Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Boyle Co. vs. Johnson Central (Class 4A State Championship)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Diogenes Wrote:Remember that game well. Mister Cobble, great D1 recruit, spent the entire second half laying on the field sucking wind. They didn’t like getting hit. They didn’t want any more of that action at all.
The 48 points that Johnson Central scored in that game was the most any team scored on 3A state champion Central that season and Central's schedule included 6A state champion Saint X, 5A state champion Highlands, Male, and Dupont Manual. Central had a great team that season but they just did not match up well with Johnson Central.

But this Johnson Central team, which is among the Golden Eagles' best, is slower, weaker, less skilled, and may be less physical than Boyle County's team. Let's just hope that the Golden Eagles manage to keep next week's game respectable. Maybe they will be feeling charitable and run their vanilla offense again that allowed Central to hang close for awhile. Confusednicker:
Just found out a couple of weeks ago that I have a good bit of family history in Johnson County and had a Great Grandmother named Matney so I'm not quite feeling the bad blood as much as I was. Still hope Boyle wins and wins big so I don't feel like I'm having a heart attack for 48 minutes. JC is on an historic run of 5 title games in a row and just glad we didn't have to play them in a semi final game. Wasn't the biggest fan of the RPI system put in and still want them to tweak along the way to make it better but it did seem to keep the top two teams from playing in the semi's this year. Good luck to both teams and Go Rebels !!
Hoot Gibson Wrote:The 48 points that Johnson Central scored in that game was the most any team scored on 3A state champion Central that season and Central's schedule included 6A state champion Saint X, 5A state champion Highlands, Male, and Dupont Manual. Central had a great team that season but they just did not match up well with Johnson Central.

But this Johnson Central team, which is among the Golden Eagles' best, is slower, weaker, less skilled, and may be less physical than Boyle County's team. Let's just hope that the Golden Eagles manage to keep next week's game respectable. Maybe they will be feeling charitable and run their vanilla offense again that allowed Central to hang close for awhile. Confusednicker:

Sounds like to me from reading this thread that both teams can’t beat the other so they should just both stay at home and forfeit.Confusednicker:
Boyle by a large margin. They have the better athletes and will control the line of scrimmage. This is the first real competition that Central will see this year.
Ralph Furley Wrote:Boyle by a large margin. They have the better athletes and will control the line of scrimmage. This is the first real competition that Central will see this year.

Their SoS are basically the same?? Boyle might the best athlete on the field but I wouldn’t put money on them having more overall. I actually think they are pretty close to each other. I don’t think we had the best player on field last year in our game, but I do honestly think we had more spread out across the field. JC might be somewhat similar. But I believe this years Boyle team is better than last years along with most id say. It’s a very intriguing matchup with two teams that are very close overall IMO
I coached at the 1AA level years ago and I’ve seen both teams play in person. I think Boyle is better than Central overall but expect it to be close. Boyle will have the strongest man on the field with Kelly who will disrupt Centrals offense. Kelly may be the best dlineman in the state and is Boyle’s most physical player. Also I think Boyle’s oline is very average and will have trouble blocking Central also. Lanter isn’t mobile and the amount of pressure put on him may dictate the game. Lanter will pick you apart if you give him time. It’s hard to go against Boyle and Chuck Smith so I’m going 24-21 Boyle, but I wouldn’t call it an upset if Johnson Central wins.
Ralph Furley Wrote:This is the first real competition that Central will see this year.

Couldn’t the same be said of Boyle county?
No...because no one thinks our slow, soft, mush headed marshmallows from JC will be any competition either.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:The 48 points that Johnson Central scored in that game was the most any team scored on 3A state champion Central that season and Central's schedule included 6A state champion Saint X, 5A state champion Highlands, Male, and Dupont Manual. Central had a great team that season but they just did not match up well with Johnson Central.

And didn't have a clue what the number of the train was that went thru them that day, either.
Jack Lambert Wrote:Boyle has played JC before at Paintsville and at home, so I know how the Eagles play the game just saying Boyle is as physical as they come, and in no way is that disrespecting JC.

And I believe every word of that.

But don't confuse the nowadays JC teams with the teams that played Boyle 12 or so years ago, or when ever it was. Whole different breed of animal. Not that they were not good teams, just at a different level now. Those were still the stepping stone years of Matney developing the program.
It’s going to be a great game and u better believe JC is physical they will absolutely smack u in the mouth
Football Scout Wrote:I coached at the 1AA level years ago and I’ve seen both teams play in person. I think Boyle is better than Central overall but expect it to be close. Boyle will have the strongest man on the field with Kelly who will disrupt Centrals offense. Kelly may be the best dlineman in the state and is Boyle’s most physical player. Also I think Boyle’s oline is very average and will have trouble blocking Central also. Lanter isn’t mobile and the amount of pressure put on him may dictate the game. Lanter will pick you apart if you give him time. It’s hard to go against Boyle and Chuck Smith so I’m going 24-21 Boyle, but I wouldn’t call it an upset if Johnson Central wins.
I pretty much agree. I think Boyle is a tad more talented overall than central, because of the stars they have. But I do believe across all 11 players on both sides central is pretty close to them. Instead of having 4 or 5 stars with a lot of talent it’s more spread out across central is I guess what I’m trying to say.

