Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2013 Belfry Pirates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
pirate_fan97 Wrote:I think they should be some testing done at belfry high and middle school for steroids I have heard about this for some time and the coaches know it also. Concerned for our kids and the pressure to be bigger, faster and stronger. This will hurt them in the long run.

First off your not a true pirate fan with some ignorant post like that....if your a true pirate fan you would know how hard these boys have been at it at the weight room since last December every day before and after school...and guess who is their with them, a coach...no coach would jeopardsize BELFRY's program for some dumb scrap like that....You don't have to have steroids when your a teenager your testosterone is through the roof...so before you go and try and slander a program who you claim to be a fan of, realize that these kids work their but off in the gym to get bigger faster and stronger the legal and right way.....
Every kid should feel pressure to get bigger, faster, and stronger because that is what it takes to win a competition for playing time. I'm sure a number of the kids use supplements like creative and protein powder. There is no need to do anything other than eat a lot and work hard.

If there is anything amiss, you have to look at parenting not the coaches.
Bring on the needles to check. My boy is 6'5" 260 freshman and 100% free of anything, he doesnt take any weight gain stuff or creatine. So if you want to check him please do so. Why is it when you start talking about people being big some people want to start checking for steriods. Hard works pays off and not to mention he cut so many weeds this summer it helped build him up. Those boys have put in hard work trying to win a champioship and people want to try to blemish it. Mine gets sick when Dr. Johnson has to give him a shot when he is sick so please shut up with the steriod stuff.
pirate_fan97 Wrote:I think they should be some testing done at belfry high and middle school for steroids I have heard about this for some time and the coaches know it also. Concerned for our kids and the pressure to be bigger, faster and stronger. This will hurt them in the long run.

Well technically you could be right...my boy was 6'2" 235 last year as a freshman, Now he is About 6'4" 270 and has been in the gym since December...But the pounds and pounds of chicken,beef and pork and the gallons of milk he has woofed down over those months could have been steroid injected animals...lolTongueirateSho
^ If you two aren't puffing a little bit, that is exciting to think a 6'4" 270 Soph. OT and a 6'5" 260 Frosh. TE lined up next to him.

Throw in Francis and Barnes and it sounds like Belfry is going to be BIG up front.
Come test us, bro.

But if it makes any difference, I do know of kids who have used steroids at the HS level at other schools and no one said a word or brought it up. Don't think that it has anything to do with the name across our chest, do ya? I'm willing to bet you're not a "pirate fan" if you accuse people like that.
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ If you two aren't puffing a little bit, that is exciting to think a 6'4" 270 Soph. OT and a 6'5" 260 Frosh. TE lined up next to him.

Throw in Francis and Barnes and it sounds like Belfry is going to be BIG up front.

No Puffing, that's how big they are....
Been telling people that i was really impressed with the size. Didnt say these boys looked like greek gods, cut and stuff. But the arms and chest is big. Not to much belly on any of them, including Mr Barnes, he has really been working hard at practice. Got to say seeing the difference in him this year and last is amazing. He has slimmed down from last year and working hard. He is showing some good leadership skills also. Tries to push the other when they start slowing down, like a leader should. Love the fact that Cole goes against him every day in drills, its only going to make them both better. This could be one of the biggest line that has hit the field for Belfry in some time. But they are young and going to take a few games to get it all together. I know by the time November rolls around they will be clicking on all cylinders.
It will take time. I think everyone understands that. Hopefully the oline can get clicking pretty well early. If so, we should be able to score points.

The defense might be a different story with a lot of youth and inexperience. I think they might give up a lot of points early on, but hopefully get better every week and are ready to get stingy come playoffs.
Makes it easy to grow up fast playing a tough schedule!
no puffing here. at Alabama they measured and weighed him, 6'5" 255 but hard to believe when he got on the scales the other day he had gained 5 pounds. so right now he is 6'5" 260. Think he said he needed to gain 5 more pounds of muscle during season so he could be 265. if he grows anymore he needs to put on 15 pounds for every inch.
BELFRY is gonna have a big line for the next several years...
I agree, when you look at the young players even at the middle school this year they are big kids. Just wish I knew all the kids names, that would make it a lot easier. I only know a couple of the boys but from what I can tell there is about 7-8 lineman with good size. Moving Duty back to linebacker I think will be a good move, he seems to find the ball real easy. Made a few good stops behind the line the last practice I got to see. Sorry if I havent mentioned anyones kids on here but like i said with numbers on their jerseys most of them look the same. I think your boy has got the tight side tackle down pretty good and probably will move to wide side next year beside Cole when Barnes is gone. Hopefully by next year Cole can secure him a tight end job.
proud44pirate Wrote:I agree, when you look at the young players even at the middle school this year they are big kids. Just wish I knew all the kids names, that would make it a lot easier. I only know a couple of the boys but from what I can tell there is about 7-8 lineman with good size. Moving Duty back to linebacker I think will be a good move, he seems to find the ball real easy. Made a few good stops behind the line the last practice I got to see. Sorry if I havent mentioned anyones kids on here but like i said with numbers on their jerseys most of them look the same. I think your boy has got the tight side tackle down pretty good and probably will move to wide side next year beside Cole when Barnes is gone. Hopefully by next year Cole can secure him a tight end job.

