Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell Red Devils 2008
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Yea what he said..............
still here!
DevilsWin Wrote:If Russell's kids had a mandatory weight program during the off season no one could touch Russell.
Hit the weights and improve your strength and speed and you'll be there for sure. If you don't do those things it's all just wishful thinking and a lot of breaks have to go your way to make it to the pizza box again.

Russell dosen't need a mandatory program. These kids live to play ball. They have one of the best feeder programs around. The kids here in Russell have one goal, STATE TITLE.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Dont say never, I do remember a passing team at Russell, and I mean passing. I cant remember what year it was but Russell lead the state in passing or holds some kind of record at KHSAA for passing. I think it was in the early 90's. They were tough too, alot of speed and height on that team. Anybody remember the QB name. I think DAY was the leading receiver and Matt was the QB. I am thinking 94 for some reason.

Russell has one great passer this year in A.J Cordle.
Sponge Bob Wrote:It appears that you think a multiple attack offense correlates to good coaching. It is sad how wrong you are. Now you can argue that the limitations of the wing-T are its downfall, and you would be correct to a point. However, there is more to being successful as a football team and a coach than having a multiple attack. It's called "execution". Russell is extremely effective in it's "old school, monkey taught" offense because of their GREAT EXECUTION of it. Yes, keeping what you are going to do a secret from the defense is a good thing, but I think it is also a GREAT testament to the ability of a football team to say, "I'm going to run this exact play at you, so see if you can stop it", and they can't! More times than not (by a long shot), when McGlone's wing-T offense is not effective, it is due to players not executing blocks correctly or to being simply outmatched physically. If you are not blocking the right people or or overmatched physically, then it really doesn't matter what offense you are running. Just curious, what would your opinions of the coaching staff be if next year, they implemented the Tony Franklin system and won a state championship? Would they now be "geniuses?" What if they did change to a completely new offensive system and were not effective with it, only winning an average of 3 games per season for the next 10 years?

Stating that Coach McGlone is not a good coach because of the offense he runs is the most absurd thing you can say. Russell is usually blessed with some good athletes, but give us a break. There are not great athletes coming out of the woodwork year in and year out. Do you seriously think that Russell had more good athletes this year than Ashland or Mason County, to name a few teams? To think so is asinine. I have watched Russell football for many years now,and I have seen them actually beat the majority of teams they have played with equal or moderately better talent. The games they lose are usually from facing teams with MUCH BETTER TALENT. There aren't too many times a team with much lesser talent wins.

I think you are actually proving the opposite point. I think Coach McGlone and the rest of the staff should get extra big props for being as effective year in and year out WITHOUT running a multiple attack offense. I think that tells us the true quality of their coaching ability.

If the offense a coach runs dictates how "good" of a coach they are, then I guess Bob Lutz, Phillip Haywood, to name a few, are HORRIBLE coaches.

Oh yeah, my two cents worth on the whole running back thing here. I didn't have the privilege of seeing the great running backs from the 1970's and before, but I've seen most of the rest. And yes, Ray Clark was very fast and talented, and a great running back, but 40 yard shuffle times and such don't always correlate to making you the "best" at your position. Josh Gross, in my opinion, is by far the best, pure, running back I've seen at Russell. Let's see, he rushed for a school record 289 yards and 5 TD's in the pouring rain against a pretty good Fleming County team. He then followed that up by rushing for 208 yards against an EXTREMELY good Belfry State Championship team. Those don't prove my point, but the are some fodder against saying he never played well against good teams. There are many more, but I'll keep it short.
Great post. One thing to remember it takes a great line up front.
EkyLb Wrote:
Offense

QB-Cordle
FB-Bates/Rice
RB-Abrams
RB-Bailey
TE-Dillon
SE-Mitchell
T-Miller
G-K Smith
C-Nick something, his last name I cant think if right off, and the roster won't come up on the website
G,T ??????????????

Defense
front 5 I have no idea other than Dillon and Miller in there somewhere
LB's-same 2 as last yr, Smith and Rice
Db's-Cordle, Fosson, Bailey, Abrams
Miller's OT, Nick Blevins C, N
Devil09 Wrote:Russell dosen't need a mandatory program. These kids live to play ball. They have one of the best feeder programs around. The kids here in Russell have one goal, STATE TITLE.

Very true..
Devil09 Wrote:Russell dosen't need a mandatory program. These kids live to play ball. They have one of the best feeder programs around. The kids here in Russell have one goal, STATE TITLE.
That's Great Devil 09. I can tell you this, the hardest working team usually wins in the big games.
The mind set has to be, never let your opponent outwork you.
District and Regional titles have came easy for Russell for the last 6 years but it's mostly due to great players. The years that they went to Louisville they had an abundance of gifted atheletes.
Russell will always have numbers because its a good school and a good community but we will always have down years and down periods.
With a mandatory weight program you would have less of those down years and slumping periods. Otherwise your leaving too much of the decision on Friday night in the hands of the officials, conditions and your opponent. Good competition rises to the ability of the opposition and Strength and Conditioning is a great way to get that edge. Execution is another way to get an edge and Russell has proven that they can win through execution.
If Russell had a mandatory weight program we would have 3-4 more State Titles in the Trophy Cabinet.
DevilsWin Wrote:That's Great Devil 09. I can tell you this, the hardest working team usually wins in the big games.
The mind set has to be, never let your opponent outwork you.
District and Regional titles have came easy for Russell for the last 6 years but it's mostly due to great players. The years that they went to Louisville they had an abundance of gifted atheletes.
Russell will always have numbers because its a good school and a good community but we will always have down years and down periods.
With a mandatory weight program you would have less of those down years and slumping periods. Otherwise your leaving too much of the decision on Friday night in the hands of the officials, conditions and your opponent. Good competition rises to the ability of the opposition and Strength and Conditioning is a great way to get that edge. Execution is another way to get an edge and Russell has proven that they can win through execution.
If Russell had a mandatory weight program we would have 3-4 more State Titles in the Trophy Cabinet.

