Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Next Coach at Bell County?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
I have info on Woolum:

Current Job: OC at Large School in Florida (6A, largest class). School holds record for the most consecutive regular season wins in Central Florida. This streak started his first year at the school. Has been there 8 years. Runs a smashmouth split back veer with a simple passing scheme. Offense has been very productive under his lead.

Played QB at EKU.

Ties to Bell: From Pineville

Coached Jeremy Wright (currently at Louisville) who is second to E. Smith for all-time rushing record in Florida.

That's all I have.
It's amusing how all the outsiders have the answers as to what Bell should do. Bell will be fine and they've been doing this a lot longer than most. They'll hopefully hire a coach that can do the job and keep Bell right where there at, the top! Word to the wise, worry about your program and hope it one day can beat Bell. One thing I do know, it will be one tall task to ever sustain the success Bell has over not just years, but for over 20 years.
I also think it's amusing how our neighboring rivals will now beat us for sure. Keep think that way and you'll see the same result you did this year. Bell will be fine if they hire the right guy and not let politics play into it.
And I do acknowledge and glad to see Knox build their team into a successful program but please don't get on here and say, "well Knox has a better facility and a more promising program for the years to come." Show me anything to back that statement up with and for God's sake don't give me this bs about pee wee ball, middle school ball, and whatever else underneath high school level. Just to refresh your minds, Knox beat us quite a bit in pee wee ball in the late 90's and early 2000's and you seen what happened when it mattered the most. We coached a style to fit the high school program, not to go out and run gimmic plays to beat someone. Same goes for another neighboring school or two as well. I like our chances. I like them even more knowing the thinking of all of you. Bell will get the coach they want. Mark that down. If you don't think so, you're fooling yourself. Let us find our coach and you guys focus on your programs.....
And guys, the law of average will tell you sooner or later everything doesn't stay the same ALL the time. Bell will lose games to rivals in this area at some time. But, they'll not lose year in and year out like the neighbors did when they faced Bell for so many years. I promise you, Bell will be fine.
As far as facilities goes hands down KNOX. You need to go and look at the weightroom and the indoor practice facility. Knoxs field is better and you have more bleachers. But your press box is scarey. Hilton made the athletes there. Will not get into what is coming up. Numbers, however is what will hurt Bell. Better look at what builds a program and sustains one. The man that done that for you is gone. Good luck with your hire...but make no mistake about it the wrong hire and Bell will not be fine as you say. This is big and you know it.
CoachA Wrote:I have info on Woolum:

Current Job: OC at Large School in Florida (6A, largest class). School holds record for the most consecutive regular season wins in Central Florida. This streak started his first year at the school. Has been there 8 years. Runs a smashmouth split back veer with a simple passing scheme. Offense has been very productive under his lead.

Played QB at EKU.
Ties to Bell: From Pineville

Coached Jeremy Wright (currently at Louisville) who is second to E. Smith for all-time rushing record in Florida.

That's all I have.

If you are referring to Tuck Woolum you can add one more thing there: National Champion. He was QB for Eastern's last National Champs in '82. 13-0 and as clutch a team as you'd ever want to see. Glad to hear he is having the success you described in Florida. :Thumbs:
Hatz Wrote:If you are referring to Tuck Woolum you can add one more thing there: National Champion. He was QB for Eastern's last National Champs in '82. 13-0 and as clutch a team as you'd ever want to see. Glad to hear he is having the success you described in Florida. :Thumbs:
It's Tuck's brother Mark (aka Doodle).
Yogibear Wrote:The double wing is definitely not Bell County style. It is running the football but I am guessing to risky for Hilton. He coached the way it was supposed to be played. Run the ball. Play good defense. Punt when you are supposed to. Throw is now and again to keep them honest. Get them to play hard. Black is a good coach and guy, but his schemes are not the same style as Bell is accostomed to.

When did the double wing become a risky offense?

The odds of Rains taking the job I think are slim to none. I do think it would be interesting to see him there but it wont happen. Seeing Bell run split back veer would be a lot of fun. I am sure Bell will do a good job with a hire.
barrel Wrote:When did the double wing become a risky offense?

