Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Boyle Co. vs. Johnson Central (Class 4A State Championship)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Jack Lambert Wrote:You got no excuses from me last year, Boyle got their tales whipped in the trenches on both sides of the ball and that’s why Corbin won the game.

I can validate what jack said. He was straight up about it all.
Jack Lambert Wrote:KHSAA says 184 yds on 31 carries, look it up yourself.

That’s because each team post what stats they have to KHSAA. Their stats are different then what Jc has It’s just like franklin co. Having 4 guys with 100 tackles or right at it. Stats do always add up like they are shown. Jc had 4 int Friday and just 3 on the KHSAA
Jack Lambert Wrote:You were the one comparing offenses not me.��
You made the statement that Boyle County's line is every bit as good as Johnson Central's. Maybe that is true, but the rushing stats certainly don't support that assertion. Every defensive stat for these two teams indicate that they are very close.

In citing Hightower's stats from last night, the implication was that JC did a poor job defending him. In fact, Johnson Central's defense played pretty well against MNH and neutralized its passing attack with four interceptions while keeping Hightower contained and out of the end zone.

According to CalPreps, SOS for Boyle County and Johnson Central are virtually identical, so I don't think that you can point to Johnson Central's schedule as a factor that skews either their offensive or defensive stats.

There is more to skill than winning a foot race. Boyle County obviously has an edge in speed in several positions but if Boyle County held an advantage in every single phase of the game, then CalPreps would not have next week's game rated a virtual toss-up.

As for the comment that you made about sacks, - yes I realize that is where Lanter's negative yardage came from. In most cases, an elite team's quarterback - even a stand in the pocket QB - offsets sack yardage with some rushes with positive yardage. For example, Lexington Catholic's Beau Allen had 517 net yards rushing this season and Covington Catholic;s Caleb Jacob had 105 net yards rushing for the season.
Nygfan106wins Wrote:That’s because each team post what stats they have to KHSAA. Their stats are different then what Jc has It’s just like franklin co. Having 4 guys with 100 tackles or right at it. Stats do always add up like they are shown. Jc had 4 int Friday and just 3 on the KHSAA
Apparently, MNH reported 4 interceptions and JC reported 3 to KHSAA.
Hatz Wrote:The Boyle County Fanbase? As opposed to the others on here? :please:

Yes, by far.
Here’s a little bit of my insight about it, even though nobody cares haha. I will say centrals team speed slowed Boyle down some, but that wasn’t the reason for the outcome. If you go back and look a majority of the time the WRs had their man beat, either be on a post, slant, whatever. Centrals D line strength and speed is what made the most difference to me. They penetrated on a lot of plays, while boyles QB wasn’t running for his life last night, he did get decent pressure on him a lot. This stopped him from setting up on some of the deeper plays to smith or plays that Boyle usually excels at that take a little more time. Penetration from JC will also be a huge factor in the ball game next week. But it’s got to be controlled penetration, because lanter can throw on the run and hit cross routes or slants all night if made to do so. Central brought it from the outside here and there causing him to step up in the pocket and where I believe he’s not as good as he is at throwing on the run.

This is not a shot at him or anyone else, it’s like saying a player shoots better at the free throw line than a 15 footer. But I do think that will be a key point for JC if they want to win. All this team speed doesn’t mean anything if they can’t get the ball. Corbin tried, and done it, and it worked out good for them.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:You made the statement that Boyle County's line is every bit as good as Johnson Central's. Maybe that is true, but the rushing stats certainly don't support that assertion. Every defensive stat for these two teams indicate that they are very close.

In citing Hightower's stats from last night, the implication was that JC did a poor job defending him. In fact, Johnson Central's defense played pretty well against MNH and neutralized its passing attack with four interceptions while keeping Hightower contained and out of the end zone.

According to CalPreps, SOS for Boyle County and Johnson Central are virtually identical, so I don't think that you can point to Johnson Central's schedule as a factor that skews either their offensive or defensive stats.

There is more to skill than winning a foot race. Boyle County obviously has an edge in speed in several positions but if Boyle County held an advantage in every single phase of the game, then CalPreps would not have next week's game rated a virtual toss-up.