Honestly i think he will have it locked by years end. If not off the bat....the two scrimmages will tel the tell.......first three games gonna be rough on everyone....but by season we will be running smooth just like always, pending no key injuries...
Pirate1991#8 Wrote:Honestly i think he will have it locked by years end. If not off the bat....the two scrimmages will tel the tell.......first three games gonna be rough on everyone....but by season we will be running smooth just like always, pending no key injuries...

Somerset actually is a good matchup for Belfry in terms of the fact their weakness (size, strength) plays to Belfry's strength (power running game, physicality), and their strength (veteran leadership and speed at the skill positions) does not necessarily exploit Belfry's weakness (a massive question mark in the Front 7).

Harlan County, OTOH, on paper appears to be a team tailor made to hurt Belfry where they are their youngest on Defense and offensively Belfry will be running right into the teeth of what HCHS defends the best.
^ Agree with that completely EKU. I worry about our LB'ers and DE's against Harlan Co.
WV all star coach In local Hatfield vs McCoy bowl stated. "I always hear a lot about there line at Belfry, but they never show me much in this game. I think the competition is weak over there". To bad Haywood doesn't schedule Mingo Central, I would love to see them get a taste of Belfrys line clicking on all cylinders running the vere down there throat!
I would too lunaticfringe. Belfry would put a running clock on Mingo and rush for over 400 yards if Haywood tried to but he's not like that he would take his starters out before it got that bad. Belfry would crush anytime in southwestern WV besides Wayne County and I still think Belfry would beat them by 2 TD's. I'd love to see a border battle between the 2 states. Games would be as follows.

Belfry vs Wayne County
Johnson Central vs Logan which we've already seen the past couple years and Johnson Central beats them like a drum.
East Ridge vs Tug Valley
Pikeville vs Chapmanville
Pike Central vs Mingo Central
Ashland vs any team from Charleston since last year they beat the number 1 ranked team in the whole state of WV in George Washington
Betsy Layne vs Tolsia
Prestonsburg vs Man

What's everyones opinion about these matchups?
I would probably take Lawrence Co vs Tolsia since they are directly across the river from eachother and change Shelby valley vs tug valley. The rest looks great. I see a all Ky dominance there. Talk about a huge gate, those games played in a two day span at one location would bring in huge revenue. Problem is WV point System it kills there playoff chances to play a game and loose. If the were to win against a bigger class opponent the rack up some points. Just don't see much confidence on the winning part.
lunaticfringe Wrote:WV all star coach In local Hatfield vs McCoy bowl stated. "I always hear a lot about there line at Belfry, but they never show me much in this game. I think the competition is weak over there". To bad Haywood doesn't schedule Mingo Central, I would love to see them get a taste of Belfrys line clicking on all cylinders running the vere down there throat!

If there is no competition how come the good players from west Virginia come to BELFRY....Here is why Coach Haywood instead of Yogi Kinder....And ever who the kid that coached the WV all stars...he now's nothin about competition at .MC., Pikeville would put a running clock on .MC,
I agree ^
You can read it online. Williamson daily news.
Pirate1991#8 Wrote:If there is no competition how come the good players from west Virginia come to BELFRY....Here is why Coach Haywood instead of Yogi Kinder....And ever who the kid that coached the WV all stars...he now's nothin about competition at .MC., Pikeville would put a running clock on .MC,

Knows nothing about competition? Hmmmm.
Last season, Mingo Central played the toughest schedule in the state
of West Virginia, playing 2 out of 3 State Champions:
Wayne Pioneers
Wheeling Central Maroon Knights

No, the Miners didn't win, but to say they don't know about competition is totally false....
that coach has been taking to much or something illegal to make that comment,lol, the article also said that Trent was the defenseive MVP,i watched it from 2q on and that either Messer from Belfry should have got it,and close 2nd should have been the Shouse kid from Breahitt.
His name is joey fields from.matewan. hes only like 22. Ashland isn't even top 25.in ky and beat the best team in west Virginia last.year.on the road
I read the article also. I couldn't care less. Lets focus on this coming season and winning a state title.

How did practice go yesterday and today? Are certain kids rising to the top In the battles for open spots, or are these fights going to continue into the first scrimmage and beyond?
pirateforlife00 Wrote:His name is joey fields from.matewan. hes only like 22. Ashland isn't even top 25.in ky and beat the best team in west Virginia last.year.on the road

The funny thing is that Joey actually played at Belfry his freshman and maybe his sophomore year or part of that year........and he WASN'T very good!!!!! As usual he is VERY good at running his mouth bashing Belfry Football. The H-M game always seems to turn into a WV vs. Belfry game in the post-game comments!!! Its my opinion that Coach Haywood should boycott sending players to play in the game like most E.KY coaches seem to be doing. But its ultimately the former players decision to play or not. Now back to talking about the 2013 season......
good luck to the pirates on the up coming season .hope u make it back to title game. will take a strong effort from u guys and to mr khsaa district player of the year stay healthy and have fun with it .
Nice post man. I think everyone is excited about what Justin Johnson can do if he is able to run physical and still stay healthy. I hope the young man has a injury free season.

Speaking of running backs - who other than Carr, Johnson, and Hatfield are seeing reps in practice at either RB or FB. What is the two deep in the backfield so to speak?

Who is taking backup QB snaps? Taylor, Wellman, or Catron?
Wish it could happen. That would be a great night of football for the entire area. Maybe split it up into two nights of games. Mingo Central could host one night and Belfry the next. Then the following year play it at two other fields. Someone get to work on it and make it happen. Do we need to get the governors involved. lol
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19