Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2013 Belfry Pirates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
I said earlier in this post that Taylor could be dangerous with the bubble screen, he has the speed and playmaking ability to convert some of the longer yard situations into first downs. To me there's nothing prettier then watching a long drive eat up almost a whole quarter. Watching the other team physically throw In the towel. Only way to really defend it, when Belfry is clicking on all cylinders is fake some cramps. ( Aka Ashland)
PT,

In regards to your question I was thinking about it and wanted to make one other point.

I look at the personnel on this year's Belfry team and I can't help but think how absolutely lethal they would be running a variation of the read option. Could you imagine Sani being able to survey the field out of the gun and his already impressive ability to keep the ball tucked in the backs stomach to the very last second? Carr would be the perfect back with Hatfield being your change of pace back. Use Justin Johnson in the slot... ring him around on jet sweeps where he can use his quickness. Then you have Taylor and Dari at WR. Absolutely tailor made for the read option!

With that said, Haywood's system is predicated on consistency, interchangeable parts, and repetition. Yes, this Belfry team would be damn good out of the spread.. the problem is when you coach at a small school you are at the mercy of the talent pool that feeds it. Some years it is up, some years it is down, some years you get power backs, some years you get athletes. All too often I think coaches at the HS level at smaller schools either try to shove a square peg into a round hole or the flip side is they cut and burn and have to rebuild every other year forcing young players to hinder their development.

The beauty of Haywood's offense and philosophy is when you look at these Belfry teams: 2006 and 2010.

2006: This was a young team with the probably the second shallowest running back depth of the past decade. I loved the way Chapman and Epling played, but those guys were not your typical Belfry backs you are accustomed to. All in all this was not a very talented Belfry team. Nonetheless, this team found their stride and reached the State Semi-Finals. It also set up the 2007 Belfry team which came back the next year and was absolutely loaded (and should have won a Title but I digress)

2010: This is all about youth. Belfry was bad in 2009 as they fielded one of their youngest teams ever, 2010 was supposed to be a "bridge year".. then 2011 and 2012 were supposed to be the years Belfry returned to the top. What happened though was through repetition and those moving parts is Belfry started to gel ahead of schedule and got on fire in the playoffs and reached the Finals.

IMHO, neither of those teams have the success they do..or set up the success of the teams that follow them, without Haywood's system. Now what is about to be interesting is to see how this season and the next three seasons play out as the talent pool level rises.
Nice post EKU
Knowing that the talent pool is rising, does anyone think any of this talented freshmen class coming In will see playing time this year?
I think Catron has a chance to see minutes in the Secondary where Belfry needs depth.

I think Bentley will see some time at TE..especially when Belfry goes double tight. Probably will not start, but may definitely see minutes.

Horton has a chance to see significant minutes on defense as I think he may be the most physically ready and the Front 7 needs as much depth as it can get.
^ those were the three I was going to list. If I were guessing, I would say Horton, Bentley, Catron in that order will contribute.

I think Austin Hall could be awesome but needs a year to fill out. Fletcher has good size and great potential as well.

The place kicker should start.
pirateforlife00 Wrote:Hey 0304, if you had to put money on who would be the 5 starting lineman on offense if their was a game this Friday, what would you say? Is the backfield gonna be Hatfield at fb with Carr and Johnson at hb with Taylor as a splint end? Is Joey Duty going to have to play one of the 5 spots or is he going to be able to play tight end? What about big Barnes? I can't see him being in good enough shape to play offense and defense playing 80 plus snaps a game. So I'd say he plays noseguard and Coach finds someone else to play tackle.

Here's what I'm gonna say, I think if there was a game Friday your line would be... Barnes, Lester, Francis, Fields, Gibbs... and that has potential to be a damn good offensive line since Zac Fields came back out. The backfield in my opinion would be like you said with Taylor out wide. From what I've heard Bentley and Horton (freshman) are working tight end with Stanley and Duty on defense only. The way I understand, they're looking to find a new nose guard.

