Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Boyle Co. vs. Johnson Central (Class 4A State Championship)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
know1 Wrote:Yeah but Lexington Catholic isn't on the same level as Belfry. I know they played some good teams, but they barely finished above .500.

Lexington Catholic beat Desales, lost to 3 teams that are currently playing for a state championship with 4 of there losses. They did what Belfry just did they beat Desales. They beat a Pulaski team that had just beat Wayne County. I think Lexington Catholic is very quality opponent and playing with Fredrick Douglas and Covington Catholic both 5a schools. So you say Lexington Catholic isn't on the same level as Belfry, Lexington Catholic was a very quality opponent for comparison. There strength of schedule is second to none.
blackandgold4life Wrote:Who says? LC has 5 losses. 2 of those came from Boyle and 1 from Covington Catholic in a barn burner and 1 to Frederick Douglas. 4 of their 5 losses are playing for state championships. They were not world beaters but they had a pretty good run. Not Boyle or JC were tested like they were. Their schedule was one of the toughest. They also beat Desales that took Belfry to double OT. Boyle made them look bad but that doesn’t mean they didn’t have a pretty good squad.

I should have waited a few minutes, you took the words right out of my mouth.
Bull got out! Wrote:Lexington Catholic beat Desales, lost to 3 teams that are currently playing for a state championship with 4 of there losses. They did what Belfry just did they beat Desales. They beat a Pulaski team that had just beat Wayne County. I think Lexington Catholic is very quality opponent and playing with Fredrick Douglas and Covington Catholic both 5a schools. So you say Lexington Catholic isn't on the same level as Belfry, Lexington Catholic was a very quality opponent for comparison. There strength of schedule is second to none.

Who also lost to Lexington Christian, who Belfry beat and Johnson Central give Belfry a bad loss. To me all this don’t matter Boyle will be Boyle with their style and Johnson Central to their style. Boyle County is a wrecking machine and you have to keep that offense off the field. Johnson Central has to keep long time consuming drives and score on them. If they don’t it’s going to be along night. Personally I like both teams because of some people that’s associated with them. Just hope they have an injury free game for both. Yes Lexington Catholic was a good team hard to compare the two whole different style of game.
Bull got out! Wrote:Lexington Catholic beat Desales, lost to 3 teams that are currently playing for a state championship with 4 of there losses. They did what Belfry just did they beat Desales. They beat a Pulaski team that had just beat Wayne County. I think Lexington Catholic is very quality opponent and playing with Fredrick Douglas and Covington Catholic both 5a schools. So you say Lexington Catholic isn't on the same level as Belfry, Lexington Catholic was a very quality opponent for comparison. There strength of schedule is second to none.

I’ve said it before if Lex Cath were in a different district they’d be winning it and possibly the region too. They’ve been unfortunate in the fact that they’ve had to deal with a Chuck Smith Boyle Co team that could arguably be one of the best he’s ever coached, and a group from there that’s been dominant for the last 3 years...
Look for a battle in this one. I believe Boyle may have just a bit more fire power than JC and will be victorious.
Go Rebels! #FinishTheMission
Boyle County by 1. Missed extra point is the difference
Mister D Wrote:I know a lot of JC fans felt the same way seeing Boyle County throttle Lexington Catholic. Whichever team is going to triumph will have to play loose and at their highest level. Because both of these teams really know how to punish their opponents mistakes.

I don't know why that would be ..Johnson Central demolished LexCath in 2016 by a score of 54-27 and again in 2015 by a score of 42-28, and from what I was told LexCath refused to renew the series.....They really weren't that strong of an opponent for those two years, so has their level of play improved drastically since then? I have honestly not kept up with them the last couple of years, so I'm asking that question.
Bob Seger Wrote:I don't know why that would be ..Johnson Central demolished LexCath in 2016 by a score of 54-27 and again in 2015 by a score of 42-28, and from what I was told LexCath refused to renew the series.....They really weren't that strong of an opponent for those two years, so has their level of play improved drastically since then? I have honestly not kept up with them the last couple of years, so I'm asking that question.

