Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2013 Belfry Pirates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
How was the first practice today? Anyone got any ideas on how it went? I'd say today was mostly a big running day and conditioning because I think it's at least 10 practices before you can put on the pads. Knowing Coach Haywood he doesn't already have his mine made up and everyone on the team will have to earn their spots before game 1. Who ever puts in the effort and want to to play will be the starters come week 1 and then it's their jobs to keep it from there.
Any
Anyone with updates on how things have looked for the pirates? How many players showed up? How does size and speed look? Just curious, two days in now and not one word is strangely odd!
its a secret,lol
Got to watch the morning practice and all i can say is wow. The size and speed is really crazy. Was really impressed with Barnes at offensive tackle. He has sheed a few pounds and put some speed on this year. The rest of the line looks really solid, if i knew more names i could tell you more, but with helmets on I dont know the kids. Of course Francis will dominate anyone they put in front of him in the middle. The backfield is fast and looks like every one of them have put some muscle on. Really impressed with the team, only had around 60 out this morning and 20 plus was freshmen. If I learn all the kids names i will try to post who they have on the front 5.
Thanks for the update! So they are going twice a day right now? Is the idea to get in ten practices and move into pads next week?

I was hoping the numbers would be around 70 or at least closer to it. Any chance there are any kids still on vacation or at camps?

Any notable no shows? Timmy May?
I'm gonna go out on a limb after hearing what every one has said, and guess that Barnes is no longer your nose guard. Aside from Harlan County we won't see much power football anyways.
^ Get out there and watch a practice for us so you can give an update man! Will be able to see it more clearly when pads are on though.
I had a feeling Haywood would want to play Barnes on offense. I think my posts have born that out. My guess is he ultimately will NOT to that if he can. Coach knows his best weapon (no matter what) is moving the chains. I am guessing he wants someone to step up and seize that O tackle spot, but if not, it is nice to have a big kid like Barnes who can fill that role.
WOW, 60 is a low number for Belfry, and only 40 upper classmen..
Going to be at the morning practice tomorrow. So hopefully I will ask Cole some of the other kids names. But really have to say I am really impressed with what is out.
What's the word on the scrimmages?

Is Hazard Home or Away?

Is Richlands, VA Home or Away?

Which one is which date?
I'm wanting to say they're both away.

7 on 7 today @ Belfry vs. Hazard
EKUAlum05 Wrote:What's the word on the scrimmages?

Is Hazard Home or Away?

Is Richlands, VA Home or Away?

Which one is which date?

They are both away.....hazard is the Friday two weeks before the Pike county bowl and richlands is the Friday week before the PCB

I don't have my sheet with me with the dates...
proud44pirate Wrote:Going to be at the morning practice tomorrow. So hopefully I will ask Cole some of the other kids names. But really have to say I am really impressed with what is out.

If ya see mine slackin let him have it...lol....GIBBS #53
Anyone check out the 7 on 7 action? How'd they look?
Actually was really impressed with how hard he worked. He has really showed some great strength. He has got some guns on him now. Looks like we may have a really young line but a good one and after they jell watch out.
proud44pirate Wrote:Actually was really impressed with how hard he worked. He has really showed some great strength. He has got some guns on him now. Looks like we may have a really young line but a good one and after they jell watch out.

It's killing me not to be there watching....hopefully i get them retirement orders soon....I keep hearing good things about alto of em...Austin has worked hard, he wants it, i just hope he can get it and keep it....
There is so many good lineman this year. I was worried with the way people was talking about them being so young but they all want the spots so they are working. A lot of them have really good foot work and that will take them a long way on the line.
Probably my favorite thing I've heard yet is that a coach told Austin Gibbs "it's yours, take it..." and he replied "I'll take every bit of it" .. love the confidence.

Yeah Coach Tackett really focused on footwork this offseason!
proud44pirate Wrote:There is so many good lineman this year. I was worried with the way people was talking about them being so young but they all want the spots so they are working. A lot of them have really good foot work and that will take them a long way on the line.

