Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Elliott County 75 Shelby Valley 69
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
I also agree I don't think the Faulkner boy would push anyone down, never heard a bad thing about him all through high school.
You know I am sick of this bickering on what team is the best and blah blah blah. As I have stated time and time again this field of 16 this year was absolutley amazing. Each team brought something to the table that we have not seen since the 90s. From the 17 and 14 Central team WHICH BEAT the highly favored Eastern team that beat them just a month ago by 23 to the amazing Louisville Holmes team. This season college and high school has been something every one has been waiting for, for a long time. This year it has been about the unknown moutain teams that have captured the states attention which we have ALL been waiting for. Every team, player and coach has put in alot of hard work and time to do what they have done and we all should acknowledge that rather then bickering.

Tonight Elliot was by far the better team and even though Valley played sub par on the offensive end. I am not sure if it was so much that Elliot county played that great of D or if it was that Valley just has hit a slump as of late. A friend and I were talking and throughout the regional tournament and first round of state Valley got off to a slow start. We were in an agreement that if they did that against this well rounded Elliot County team that there was no chance they could pull out the win and we were correct. Valley did not shot well against Mason Co. early on and it about bit them. Valley had a great season and that should be recognized they are in fact one of the top teams in the state. Elliot just has the better night tonight, they shot the ball EXTREMLY well, the hit their free throws and hit some clutch shots. The turning point in this game was the 3 at the end of the 3rd that put EC up by 4 and gave them all momentum. I think another determining factor that my friend pointed out and I agree with is this Valley team likes to play physical on the defensive end. They love to body you up full court and force you to the side line into traps. Tonight the refs were calling things that has not been called all season against Valley and they did not adjust to it which caused them to get into foul trouble. I question some of Valleys shot selections by a couple of players.

I for one will be supporting Elliot against Holmes however I do not invision a Elliot victory.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:You know I am sick of this bickering on what team is the best and blah blah blah. As I have stated time and time again this field of 16 this year was absolutley amazing. Each team brought something to the table that we have not seen since the 90s. From the 17 and 14 Central team WHICH BEAT the highly favored Eastern team that beat them just a month ago by 23 to the amazing Louisville Holmes team. This season college and high school has been something every one has been waiting for, for a long time. This year it has been about the unknown moutain teams that have captured the states attention which we have ALL been waiting for. Every team, player and coach has put in alot of hard work and time to do what they have done and we all should acknowledge that rather then bickering.

Tonight Elliot was by far the better team and even though Valley played sub par on the offensive end. I am not sure if it was so much that Elliot county played that great of D or if it was that Valley just has hit a slump as of late. A friend and I were talking and throughout the regional tournament and first round of state Valley got off to a slow start. We were in an agreement that if they did that against this well rounded Elliot County team that there was no chance they could pull out the win and we were correct. Valley did not shot well against Mason Co. early on and it about bit them. Valley had a great season and that should be recognized they are in fact one of the top teams in the state. Elliot just has the better night tonight, they shot the ball EXTREMLY well, the hit their free throws and hit some clutch shots. The turning point in this game was the 3 at the end of the 3rd that put EC up by 4 and gave them all momentum. I think another determining factor that my friend pointed out and I agree with is this Valley team likes to play physical on the defensive end. They love to body you up full court and force you to the side line into traps. Tonight the refs were calling things that has not been called all season against Valley and they did not adjust to it which caused them to get into foul trouble. I question some of Valleys shot selections by a couple of players.

I for one will be supporting Elliot against Holmes however I do not invision a Elliot victory.

