Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell @ Belfry (Class 3A 2nd Round)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
If Belfry wins it would be the 100th win of the decade.
joethegreek Wrote:If Belfry wins it would be the 100th win of the decade.
I really hate it that you all will have to wait until next year to get it!!! :redboxer:
Hey Russell you will reach that milestone next year. If Belfry plays to potential no stupid mistakes and play ball the Pirates wiil win. I feel Belfry is better up front and Russell will have to go to the air to win.
joethegreek Wrote:Hey Russell you will reach that milestone next year. If Belfry plays to potential no stupid mistakes and play ball the Pirates wiil win. I feel Belfry is better up front and Russell will have to go to the air to win.
You don't think Mcglone was pulling your leg and was getting the Pirates to do nothing but pass D this week in practice?
Yeah probably but I have seen a little film on Russell. I think that Belfry has an edge up front. I will tell you this whoever has to take to the air is in real trouble
I met Abrams and the fullback at a college game two weeks ago had a nice talk I said best of luck but not too much luck lol
Did Billy Ray Cyrus play on the title team in the 70's
joethegreek Wrote:I met Abrams and the fullback at a college game two weeks ago had a nice talk I said best of luck but not too much luck lol
I doesn't hurt, but sometimes you don't need luck.
Yes 78'
Was he any good
I was 7, can't really say. Some on here can. They probably played with him.
Hate to say it but..
Im gonna go belfry..
Whoever wins this game will do it by winning those defining plays and "getting lucky" when needed.

What I mean by this is the fact Belfry, by all means, should have the advantage in this game. The Pirates have played more consistently, have been more impressive on both sides of the ball, and seemingly has an offense geared to match Russell's weaknesses this season. But, Russell has every intangible needed to make this game close and match up phsycially with Belfry that if the Pirates come out without an optimal effort, Russell may be in position to take this.

Additionally, in the span of any close game there will always be a handful of plays that could go either teams' way which ultimately make a major difference in the outcome. Think about the Belfry/JC game. Belfry stuffs the 4th Down run on JC's second drive, Belfry stuffs the two point conversion attempt, Belfry converts the fake punt on an eventual scoring drive... these plays were all in Belfry's favor but could have easily swang JC's way with just that little bit of extra prepartion or effort. I hate the analogy "They Wanted It More That Night", because it is a blatant lie. Both teams want to win at the point of conflict, noone wants to lose. But, if one were to rephrase it to say "They Wanted It More That Week" then it could be one of the most accurate phrases of all-time.

Friday, we see who has wanted it more all week. Friday, we see who earns those defining plays that could go either teams' way.

The definition of "luck" is not anything to do with chance or fate... "luck" is when opportunity meets preparedness. Luck is not a random blessing...luck is what has been going on every day at practice as both teams make sure that when the opportunity to earn a victory presents itself, they will be ready to make that quick read to stuff a runningback short. Luck happens when that tipped pass that should have been caught is intercepted because it was anticipated, not because it miraculously falls in someone's arms. Luck happens when a runningback needing 2 yards on 4th Down pump their legs a little harder or gets in the hole quick enough to alter the defenders angle, not because the tackle pushes him ahead further.
Hate to hear it Jay.....
joethegreek Wrote:That's the spirit HarleyD. If I wasn't broadcasting and attended the game as a fan I would probably lose my voice.

I'm still trying to recover from the Johnson Central and Kentucky/Georgia ballgames 2 weeks ago.

LET'S GO BID RED!!!
jgrubby Wrote:I really hate it that you all will have to wait until next year to get it!!! :redboxer:

I think we'll get 102.. maybe 103 this year Wink
Big Maroon Wrote:I'm a Pikeville fan, and its hard to say this but belfry wins huge and I'd be very surprised if they wasnt playing in the state championship game!
Why is it hard for? We pull for Pikevilel and wish them the best always. I would love to see Pikeville play before Belfry at state. I know its a long shot but crazier things have happened.
Big Grin I guess you Russell fans will be singing achy breaky heart come late friday night
mrfootball03 Wrote:Big Grin I guess you Russell fans will be singing achy breaky heart come late friday night
You so beat me to it lol.
joethegreek Wrote:That's the spirit HarleyD. If I wasn't broadcasting and attended the game as a fan I would probably lose my voice.
Thats great, and you are a good cheerleader, greek. Everybody needs to be able to support the Pirates in their own way. If you are the type to scream your head off, then I think that is great. I like it when you get excited on the air and I enjoy when the crowd is excited.

However, I saw your earlier post and I have to say this.

Not everybody is that animated and I don't see how I should be told that I am less of a fan if I am not as vocal. I've been around Belfry football my whole life, rarely miss a game, and have seen more Belfry games than you can even imagine. Trust me, I support the Pirates with everything in me. I celebrate the victories and mourn the defeats. I get emotionally involved in the games and I really live for Friday nights this time of year. And there are a lot more like me. So on behalf of all of us, you haven't earned the right yet to lecture us about how we should conduct ourselves at a Belfry Pirate football game.

To each his own, so give us a break. Wink
Belfry Wins Wrote:We pull for Pikevilel and wish them the best always.

