Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Next Coach at Bell County?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
WhyLie Wrote:Yes he did. Also talent.....we still have it for at least 2 years. Then things do drop off quiet a bit. That is why 4-5 years and the new coach will be in trouble. 2 years and the Hilton effect will be gone. Again it is a trap for the new coach....will be compared to the previous success. Mark it down.

I agree.
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:Haha. What do you think about Hilton's move there BellCoBobcats?

You guys had this one coming. Wink

Im all good, I knew they would get a great coach in here. :biggrin:
Football1 Wrote:History is definitely on your side in this debate. For the record, I don't think Hilton had as much to do with us losing this year as Davenport did. So even though the great coach is gone the 4.4 back will still be there. We will be better next year but so will Davenport. Our advantage will be our QB. Maddon had more to do with Bell success than he got credit for. Barger has improved dramatically over the years. Watched him score 20 on the bball court in Hoop it Up with speed and moves that rival anybody.

The outcome of this contest likely will hinge in great part on the outcome of this coaching move. I look forward to the speculation ending so the kids can simply work without distraction and we can all go back to arguing over who really runs a 4.4.

Now our new QB next year will be a good one. Corey Oslonian he is more of a dual threat QB.
Breaking News.......

According to media sources today, Mills gets new deal at Knox. Decides to stay.
AnswertheBell Wrote:Breaking News.......

If I was Knox I would do whatever I had to do to keep him
Oslonian is a superb athlete who helped Bell in some key spots this year. But he will have hard time filling the shoes Madon leaves behind.

But thereagain, his ability to really accel will hinge in a mighty way on the coach that gets the nod. No position relies more on the Head Coach to provide guidance, strategy, tactics that work, and options for success than the QB.
AnswertheBell Wrote:Breaking News.......

If I know Coach Mills, he will use this as leverage to get better gear, equipment, facilities, and whatever else our boys need to help them be safe and win.
It's Bell County you must keep the Head coaching job a secret like they are playing in the SEC. Isn't that right Bobcat_Dad.
Football1 Wrote:If I know Coach Mills, he will use this as leverage to get better gear, equipment, facilities, and whatever else our boys need to help them be safe and win.

Football1:
You're a good guy but I don't think you know Coach Mills as much as you would like to. Well actually, it's not the fact you don't know him, it's the fact you can't read his mind. Wayne will be the head coach for Bell next year. I understand your wishful thinking and others but he's coming. It's the right move for him. You can argue that all you want but when you weigh it all out, Bell is the job to take.
easyM Wrote:Football1:
You're a good guy but I don't think you know Coach Mills as much as you would like to. Well actually, it's not the fact you don't know him, it's the fact you can't read his mind. Wayne will be the head coach for Bell next year. I understand your wishful thinking and others but he's coming. It's the right move for him. You can argue that all you want but when you weigh it all out, Bell is the job to take.

EasyM this may be one of your best post I've read to date. When you weigh the level of competition and the abilty to win the hardware that every coach and athlete across our commonwealth trys to win each year, the Cats have the better odds in vegas.
Trenches07 Wrote:EasyM this may be one of your best post I've read to date. When you weigh the level of competition and the abilty to win the hardware that every coach and athlete across our commonwealth trys to win each year, the Cats have the better odds in vegas.

Not downing Knox at all. Bell Co is like a Florida, Bama, LSU, or USC. Knox is like UK when it comes to football.
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:Not downing Knox at all. Bell Co is like a Florida, Bama, LSU, or USC. Knox is like UK when it comes to football.

Dont think its as much that as it is Highlands, Boyle, Lex. Cath., Cov Cath, and a host of others compared to Lou. Cent., Belfry, Russel, Sheldon Clark, Tilman and Somerset. I mean who would you rather take your chances against?
Trenches07 Wrote:Dont think its as much that as it is Highlands, Boyle, Lex. Cath., Cov Cath, and a host of others compared to Lou. Cent., Belfry, Russel, Sheldon Clark, Tilman and Somerset. I mean who would you rather take your chances against?

Thats true too.
I believe it will be Mills or Woolum.
Trenches07 Wrote:EasyM this may be one of your best post I've read to date. When you weigh the level of competition and the abilty to win the hardware that every coach and athlete across our commonwealth trys to win each year, the Cats have the better odds in vegas.

