Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell Red Devils 2008
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Don't forget Will Rice, I was impressed to see him do what he did on defense as a linebacker. Tough kid hope to see him grow with the sport!
russell could be looking at Navarone Alleshouse to fill in for tyler or adam on defensive ends. i was told he saw lots of practice time working out in that position. Nick Blevins could be looking at a starting position for nose guard and center, but he needs to hit the weight room and get stronger. drew miller as right tackle. Could they possibly move Mike Dillon from tight end to tackle? Depending on transfers from other schools or someone stepping up to fill the spot that is likely to happen.
EkyLb Wrote:russell could be looking at Navarone Alleshouse to fill in for tyler or adam on defensive ends. i was told he saw lots of practice time working out in that position. Nick Blevins could be looking at a starting position for nose guard and center, but he needs to hit the weight room and get stronger. drew miller as right tackle. Could they possibly move Mike Dillon from tight end to tackle? Depending on transfers from other schools or someone stepping up to fill the spot that is likely to happen.

Don't forget about Max Rogers as well. Had some nice runs early in the season and made some nice plays on special teams.

IMO, I could see Mikey at one D. End, but I don't look for him to move from TE on offense, but you just never know.
EkyLb Wrote:russell could be looking at Navarone Alleshouse to fill in for tyler or adam on defensive ends. i was told he saw lots of practice time working out in that position. Nick Blevins could be looking at a starting position for nose guard and center, but he needs to hit the weight room and get stronger. drew miller as right tackle. Could they possibly move Mike Dillon from tight end to tackle? Depending on transfers from other schools or someone stepping up to fill the spot that is likely to happen.

I really think it would be a mistake to move Dillon from tight end. If I were the coach Dillon would have at least 5 balls thrown to him over the middle each game or untill the other team gets tired of getting run over. I think Dillon has the skills to be a weapon at tight end. I could although see Russell having some problems filling the tackle spots next year.
2005 state team, biggest lineman was Drew Mell-245 pounds, not size but overall team makes it. Strong and hardnose anyday.Can build size not heart, I'll take the latter any day..
Jeepman Wrote:I really think it would be a mistake to move Dillon from tight end. If I were the coach Dillon would have at least 5 balls thrown to him over the middle each game or untill the other team gets tired of getting run over. I think Dillon has the skills to be a weapon at tight end. I could although see Russell having some problems filling the tackle spots next year.

The TE has been open at Russell for 25 yrs, but when you dont pass very much, the ball usually goes to the SE or TB out of the backfield. Only QB-TE hookup I remember seeing alot was Drew Ramey to Chris Holbrook. I do agree Mikey needs to see more passes his way, great size and terrific hands. Russell could really pour it on next year on the offensive side of the ball. Best Offensive team in awhile. They have more than just 1 or 2 guys who can do great things on offense, they have 5 or 6, maybe more. This would require alot more passing, and we all know how thats gonna go, your gonna see about 4 passes a game, and about twenty 26's, 5-10 fullbacks up the middle, and a couple reverses. So instead of a team that could probably lead the state in offensive production. We'll look about average.
Passing at Russell,,,,,,,,,,,well I recieved the award in 1983 for outstanding reciever.playing TE...I caught 5 passes and had 7 thrown to me. Lost one at Belfry in the POND, and was devastated at Conner my last game. Lets see, oh yea I caught 5 passes all year. Now thats a passing game. Lets just say that you guys throw more in 1 game than we did all year !!!!!!!!
RedDevilRB Wrote:i have already talked to a few people..and we are gonna take a few weeks off to get our selves back together from the beatings this yr then hit the weights and runnin HARD

haha sounds about like you to say the beatings we took..haha. im sure not taking any weeks off im hitting them hard from now till football season.
That a boy.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:2005 state team, biggest lineman was Drew Mell-245 pounds, not size but overall team makes it. Strong and hardnose anyday.Can build size not heart, I'll take the latter any day..
Amen brother!!!!!
Great season for the guys this past year. i hope that next years team can step it up in the leadership roles. several people have commented on the sense of lack of leadership aside from tyler this past year.
They should be good again. I think it will be tougher replacing Jones on defense than offense.
EkyLb Wrote:The TE has been open at Russell for 25 yrs, but when you dont pass very much, the ball usually goes to the SE or TB out of the backfield. Only QB-TE hookup I remember seeing alot was Drew Ramey to Chris Holbrook. I do agree Mikey needs to see more passes his way, great size and terrific hands. Russell could really pour it on next year on the offensive side of the ball. Best Offensive team in awhile. They have more than just 1 or 2 guys who can do great things on offense, they have 5 or 6, maybe more. This would require alot more passing, and we all know how thats gonna go, your gonna see about 4 passes a game, and about twenty 26's, 5-10 fullbacks up the middle, and a couple reverses. So instead of a team that could probably lead the state in offensive production. We'll look about average.

I think that after looking at film in the off season McGloan will see that Dillon has the potential to be a devistating weapon coming across the middle. That could open up many things. If Dillon could work on his speed he would also be a great fullback. How would you like to have to tackle him 20 times in a game. You can increase your quickness and speed. I agree that russell should have a great team this coming year. I just hope that the leaders surface now and get the kids in the weight room.
Jeepman Wrote:I think that after looking at film in the off season McGloan will see that Dillon has the potential to be a devistating weapon coming across the middle. That could open up many things. If Dillon could work on his speed he would also be a great fullback. How would you like to have to tackle him 20 times in a game. You can increase your quickness and speed. I agree that russell should have a great team this coming year. I just hope that the leaders surface now and get the kids in the weight room.