Exactly, they didn't call it at the Expo for the Classic, in Florida, in the All "A", in district, in Region, or in the 1st round, but they called it tonight, and Valley couldn't play around it.
kybaseball Wrote:Anybody???????

well Valley did get the ball inside after Knipps 2nd foul however, the refs at that time were letting things go on the inside that they did not let go in the second half. Valley tried to draw the 3rd foul on Knipps but honestly Knipps played very careful untill he was took out with about a mintue to go in the half (someone correct me if that time frame is not right). Was really impressed with Knipps he was lights out the entire game and players very smart under pressure. If it wasnt for him this game would have been totally diffrent. Hope that shines some light on the situation.
letthebighogroot Wrote:Knipp done a good job defending him even with the fouls. In the second half Knipp really started to take it to him on the offensive end and they had to get him out of the game.

Thanks I missed it the first go around.

As far as the bickering goes both teams done a super job.:Thumbs: I remember when SV beat Elliott at the All A some of the SV fans rode the EC fans like a Walmart pony.
Must be a karma thing.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:You know I am sick of this bickering on what team is the best and blah blah blah. As I have stated time and time again this field of 16 this year was absolutley amazing. Each team brought something to the table that we have not seen since the 90s. From the 17 and 14 Central team WHICH BEAT the highly favored Eastern team that beat them just a month ago by 23 to the amazing Louisville Holmes team. This season college and high school has been something every one has been waiting for, for a long time. This year it has been about the unknown moutain teams that have captured the states attention which we have ALL been waiting for. Every team, player and coach has put in alot of hard work and time to do what they have done and we all should acknowledge that rather then bickering.

Great post. I couldn't have really summed up what I wanted to say any better. Congratulations Elliot County and good luck is all that I will add!
PC_You_Know Wrote:Exactly, they didn't call it at the Expo for the Classic, in Florida, in the All "A", in district, in Region, or in the 1st round, but they called it tonight, and Valley couldn't play around it.

just to make everyone aware that post of mine was not blaming it on the refs because it infact could have been called all season it just never was. First half the aggresion was allowed and in the second not so much. If Valley adjusts to the game which they did not do this could have been a diffrent story possibly no gurantee though. Elliot did a nice job of making Valley play their game. Valley got into a rythm early in the 3rd and then let Elliot take back over ater Valley took the 4 point lead. I still think these two are evenly matched and it is just a matter of what team shows up for each. Valley has been inconsistent in the second half of the season at finding a second threat in the scoring column which hurts their synergy. One night it may be Bryant the next Adams and so on.

I would like to give Kudos to Tyler Newsome who played an excellent game off the bench. I have said all season with friends that Valley would be more leathal adding him to the starting 5. Take out Hatfield and have him come off the bench considering his often foul troubles and allows him to be more of a pound it out player. With the lineup Valley has went with all season you limit yourself to IMO one perimeter shooter in Justice. If you add Newsome in there and let him get into a rythm early it stretches the opponets D. But i mean Booher knows what he is doing that was just a thought and I had to rant since their season has ended
I also thought Tyler Newsome played great tonight. Perhaps he was giving SV fans a sneak preview of what is to come next year.
kybaseball Wrote:Thanks I missed it the first go around.

As far as the bickering goes both teams done a super job.:Thumbs: I remember when SV beat Elliott at the All A some of the SV fans rode the EC fans like a Walmart pony.
Must be a karma thing.

HAHA that has got to be one of the funniest one liners I have ever heard. Kudos on that one.:thatsfunn
formerwildcat22 Wrote:I also thought Tyler Newsome played great tonight. Perhaps he was giving SV fans a sneak preview of what is to come next year.

I heard his name along with Hatfields a lot on the radio doing good things in the game. SV will be tough next year. Good luck next season.
Congrats to both teams on a great season!
this game was won and lost at the free throw line.peeeeeriod.Sounds to me like these two teams need a playoff game for charity.For shriners hillbilly bash or something like march of dimes..
Congrats EC, good luck Saturday
By Mike Fields

Elliott County’s sweet obsession this entire basketball season has been to play Saturday night in the Sweet Sixteen championship game under the bright lights in Rupp Arena.

The Lions’ quest is still alive after they beat mountain rival Shelby Valley 75-69 in the quarterfinals of the National City Boys’ Sweet Sixteen in front of 20,707 fans Friday night.