I’m not going to beat my head against the wall it’s a waste of time, you win we’ll let the teams settle it on the field Saturday.
Jack Lambert Wrote:I’m not going to beat my head against the wall it’s a waste of time, you win we’ll let the teams settle it on the field Saturday.
If the game could be won through forum posts, then there would be no need for Johnson Central to waste their time and gas next week. But a win is a win. I will take it. :biggrin:
Hound05 Wrote:Here’s a little bit of my insight about it, even though nobody cares haha. I will say centrals team speed slowed Boyle down some, but that wasn’t the reason for the outcome. If you go back and look a majority of the time the WRs had their man beat, either be on a post, slant, whatever. Centrals D line strength and speed is what made the most difference to me. They penetrated on a lot of plays, while boyles QB wasn’t running for his life last night, he did get decent pressure on him a lot. This stopped him from setting up on some of the deeper plays to smith or plays that Boyle usually excels at that take a little more time. Penetration from JC will also be a huge factor in the ball game next week. But it’s got to be controlled penetration, because lanter can throw on the run and hit cross routes or slants all night if made to do so. Central brought it from the outside here and there causing him to step up in the pocket and where I believe he’s not as good as he is at throwing on the run.

This is not a shot at him or anyone else, it’s like saying a player shoots better at the free throw line than a 15 footer. But I do think that will be a key point for JC if they want to win. All this team speed doesn’t mean anything if they can’t get the ball. Corbin tried, and done it, and it worked out good for them.

Finally someone who makes sense, for what it’s worth IMO this Boyle team is better than the 2017 team Corbin lost to in the state title game.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:If the game could be won through forum posts, then there would be no need for Johnson Central to waste their time and gas next week. But a win is a win. I will take it. :biggrin:

You win by forfeit, we could argue back and forth all week but I just don’t have time so I concede.😁
Jack Lambert Wrote:Finally someone who makes sense, for what it’s worth IMO this Boyle team is better than the 2017 team Corbin lost to in the state title game.

From what I’ve watched, not in person but on film, yes they definitely seem to be so. On offense, I know they are better, but it’s hard for me to judge how much really, it’s hard to explain. They just look crisper in all that they do. Everything Just looks smooth and on point. Everyone can feel free to disagree with me but, I don’t think this years line was better than that teams line. Overall better but that ‘17 line was a beauty to watch. Unfortunately I was on the wrong side of it haha.

On the defensive side I think they are better too. They’ve got more speed in the LB corps or it appears that they do. It looks like they might be a little weaker strength wise, maybe they sacrificed it for speed? But it doesn’t matter because the front 4 ARE stronger. Which makes for a good combo on stunts, blitzes etc. If you have a guy like kelly getting upfield and drawing multiple blockers, a fast LB corps can get through those gaps with relative ease. Which is what a saw a little of against central.

Now does Boyle have weaknesses? Yep. Every team, every player, every coach does. But I’ll get more into that after watching a little more of JC and breaking my thoughts down all at once.
Jack Lambert Wrote:You got no excuses from me last year, Boyle got their tales whipped in the trenches on both sides of the ball and that’s why Corbin won the game.

Jack, you are a class act. There is no denying that. I'm not going to post anymore in this thread this week because I don't have a team playing in it, and I don't want members from these two schools to not post because of me. I will be monitoring, but I won't be posting. I hope both teams have an injury free game.
Nygfan106wins Wrote:That’s because each team post what stats they have to KHSAA. Their stats are different then what Jc has It’s just like franklin co. Having 4 guys with 100 tackles or right at it. Stats do always add up like they are shown. Jc had 4 int Friday and just 3 on the KHSAA

I know this, so what makes JC’s stats more right than Madisonville?
Jack Lambert Wrote:I know this, so what makes JC’s stats more right than Madisonville?

I’m not saying that they are , just stats are not always up to par.
Jack Lambert Wrote:I know this, so what makes JC’s stats more right than Madisonville?

We actually had this debate in a previous thread. It was on the lines of some big discrepancies between the two teams stats. I’ve seen it in games with corbin, as I’m sure every team has. I told a story about we once held a team to hardly any first downs, but yet somehow their RB had like 100 yds rushing and the entire offense only put up about 160 the whole game according to corbins stats. Now I’m not saying ours aren’t “doctored” but I know that kid didn’t have anywhere close to 100. But where it becomes a problem is when kids start breaking records with those stats. I mentioned that in today’s time the KHSAA should have a program that’s flags those types of things when stats are reported to them. I know now in baseball you HAVE to have a lap top or device in the dugout to keep the books, not sure about football??