I doubt he would do very well at fullback. Having never played in the backfield his entire life, and being 6'5" I think he would get his knees tore up. Would be a very dumb move on Russell's part to put him back there. Need him on the line moving people around. Mcglone has seen plenty of TE's open with good athletic ability before. Jeremy Jones is one of the recent ones. Good size, hands, and speed. Russell doesnt pass enough for the TE to be a main weapon. Most of your passes are gonna goto the recievers and backs, when you only pass 3-5 times a game. Although I really feel that will change this year/
Also the football coaches need to be getting on certain players who are going out for basketball and should be focusing on football. Unless they can somehow fit weightlifting in with basketball. Other than that, I would tell those kids their spot is open for next year.
I think next season will be a rough one for the Devils. With their weak district they should still be atleast .500 and make the playoffs. It may be a tough few years for Russell with this years freshman class going winless.....
GodisAshlandTomcat41 Wrote:I think next season will be a rough one for the Devils. With their weak district they should still be atleast .500 and make the playoffs. It may be a tough few years for Russell with this years freshman class going winless.....

This coming from a Tomcat fan....Big Grin

I will almost bet they will go at least 8-2 if not better. The freshman class means nothing when it comes to varsity ball. Russell had a new freshman coach this year and it always takes time for a new coach to get everything going in the right direction.
Yeah this yr's freshman class will have no effect on next yr's season, unless a couple of surprise kids step up and make them better. They will still better the tomcats by 14 or more. They only lose 3 starters on D, and 4 on O i think, maybe 5. As always at Russell there are very good atheletes to fill spots. now after next year, things could get rough, neither the soph or frosh class are very deep. Rough for Russell standards. Still be as good as the Tomcats were this year.
GodisAshlandTomcat41 Wrote:I think next season will be a rough one for the Devils. With their weak district they should still be atleast .500 and make the playoffs. It may be a tough few years for Russell with this years freshman class going winless.....
Yet still had a chance to win the Kiwanis Bowl.

If you think Russell will be down next year I think you are in for a rude awakening.
lol, Yeah keep thinking that .
You guys dont have to agree with me. Just my opinions....
GodisAshlandTomcat41 Wrote:You guys dont have to agree with me. Just my opinions....

Nor do you have to agree with us. But that is the beauty of this site we can disagree here unless members start attacking other members.

Welcome to the site.
Midee1 Wrote:Nor do you have to agree with us. But that is the beauty of this site we can disagree here unless members start attacking other members.

Welcome to the site.

Exactly. Big Grin
EkyLb Wrote:Yeah this yr's freshman class will have no effect on next yr's season, unless a couple of surprise kids step up and make them better. They will still better the tomcats by 14 or more. They only lose 3 starters on D, and 4 on O i think, maybe 5. As always at Russell there are very good atheletes to fill spots. now after next year, things could get rough, neither the soph or frosh class are very deep. Rough for Russell standards. Still be as good as the Tomcats were this year.

It may not have an immediate impact next season, but trust me it will have an effect. Ashlands senior class from this year went winless as freshman and that definitely contributed to their 2-8 record. When you have an entire class that is just less talented it is hard to overcome....
Well unless things have changed since I was in school, I don't believe you go straight from a Freshman to a Senior. I agree Russell has a tough couple years. After next year, judging by this yr, barring injury.. Russell will only return 2 starters after next season. They will lose the entire backfield, the entire DB core. The entire line, except I look for Kamron Smith to play at one of the guards. So Rice and Smith will probably be the only returning starters. So with a weak class underneath them, it could be a otugh year, but the 8th grade class is supposed to be real good again, so they will probably have alot of Soph's starting that year, which will bode well for the 2 seasons after that. At small schools like this, your gonna have your bad year once every 10-15 yrs.
NEVER underestimate the power of the coaching staff at RUSSELL. My senior year we returned around 3 starters from both sides of the ball. We were beat inthe final 4 in 83. NEVER underestimate the DEVILS. Yea we may look bad on paper but never give up.
This years team was not precicted to win their distrct leat alone beat mason twice and play inthe 3rd round. So if you want to give up on this team now go right ahead and move to a winning school.. UNlike the Russell program you are use to.
GodisAshlandTomcat41 Wrote:It may not have an immediate impact next season, but trust me it will have an effect. Ashlands senior class from this year went winless as freshman and that definitely contributed to their 2-8 record. When you have an entire class that is just less talented it is hard to overcome....

Not having Thomas at running back at the beginning of the year- hurt ya. The starting QB not playing on the team-hurt ya. Injuries - hurt ya.
Ashland always plays Russell tough, but you have to play everybody tough, and play every play.
GodisAshlandTomcat41 Wrote:It may not have an immediate impact next season, but trust me it will have an effect. Ashlands senior class from this year went winless as freshman and that definitely contributed to their 2-8 record. When you have an entire class that is just less talented it is hard to overcome....
The one thing about the freshman class this year is they got better as the year went on. They had some kids injured at the begining of the season, some didn't play at all. They were horrible at the begining. They only had 14 players practicing. By the end of the year I think the numbers were up to 22 and they were playing much better. Giving what is considered by many to be one of the strongest classes at Ashland in a while all they wanted. There is some talent there. It is not a deep class though.
GodisAshlandTomcat41 Wrote:You guys dont have to agree with me. Just my opinions....
Have any of us ever agreed with you?:moon:
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Not having Thomas at running back at the beginning of the year- hurt ya. The starting QB not playing on the team-hurt ya. Injuries hurt ya...... Giving up - hurt ya.
Ashland always plays Russell tough, but you have to play everybody tough, and play every play.

Giving up?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13