Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Whitley County Coaching Search
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:You'll not hear anything confirmed until after the new year IMO

That's a long time to wait. Maybe he will be down for Thanksgiving dinner.
Are they waiting for a coach to lose in the playoffs? Smile
I understand your distain for Corbin folks commenting on who Whitley should hire, but I think you better do a little research before making comments about their record since 1980. Don't believe anyone in the Tri-County area even come close over the last 35-40 years.
WhyLie Wrote:and Single wing77 assistant head coach.

What about the Steve Bird rumor to Whitley? I hear he is coming in for the interview. Wondering what Corbin fans think of that?

First off, no coach in his right mind would take this job. It will be the same old story until the administration finds their “chose one”. They’ll hire a guy, and the first time he goes sub .500 they’ll fire him. The problem with Whitley is that they have unrealistic expectations. Should Whitley be able to compete on the 5A level? Absolutely, when they’re up. They aren’t the kind of program who can reload though and with the current admin they never will be. There are gonna be down years as far as talent goes, and on those years is when the admin will fire you and hire the next guy. Now if you’re someone who doesn’t care about being your own man you could take the job and be a puppet for the admin and you’d never get fired. All you’d have to do is whatever they said. Play who they want, where they want, and run the schemes they want. Then you’d have job security.

If Steve Bird takes it then good for him. I don’t mind anyone taking a job wherever they want. I don’t think he’ll go for all of the stipulations though.
pjdoug Wrote:wishbone is a thing of beauty Smile

Very true, when executed correctly its really nice to watch.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:First off, no coach in his right mind would take this job. It will be the same old story until the administration finds their “chose one”. They’ll hire a guy, and the first time he goes sub .500 they’ll fire him. The problem with Whitley is that they have unrealistic expectations. Should Whitley be able to compete on the 5A level? Absolutely, when they’re up. They aren’t the kind of program who can reload though and with the current admin they never will be. There are gonna be down years as far as talent goes, and on those years is when the admin will fire you and hire the next guy. Now if you’re someone who doesn’t care about being your own man you could take the job and be a puppet for the admin and you’d never get fired. All you’d have to do is whatever they said. Play who they want, where they want, and run the schemes they want. Then you’d have job security.

They are gonna get a good coach. They should have very high expectations. What do you mean they're not the kind of program that can reload? Corbin reloads with their players.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:Very true, when executed correctly its really nice to watch.

I used to love to watch the Oklahoma Wishbone.
Wait and see, most of this junior class at Whitley will be at Williamsburg. They will also pull some kids from other schools. Williamsburg will be loaded next year.
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:Wait and see, most of this junior class at Whitley will be at Williamsburg. They will also pull some kids from other schools. Williamsburg will be loaded next year.

wrong :dontthink
pjdoug Wrote:They are gonna get a good coach. They should have very high expectations. What do you mean they're not the kind of program that can reload? Corbin reloads with their players.

That will never change. The kids in oak grove and woodbine will always go to Corbin. No matter where the district lines are, it doesn’t make sense for a kid to drive 25 minutes to go to school when they’re is a school 5 minutes away. Especially when mom or dad works in Corbin. Why would a parent drive 50 minutes out of the way, or put their kid on a bus at 6:00 am when they can wake up at 6;45 and drive them to Corbin on their way to work? That being said, Whitley definitely has the kids to rebuild every couple years and be really competitive. I think they could legit make the semi’s or even state when the stars align with the right coach. I hope they make that hire.
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:Wait and see, most of this junior class at Whitley will be at Williamsburg. They will also pull some kids from other schools. Williamsburg will be loaded next year.

Hopefully your wrong but I think you may not be, already heard about 5-6 that are thinking about transferring or not even bothering to play cause they are upset about Chappell not being their coach next year. Great hire I think they stay, not a good hire then Corbin and Williamsburg both get a few more players. Thank you Lawson and Siler for this horrible situation you have placed our program in.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:That will never change. The kids in oak grove and woodbine will always go to Corbin. No matter where the district lines are, it doesn’t make sense for a kid to drive 25 minutes to go to school when they’re is a school 5 minutes away. Especially when mom or dad works in Corbin. Why would a parent drive 50 minutes out of the way, or put their kid on a bus at 6:00 am when they can wake up at 6;45 and drive them to Corbin on their way to work? That being said, Whitley definitely has the kids to rebuild every couple years and be really competitive. I think they could legit make the semi’s or even state when the stars align with the right coach. I hope they make that hire.