The odds of Rains taking the job I think are slim to none. I do think it would be interesting to see him there but it wont happen. Seeing Bell run split back veer would be a lot of fun. I am sure Bell will do a good job with a hire.

Triple option is always risky buddy. The mesh, the pitch. Too many things to go wrong. We are not talking about the Estill stuff. This is more like Navy, Ga Tech stuff.
easyM Wrote:And guys, the law of average will tell you sooner or later everything doesn't stay the same ALL the time. Bell will lose games to rivals in this area at some time. But, they'll not lose year in and year out like the neighbors did when they faced Bell for so many years. I promise you, Bell will be fine.

Just wondering which rivals are speaking of in this post?
easyM Wrote:And guys, the law of average will tell you sooner or later everything doesn't stay the same ALL the time. Bell will lose games to rivals in this area at some time. But, they'll not lose year in and year out like the neighbors did when they faced Bell for so many years. I promise you, Bell will be fine.

Just wondering which rivals are you referring to in this post?
Please excuse the repeat post, it wasn't loading my original post.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Just wondering which rivals are you referring to in this post?

What is the definition of a rivalry.......When Bell has continually beaten the locals year in and year out......Referring to them as rivals...........well.....lol.....Bell has two local city schools that refuse to play......and one city school in a neighboring county that is in the district with them they have not a choice to play now...Dudley has burned many bridges.....but what is the excuse now not to play.........Maybe the bandwagon of teams willing to play may begin......:argue:
Yogibear Wrote:Triple option is always risky buddy. The mesh, the pitch. Too many things to go wrong. We are not talking about the Estill stuff. This is more like Navy, Ga Tech stuff.

Ok you were talking flexbone offense out of the double slot. That makes sense though I played in a triple offense and we didn't have much issue. What Estill runs is what is commonly refereed to as the doublewing. No splits and running power, counter, sweep, trap and wedge. Of course Estill runs rocket and rocket trap as good as anyone.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Aint happenin.
Coach Black will stay at Whitley where i expect him to coach for a couple more years before he retires. Hes got a lot of ties to the community of Williamsburg and wouldnt leave. His wife works directly under the mayor and hes close with all of the people and the Cumberlands as well.

Im sure ill be starting a thread asking who the next coach at Whitley will be in the next couple of years after Black retires, but hes about at the end of his career.

I have a pretty good idea who will be coming to Whitley once he leaves. That will be a conversation starter.:biggrin:

I hope you are right about Coach Black stayin put,i for one would be greatly dissapointed if he leaves Whitley County anytime soon.
4ThePlayerz Wrote:What is the definition of a rivalry.......When Bell has continually beaten the locals year in and year out......Referring to them as rivals...........well.....lol.....Bell has two local city schools that refuse to play......and one city school in a neighboring county that is in the district with them they have not a choice to play now...Dudley has burned many bridges.....but what is the excuse now not to play.........Maybe the bandwagon of teams willing to play may begin......:argue:

Dudley Jr.
They bandwagon began before he left. Catch up before you post.
WhyLie Wrote:As far as facilities goes hands down KNOX. You need to go and look at the weightroom and the indoor practice facility. Knoxs field is better and you have more bleachers. But your press box is scarey. Hilton made the athletes there. Will not get into what is coming up. Numbers, however is what will hurt Bell. Better look at what builds a program and sustains one. The man that done that for you is gone. Good luck with your hire...but make no mistake about it the wrong hire and Bell will not be fine as you say. This is big and you know it.