Taking Barnes off of defense and only having 3 LBs screams 4-3 to me. Probably won't happen but also probably wouldn't hurt.
If there is ever a year Belfry could go without a Nose Guard it may be this season. Harlan County and Johnson Central are really the only running teams they will see. Lots of spread teams on the schedule and the Eastern Semi-State will be spread heavy as well.

Speaking of the spread and FYI,

The Richlands, VA scrimmage should be a nice test.

I have seen two different rankings that have them at Pre-Season #2 and #3 in their class respectively, each having them receive a First Place Vote.

Supposedly they run the spread and have a Veteran QB back as well.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:If there is ever a year Belfry could go without a Nose Guard it may be this season. Harlan County and Johnson Central are really the only running teams they will see. Lots of spread teams on the schedule and the Eastern Semi-State will be spread heavy as well.

Speaking of the spread and FYI,

The Richlands, VA scrimmage should be a nice test.

I have seen two different rankings that have them at Pre-Season #2 and #3 in their class respectively, each having them receive a First Place Vote.

Supposedly they run the spread and have a Veteran QB back as well.
there always around the top of there class and like to throw it all over the park or they used to anyway,when I seen them..
What about Drew Mullins and Ethan Stanley on the o-line? I thought that's what everyone was talking about about a month back? I know this really doesn't matter right now and we shouldn't be talking about next year but next year is going to be the complete opposite of this year in terms of losing people. This year we have to replace the line and returned almost every skill player and next year we'll return most of the line and lose almost every skill player.
I thought Bentley might see some time at the defensive tackle or defensive end position. Big athletic kid with some really good skills from what I've been reading and from some really big camps.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:PT,

In regards to your question I was thinking about it and wanted to make one other point.

I look at the personnel on this year's Belfry team and I can't help but think how absolutely lethal they would be running a variation of the read option. Could you imagine Sani being able to survey the field out of the gun and his already impressive ability to keep the ball tucked in the backs stomach to the very last second? Carr would be the perfect back with Hatfield being your change of pace back. Use Justin Johnson in the slot... ring him around on jet sweeps where he can use his quickness. Then you have Taylor and Dari at WR. Absolutely tailor made for the read option!

With that said, Haywood's system is predicated on consistency, interchangeable parts, and repetition. Yes, this Belfry team would be damn good out of the spread.. the problem is when you coach at a small school you are at the mercy of the talent pool that feeds it. Some years it is up, some years it is down, some years you get power backs, some years you get athletes. All too often I think coaches at the HS level at smaller schools either try to shove a square peg into a round hole or the flip side is they cut and burn and have to rebuild every other year forcing young players to hinder their development.

The beauty of Haywood's offense and philosophy is when you look at these Belfry teams: 2006 and 2010.

2006: This was a young team with the probably the second shallowest running back depth of the past decade. I loved the way Chapman and Epling played, but those guys were not your typical Belfry backs you are accustomed to. All in all this was not a very talented Belfry team. Nonetheless, this team found their stride and reached the State Semi-Finals. It also set up the 2007 Belfry team which came back the next year and was absolutely loaded (and should have won a Title but I digress)

2010: This is all about youth. Belfry was bad in 2009 as they fielded one of their youngest teams ever, 2010 was supposed to be a "bridge year".. then 2011 and 2012 were supposed to be the years Belfry returned to the top. What happened though was through repetition and those moving parts is Belfry started to gel ahead of schedule and got on fire in the playoffs and reached the Finals.

IMHO, neither of those teams have the success they do..or set up the success of the teams that follow them, without Haywood's system. Now what is about to be interesting is to see how this season and the next three seasons play out as the talent pool level rises.
I agree with all of that haha.

That is why I brought the question up. I had the same thoughts you did about how good that skill could be in that system. But like you, I understand why they do what they do.
When do they get into full pads?

I seem to recall people really talking up Fields last year before he decided not to play. I am pleased to hear he is out and playing well. Wasn't he one of the best Pirates on the diamond?