Maybe that would be a good question For a Covington Catholic fan, IMO I would say they’re much better offensively and about the same defensively.
As I remember last time Boyle beat JC, their Coach Matney I think got very frustrated and showed Himself, go ahead and lay the wood to these guys BC. I know you’re more than capable.
JC wins , they are on a mission Watched a lot of Boyle games and they are great team but so are the Eagles. Wished I was home to see it live , but thank God for live stream.
As I remember last time Boyle beat JC, their Coach Matney I think got very frustrated and showed Himself, go ahead and lay the wood to these guys BC. I know you’re more than capable.
I’m going to stick with my prediction of 35-28 Johnson Central. This is going to be a great game. It’s been another great season to be an Eagle. Proud of the team and our coaches for the season we have had.
ThinThirty Wrote:As I remember last time Boyle beat JC, their Coach Matney I think got very frustrated and showed Himself, go ahead and lay the wood to these guys BC. I know you’re more than capable.

That was '09 and they had a terrible night. Back up qb, long snapper put the ball in front of the punter about 7 times in a row. 1st game of the season. '10 was up at their house and was the only close game the 15-0 state champs had in the regular season. I enjoyed those two games but they mean nothing.
single shot Wrote:I’ve said it before if Lex Cath were in a different district they’d be winning it and possibly the region too. They’ve been unfortunate in the fact that they’ve had to deal with a Chuck Smith Boyle Co team that could arguably be one of the best he’s ever coached, and a group from there that’s been dominant for the last 3 years...
I def think they could win a different district. Probably not a region though, their lack of defense every single year is concerning.
Jack Lambert Wrote:Maybe that would be a good question For a Covington Catholic fan, IMO I would say they’re much better offensively and about the same defensively.

I agree, offense looks way better fro years ago. Possibly the progression of Allen and some key skills players. I would say their defense might be close to the same but an argument could be made it’s actually worse. I’m on the side of it being a little worse, but in the end it’s all irrelevant I guess. Glad to see ya on here jack
Jack Lambert Wrote:Maybe that would be a good question For a Covington Catholic fan, IMO I would say they’re much better offensively and about the same defensively.

I’m not a cov cath fan per say, but I do follow them because I find what they are currently doing very interesting. Lex cath is a solid team no doubt. They also have the best quarterback in the state. I know bias can cloud judgment...but that’s just a fact of life. He’s really good. To understand why the Covington Catholic game was so close, you really have to understand X’s and O’s. Both offensively and defensively, for both teams. Obviously every team cov cath has faced after lex cath, the opposing game plan was to “lex cath” the cch defense. Every game. Not one has been remotely successful. I find that intriguing don’t you? I wonder why it hasn’t worked?
Bob Seger Wrote:I don't know why that would be ..Johnson Central demolished LexCath in 2016 by a score of 54-27 and again in 2015 by a score of 42-28, and from what I was told LexCath refused to renew the series.....They really weren't that strong of an opponent for those two years, so has their level of play improved drastically since then? I have honestly not kept up with them the last couple of years, so I'm asking that question.

I would say no doubt they are better at least this year having the senior led QB.
It’s Ridiculous to compare teams and scores at the High School level its all about match ups and schemes,schedules don’t matter. Now that I got that off my chest. I’m going to go to all the games I do every year but this one interests me. I know both Coaches and both do a great job. I’ve watched film on both teams. Boyle is the better football team overall, that doesn’t mean a win. Johnson Central and the defense they run especially with there slants and stunts up front is not going to be effective against Boyle and could cost them. Boyle has to many athletes to play that style defense and it’s tough to change things up drastically at this point. Boyle’s defense is built to stop the run, Kelly is an impossible match up up front at the High School Level you have to double which effects Centrals blocking scheme. I think it will be a good game for a while but I just don’t See Central keeping it real close for 4 quarters. I’m going Boyle 42-21.
Woodsman Wrote:I’m not a cov cath fan per say, but I do follow them because I find what they are currently doing very interesting. Lex cath is a solid team no doubt. They also have the best quarterback in the state. I know bias can cloud judgment...but that’s just a fact of life. He’s really good. To understand why the Covington Catholic game was so close, you really have to understand X’s and O’s. Both offensively and defensively, for both teams. Obviously every team cov cath has faced after lex cath, the opposing game plan was to “lex cath” the cch defense. Every game. Not one has been remotely successful. I find that intriguing don’t you? I wonder why it hasn’t worked?
I always value your insight on things. Especially northern ky teams because of my lack of knowledge of them. But could you elaborate more on the “X’s and O’s” part of your reply? Because to me after watching that game, and several more of them both. In my opinion it just looks like Cov cath just came out flat and didn’t play well, on the other hand Lex cath came out and went for the throat. I’m not saying it wasn’t game plans, etc. It’s just what it looked like to me. Almost like they I won’t say “didn’t care” or were “toying” around. But it didn’t look like they were giving it their all. Definitely wasn’t the same team I watched a couple weeks later. Because right after the lex game I thought Cov was significantly overrated. I don’t as much anymore.
Hound05 Wrote:I always value your insight on things. Especially northern ky teams because of my lack of knowledge of them. But could you elaborate more on the “X’s and O’s” part of your reply? Because to me after watching that game, and several more of them both. In my opinion it just looks like Cov cath just came out flat and didn’t play well, on the other hand Lex cath came out and went for the throat. I’m not saying it wasn’t game plans, etc. It’s just what it looked like to me. Almost like they I won’t say “didn’t care” or were “toying” around. But it didn’t look like they were giving it their all. Definitely wasn’t the same team I watched a couple weeks later. Because right after the lex game I thought Cov was significantly overrated. I don’t as much anymore.