You're not understanding all of the meaning to my post. Some you're right about and some you are wrong about. Dudley Hilton has done beyond an outstanding job at Bell. He is an unbelieveable coach and that's not giving it justice.
I know there's several teams that have better facilities than Bell. I would loe to see upgrade their facilities. I don't know if that will happen in the near future? Doubt it will.
You don't make athletes. You make players better but you don't make athletes. Bell for years have had better all around athletes than Knox in football. You don't have a leg to stand on there. You can argue you that all you want but it will fall on deaf ears. So know, Dudley did not make them athletes. You're born with that.
Better look at what builds a program. I think we have a clue as to what builds a program. That would be something that you may need to look at. Winning for a few years does not make a program. To tell people from Bell that they need to see what builds a program is beyond laughable. I think we know. We've seen it for almost 3 decades, not years!
And numbers, please understand Bell has lost kids for years now. That will not be the all to end all for our program. More numbers would be great but to say that will hurt Bell is false. We have plenty of athletes (but all programs would love to have more) and the numbers are not a death penalty. And thanks for sparing me with the "what is coming up thing." That is one of the weakest tools for the evaluation of a programs future that is used by so many.All I have to say to this argument is, go back in the last 20 some years and look at our record from pee wee-5th and 6th and I will promise you we lost more or very close to it to these local teams in total to these local teams. That way of looking at it is ridiculous. People who don't understand why are clueless, and I hope they keep thinking the way they have.
Losing a coach the caliber of Dudley Hilton would hurt any program, not just Bell. And yeah, a bad hire would definitely hurt! How senseless is that comment? Good Lord! Listen, I'm not trying to argue with you or say you're crazy, but use a little more common sense looking at this situation or any other. Losing Dudley Hilton hurts, but Bell will not fold tent and just let these other programs take them over. If you think so then so be it. That's your privilege but I'll take my chances with Bell still be the team to beat in this area. If I'm wrong, then so be it. But, I like my chances. This guy is calling it a night....... Talk to you guys tomorrow....I hope I can sleep knowing Bell is on the verge of collapsing. But, I'll wake up in the morning, realizing we'll be just fine unless we pull some stupid moves. I don't see that happening. If so, then others will pay for those decisions in the future....
barrel Wrote:When did the double wing become a risky offense?

I'd say Rains will wait for the Whitley job to open up before he comes around here.
Paul Rains has a lot of ties in the Whitley Co. area.
Not saying he will, but i wouldnt be surprised to see him at Whitley in a few years, unless Black hangs around for a very long time.
Either way, its a win-win for Whitley.
I've heard Bell is getting turf, is that true and will that still happen without Hilton?
Xerxes Wrote:Dudley Jr.
They bandwagon began before he left. Catch up before you post.

Dudley Jr????:please:...You are a football genius......So since you know so much......Is pineville back upon the schedule for next season?????
The Double Wing is much different from the Flexbone as barrel points out. The Double Wing is a power running game... the base play is not an option and most folks don't run any kind of option out of it. The Flexbone is what GA Tech, Navy run... the base play is the triple option. The Flexbone isn't really "risky" also, there is some fancy ball-handeling but even young kids can be taught the offense.
I'm not calling you out...your statment was what Dudley said on the news with Forrest. No Pineville is not back, but why would you want to play Pineville? Harlan Co. Knox, Corbin and Middlesboro were all on the schedule before he left.
Xerxes Wrote:I'm not calling you out...your statment was what Dudley said on the news with Forrest. No Pineville is not back, but why would you want to play Pineville? Harlan Co. Knox, Corbin and Middlesboro were all on the schedule before he left.