What about kids like Nate Sanger, Brandon Church, and Zach Thompson?
Pirateforlife00, I don't know what's with those kids, maybe just getting outplayed. That's why my predictions are usually wrong. Hopefully those two can be solid backups, or starters and the guys pegged in solid backups. Depth!!!
Like i said i dont know the kids names yet so not sure which one of the kids your talking about. But they keep switching the kids in about every 3-4 plays and you cant tell much difference in any of them. Plus they have enough lineman to have some of them on defense while they work 7-8 of them on the offense. But almost all of them are getting snaps on both side of the ball. I am going to practice again thursday morning and hope to find out some of the other kids names since my oldest son is going with me.
^ Awesome proud. Is your boy working exclusively at TE or is he playing some defense too?

Keep the reports coming as they are greatly appreciated.
those young lineman are hungry, none of them have a secured spot at this time (only Francis at center)...just cause they are the first team in practice or at the scrimmage games dont mean they get the start at the PCB....like I told mine, IF you do get the start, you better be good enough to keep it...outta all the names stated any of them could give us a good line, they wont be much difference between the back ups and the starter, Man I wouldnt wanna be the coach pickin the starters its gotta be a tough one...
When do they get to put the pads on or have they already? That's when we will be able to tell more. Anyone can look good in just helmets and shorts.
pirateforlife00 Wrote:When do they get to put the pads on or have they already? That's when we will be able to tell more. Anyone can look good in just helmets and shorts.

Yesterday first full pads and hitting...
How did everything look? Did Coach let them go full speed with pads on or did he just take it slow the first day? Pike County Bowl is exactly 4 weeks from this Friday!
pirateforlife00 Wrote:How did everything look? Did Coach let them go full speed with pads on or did he just take it slow the first day? Pike County Bowl is exactly 4 weeks from this Friday!

From what my boy said, they did 3 on three on the line...they been at it...
Keep in mind these kids have been running this same offense since they were in grade school. Now it comes down to technique, work ethic and desire. Should be some great battles for the open starting positions. Sounds like Belfry has a good problem, reloading the line. To think we were worried!
cuppett777 Wrote:there always around the top of there class and like to throw it all over the park or they used to anyway,when I seen them..
When and where are they going to play? I've been wanting to see this match-up for a while. I have followed and watched both teams and I have wondered how the old school vs. new school philosophy would turn out between these mountain teams.
big orange T Wrote:When and where are they going to play? I've been wanting to see this match-up for a while. I have followed and watched both teams and I have wondered how the old school vs. new school philosophy would turn out between these mountain teams.

16th @ Richlands is what we are being told

Will probably be a traditional Haywood style scrimmage. Situationals, Special Teams, maybe even some 7 on 7... then the scrimmage portion will be alternating 10 play series
My stepdad graduated from Richlands, so I can't wait for that. One of the players Instagrammed a great pic of our backfield... Saw some number changes too. Dari is now #11, Zac Fields #59, and for the freshman Horton #23, Catron #10, Fletcher #1
Which number did Cole Bentley get? Did he get 44 since Madison Ghormley graduated?
Yes Cole got lucky and got 44. Right now they are working him both sides. Tight end and defensive tackle. But got to say its going to be hard to get playing time on defense since they are wanting to try to keep the lineman from playing both ways. The practices have been really good and the boys are working harder than i have seen before. You can tell we have the entire group wanting to get on the field. Lots of good lineman this year and considering the backfield we have, we only need to make some small holes and they can break it. Probably one of the best all around teams i have seen. No big super stars just a bunch of kids wanting to win it all and working hard to do it. Might be a little tuff at the begining of the year but by the end of the year should gel together.
I'm ready for some pirate football.
I wish I could see them in person. Super pumped for football. I thought this would be a super exciting summer due to so many open spots and seemingly a large number of kids competing for each spot. I bet the practices are pretty intense as everyone is trying to get on the field.
I think they should be some testing done at belfry high and middle school for steroids I have heard about this for some time and the coaches know it also. Concerned for our kids and the pressure to be bigger, faster and stronger. This will hurt them in the long run.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19