Trenches I just think it's obvious to most what program a coach would choose given the choice of the two. First and foremost, Bell is one of the most elite programs in the state. Any coach who has dreams of climbing up the ladder definitely takes this job over Knox. If you're afraid of following a very successful coach, you don't have the desire to do that. If you're dodging that challenge, Bell doesn't want you to begin with. Second, Bell will still be one of the most successful programs year in and year out. This talk about how the program will take a devastating blow, one that they may not be able to overcome is foolish. And not to knock Knox any, this talk about how they will beat Bell next year and become the best program in this area is a way out there statement with nothing to back it up with. Bell will be just fine. And, we have plenty of outstanding young players coming up. We don't have nothing to worry about there. If someone wants to base how these teams will do against Bell later on based on lower level football, again they're fooling themselves. I'll take my chances with Bell still being the best of the best around here. I trust the administration will make a coaching choice that will enable us to continue to be the program who others strive to be. But, in closing, let me say this. Law of average shows in that things do change. That may be temporary or carry on for a lengthy amount of time. Bet your money that Bell will not stay down long if they do slip up. Bring on the coach to be and let us see how true this is. Bell will be fine! Count on it........
If the Bell job is such a great job, why isnt several big name coaches applying for it? Just a thought. I am not trying to make anyone mad. Dudley did not reitire he left. Maybe some issues out there. Bell is great but maybe it isnt the job everyone thinks it is.
If Wayne decides to leave Knox and what he has built here I and many others will be very saddened and greatly dissappointed - especially considering he told our sons he was not.

That said, I totally understand the notion that Bell is a great program where it indeed would be an honor for any coach to lead. But here is what you are not getting. In business we study markets and growth trajectory to ascertain potential. We buy companies that lead not only in current market share (Bell) but ones that show exponential growth (Knox). Everyone thinks its a great thing for Bell that they are moving the 3A but that is not the case. Frankly, it shows the decline of population in that area. It moves you to a lower class of football where there are fewer elite schools. Why leave your home town where you personally are responsible for amazing growth of a program that 2 out of the last 3 years has set records for "best ever" when the only school that really beat you just left? And if he stays, he will get to be the coach at Knox when we beat Bell next year. If he leaves, he will be the coach that is at Bell when we beat them. Which sideline would you choose?

Had Bell been promoted to 6A and go whip Trinity, sure; that would be like the coach at EKU getting an offer to coach UT. But this is more like EKU getting the offer at Georgetown. Wayne grew up around here seeing Bell own the football market. Maybe the luster of Bell will draw him but I honestly feel it will be a terrible mistake for him and his family. Few men EVER get the chance to lead their own HS football program to greatness. Even fewer, when given that chance actually pull it off; but he is! And he is well on his way to leaving a legacy of winning on the field and even more importantly - in the lives of young men here in his home town. To leave that for a program where the banners on the stadium that you did not put there will cast a shadow over your work every day you blow the whistle is a poor trade. And if he leaves, by the time he figures out he got the poor end of the trade his job will be filled at Knox and he will be left to deal with those shadows.

May God bless him to do what is right for him and his family first. The rest of us will accept that whatever it is. Just know that God has at least one fellow praying for the staying... LOL.
Football1 Wrote:If Wayne decides to leave Knox and what he has built here I and many others will be very saddened and greatly dissappointed - especially considering he told our sons he was not.

That said, I totally understand the notion that Bell is a great program where it indeed would be an honor for any coach to lead. But here is what you are not getting. In business we study markets and growth trajectory to ascertain potential. We buy companies that lead not only in current market share (Bell) but ones that show exponential growth (Knox). Everyone thinks its a great thing for Bell that they are moving the 3A but that is not the case. Frankly, it shows the decline of population in that area. It moves you to a lower class of football where there are fewer elite schools. Why leave your home town where you personally are responsible for amazing growth of a program that 2 out of the last 3 years has set records for "best ever" when the only school that really beat you just left? And if he stays, he will get to be the coach at Knox when we beat Bell next year. If he leaves, he will be the coach that is at Bell when we beat them. Which sideline would you choose?

Had Bell been promoted to 6A and go whip Trinity, sure; that would be like the coach at EKU getting an offer to coach UT. But this is more like EKU getting the offer at Georgetown. Wayne grew up around here seeing Bell own the football market. Maybe the luster of Bell will draw him but I honestly feel it will be a terrible mistake for him and his family. Few men EVER get the chance to lead their own HS football program to greatness. Even fewer, when given that chance actually pull it off; but he is! And he is well on his way to leaving a legacy of winning on the field and even more importantly - in the lives of young men here in his home town. To leave that for a program where the banners on the stadium that you did not put there will cast a shadow over your work every day you blow the whistle is a poor trade. And if he leaves, by the time he figures out he got the poor end of the trade his job will be filled at Knox and he will be left to deal with those shadows.