Hey! Speak for yourself. I don't care if Pikeville never wins another game. Smile
Buc-a-roo Wrote:Thats great, and you are a good cheerleader, greek. Everybody needs to be able to support the Pirates in their own way. If you are the type to scream your head off, then I think that is great. I like it when you get excited on the air and I enjoy when the crowd is excited.

However, I saw your earlier post and I have to say this.

Not everybody is that animated and I don't see how I should be told that I am less of a fan if I am not as vocal. I've been around Belfry football my whole life, rarely miss a game, and have seen more Belfry games than you can even imagine. Trust me, I support the Pirates with everything in me. I celebrate the victories and mourn the defeats. I get emotionally involved in the games and I really live for Friday nights this time of year. And there are a lot more like me. So on behalf of all of us, you haven't earned the right yet to lecture us about how we should conduct ourselves at a Belfry Pirate football game.

To each his own, so give us a break. Wink
I think this is a great post and I really see both sides of this, and believe me I am not always a "both sides" person. I love to yell at ballgames. If I wasn't in the press box on Friday nights, I would be in the crowd leading the cheers. Joe's main point has to do with complacency and being spoiled. I agree, to an extent, on this. There seemed to be a hunger before Belfry won a state title that sometimes isn't there now. It only pops up in real big games and I believe will definitely be there Friday night. I have said this many times, and I really believe it: The CAM may not have the old school atmosphere that Vipperman had, but it is still the best big game atmosphere around. I agree with ya BUC, people show their emotions in different ways and they should be allowed to without their loyalty being challenged. I love the Pirates, and like you have seen so many games over the last 35 years that I have lost track of just how many. I am glad we have an adopted Pirate in Joe, and he does care a lot about this program and team. Each great play has to have all different types of characters, and Joe is definitely the antagonist, but that's ok too because we are all in the same big ole Pirate ship together. BTW, can you believe a second round game has generated this much feedback and talk. When you put the names of Belfry and Russell together, you could play in the middle of the ocean and there would be a huge crowd there to watch.
Hey mods, how did the poll jump 100 votes for the Red Devils???
I agree, 68, I'm glad to have Joe too. He is a good honorary abassador for the Pirate Nation. And I know his heart is in the right place.

I'm old school, no question about it. But I'm OK with that. Big Grin
Enough about fans and the like, what about the game?

Who wins the battle up front?
Will Russell blast the A gaps with LB and bring safeties like they usually do against Belfry?
If so, will Elkins be able to beat them through the air this time?
Which team will make the "big play"?
Which coach will have to make the most changes from his comfort zone?
Buc-a-roo Wrote:Enough about fans and the like, what about the game?

Who wins the battle up front?
Will Russell blast the A gaps with LB and bring safeties like they usually do against Belfry?
If so, will Elkins be able to beat them through the air this time?
Which team will make the "big play"?
Which coach will have to make the most changes from his comfort zone?

I believe Belfry wins the battle up front. From all reports, including the head coach of the Devils, Russell is not that physical. JC had a huge line with a reputation for smashmouth football, and Belfry handled them for the most part. I expect Belfry to be able to move the ball easily.

I think they probably will, and I think they will pay dearly. The 2006 game showed that if you blast through the offensive line and disrupt Belfry's timing,then you can beat them. Belfry is better up front and if the line holds them back just long enough for Elkins to work his magic, then Belfry's quick-hitting rushing attack should be just fine.

Belfry's play action is fantastic if the running gameis clicking as it has been all year. Belfry does not want to face second or third and long situations. If they pass early, it will be on first down or second and short if the box is loaded. Of course, if Russell does not show an early ability to stop the Pirates ground game then Belfry may not pass at all.

I think Mcglone will have to figure out how to best mix the run and pass and see if he can throw in an ole halfback pass that he usually uses against the Pirates.

In the end, Pirates 28-14 in a real good ballgame.
The poll just went crazy in Belfry's favor. What is going on?
Quote:Not everybody is that animated and I don't see how I should be told that I am less of a fan if I am not as vocal. I've been around Belfry football my whole life, rarely miss a game, and have seen more Belfry games than you can even imagine. Trust me, I support the Pirates with everything in me. I celebrate the victories and mourn the defeats. I get emotionally involved in the games and I really live for Friday nights this time of year. And there are a lot more like me. So on behalf of all of us, you haven't earned the right yet to lecture us about how we should conduct ourselves at a Belfry Pirate football game.

. Wink

I agree with this post , im am a true Pirate Fan , and im at every game , rain , SNOW , sleet ot hail, I dont scream ,my head off , But i am a True Pirate Fan

Lets Go Big Red ,
Cant wait til Friday :letsparty
#55-PirateMom Wrote:I agree with this post , im am a true Pirate Fan , and im at every game , rain , SNOW , sleet ot hail, I dont scream ,my head off , But i am a True Pirate Fan

Lets Go Big Red ,
Cant wait til Friday :letsparty

I think Joe wants the fans to be proactive and not just reactive. It shouldn't take a great play for the fans to cheer. From the time the skill players walk out to warm up, until the game begins, and all through the game, the crowd needs to be a factor.
bucslover68 Wrote:The poll just went crazy in Belfry's favor. What is going on?

Well I added 100 to Russell to raise some eyebrows. Looks like someone else added a bunch to Belfry and i don't know how many to remove to make it right.:o
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24