All I am saying is they all loved to kick us when we were down........and bell is far from being down........you might even see more kids come out for football now...........my point only..........:thanks:
easyM Wrote:You're not understanding all of the meaning to my post. Some you're right about and some you are wrong about. Dudley Hilton has done beyond an outstanding job at Bell. He is an unbelieveable coach and that's not giving it justice.
I know there's several teams that have better facilities than Bell. I would loe to see upgrade their facilities. I don't know if that will happen in the near future? Doubt it will.
You don't make athletes. You make players better but you don't make athletes. Bell for years have had better all around athletes than Knox in football. You don't have a leg to stand on there. You can argue you that all you want but it will fall on deaf ears. So know, Dudley did not make them athletes. You're born with that.
Better look at what builds a program. I think we have a clue as to what builds a program. That would be something that you may need to look at. Winning for a few years does not make a program. To tell people from Bell that they need to see what builds a program is beyond laughable. I think we know. We've seen it for almost 3 decades, not years!
And numbers, please understand Bell has lost kids for years now. That will not be the all to end all for our program. More numbers would be great but to say that will hurt Bell is false. We have plenty of athletes (but all programs would love to have more) and the numbers are not a death penalty. And thanks for sparing me with the "what is coming up thing." That is one of the weakest tools for the evaluation of a programs future that is used by so many.All I have to say to this argument is, go back in the last 20 some years and look at our record from pee wee-5th and 6th and I will promise you we lost more or very close to it to these local teams in total to these local teams. That way of looking at it is ridiculous. People who don't understand why are clueless, and I hope they keep thinking the way they have.
Losing a coach the caliber of Dudley Hilton would hurt any program, not just Bell. And yeah, a bad hire would definitely hurt! How senseless is that comment? Good Lord! Listen, I'm not trying to argue with you or say you're crazy, but use a little more common sense looking at this situation or any other. Losing Dudley Hilton hurts, but Bell will not fold tent and just let these other programs take them over. If you think so then so be it. That's your privilege but I'll take my chances with Bell still be the team to beat in this area. If I'm wrong, then so be it. But, I like my chances. This guy is calling it a night....... Talk to you guys tomorrow....I hope I can sleep knowing Bell is on the verge of collapsing. But, I'll wake up in the morning, realizing we'll be just fine unless we pull some stupid moves. I don't see that happening. If so, then others will pay for those decisions in the future....
We do have athletes that are just as good as Bells. We don't go chasing kids all over the counties and the city's to make our team. My kid played basketball against Madon at Pineville in the middle school. All of our kids are from our program. IT might not be a bad ideal for Mills to get a few players on the other end of the county since Hilton has left.
Prototype Wrote:We do have athletes that are just as good as Bells. We don't go chasing kids all over the counties and the city's to make our team. My kid played basketball against Madon at Pineville in the middle school. All of our kids are from our program. IT might not be a bad ideal for Mills to get a few players on the other end of the county since Hilton has left.

Those kids went to where they knew they could be winners........but dont knock something you are encourging another to do........:dontthink
do you really think that hilton "chased" kids to play football for him? one of the great coaches in kentucky and at one of the better football schools in the state has to go beg to get players to play for him... does that sound logical to you?
You may see more kids come out now. One of the big reasons you don't see many Bell kids go on and play ball is because Hilton never was a promoter of his kids senior post season. He makes his kids great at the sport and that makes for a good program for him, the kids, and the school, but once your done, he's done. This is in no way to degrade him of anything, but he played no part in anything kids accomplished beyond their last play as a senior. You'll probably see Jr. play in all the post season bowls but that's far as it will go.
I have always heard this about Dudley. Former players always say this is true. Maybe someone else could give us some insight.
Back on Topic!!!!

Any news. Give us some predictions. Top 3 if you were going to hire?
Sort of behind on this thread but surprised to see Knox taking shots in this discussion. At this point it should be pretty clear that a couple of things are true. First - we are closing the gap on Bell. Second, the gap is still there; see our 2 losses to them in 2010.

But EasyM - to say that a strong Junior league and Middle School program does not have signifgant impact on your Varsity success is simply wrong. Bell's feeder program was the model for ours. Up until 9 years ago our kids (Tyler Bailey comes to mind) came to Bell to play football in grade school. As our youth programs have excelled so has our varsity. Highlands, Bell, Boyle - all great programs - have established and strong feeder programs. And Middle School is where weight training begins for most of the kids. We have several kids on our team that started lifting in 7th grade - 3 Dlineman that started this year that have been starting since they were Freshem only by the grace of their training in Jr and Middle School. Yes - getting your hat handed to you by 8th graders is a solid indication of what you can expect when those 8th graders play on up. Bell's current Senior class killed everyone in Middle school. Imagine that...

And if the new coach at Bell is smart he will continue to support that feeder program.
Prototype Wrote:We do have athletes that are just as good as Bells. We don't go chasing kids all over the counties and the city's to make our team. My kid played basketball against Madon at Pineville in the middle school. All of our kids are from our program. IT might not be a bad ideal for Mills to get a few players on the other end of the county since Hilton has left.

You're not right about something in your post. Bell didn't have to run down players. They wanted to play on a championship team that was hands down the best around here. And in football, a team with the best athletes... They came to Bell to win.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29