May God bless him to do what is right for him and his family first. The rest of us will accept that whatever it is. Just know that God has at least one fellow praying for the staying... LOL.
At least two lol

Bell could have been in 3a 4 years ago if they so wished but desided to play up. So, although the numbers are slipping a little its not as you are leading on F-1. None the less, all this talk is starting to get boring. Kinda like leading up to a game, by Thursday everyone is tired of talkin and just wants the game to be played!

:letsparty its Christmas time, Merry Christmas to all and to all a goodnite:1:

O and GOODLUCK TO YA
Anybody in their right mind as a football fan knows "Bell is not dead." Just b/c they lose in Little league don't mean much IMO. From what I was told they have a couple of weaker classes but each of those classes have pieces that will fit together nicely when they are altogether. 1 group has a good core of Lineman they other skilled kids. Anyone who thinks Bell Co. football is simply "Dudley Hilton" is foolish. That is what he always wanted it to appears as but it is not the whole truth.
William Muney Wrote:Anybody in their right mind as a football fan knows "Bell is not dead." Just b/c they lose in Little league don't mean much IMO. From what I was told they have a couple of weaker classes but each of those classes have pieces that will fit together nicely when they are altogether. 1 group has a good core of Lineman they other skilled kids. Anyone who thinks Bell Co. football is simply "Dudley Hilton" is foolish. That is what he always wanted it to appears as but it is not the whole truth.
Nobody thinks it is dead. Nobody thinks it is in the hospital. Few probably even think it has a sniffle. The real argument here is about potential. Upside. Where do you want to spend the next 10 or 20 years coaching? A program that has already been to great success with a fan base that will demand more of the same. Or your home town where your best days await? A program you created where the talent in the younger classes is mowing down everyone and a community that supports you, put thousands in the stands this year, and a core group of kids who literally would put on uniforms and go to war behind you.

It is not my intent to offend anyone from Bell. I clearly admire that program and specifically many of their fans on this site. I'd buy you all dinner sometime as long as it was at McDonalds...LOL. I don't blame you for wanting Wayne and recruiting him. He is the best coach in this area. He should hear you out. But he should stay here in his hometown and continue building the next powerhouse of mountain football.

Please allow me to wish each of you a very Merry Christmas. I count it a blessing to know Christ as my savior and hope each of you do. His blood paid the price for my MANY sins. And that work started with his miracle birth. God bless you all.
Radio Wrote:If the Bell job is such a great job, why isnt several big name coaches applying for it? Just a thought. I am not trying to make anyone mad. Dudley did not reitire he left. Maybe some issues out there. Bell is great but maybe it isnt the job everyone thinks it is.

Maybe they have applied and are keeping it quite. Who would these name coaches be in your opinion? I think Coach Hilton did retire from Kentucky State teaching. He should draw a good retirement and nice salary from Pikeville.
easyM Wrote:Trenches I just think it's obvious to most what program a coach would choose given the choice of the two. First and foremost, Bell is one of the most elite programs in the state. Any coach who has dreams of climbing up the ladder definitely takes this job over Knox. If you're afraid of following a very successful coach, you don't have the desire to do that. If you're dodging that challenge, Bell doesn't want you to begin with. Second, Bell will still be one of the most successful programs year in and year out. This talk about how the program will take a devastating blow, one that they may not be able to overcome is foolish. And not to knock Knox any, this talk about how they will beat Bell next year and become the best program in this area is a way out there statement with nothing to back it up with. Bell will be just fine. And, we have plenty of outstanding young players coming up. We don't have nothing to worry about there. If someone wants to base how these teams will do against Bell later on based on lower level football, again they're fooling themselves. I'll take my chances with Bell still being the best of the best around here. I trust the administration will make a coaching choice that will enable us to continue to be the program who others strive to be. But, in closing, let me say this. Law of average shows in that things do change. That may be temporary or carry on for a lengthy amount of time. Bet your money that Bell will not stay down long if they do slip up. Bring on the coach to be and let us see how true this is. Bell will be fine! Count on it........