Didn’t mean to get off topic but it kills me when I look at teams numbers and a majority of the time they’re close, but sometimes when you look closely at some teams a kid will record 4 sacks and and the other team will post none. Not implying any of these teams do it, it just bugs me and I guess I need to rant!! I’m done now 😬. Back to the best game of the week!!!
The teams are pretty simple to break down..
Speed Boyle
Power JC
Physical JC
Although both teams excel this time of year This Boyle class has been groomed for this day.

The difference in this game will be if Boyle hits on a couple homerun plays they pull away, if not then it’s going to be all out war and the best game in Lexington this season. JC can control the clock it will be hard to beat them, IMO there is no clear cut favorite and those two keys I just stated is IMO what is going to determine a winner. I have the upmost respect for both programs, as I have said before They are the two best at what they do.
First off just want to say I’m very glad the new system is getting the best teams into the championship game. If someone mentioned in this thread neither team had a Strong schedule, so no advantage there. I’ve seen Boyle county play but not Johnson central.I do think some of the Boyle county fans over rate this team after seeing them play a very bad Highlands team with a non-existent offense. Highlands was able to be in the game for 3 quarters down only 13 to nothing, after several red zone turnovers on offense. I definitely think JC will be able to move the ball against them. I think JC can control Boyle’s running game. What concerns me is if jc can defend the pass game. In the game that I saw Boyle County’s QB played excellent and I feel he could be the difference maker in this game.
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:The teams are pretty simple to break down..
Speed Boyle
Power JC
Physical JC
Although both teams excel this time of year This Boyle class has been groomed for this day.

The difference in this game will be if Boyle hits on a couple homerun plays they pull away, if not then it’s going to be all out war and the best game in Lexington this season. JC can control the clock it will be hard to beat them, IMO there is no clear cut favorite and those two keys I just stated is IMO what is going to determine a winner. I have the upmost respect for both programs, as I have said before They are the two best at what they do.

I think the “home run” plays Will be the difference in who wins. Can Boyle Co make them? Can JC stop them?
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:The teams are pretty simple to break down..
Speed Boyle
Power JC
Physical JC

In a way it’s hard not to say that JC has as well. This senior class has been to 4 state titles in a row
sstack Wrote:First off just want to say I’m very glad the new system is getting the best teams into the championship game. If someone mentioned in this thread neither team had a Strong schedule, so no advantage there. I’ve seen Boyle county play but not Johnson central.I do think some of the Boyle county fans over rate this team after seeing them play a very bad Highlands team with a non-existent offense. Highlands was able to be in the game for 3 quarters down only 13 to nothing, after several red zone turnovers on offense. I definitely think JC will be able to move the ball against them. I think JC can control Boyle’s running game. What concerns me is if jc can defend the pass game. In the game that I saw Boyle County’s QB played excellent and I feel he could be the difference maker in this game.

Both teams have their stars, but in the grand scheme of it all, it’s gonna come down to both teams QBs and the decisions they make. Boyle with the pass, JC with the read options. Both are amazing players, seniors, and are two very different types of QBs.
Hound05 Wrote:In a way it’s hard not to say that JC has as well. This senior class has been to 4 state titles in a row

True but Boyle has ran the gauntlet for three years and 4a had a couple tough teams while 3a was loaded. That is not discrediting JC but at one time 4a was considered a weak class. In no shape form nor fashion am I taking away what they done as a team. As sophomores Boyle’s team was unreal and was majority of starters.
You know I’ve read in a few posts about how JC will have the edge when it comes to being physical I’ve watched this senior class for Boyle play since the 6th grade my son would have been a member of this class had he not quit football and joined the fishing team between his freshman and sophomore years, and I’ve only seen one team in one game match them physically and that was Corbin last year in the semifinals and they were the better team in the trenches that’s why they beat Boyle, I’ve watched these kids play a ton of games in those 7 years, and in all 14 games they’ve played this season they have been by far the more physical team including the Central game Friday night and most of you posters on here know about Central and Belfry’s history how physical Central is each and every season, when you out physical Central you’re doing something my point is I’m not saying JC won’t be as physical as Boyle but I’ll have to see it to believe it.
JC is a physical team; very aggressive and plays smart!
So does Boyle.

Boyle is impressive with their strength and makes other teams make mistakes.
So does JC.

