Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Whitley County Coaching Search
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
Happyhour247 Wrote:I’m not worthy. I’m still going with Clevenger.

good choice.
E's Army Wrote:Cotton is older than Dudley. Whitley needs some energy

Whitley needs an enema.
I heard Jon Gruden was seen at the airport down in Goldbug yesterday.
Why would he leave a great traditional program and he just won the state title last year to come to Whitley Co.
I stand corrected, but this hiring will be a lot like the Tennessee job, hiring there third or fourth candidate.
Good luck Colonels
Our super is very interested in bringing Chappell back to Middlesboro. ( word around town) Dr. Allen is willing to pay next coach $80,000 to $90,000.
Not trying to be a jerk but Whitley Co has only won about 4-5 district titles in their history and they are always going to fight with Corbin for players. A good year for Whitley is win 8-9 and win a playoff game, history, Whitley fans need to wake up because no matter how much money you throw at some one, the current alignment and cross bracketing, Whitley, or anyone in the new district including the Pulaski's will be lucky to make it out of round 2 the next three years. What top level coach is going to come to Whitley to play Scott Co, Fred Doug year 1 in the playoffs and Cov Cath, Higlands year 2 and 3. I hope for Whitley fans I am wrong but if a coach is currently competing at a high level at his school they are wasting their time. IMO.
33 power Wrote:Not trying to be a jerk but Whitley Co has only won about 4-5 district titles in their history and they are always going to fight with Corbin for players. A good year for Whitley is win 8-9 and win a playoff game, history, Whitley fans need to wake up because no matter how much money you throw at some one, the current alignment and cross bracketing, Whitley, or anyone in the new district including the Pulaski's will be lucky to make it out of round 2 the next three years. What top level coach is going to come to Whitley to play Scott Co, Fred Doug year 1 in the playoffs and Cov Cath, Higlands year 2 and 3. I hope for Whitley fans I am wrong but if a coach is currently competing at a high level at his school they are wasting their time. IMO.

I'm glad the Corbin fans ain't making the hire.
Craze JACKET man Wrote:Why would he leave a great traditional program and he just won the state title last year to come to Whitley Co.
I stand corrected, but this hiring will be a lot like the Tennessee job, hiring there third or fourth candidate.
Good luck Colonels
Our super is very interested in bringing Chappell back to Middlesboro. ( word around town) Dr. Allen is willing to pay next coach $80,000 to $90,000.

You'll have to ask him. I bet Chappell will answer the phone if he calls.
The Spread Wrote:I heard Jon Gruden was seen at the airport down in Goldbug yesterday.

Your nose is growing Smile
pjdoug Wrote:I'm glad the Corbin fans ain't making the hire.

That's the reaction I expected. I'm not from Corbin and do not have any kids there. I stated some honest reasons why I doubt they will get a "TOP" name coach and instead of telling me I am wrong, and that Whitley can compete with not only the Pulaski's in the district or with the teams I mentioned they would face in the second round of the playoffs, you throw Corbin into the mix. Whitley could take everyone off Corbin's roster that does not live in the city limits and send them to Whitley and still not beat Scott co, Fred Doug, or Cov Cath. Maybe Higlands this year because they are down from what they normally are.
33 power Wrote:That's the reaction I expected. I'm not from Corbin and do not have any kids there. I stated some honest reasons why I doubt they will get a "TOP" name coach and instead of telling me I am wrong, and that Whitley can compete with not only the Pulaski's in the district or with the teams I mentioned they would face in the second round of the playoffs, you throw Corbin into the mix. Whitley could take everyone off Corbin's roster that does not live in the city limits and send them to Whitley and still not beat Scott co, Fred Doug, or Cov Cath. Maybe Higlands this year because they are down from what they normally are.

You're not a Whitley County fan either. You're just another person trying to post negative comments. There is no reason whatsoever that Whitley County shouldn't at least compete with Pulaski County schools.
pjdoug Wrote:You're not a Whitley County fan either. You're just another person trying to post negative comments. There is no reason whatsoever that Whitley County shouldn't at least compete with Pulaski County schools.

I may need to somewhat retract on competing with the Pulaski's as they probably should but it still remains that if they win their new district they would play one of the schools I mentioned in the 2nd round and then it comes down to a greater amount of talent and it is not a knock on Whitley but very few schools have the talent to compete with them. Which is why I stated I doubt a coach, that is in a successful program, would leave and come to Whitley. While I am not a Whitley fan I also do not wish any ill will on them either.
33 power Wrote:I may need to somewhat retract on competing with the Pulaski's as they probably should but it still remains that if they win their new district they would play one of the schools I mentioned in the 2nd round and then it comes down to a greater amount of talent and it is not a knock on Whitley but very few schools have the talent to compete with them. Which is why I stated I doubt a coach, that is in a successful program, would leave and come to Whitley. While I am not a Whitley fan I also do not wish any ill will on them either.

I didn't say Whitley County will win the state championship, but they should have high expectations and compete with and beat teams from surrounding counties.
pjdoug Wrote:I didn't say Whitley County will win the state championship, but they should have high expectations and compete with and beat teams from surrounding counties.

