Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2013 Belfry Pirates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
I am curious to see if Xondre Willis, Devontae Dari, or Kaleb Edwards can press for a few carries.
Any word on the offensive line this year? Are the Bucs going to be young upfront or was there soph and juniors waiting in the wings to get there shot last year. In typical Belfry fashion are they reloading or do they have to rebuild?
^ Others will know more than me, but I think they should be able to put out a decent offensive line. Francis returns at center, Lester should be decent at guard. After that there is less know. Joey Duty can play o-line if called upon, but I am sure Coach would prefer not to have to.

I think most expect Drew Mullins (Jr) will win one of the spots. Barnes could always play o-line if it was absolutely necessary, but that would limit his snaps at Nose.

Who will play and how good they will be -- this will definately be a theme to watch as practice gets going and the scrimmages are held.
Here is my opinion, I do think the line will be fine although its wide open for anyone except Macky Francis he is the only one that started last year.....As far as Duty and Barnes, tell me the last time Belfry had an O lineman go both ways, its been a while...I do think duty is your tight end...BARNES IMO just plays Nose, there is a lot of young lineman that can start but is up to them to get it and keep it....Now IMO Lester who was Back up last year and is a Sr he gets a spot, and your JV lineman last year were Mullins,Gibbs,Stanley,Ferrell....It's wide open, now I do know the above mentioned have been working hard all year and have bulked up so we will see how coach puts em in place but one thing is for sure, whoever plays will be ready because The reasons Belfry have been so successful is because of the Line
I Agree with the success of the Bucs throughout the years has been largely due to having a solid offensive line. This years offense can be very explosive with the amount of skill players returning, but as we all know the offense starts with the men in the trenches. I was just curious about how the slots vacated by last years class would be filled. Thanks #8
I'm becoming more and more sure that our line will be made up of Francis, Lester, Mullins, Stanley, and Gibbs. Barnes is there if absolutely necessary, Duty as well.

I think Dakota Stanley and if he comes out, Timmy May, should compete for tight end.
Hope Timmy shows out for practice.
Here's my latest draft for you... Keep in mind this could be wrong. Just what I think today, and yes it changes daily.

QB - Sani Warren
FB - Austin Hatfield
HB - Trenity Carr/Justin Johnson
WR - Keaton Taylor
TE - Dakota Stanley
OT - Austin Gibbs
OG - Zack Lester
C - Macky Francis
OG - Drew Mullins
OT - Ethan Stanley

DE - Dakota Stanley/Timmy May
DT - Hayden Hatfield/Richard Nelson
NG - Michael Barnes
LB - Joey Duty/Austin Hatfield
CB - Sani Warren, Keaton Taylor
S - Cameron Johnson/Davontae Dari

The key to that is if Timmy plays... if he doesn't then I think potentially perhaps Hayden to defensive end and Ray Horton at DT. The CB/S is the only one I don't feel real good about, it's anyones to grab. TE could also be too, but that's what I think... today.
Belfry0304 Wrote:Here's my latest draft for you... Keep in mind this could be wrong. Just what I think today, and yes it changes daily.

QB - Sani Warren
FB - Austin Hatfield
HB - Trenity Carr/Justin Johnson
WR - Keaton Taylor
TE - Dakota Stanley
OT - Austin Gibbs
OG - Zack Lester
C - Macky Francis
OG - Drew Mullins
OT - Ethan Stanley

DE - Dakota Stanley/Timmy May
DT - Hayden Hatfield/Richard Nelson
NG - Michael Barnes
LB - Joey Duty/Austin Hatfield
CB - Sani Warren, Keaton Taylor
S - Cameron Johnson/Davontae Dari

The key to that is if Timmy plays... if he doesn't then I think potentially perhaps Hayden to defensive end and Ray Horton at DT. The CB/S is the only one I don't feel real good about, it's anyones to grab. TE could also be too, but that's what I think... today.

whos going to be Sani back up?and who is the backup fb? i hate to see those 2 guys play the whole game and get injured or tired or any body else that play both ways,it looks like it could be atleast 4 playes by that list..
^ I think K. Taylor may end up at safety. I don't disagree that CB might be a more natural position.

Oline and DE is still a concern IMO. I know Lester played some last season but he isn't a real big kid. Replacing the size and experience of Jude, Taylor, May, and Tuffy won't be easy.