Elliott County (32-2) will face Holmes (34-2) in Saturday morning’s semifinals with the winner getting a shot at the state title Saturday night. (Elliott beat Anderson County in the first round.)

The Lions had all five starters score in double figures against Shelby Valley.

The Faulkner twins had a big night.

Ethan had 20 points, eight rebounds and four assists, and Evan had 13 points, 11 assists and four rebounds.

Jonathan Ferguson had 16 points. Timmy Knipp had 15 points and 10 rebounds. Chris Knipp added 11 points.

Shelby Valley dealt the Lions their only in-state defeat when they beat them 55-52 in the All “A” semifinals last month. But Ethan Faulkner said beating the Wildcats in the state tournament “was never about revenge.

“We set a goal at the beginning of the year to be playing Saturday night in Rupp.

“It didn’t matter who we played. That was our goal. Now we’re one game away.”

Junior point guard Elisha Justice led Shelby Valley with 25 points, seven rebounds and four assists. He had a tough shooting night, though. He was 9-for-28 from the field, including 3-for-12 on threes.

Tyler Newsome had 14 points off the bench. Ashley Hatfield had 11 points, but he also had a rough shooting night (3-for-16).

Despite their problems finding the basket, Shelby Valley put up a great fight.

Elliott County never trailed in the first half, and was on top 33-25 midway through the third quarter.

But Shelby Valley wiped out that deficit, using a 17-5 run to take a 42-38 lead.

Elliott County responded to the pressure, however. It answered with a 20-6 run to open a 58-48 lead with less than five minutes left.

But it still wasn’t over.
A Shelby Valley rally was helped by an intentional foul call against Ethan Faulkner when he made hard contact with Elisha Justice.

Justice hit a free throw, then added a three-pointer, and it was suddenly a close game again.

But Ferguson swung the momentum back to Elliott County with a three-pointer from the corner.
Elliott County led 71-67 when Justice missed a leaniig layup with 27 seconds left.

“If we hit that layup there it would’ve been a nail-biter at the end,” Shelby Valley Coach Jason Booher said. “But Elisha played his heart out and so did the rest of the team.

“Elliott County hit some big shots tonight. That’s what good teams do.”

The Lions sealed the victory by hitting 10 of 16 free throws in the last 1:38.
Chris Knipp had a few hiccups at the line, missing seven of 10. When he did hit a free throw late in the game, his teammates kidded him about hitting one when the pressure was off. Everybody had a laugh.

It was a more somber finish for Shelby Valley, which had its 24-game winning streak snapped.

“I appreciate my guys’ effort thoughout the course of this year,” Booher said.

“It was a great game tonight. I hate to see one of these mountain teams lose, espeically with it being us, but some nights you just don’t hit your shots.”

For the second night in a row, the 15th and 16th region teams played in front of more than 20,000 people in Rupp.

The total attendance for the tournament through Friday night — 98,655 — is the highest since 1993 when the tournament drew 99,228 through six sessions.
http://fieldsnotes.bloginky.com/2009/03/...by-valley/
Listen to EC postgame comments:

SV's Coach Booher postgame comments:

jetpilot Wrote:I say Elliott wins 7 out of 10 when SV goes 9-34 from the floor in the first half and Elliott shoots 40 free throws for the game. When those things don't happen I say SV wins 7-10. Elliott deserved the win tonight but if SV isn't ice cold they win.
If EC isn't ice cold the first meeting, they win that one.
Congrats to both teams. Shelby Valley we luv u :biggrin: What a great season u have given ur fans.
I listend to the majority of the game on the radio. Sounds like they just couldn't adjust to the way the game was being called. How many Valley players fouled out? Good game all around Valley had a shot in the end, but the layup didn't go, it happens. Different called games than what you've played all year seems to be Valleys demise in the finals both years. But theres always next year. Can't cheer for Elliott, just can't bring myself to do it. Sorry guys. I just really don't understand how people can say that this ended the debate. I mean each team split a game, If these teams played 10 times they would probly exchange wins each times. These teams are evenly matched and thats all there is to it.
TheRealVille Wrote:If EC isn't ice cold the first meeting, they win that one.