I’ll just say that the defense has changed since the 3rd game of the season and I believe the statistics back that up.

But Bob, these players didn’t play in those two years. :Thumbs:

Lex Cath has been hurt in their talent by the rise of LCA and FD.

If we go back to history Boyle beat JC 49-7 in 2009 and Matney told a local reporter he was cancelling the contract. He didn’t and Boyle only beat JC by 7 the next year in the mountains.

You should know Bob, “ Rock and Roll Never Forgets.” :hilarious:
Hatz Wrote:But Bob, these players didn’t play in those two years. :Thumbs:

Lex Cath has been hurt in their talent by the rise of LCA and FD.

If we go back to history Boyle beat JC 49-7 in 2009 and Matney told a local reporter he was cancelling the contract. He didn’t and Boyle only beat JC by 7 the next year in the mountains.

You should know Bob, “ Rock and Roll Never Forgets.” :hilarious:

Yeah Yeah, Yeah!!

If you aint careful Hatz, your gonna find yourself in "Fire Lake" after I work on them "Night Moves", and all of your cries for help will all be just "Against The Wind".

Confusednicker:Confusednicker:Confusednicker:

I was just asking a question.
Appears to be turning into a good thread.��
Woodsman Wrote:I’ll just say that the defense has changed since the 3rd game of the season and I believe the statistics back that up.

Oh they definitely do! I just thought On the surface of it all, it just looked like “one of those games”.
So in all honesty, how good is JC’s pass defense. I’m having trouble getting a good gauge on it?
Hound05 Wrote:So in all honesty, how good is JC’s pass defense. I’m having trouble getting a good gauge on it?

Just my opinion but I don’t think JC has seen a passing game like Boyle’s.
Jack Lambert Wrote:Just my opinion but I don’t think JC has seen a passing game like Boyle’s.

Very few high school teams have Jack, I’m not sure how soon or if we’ll ever see as many talented receivers on the same team...Colwick imo gets overshadowed by Smith and he’s a special player in his own right
Again, I'm going back to yester year but Patrick Towels wasn't too shabby, nor was Austin Collinsworth. Granted they are not relevant to this game but Matney has indeed seen how to prepare for the elite caliber. And on top of that Towels was very mobile. I cant think of another Kentucky high school quarterback that has been any better since him.

A wide open dropped pass in the endzone cost JC a victory over one of the most highly ranked teams in the country as well as one of the best in the history of Kentucky high school football.

I know what the responses are going to be from the Boyle faithful on this, but....Just saying

Just making the point that he knows how to prepare. And not saying that insures any kind of a win, either.
When JC was battling the Highlands of the world, I remember the games being somewhat low scoring affairs (the ones played in Paintsville) at least for a half. 7-7, 14-7 type scores going into halftime. So this JC staff knows how to defend true D1 Power 5 players. Also, JC’s offense can really shorten a game if they feel the need to churn down the clock. Boyle Co is obviously a complete team and that’s what it will take to defeat JC.

JC 28
BC 22
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14