I haven't seen the guys slated to step into those roles play. I hope they have been getting strong and in shape - and are physical to boot.
We really need Cameron Johnson to maximize his potential and play smart in the back of that secondary. He was solid last season but will be counted on to do more I would this this campaign.
Cuppett777,
Guys have played both ways at Belfry for years, don't let the last few years spoil us. Those two are too good not to. I'm sure after a sizeable lead they will have guys in for those two kids.

PayToPlay,
I agree, unfortunately, but I think we'll be in bad shape if that's the case. I don't think Zack Lester is much smaller than anyone besides Jude who started last year.
Belfry0304 Wrote:Cuppett777,
Guys have played both ways at Belfry for years, don't let the last few years spoil us. Those two are too good not to. I'm sure after a sizeable lead they will have guys in for those two kids.

PayToPlay,
I agree, unfortunately, but I think we'll be in bad shape if that's the case. I don't think Zack Lester is much smaller than anyone besides Jude who started last year.

^^^^
for the 1st part of that statment i am aware of that,but it used to be alot more than 4, just glad to see they have the players that they dont have to do that as much as in the past..
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ I think K. Taylor may end up at safety. I don't disagree that CB might be a more natural position.

Oline and DE is still a concern IMO. I know Lester played some last season but he isn't a real big kid. Replacing the size and experience of Jude, Taylor, May, and Tuffy won't be easy.

I haven't seen the guys slated to step into those roles play. I hope they have been getting strong and in shape - and are physical to boot.

I agree with the experience being an issue for the line...As far as size it will be about the same if not a little bigger.....the biggest hurdle for the line is the timing once they get it down we will be fine......
Will the Pirates have enough horses to stay on the top of the mtn or will HC knock them off in the 2nd week of the season. Good luck to both teams.
Guys i am ready for some Pirate Football this u team will be ready.
There year this year see them winnng 3A state championship
I too am ready. All of the unknowns and competition for open spots make this summer practice as exciting as it has been in recent years.

I hope there are good numbers out for practice next Monday.
Lot of kids turn out to get equipment?
What are the dates/time/locations of the scrimmages?

At Raceland 7 on 7 today and makes me that much eager to here some pads pop.
I expect a great year out of Belfry this year. To return all your skill players is a huge plus for a team from the mountains. One thing that has held true over the years for Belfry is they can always reload up front.
Was told today that in 7 on 7 against Hazard our corners were Taylor and Willis with Johnson and Kaleb Edwards at safety. Perhaps no Sani at CB this year? Also, Joey Duty played linebacker as well as Dakota Stanley but Stanley you'd have to think was because Hatfield didn't make it due to a camp
^ Great update man. Coach may just want to keep Austin at DE, where he played more last season. Duty at LB looking more and more like a reality.

How did the guys do in the competition?
Region4 Wrote:Will the Pirates have enough horses to stay on the top of the mtn or will HC knock them off in the 2nd week of the season. Good luck to both teams.

Don't overlook Somerset in Week 1. could be a mistake to take this group lightly.
Belfry0304 Wrote:Was told today that in 7 on 7 against Hazard our corners were Taylor and Willis with Johnson and Kaleb Edwards at safety. Perhaps no Sani at CB this year? Also, Joey Duty played linebacker as well as Dakota Stanley but Stanley you'd have to think was because Hatfield didn't make it due to a camp

are you talking about justin johnson at corner?
^ no. He said Willis and Taylor at CB.

The only reference to Johnson was at safety, and that is returning starter Cameron Johnson.
Cellking Wrote:Don't overlook Somerset in Week 1. could be a mistake to take this group lightly.

TongueirateSho belfry will beat somerset.and belfry was my no.1 pick in the mts but I have to pick Harlan co. Because it's closer to Williamsburg.I wish somerset,belfry and Harlan co a great season :Cheerlead:Cheerlead:Cheerlead
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ no. He said Willis and Taylor at CB.

The only reference to Johnson was at safety, and that is returning starter Cameron Johnson.

i meant safety,and i didnt think justin played defense anyway,thanks
Cellking Wrote:Don't overlook Somerset in Week 1. could be a mistake to take this group lightly.

Don't think he is a Belfry fan.

Belfry's schedule this season is too tough to overlook anyone on their non-district slate. Somerset will be a phenomenal test to open the season.
^ Completely agree. Lots of unproven kids will be asked to do a lot. It remains to be seen how they respond.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19