IMO...This statement is why this is a trap for coaches. Most Bell fans, not me, believe this. It is not one of the most elite programs in the state. We are the elite in the mountains. We have won 2 titles many years apart. Elite programs are Trinity, St. X, Boyle, PT .....ect.They have won multiple titles. The bar for the new coach will be way to high.
WhyLie Wrote:IMO...This statement is why this is a trap for coaches. Most Bell fans, not me, believe this. It is not one of the most elite programs in the state. We are the elite in the mountains. We have won 2 titles many years apart. Elite programs are Trinity, St. X, Boyle, PT .....ect.They have won multiple titles. The bar for the new coach will be way to high.
Expectations that are unrealstic bring tons of pressure. I know most disagree with what Radio alluded to in his post suggesting some issues there but let's face it - it had to be hard for coach Hilton to deal with these huge expectations every year. Now put yourself in the shoes of the new guy... Radio seems to be tuned in.

One way or the other, the fact is whomever takes this job will have to win and win often to avoid the intense weight that would come with losing, especially to Knox in 2011... :-)
Top 5 reasons to take the Bell job 1- great program 2- pay 3-great taem well I only came up with 3. Now why not take the bell job. 1-following a legend usally never works. 2-enrollment is down 3- how much more could the pay be? 4- facilities are not state of the art and a legend just left and could not get the support to match the programs of equal stature 5- Something I learned early in life. You never trade even and you sure dont trade down, just how much better of a job is it than the one you already have?
The things that Hilton wanted and didn't get is one of the reasons he left. If Hilton couldn't get it done...the new coach will not get it. The super in Bell cares very little about sports. There is no money...the assistants only make 1500. The grass is not always greener on the other side. With that said the football comp. is easier. Still will not beat Louisville Central. In two years they may not beat Corbin to win district. This is also a reason Hilton left. Kids lack of interest in middle school football. 8 kids in the last two years came from the middle school program, includes 3 from last year and maybe 5 will go up this year. Even the assistants have spoke of the concern that in 2 years the program will go down if they don't get kids to come in.

What I'm saying is Radio you understand and there is more.
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:Not downing Knox at all. Bell Co is like a Florida, Bama, LSU, or USC. Knox is like UK when it comes to football.

r u serious?:please:
William Muney Wrote:Anybody in their right mind as a football fan knows "Bell is not dead." Just b/c they lose in Little league don't mean much IMO. From what I was told they have a couple of weaker classes but each of those classes have pieces that will fit together nicely when they are altogether. 1 group has a good core of Lineman they other skilled kids. Anyone who thinks Bell Co. football is simply "Dudley Hilton" is foolish. That is what he always wanted it to appears as but it is not the whole truth.
how did they do during the years dud was at bourbon co?just sayin.think knox,whitley,and rock won some those {greer]years.
Christmas eve is bringing a blizard of posts that represent great truth in this debate. The "present" here is the gift of a growing program with depth that stretching all the way to Jr ball. Many have already alluded to how Knox has transitioned from a basketball school to a football one and Wayne is the reason for that.

I recall the last pep rally we had at Knox. Anybody who was there felt it. Every student in the school stood on their feet for Coach Mills. Every student there came through to line to shake our teams hands. Our superintendent did the Cupid Shuffle with the whole football team and the principal. When they played Boys of Fall every eye in the gym got a tear for the pride in our team and our coach and his staff. This is just not the type of thing that can be overlooked. Nor can this type of pride, support, and admiration be reproduced in any other place as it comes from a community that has figured out just how special 11 guys going to battle with a great leader really is. We now have a rowdy student section, a dedicated group of parents, and above all a winning program that nobody looks forward to facing which makes pep rallies like this one possible.

He may leave; but if he does, what a shame.
Football1 Wrote:Christmas eve is bringing a blizard of posts that represent great truth in this debate. The "present" here is the gift of a growing program with depth that stretching all the way to Jr ball. Many have already alluded to how Knox has transitioned from a basketball school to a football one and Wayne is the reason for that.

I recall the last pep rally we had at Knox. Anybody who was there felt it. Every student in the school stood on their feet for Coach Mills. Every student there came through to line to shake our teams hands. Our superintendent did the Cupid Shuffle with the whole football team and the principal. When they played Boys of Fall every eye in the gym got a tear for the pride in our team and our coach and his staff. This is just not the type of thing that can be overlooked. Nor can this type of pride, support, and admiration be reproduced in any other place as it comes from a community that has figured out just how special 11 guys going to battle with a great leader really is. We now have a rowdy student section, a dedicated group of parents, and above all a winning program that nobody looks forward to facing which makes pep rallies like this one possible.

He may leave; but if he does, what a shame.

Gosh its just high school football...............remember
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29