Exactly!!!!Game over the debate is settled Elliott is the better team peeeriod.

We can debate this or that Elliott fans could say how many more points could Timmy Knipp score if he wasn't in early foul trouble? But the only reason SV was so close in the end was because of the questionable intentional foul call. If not for that play which resulted in a 5 point trip down the floor Elliott wins by 12-15. SV has no reason to hang their head. They beat Mason and Elliot in the same year nobody else can claim that. A lot of teams would have been more than happy to trade seasons with SV.
kybaseball Wrote:Exactly!!!!Game over the debate is settled Elliott is the better team peeeriod.

We can debate this or that Elliott fans could say how many more points could Timmy Knipp score if he wasn't in early foul trouble? But the only reason SV was so close in the end was because of the questionable intentional foul call. If not for that play which resulted in a 5 point trip down the floor Elliott wins by 12-15. SV has no reason to hang their head. They beat Mason and Elliot in the same year nobody else can claim that. A lot of teams would have been more than happy to trade seasons with SV.

Still ends no debate. So, Valley had nothing to do with Elliott being cold, but the reason Valley was cold was Elliott. Look at the records this year aginst each other? 1-1 not 2-1 Elliott. Then the Knipp thing could be said for Ashley or ne one of the Valley players.

That amazing team is from Covington, not Louisville.
The games have been decided by a total of 9 points. Nothign has been settled these teams are very evenly matched.
PC_You_Know Wrote:OMG, FBALL has to be the most biased Staff member on this site. First he, OF COURSE, is the one to start this thread, then he brings up the debate of who is better, and he states the debate is over, get over it FBALL, you're a hater, you are jealous of what Valley has, the series is split 1-1 and will never be untied, end of debate, Valley got them a state title, let's see if Elliott can bring one home to the mountains. Remember, Valley still has another shot to win a state title, Elliott only has this last one.
lol..............Interesting quote from the most biased and obnoxious fan on BGR.

Oh Yeah, I forgot. You dont care if Valley wins or not. You are not associated with them this year.:biggrin:
did valley not beat elliot county in the all a so now we are tied
Congrats Elliott on the win.
This thread needs some cheese.

Elliott County plays physical on defense as well. Lets not break out the refs cost us the game garbage.

Elliott County cut down the turnovers and forced Shelby Valley into something they are not as comfortable doing. Making shots to win ball games. SV depends on justice and layups off of turnovers for all of their offense. The reason they shot the ball so poorly is that they didn't get the turnovers or the easy points that result from them.

But yeah, had the refs been fair and not cheated we know that nobody could beat SV.
For those crying foul about the free throw discrepancy please refer to the story by Mike fields. 16 of those free throws were in the final 1:38 of the game when SV was forced to foul to try and catch up.
Much like Sv did at Richmond, EC tried hard to keep Valley in this game. They would build a cushion, then stumble and bumble, making silly mistakes they normally don't make and missing easy lay-ups. Elliott played far from their best game, but it was good enough to beat a game Valley team in the Greatest Show in Hoops.
Notorious Wrote:Still ends no debate. So, Valley had nothing to do with Elliott being cold, but the reason Valley was cold was Elliott. Look at the records this year aginst each other? 1-1 not 2-1 Elliott. Then the Knipp thing could be said for Ashley or ne one of the Valley players.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

But yes it is over. The Faulkners 2 Justice 1 and it can never be evened up. SV may have something to do with Elliott being cold but more than likely they didn't because a lot of their shots were open looks they simply couldn't knock them down. Like I have said on here before that was then this is now.

FBALL 2 very strong post.:Thumbs:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10