I 100% agree...if russell had a mandatory weight lifting program they would be SO much better..most of the starters dont even come...there are only a few seniors that come..Nick Blevins, Koty Perkins, Drew Miller, Drew Abrams, A.J. Cordle thats good for those boys but the others that dont come aren't showing very much leadership out of the senior class
Not much time left to prove your worth..... GET BUSY !!!!!!!!
We'll see how well they do this weekend. State weight lifting comp. in Louisville. I understand they are taking 13 kids. Nick Blevins has be hurt and, has not lifted since there last meet in Raceland. I hope the other kids are healthy and up for it.
I heard that DREW wa an absolute beast and is bigger than Kasey was last year. Is it true????
Devil09 Wrote:We'll see how well they do this weekend. State weight lifting comp. in Louisville. I understand they are taking 13 kids. Nick Blevins has be hurt and, has not lifted since there last meet in Raceland. I hope the other kids are healthy and up for it.

It is being held at Central Hardin which is in Elizabeth town...not lousiville..yes nick has been hurt but he is competing this weekend and should do fairly well
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:I heard that DREW wa an absolute beast and is bigger than Kasey was last year. Is it true????

Bigger and Stronger
Spring football had started and so far the starting lineups go as followed:
Offense
QB-A.J. Cordle
Rb's-Drew Abrams, Dave Bailey, and Adam Bates
TE-Mikey Dillon
SE-Justin Mitchell
T-Drew Miller, and Im not sure about the other
C-Spencer Hutchinson
G-Kamron Smith, and Koty Perkins

Defense
E-Travis Jones, Navarone Alleshouse
T-Drew Miller, Mikey Dillon
NG-Adam Bates
LB-Kamron Smith, Will Rice
DB-Justin Mitchell, A.J. Cordle, Drew Abrams, and Dave Bailey
kyfballfan Wrote:Spring football had started and so far the starting lineups go as followed:
Offense
QB-A.J. Cordle
TE-Mikey Dillon
SE-Justin Mitchell
T-Drew Miller, and Im not sure about the other
C-Spencer Hutchinson
G-Kamron Smith, and Koty Perkins

Defense
NG-Adam Bates
There is a correction to be made to this lineup, spencer hutchinson is only at center in the absence of nick blevins who is gone for the week
Devil09 Wrote:There is a correction to be made to this lineup, spencer hutchinson is only at center in the absence of nick blevins who is gone for the week

no one has a "for sure" starting place yet
kyfballfan Wrote:Spring football had started and so far the starting lineups go as followed:
Offense
QB-A.J. Cordle
RT -Mikey Dillon
TE- New kid in town????
SE-Justin Mitchell
LT-Drew Miller
C-Nick Blevins
G-Kamron Smith, and Koty Perkins or WILL RICE
Defense
NG-Adam Bates

the new kid in town is more of a split end type of kid
Heard he was like 6'3" and athletic,, any truth to it? Just wondering? I do hate to loose Mikey at tight end but Mikey is a great kid and will put his heart inot whatever he plays.... I think,, Dont let me down MIkey .. I am saying good things about you..
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Heard he was like 6'3" and athletic,, any truth to it? Just wondering? I do hate to loose Mikey at tight end but Mikey is a great kid and will put his heart inot whatever he plays.... I think,, Dont let me down MIkey .. I am saying good things about you..

6'0" maybe 130lbs
okay thanks for the update, i am glad to hear some info on him. Thanks again.
highschoolfootballfan Wrote:6'0" maybe 130lbs
Somebody feed him.
yeah he needs to gain some weight if he plans on playing
FBALL Wrote:Somebody feed him.
Yeah nothing but steak and potatoes!
Sponge Bob Wrote:The funny thing about Seth Harvey is that they played him on offense at St. X. They said he was "too slow" for defense! From what I saw out of him at Russell, he was (unmotivatedly) mediocre on offense and the best young defensive lineman I've probably ever seen, at Russell.

Sorry guys, it's been awhile since I've been on here. To answer some of the questions on here. Yes, Seth plays offense at St X. They said that while he had the ability to play either side of the ball, but his best chance of getting recruited to a major D1 school was to play offensive tackle. Let me tell you, I sure miss watching him play on that side of the ball. Secondly, as much as I would love to move back to Russell, that won't be happening anytime soon. Even though my daughters and I would love to be there, my relocation package won't allow that. So for now I'm relegated to following our awesome Devil's via the internet
You Can Live In My House. I Will Stay In The Garage,, Just Come Back....this Is The Year We Are Going And Seth Would Be There Again.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:You Can Live In My House. I Will Stay In The Garage,, Just Come Back....this Is The Year We Are Going And Seth Would Be There Again.

You're too funny my friend! Appreciate the offer...Smile
just know that the offer always stands. Anyway how many looks is Seth getting now, Please tell of good news and I wish you guys the best. I hope that all are doing okay in the distant land they call Louisville, I hear tales of buildings with more than 4 floors!!!!,, Is it really like 2 Walmarts stacked on each other or are the stories about the big cities just stories?????
LOL, hope you guys have a great year and I hope to hear news of him sometime.
Give the ---D--- some props on here. I hear about Gross and Clark. A lot of the games were won on D side. Just the last few years Matt Thompson, Jeremiah Nunley, Matt Campbell and Tyler Jones were all great athletes. Thompson blocked for Gross and Nunley blocked for Gross and Clark. Dedicated in the weight room Nunley was fastest linebacker I have seen from side line to side line.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13