Pj some of what you say is correct, some of what 33said is correct. You are 100 percent right about they should compete and win with surrounding counties no question, but in all honesty they are the third best team in there own county. They have the funds to hire whoever they want, money is not a problem. They have talented big strong corn feed boys, and lanky athletes. They need to clean house and quit living in the past, as long as little Johnny hears about how they have been done this or done that way by another school they are going to except that. Until they brainwash everyone, and replace everyone with a title it’s going to be the same ole stuff. You can quote me and say whatever you want about Corbin fans, kids, or me but we both know I am right. On top of that now the principle thinks he is the general manager of the football program, we fought about that all year and now you have even posted about it. Leave the damn coach alone and let him do his job, if he don’t get it done fire him but don’t hold a man down then fire him cause it didn’t work. Jason Chappell was loved by his players, he had them fired up, had them thinking they could compete. As far as clevenger, he will not come to a broken program and deal with bull crap, and be held to the highest standards while being told how to do it. He is first class coach, and doesn’t need anyone’s help other than his assistants and Whitley just don’t play by those rules.
heard al harris is in the mix
So, Clevenger, nah. He is coaching at his alma mater. Danville is a better place to live than Williamsburg. He just won a state title. He will always have speed there.

Steve Bird, nah. 58 year old man who has always coached in college. Has a job that is easier than being a HS head coach. Could be coaching at Cumberlands which has come open a couple times if he wanted to come home. Not going to walk into a hs job not even in his hometown to deal with politics and hs kids.
Iam4thecats Wrote:So, Clevenger, nah. He is coaching at his alma mater. Danville is a better place to live than Williamsburg. He just won a state title. He will always have speed there.

Steve Bird, nah. 58 year old man who has always coached in college. Has a job that is easier than being a HS head coach. Could be coaching at Cumberlands which has come open a couple times if he wanted to come home. Not going to walk into a hs job not even in his hometown to deal with politics and hs kids.

All you said about Cleveger is true. However, he and Lawson are very good friends. Played together, coached together. Family things together. As 33 said Whitley has the ability to put together some $$. Teaching load that would be minimal. Bring in 2-3-4 assistance. Also have a job for wife if necessary. I guarantee this has been put on the table just a matter if he wants it or not.
Happyhour247 Wrote:All you said about Cleveger is true. However, he and Lawson are very good friends. Played together, coached together. Family things together. As 33 said Whitley has the ability to put together some $$. Teaching load that would be minimal. Bring in 2-3-4 assistance. Also have a job for wife if necessary. I guarantee this has been put on the table just a matter if he wants it or not.
And if Bobby Joe is putting together a package of big money and 6 teaching jobs then he is doing a poor job of being Principal at Whitley county high.
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:Pj some of what you say is correct, some of what 33said is correct. You are 100 percent right about they should compete and win with surrounding counties no question, but in all honesty they are the third best team in there own county. They have the funds to hire whoever they want, money is not a problem. They have talented big strong corn feed boys, and lanky athletes. They need to clean house and quit living in the past, as long as little Johnny hears about how they have been done this or done that way by another school they are going to except that. Until they brainwash everyone, and replace everyone with a title it’s going to be the same ole stuff. You can quote me and say whatever you want about Corbin fans, kids, or me but we both know I am right. On top of that now the principle thinks he is the general manager of the football program, we fought about that all year and now you have even posted about it. Leave the damn coach alone and let him do his job, if he don’t get it done fire him but don’t hold a man down then fire him cause it didn’t work. Jason Chappell was loved by his players, he had them fired up, had them thinking they could compete. As far as clevenger, he will not come to a broken program and deal with bull crap, and be held to the highest standards while being told how to do it. He is first class coach, and doesn’t need anyone’s help other than his assistants and Whitley just don’t play by those rules.
You are saying everything that I've already said. How do you know which coach will come?
Iam4thecats Wrote:So, Clevenger, nah. He is coaching at his alma mater. Danville is a better place to live than Williamsburg. He just won a state title. He will always have speed there.

You're another one that doesn't know who is coming. Maybe Whitley's problem is that they've had a hiring committee made up of fans from other schools Confusednicker:
2face Wrote:heard al harris is in the mix

I heard you went to s*** and the hogs ate ye.
Iam4thecats Wrote:And if Bobby Joe is putting together a package of big money and 6 teaching jobs then he is doing a poor job of being Principal at Whitley county high.

:happysmile:
What about Mike Croley, coach over at Jellico?
[quote=pjdoug]You are saying everything that I've already said. How do you know which coach will come?[/QUOTE

I said it first in August, I know he isn’t coming. Your going to get 4th option.
plantmanky Wrote:What about Mike Croley, coach over at Jellico?

Jellico needs him. I hope Whitley County doesn't hire anybody from Williamsburg Smile
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:[quote=pjdoug]You are saying everything that I've already said. How do you know which coach will come?[/QUOTE

I said it first in August, I know he isn’t coming. Your going to get 4th option.

I said it years ago. No No No :dontthink
They did not play together at any level.
Iam4thecats Wrote:And if Bobby Joe is putting together a package of big money and 6 teaching jobs then he is doing a poor job of being Principal at Whitley county high.

Bob Lawson is the cause not the answer. He is losing control of his high school and staff. My fist question is how does the basketball coach survive with the seasons he has had. This is why this move is political and nothing more than Bob Lawson wanting control of this team. He has a meeting at school with the team telling them he is not their next coach. I assume to try to get in front of any bleeding that may come from his move. Such as kids leaving. I can tell you this school is not a happy place with all of his recent moves.

Clevenger is not coming nor is King. Many have already said no. This will end up the worst move Whitley has made in years. Bob is running out of friends to bring in.
FormerJacket72 Wrote:They did not play together at any level.

The Whitley County principal was his assistant coach.
FormerJacket72 Wrote:They did not play together at any level.

They were water boys for the Cumberlands after they graduated. GA positions
Clevenger played at Carson Newman didn't he. Bob was never there.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39