I agree....that's why i always say BELFRY always has young kids wanting to hear that name over the loud speaker and run through that tunnel..We always have young kids willing to step it up
Belfry0304 Wrote:Probably my favorite thing I've heard yet is that a coach told Austin Gibbs "it's yours, take it..." and he replied "I'll take every bit of it" .. love the confidence.

Yeah Coach Tackett really focused on footwork this offseason!

That makes me more proud than anything...He was always a shy kid grown up and since i brought him back to BELFRY he has came outta his shell...I use to push and push him to play defense, but he told me that he loved opening holes for running backs to run through...
Best backs in the world are just backs without the men upfront, I look forward to watching Austin and the rest of the line develop this year. If that line starts getting in sync and can focus on there job. This years team could be dangerous with all the skill players returning.
Gonna say that I believe one guard spot is all that I'm worried about and if Drew Mullins shows what he can do, we're gonna have a good offensive line.
Hey 0304, if you had to put money on who would be the 5 starting lineman on offense if their was a game this Friday, what would you say? Is the backfield gonna be Hatfield at fb with Carr and Johnson at hb with Taylor as a splint end? Is Joey Duty going to have to play one of the 5 spots or is he going to be able to play tight end? What about big Barnes? I can't see him being in good enough shape to play offense and defense playing 80 plus snaps a game. So I'd say he plays noseguard and Coach finds someone else to play tackle.
Serious question for Belfry fans, not meant as a dig at the coaching at all. What they do has brought a ton of success to Pond Creek. But would some like to see the Pirates spread it out every now and then? It seems like they are built for that type of offense this year, just from what I know about them. They looked really good in a "wildcat" type shotgun approach versus Pikeville for a few plays last year.

I think their ground attack has a lot more to do with the game than just scoring, i.e. running clock, keep defense fresh, etc... Just throwing it out there for discussion. Certainly something to at least entertain.
Coach Haywood's philosophy is getting 3.34 yards every play because that means a first down every 3 plays and the clock keeps moving and as long as his offense is on the field and the clock is running that means that's less time for the other team to score. Coach Haywood would rather have a 10 play 70 yard drive that took 5 minutes off the clock to score than to have a 2 play 70 scoring drive that takes 30 seconds off the clock.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Serious question for Belfry fans, not meant as a dig at the coaching at all. What they do has brought a ton of success to Pond Creek. But would some like to see the Pirates spread it out every now and then? It seems like they are built for that type of offense this year, just from what I know about them. They looked really good in a "wildcat" type shotgun approach versus Pikeville for a few plays last year.

I think their ground attack has a lot more to do with the game than just scoring, i.e. running clock, keep defense fresh, etc... Just throwing it out there for discussion. Certainly something to at least entertain.

My biggest criticism has always been not so much the infrequency of the pass as much as what happens when the Pirates do pass. If Belfry cannot be stopped on the ground I could not care if they ever put it in the air.

My gripe comes with obvious passing downs ( 3rd and 15) that Belfry still lines up in the belly series and play action the FB.i dont like that it takes so much time for the QB to drop back and when he does he has basically not even looked downfield. This leads to sacks, increased pressure, and more times than not throwing to a spot instead of an open receiver.

My other critique over the years has been the deficiency of anintermediate threat. I say 80%of the passes Belfry has thrown have been over 20 yards downfield. Hard to argue the logic.. as typically it is a wide open shot... but in the event of a good defense with speedy safeties like Central they will dare Belfry to take the chance downfield relying on their pressure and recovery while never having to really vary their defense. Deep passes take time to develop once again playing into the previous point about sacks and pressure.

I have always wanted to see more quick intermediate routes to the TE just behind the LB's and the utilization of more hitches and flares forcing the defense and linebsckers to stretch themselves out and helping free up the interior run game. Teams who have success stipping Belfry typically have athletic LB's who play inside first then uses their speed to get good angles to recover outside.If a LB is forced to read a little longer due tothe threat of the TE sitting down or a hitch to a SE who is 1 on 1 it may make the difference in that extra step or two on the sweeps or options outside.
One thing to note: Belfry is now playing a lot of kids ONE way. This gets more kids in the starting lineup and gets more kids more snaps, in addition. To keeping players fresh. I see it as a real advantage frankly.
they could also use Taylor on some bubble screens..
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19