Looking at some of the games this year I think boyles Oline is their weakest link. I don’t mean that as disrespect, they are still good. Just their weakest link team wise. I do believe that’s one of the advantages that JC can take and use as a key to victory.

Boyles QB isn’t the most mobile QB, although I think he can throw on the run pretty good with short-medium routes. But he’s not elusive enough to hurt you with his legs. You basically said what I did earlier. This game might come down to the pressure put on him and the decisions he’s makes. Like you said, if given time, he’ll pick you apart! (I.e. corbin 2017). But if you can take away the middle and out routes and get to him quick enough, you give yourself a solid chance(i.e. Corbin 2018). But if JC tries to just play back in coverage like we did in the ‘17 title game, it’ll probably be a similar outcome. No 4A team can cover all 3 of boyles top WRs. Everyone concentrates on Smith, but you have another solid WR who is almost just as fast on the other side of field.

You can’t forget about boyles run game either. McDaniel’s is turned into a solid RB. I don’t think he’ll have the games he’s been having because JC is good at stopping the run, but you have to account for him too.

But on the flip side of it all, this game isn’t gonna be if JC can just stop Boyle. Central has a heck of a run game that is hard to stop. You have to have very disciplined defensive players that knows their responsibility on every play and set. And even then you still have to make the correct read, angle, play, and most of of tackle. I keep hearing Boyles defense is conditioned to stop the run, but I honestly don’t see them shutting down centrals run game. They might slow it down, but won’t stop it. Boyle has the speed but central appears to be stronger across the board on average. They have an experienced QB that knows the offense very well.

I think this game will live up to expectations. I’ve said before there really isn’t a clear cut favorite in my view, but since there has to be, id give the nod to Boyle. I just hope it’s a good, hard fighting, INJURY free game, that gets left on the field when the clock hits zero. Or if it’s a case like belfry/desales, a little after it hits zero. Either way both teams have had an amazing season. I’m kinda curious if the attendance record will be broken. I know corbin/Boyle has it for the 3A game. Not sure what 4A is. But we’ve got a week to have some good ‘ole football discussions about it on here. I just hope it can stay as a debate and not bickering back and forth. And that goes for both sides and everyone involved. Good luck to ya.
I’m believe I’m done as far as I’m concerned y’all can discuss this game with each other the rest of the week, every time a Boyle fan says something positive about their team you get offended, I got to say the Corbin and Belfry fanbases are on another level.

I know you won’t miss me ��
Jack Lambert Wrote:I’m believe I’m done as far as I’m concerned y’all can discuss this game with each other the rest of the week, every time a Boyle fan says something positive about their team you get offended, I got to say the Corbin and Belfry fanbases are on another level.

Got nothing but positives and respect from this Central fan for both teams. Great coaches, great players, and great fans on both sides. Should be a massive contest between two super football teams. Worth flying in from Las Vegas to watch, cause that’s what I’m doing personally. Expecting an epic battle, but nothing either way would surprise me. Ready to play this thing today. Go Eagles!
Jack Lambert Wrote:I’m believe I’m done as far as I’m concerned y’all can discuss this game with each other the rest of the week, every time a Boyle fan says something positive about their team you get offended, I got to say the Corbin and Belfry fanbases are on another level.

Gee, who's getting offended? I just thought JC fans were explaining their teams strengths, weaknesses, and history just as Boyle fans were doing the same. I know that's all I have been doing, anyway. I have seen no reaction from anyone at all, period. It's been a long time since either has played each other, so I don't think either base is really all that familiar with the other. If you want to see offended, just mention that your name is NotsoBAD. Or more recently, FoSho. :biggrin:

Color me puzzled, because I don't have a clue what you're talking about.
Ralph Furley Wrote:Boyle by a large margin. They have the better athletes and will control the line of scrimmage. This is the first real competition that Central will see this year.

Are you saying Belfry, Sycamore Ohio, Simon Kenton, and Capital WV are no competition?
Steeler fan for life!!! Would be sacrilege to get sideways with a user ID of Jack Lambert!!! Keep it rollin' .
Bolt Wrote:I'm sure it wont always be the case, but man I love how the RPI system worked so well this year.
It really gave the best teams a chance to play.
Hopefully JC can bring another title home.

Matney has proven you can take a loser and turn it into a winner.
No other program has any excuses for not turning it around.

