Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2013 Belfry Pirates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
I know Haywood is a great coach but I believe the Pirates take a step or two back this year.
I saw X Willis the other day and was surprised he has grown and put on some weight.....I see him gettin some playin time this year on both sides of the Ball as well as returning kicks......TJ Dotson has worked hard also this off season.he should see some quality playtime as well..he is a very athletic kid.....Austin GIBBS is 6'3 260...and has worked hard all off season, 700 pound club could've lifted more but comin off back surgery I'm glad he didn't..He has improved on his footwork and still needs more work....He has a good shot at starting at OT..I personally think he will but it's the coaches choice...but he does know every offensive linemans blocking scheme..He is a smart kid unlike his daddy...lol
^ Impressive size your boy has. The program had him listed at 6'3" 235 last year. He has hit it hard to add that kind of weight.
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ Impressive size your boy has. The program had him listed at 6'3" 235 last year. He has hit it hard to add that kind of weight.

Thanks, he has worked hard. They started in January he was working out before and after school...he still has work to do but he is determined....
I just hope similar offseason gains are made by other guys who will need to step up. 2 months roughly till practice starts.
after this yr i wont know many players on the team,but go Pirates
PaytoPlay Wrote:I just hope similar offseason gains are made by other guys who will need to step up. 2 months roughly till practice starts.

They have been working the line alot this offseason....but speed camp comin up June 10th for a couple weeks
^ Tell me a little more about speed camp man. What is it? Where at? Who is going?
Speed camp is for the players at Belfry held at Belfry after school. Former Belfry star and UK player David Jones is the guy who is coaching it. It's a 2 week camp and they do speed drills such as ladder drills, parachute runs, sled pushing and pulling, cone drills, and practice 40 times. They test you're time on the first day and the last day and compare them to see if you've made any improvements on your 40 time.
Sounds like a great program! Thanks for the info.
Cardinals ride Wrote:I know Haywood is a great coach but I believe the Pirates take a step or two back this year.

if thats the case then they only beat most teams in play offs by 2tds this yr,until they get to the finals and this yr get over the hump...:Thumbs:
I just can't state how absolutely thrilled I am to not have to deal with a running back or other position player having to sprint to the sidelines to put a kicking shoe on, and how incredibly exciting it is to have a really good looking special teams unit with a concrete kicker and punter... plus several athletes to return kicks.
Does the upcoming frosh kicker also punt?
cuppett777 Wrote:if thats the case then they only beat most teams in play offs by 2tds this yr,until they get to the finals and this yr get over the hump...:Thumbs:

Not exactly what I had in mind. I'm thinking hey don't get by Breathitt County and may not even win district. SC has a lot of young guys who gained a lot of experience last season. Either way, I think Belfry missed there real chance at a state title this past season. They should have beat Central. Feel they were the better team. Actually, should have won state last 2 seasons. But don see them making the trip his season. Jmo
@cardinals ride. I respect your opinion on here, but seriously. Who in the district is going to challenge them? PC? NO SC? NO LC? NO...and believe me...the Pirates may take a lump or two early, but come money time they will be in the thick of it...Allow the line to grow up a little bit to go with all the skill players and allow the meat of the D to get some confidence and this Belfry team will be sniffing around a state championship as usual IMO. Will they win it? who knows, but they got a great shot to be right there again.
^^
I wouldn't be surprised. Haywood "gels" a team better than most!
Cardinals ride Wrote:Not exactly what I had in mind. I'm thinking hey don't get by Breathitt County and may not even win district. SC has a lot of young guys who gained a lot of experience last season. Either way, I think Belfry missed there real chance at a state title this past season. They should have beat Central. Feel they were the better team. Actually, should have won state last 2 seasons. But don see them making the trip his season. Jmo