It's why we play the game. And I cannot wait to see this one.

Good luck to both teams. I'll see you at Kroger!!
Jack Lambert Wrote:You know I’ve read in a few posts about how JC will have the edge when it comes to being physical I’ve watched this senior class for Boyle play since the 6th grade my son would have been a member of this class had he not quit football and joined the fishing team between his freshman and sophomore years, and I’ve only seen one team in one game match them physically and that was Corbin last year in the semifinals and they were the better team in the trenches that’s why they beat Boyle, I’ve watched these kids play a ton of games in those 7 years, and in all 14 games they’ve played this season they have been by far the more physical team including the Central game Friday night and most of you posters on here know about Central and Belfry’s history how physical Central is each and every season, when you out physical Central you’re doing something my point is I’m not saying JC won’t be as physical as Boyle but I’ll have to see it to believe it.

Hmmm, apparently you've never heard the tale of how big and bad Louisville Central came to Johnson Central, highly ranked, loaded with D1 commits and an overwhelming favorite to blow Johnson Central off the field. Now here's the tale, that despite all of the message board hype, Louisville Central got ground up like a sack of corn meal and got the hammer laid on them like they had never experienced before ...By halfway thru the second quarter they were a decimated bunch of whipped puppies and cries of "no mas" was heard across the land..They wanted no part of Johnson Central ever again.

The end of story reads like this, it was probably the worst and most humiliating defeat for Louisville Central during the Jerry Scroggins era.
Boyle in a 10 point game.
Bob Seger Wrote:Hmmm, apparently you've never heard the tale of how big and bad Louisville Central came to Johnson Central, highly ranked, loaded with D1 commits and an overwhelming favorite to blow Johnson Central off the field. Now here's the tale, that despite all of the message board hype, Louisville Central got ground up like a sack of corn meal and got the hammer laid on them like they had never experienced before ...By halfway thru the second quarter they were a decimated bunch of whipped puppies and cries of "no mas" was heard across the land..They wanted no part of Johnson Central ever again.

The end of story reads like this, it was probably the worst and most humiliating defeat for Louisville Central during the Jerry Scroggins era.

Boyle has played JC before at Paintsville and at home, so I know how the Eagles play the game just saying Boyle is as physical as they come, and in no way is that disrespecting JC.
Jack Lambert Wrote:You know I’ve read in a few posts about how JC will have the edge when it comes to being physical I’ve watched this senior class for Boyle play since the 6th grade my son would have been a member of this class had he not quit football and joined the fishing team between his freshman and sophomore years, and I’ve only seen one team in one game match them physically and that was Corbin last year in the semifinals and they were the better team in the trenches that’s why they beat Boyle, I’ve watched these kids play a ton of games in those 7 years, and in all 14 games they’ve played this season they have been by far the more physical team including the Central game Friday night and most of you posters on here know about Central and Belfry’s history how physical Central is each and every season, when you out physical Central you’re doing something my point is I’m not saying JC won’t be as physical as Boyle but I’ll have to see it to believe it.

I was gonna day basically the same thing you just did. A team will need to out match boyles physicality in order to win. But it won’t be easy. If it was then they wouldn’t have the record that they have. But I also think in order to do it you need depth or some dang good stamina. It takes a lot out of a player and team to go in every play and smash them in the mouth EVERY SINGLE PLAY. Because that’s what it’s gonna take. You take one play off, or lay off just a little and Boyle will make you pay for it.
Does anyone know which team is home/visitor and which side those fans would sit on?
Bob Seger Wrote:Hmmm, apparently you've never heard the tale of how big and bad Louisville Central came to Johnson Central, highly ranked, loaded with D1 commits and an overwhelming favorite to blow Johnson Central off the field. Now here's the tale, that despite all of the message board hype, Louisville Central got ground up like a sack of corn meal and got the hammer laid on them like they had never experienced before ...By halfway thru the second quarter they were a decimated bunch of whipped puppies and cries of "no mas" was heard across the land..They wanted no part of Johnson Central ever again.

Remember that game well. Mister Cobble, great D1 recruit, spent the entire second half laying on the field sucking wind. They didn’t like getting hit. They didn’t want any more of that action at all.
BCHSrebs Wrote:Does anyone know which team is home/visitor and which side those fans would sit on?

Boyle will be the home team from what I’ve read because they’re the higher seed.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14