This is the post of the year. Just a few short years ago Johnson Central would sometimes struggle to beat middle of the road 1A teams. You hear people who are from schools and teams who are bad or mediocre every year saying things like "no one can win here" or "we just don't have the athletes at this school" and many others. People take up for mediocre coaches and say "he's doing the best anyone could do here" but that is plain garbage. When it comes to any sports team you get exactly what you put in and the success of your team is a direct reflection of the coaching worth. A good coach who knows what he is doing and is a leader can come in, surround himself with good people from youth league on up to his own staff and change everyone's outlook and turn any team and program anywhere unto a competitive winner. I remember back in the late 80's people made those same excuses for my team the Lawrence County Bulldogs. But then in the early 90's all it took was the right head coach making the right moves and hires and next thing you know the Bulldogs went on a legendary run through the full decade of the 90's till about 2003 or 2004 with more wins and undefeated seasons than any team in the mountains during that 14 year period.
Hound05 Wrote:I can validate what jack said. He was straight up about it all.

I’ll second that Jack has always been straight forward with his opinion and I’ve always enjoyed hearing from him...
Hound05 Wrote:Here’s a little bit of my insight about it, even though nobody cares haha. I will say centrals team speed slowed Boyle down some, but that wasn’t the reason for the outcome. If you go back and look a majority of the time the WRs had their man beat, either be on a post, slant, whatever. Centrals D line strength and speed is what made the most difference to me. They penetrated on a lot of plays, while boyles QB wasn’t running for his life last night, he did get decent pressure on him a lot. This stopped him from setting up on some of the deeper plays to smith or plays that Boyle usually excels at that take a little more time. Penetration from JC will also be a huge factor in the ball game next week. But it’s got to be controlled penetration, because lanter can throw on the run and hit cross routes or slants all night if made to do so. Central brought it from the outside here and there causing him to step up in the pocket and where I believe he’s not as good as he is at throwing on the run.

This is not a shot at him or anyone else, it’s like saying a player shoots better at the free throw line than a 15 footer. But I do think that will be a key point for JC if they want to win. All this team speed doesn’t mean anything if they can’t get the ball. Corbin tried, and done it, and it worked out good for them.

Yep, Lanter imo is underrated, only way to slow Boyle passing game down is keep flushing him from the pocket, disrupt the timing, if you let him he’ll stay back there and pick your defense apart...
I don't know who will win this game but I do know that Johnson Central has got to be able to score on their every possession because Boyle County will.
single shot Wrote:Yep, Lanter imo is underrated, only way to slow Boyle passing game down is keep flushing him from the pocket, disrupt the timing, if you let him he’ll stay back there and pick your defense apart...

Yep he done it to us the first time around. I’m no matney but I’d run a variant of cover 2 and bring the house haha.
rick2517 Wrote:I don't know who will win this game but I do know that Johnson Central has got to be able to score on their every possession because Boyle County will.
They didn't score on every possession against Central.

Johnson Central and Boyle County are the top two offensive and the top two defensive teams in class 4A and they have played comparable schedules. It is highly unlikely that either team is going to avoid punting in the championship game.

And you've seen Boyle play how many times was that, again?
I truly believe that this is a 50/50 game with no favorite. I do like our chances if this comes down to kicking field goals and extra points.
Bob Seger Wrote:And you've seen Boyle play how many times was that, again?

You can’t pay any attention to Ralphy he is a fan other school close to Johnson Central and he hates the Eagles
pirateforlife Wrote:Are you saying Belfry, Sycamore Ohio, Simon Kenton, and Capital WV are no competition?

Simon Kenton is not a good team not sure about the rest
sstack Wrote:Simon Kenton is not a good team not sure about the rest
According to CalPreps, Belfry is better than any team that Boyle County has played. So was Wayne County, although their starting QB went down early in their loss to JC.

Lexington Catholic and Central were the two best teams that Boyle Country has played but Central also lost their starting quarterback early in the loss to BC.

If Boyle County is the first real competition that Johnson Central will be facing, then the same must be said of Boyle County.
Bob Seger Wrote:No disrespect to Boyle Co., but this is hardly the first time that Johnson Central has faced really good teams in the playoffs, and probably some that were better. They went almost a whole decade going against the great Highland (ranked #2 nationally) and CovCath teams. Won some of them and lost some of them, but they always showed up to play and each opponenrt always knew they had been in a game. For several years and for all intents and purposes the actual state championship game was played when they went up against each other.

Franklin Simpson must not have gotten that memo.

Honestly, imo, JC was more talented than FS both years they lost to them, but, they played very tight and uncomfortable in those matchups. They may be more talented overall than Boyle, but, if they play like they did in those games, Boyle will blow their doors off quickly. JC's biggest challenge will be between their ears, because regardless how good you've been throughout the season, this game on the big stage against great competition is a whole new ballgame. Matney needs to push the right buttons this week in getting those kids ready to play in this type game.

IMO, the 1st quarter will be very telling on how this game may playout. JC needs to play well early, get some confidence going and then just play their game. If they do that, they can certainly win this game. If they play poorly early or has a turnover or 2 and lets Boyle get up a couple of scores, it could be a long night.
Boyle leads the all-time series 2-0. Both games were played in the regular season.
2009: Boyle County 49-7 (15-0, 4A state champs)
2010: Boyle County 36-29 (15-0, 4A state champs)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14