You tell me why parents drive their kids from Jellico to Corbin. You say it doesnt make sense for them to go 25 minutes to Whitley, but you'll come up with a line of BS as to why they go from South Whitley to Corbin Confusednicker:
Rainingthrees Wrote:Hopefully your wrong but I think you may not be, already heard about 5-6 that are thinking about transferring or not even bothering to play cause they are upset about Chappell not being their coach next year. Great hire I think they stay, not a good hire then Corbin and Williamsburg both get a few more players. Thank you Lawson and Siler for this horrible situation you have placed our program in.

The program has always been a horrible situation. Hopefully a coach is hired that can turn the program around.
WhyLie Wrote:and Single wing77 assistant head coach.

What about the Steve Bird rumor to Whitley? I hear he is coming in for the interview. Wondering what Corbin fans think of that?

Steve Bird has been a winner everywhere he has played and coached, so I would expect him to win at Whitley as well. The Administration would have to get out of his way though and allow him to be in charge.

I know he was interested in coming back to the area earlier, but that was before his Dad passed away, so I'm not sure if that still holds true or not.
Why don't they call Sam Harp?
The Outsider Wrote:Steve Bird has been a winner everywhere he has played and coached, so I would expect him to win at Whitley as well. The Administration would have to get out of his way though and allow him to be in charge.

I know he was interested in coming back to the area earlier, but that was before his Dad passed away, so I'm not sure if that still holds true or not.

No Corbinites. lol :dontthink
Willie Turnover Wrote:Why don't they call Sam Harp?

They could use a good Danville coach.
Willie Turnover Wrote:Why don't they call Sam Harp?

I think he is still being an assistant in Anderson County. He’s 64 and Anderson Co is is home. He didn’t do well his last HC stint in TN. He only lasted 4-5 years and don’t think he won a total of 10 games. There could very well be a Danville coach coming to Whitley just not Sam Harp.
Johnny Hodge is available, what are thoughts on him?
Rainingthrees Wrote:Hopefully your wrong but I think you may not be, already heard about 5-6 that are thinking about transferring or not even bothering to play cause they are upset about Chappell not being their coach next year. Great hire I think they stay, not a good hire then Corbin and Williamsburg both get a few more players. Thank you Lawson and Siler for this horrible situation you have placed our program in.

I talked to 5 different kids and they all said Williamsburg. Wouldn’t be surprised if you see a couple from other schools go also. The kids are thinking right, if they get the key pieces make the move and build a 1a power to a already explosive going to be senior class.
pjdoug Wrote:wrong :dontthink

Trust me man, the kids are going at Christmas break.
The Outsider Wrote:Steve Bird has been a winner everywhere he has played and coached, so I would expect him to win at Whitley as well. The Administration would have to get out of his way though and allow him to be in charge.

Who is Steve Bird and what is on his resume?
How long will this be dragged out? It seems like they waited months when they hired Chappell.
Whitley high ups won’t give what it takes to be successful. Not talking money either. I’m from the area, it’s easy to see. Hound pups will coming North. Dougie, Haddix might need another equipment manager, shirt folder, ball polisher. Here is your chance Fancy, don’t let him down.
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:Trust me man, the kids are going at Christmas break.

Bull Butter.
Iam4thecats Wrote:Who is Steve Bird and what is on his resume?

He played at Corbin.
geauxtigers75 Wrote:How long will this be dragged out? It seems like they waited months when they hired Chappell.

Dragging it out will be a bad sign.
HighViz Wrote:Whitley high ups won’t give what it takes to be successful. Not talking money either. I’m from the area, it’s easy to see. Hound pups will coming North. Dougie, Haddix might need another equipment manager, shirt folder, ball polisher. Here is your chance Fancy, don’t let him down.
I hope it didn't take your small mind long to think this stupidity up.
pjdoug Wrote:Bull Butter.

Wanna wager on it. I have talked with the kids and some parents. If I was you I would be hoping Nick Saban decides to coach at Whitley by the break or else the Burg just got stronger. May mean more years to come with Whitley being third best team in their own county.
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:Wanna wager on it. I have talked with the kids and some parents. If I was you I would be hoping Nick Saban decides to coach at Whitley by the break or else the Burg just got stronger.

Yes I wanna place a wager on it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39