SCHS/Belfry will be your regional title game, unfortunately for SCHS I think still too young. You lose O'Connor and Lafferty arguably your two best players on a pretty bad team. Belfry returns the core of the offense and several defensive pieces on the second best team in 3A, as well as incoming freshman who put on a clinic for the entire state last year (including a DRUBBING of Martin County Middle at Vipperman)
Belfry0304 Wrote:SCHS/Belfry will be your regional title game, unfortunately for SCHS I think still too young. You lose O'Connor and Lafferty arguably your two best players on a pretty bad team. Belfry returns the core of the offense and several defensive pieces on the second best team in 3A, as well as incoming freshman who put on a clinic for the entire state last year (including a DRUBBING of Martin County Middle at Vipperman)

I know your middle school team was better than ours but I feel I the guys we have coming back on this team are going to start coming into their own. And this is the group who played in the middle.school state championship 2 years ago. I think they take a giant step forward this year. Could be wrong. Belfry lost a lot of their studs up front. Those guys will be hard to replace. I expect Trevor Blackburn to step up and do some of the things Lafferty did for SC last year. He is gonna be a junior and finally ready to step it up. Bryce Workman, is only gonna be faster and stronger. Not to mention Brandon Butcher and Corbin Manpn. I think the Belfry/SC game will be a great one. Can't wait to come to Pondq Creek and watch it. And alhiugh we were a pretty bad team we were also probably one of the youngest teams in the state, next 3 years at SC look pretty good.
I hope Sheldon Clark is improved. The more competitive games, the more interesting for the kids and fans.
Cardinals ride Wrote:I know your middle school team was better than ours but I feel I the guys we have coming back on this team are going to start coming into their own. And this is the group who played in the middle.school state championship 2 years ago. I think they take a giant step forward this year. Could be wrong. Belfry lost a lot of their studs up front. Those guys will be hard to replace. I expect Trevor Blackburn to step up and do some of the things Lafferty did for SC last year. He is gonna be a junior and finally ready to step it up. Bryce Workman, is only gonna be faster and stronger. Not to mention Brandon Butcher and Corbin Manpn. I think the Belfry/SC game will be a great one. Can't wait to come to Pondq Creek and watch it. And alhiugh we were a pretty bad team we were also probably one of the youngest teams in the state, next 3 years at SC look pretty good.

Belfry also lost 3/5 lineman before that and 3/5 before that. We don't rebuild on the line, we reload. You guys do have some good young talent, but we return some good experienced talent. Remember, we blitzed SCHS last year without Sani Warren even playing.

And we'll be coming back to The Rock this year, sir.
Either way, should make for a heck of a showdown. Not sure what LC is bringing to te table. I know the RB who tore his ACL last year is expected to be back, and their QB, but I think this district is squarely between SC and Belfry.
Belfry will find out real quick how good they are. Somerset will push them in Pike Bowl.
PaytoPlay Wrote:Does the upcoming frosh kicker also punt?

He does, but Devin Wellman bombed a punt 70 yards against JCHS so Devin will probably retain that duty.
Just found out Bryce Workman is heading to Johnson Central!! Really hurts SC probably hands Belfry the district. Oh well!!
Belfry was going to win the district no matter.
Something I think would love to see put in is a nickel package of some sort. For example is Joey Duty does end up playing linebacker, take him (or slowest LB/DE) off the field on 3rd and long or obvious passing downs and put in a DB. You could do a 5-1-5 basically with your two ends still in the game but you would have a little more speed on the field.

Just a thought.
^ 5-1-5 with the DE's playing the flats in that classic Haywood sound style. Not tight to the line for those non Belfry fans who may be browsing.
Cardinals ride Wrote:Just found out Bryce Workman is heading to Johnson Central!! Really hurts SC probably hands Belfry the district. Oh well!!

You're kidding me? Wow!
PaytoPlay Wrote:Something I think would love to see put in is a nickel package of some sort. For example is Joey Duty does end up playing linebacker, take him (or slowest LB/DE) off the field on 3rd and long or obvious passing downs and put in a DB. You could do a 5-1-5 basically with your two ends still in the game but you would have a little more speed on the field.

Just a thought.

A few years back we did that against Somerset late, putting Zach Thacker in and taking Mullins out in the late stretch.
Belfry0304 Wrote:You're kidding me? Wow!

I wish!!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19