnson, Barnes, Carr, and T. May) HOWEVER, Timmy May quit. So they return 7 starters. Zack Lester figures to start, and others with a chance include Davontae Dari, Cody Bostic, Reed Williamson, Richard Nelson, and several others.

I just thought it was interesting to look at the averages of how many freshman, sophomore, junior, and seniors each class had and how the current kids lineup. They had 8 junior starters while the past 6 years class average has been 8 SENIOR starters so an experienced group returns and is sure to push that average up. The sophomores were right on cue, the average is three sophomore starters per class and that's just what the class of 2015 had. I think it gives you an idea of what to expect for people who don't want to project underclassmen in the starting lineup. This year I'm going to say the freshman come under the average and have 0 starters, but next year I say they go over it and have 4-5 sophomore starters.

This could be completely useless information, I really just like numbers and stats.
bucslover68 Wrote:Schedule set. Somerset, Harlan Co., Southwestern, Pikeville, SC, Gallia Academy, Knoxville Christian, Lawrence Co, PC, and JC...5 home 5 away.

Why is East Ridge not on the schedule?
ImagineThat! Wrote:Why is East Ridge not on the schedule?

Someone correct me if i'm wrong. If i'm not mistaken they have dropped out of district play for the next 2 years.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:Someone correct me if i'm wrong. If i'm not mistaken they have dropped out of district play for the next 2 years.

Yes, that's correct.
I hope they are working hard right now. Harlan County is going to be BIG and physical. If they don't put in the work now, that game might be ugly.
If they aren't working hard now, the entire season will be ugly.
^ Fair enough. Anyone noticeably blowing up this offseason like Trenity Carr did last offseason?
Not like that, no. X Willis has gotten a little taller and broader, looking more like a good sized back and less like a Justin Johnson sized guy (not that his size hurts...) maybe someone else can tell you more.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19