Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell Red Devils 2008
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
I've been watching this debate on who is the best. I guess it would not be like me if I did not throw my two cents in. I personally think that Gross was the best all round player to ever play at Russell. What do I base that on? Gross had the ability to break it for a TD every time he handled the ball. He utilized his blocks like no other back I have seen. Kasey Clark also did but not to the extent of Gross. Gross could stop and start and change direction. He may not have been the fastest but when you can cut back and leave a guy standing you don't have to have that great speed like Ray Clark. In the 2004 game I do remember him out running David Jones from Belfry to the corner of the end zone. I don't want to start a debate on Jones and Gross because Jones was indeed faster but on that one play he did outrun him to the corner for a TD. The funny thing is he was probable a better defensive player that he was on offense. The best thing is he was a better student than a football player. He basically did it all. I think that if the Russell running backs pulled out a highlight dvd of Gross and watched how he; looked over the field. He would wait for his blocks and then cut and accelerate. You rarely saw anyone get a good clean hit on him.

Russell currently has a player on the roster that has the abilities and toughness to be one of the great Russell players. I'm not going to name his name because I think he knows who he is and if he does the right things to improve himself over the winter he will be a team leader. Performance on the field is not everything. It's also earning the respect of your peers and doing the right things in life. Talking to other players and encouraging them to improve during the off season. I have a feeling that he just might have jaw dropping stats if he puts his mind to it. Work hard Devils. Each and every one of you make us all proud to say; We are from Russell.
FBALL Wrote:Gross had better cutting ability and could stop and start faster than anybody I have seen. Ray Clark did have more speed. If he got into the open field you could forget about it.

I think Korzep will be a good back. Kind of reminds me of a minature John Riggins.
Jeepman Wrote:I think Korzep will be a good back. Kind of reminds me of a minature John Riggins.
He had a pretty good freshman year. He has alot of potential.
Korzep is a bull and if he comntinues to grow and end up like his Dad. he will be a beast. And dont forget Bronson Korzep the 5th grader, he ran as the running back on the 6th grade team this year and probably was one of the best backs on the team. it will be great to watch these kids coming up and seing what they can do. I say that Joel could see some strong playing time next year as a sophomore. maybe not at running back behind that dominant backfield but as a defensive player. possibly DE??? I dont know.
I have heard rumors that the talks of field turf have come back up again. I sure hope so. Put down field turf and build a new multipurpose field house and Henry R. Evans stadium is as nice a place to play as you will find in the state.
Yes I did hear that since the price of turf has gone down a great deal that it is a possibility that needs to be addressed. I have heard that the number of companies who put it in have grown over the last 3 years and the price can be as low as $450,000. Les than half as before...
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Yes I did hear that since the price of turf has gone down a great deal that it is a possibility that needs to be addressed. I have heard that the number of companies who put it in have grown over the last 3 years and the price can be as low as $450,000. Les than half as before...
We need a sponsor to get the ball rolling on this. Some of us aren't fortunate to have Massie Coal in our backyard. Don't think Marathon Cares if anyone leaves our community. But shooot If Raceland and Russell merge into one school HMMMM......Makes ya sick huh FBALL???
More than anything, I wish the tracks wasn't there, so that people could be more into the game, it seems like you are too far away at Henry R. Evans. The visitors got it better than the home side. Soccer needs a better field, and there's nowhere for a track, but there's a nice plot of land on the other side of the gymnasium, which would be awesome for a new football stadium. Give soccer the old football field, also the band could practice there, instead of in the parking lot. Build a new stadium and field house over there. I can't believe they have to have a multi purpose field house, who uses the field house other than the boys football team?? Basketball, Volleyball, baseball and softball all have their own facilities. I could see the weight room being shared.
I forget which one of you Russell fans asked me before, so I'll just mention in the open forum here where you should see.

Ashland will be getting field turf in the near future. From the understanding I received, due to Title IX regulations we had to build a girl's softball field before we could do any upgrades on the football facility. The Softball field is nearing completion in the old parking lot area.
Field turf would be nice but with the cost this won't happen at Russell for a long time if it ever happens. Has anyone thought of sodding the current field. This cost is much cheaper and would put a good playing surface on the current field. You might be suprised at the cost. Coach Smith has been checking on sodding the field he says it can be done for less then 30,000. He already has a bid for that price. This includes having the sprinkler system repaired. I have heard him say he had a 1000.00 for the job. Is anyone else willing to kick in?
I tell you this, I am willing to kick in 100.00 toward a TURF field. We have Alumni from when 1903??????. It would be coll if ALL Alumni would pitch in the turf the field. Some can give more, some give ALOT more. But all money would be donated. SHOOT I am willing to starta bucket brigade to get it done .. I'll even start stripping to raise money. I could just go to a business and start stripping and have them pay ne to keep my clothes ON !!!!
Now that funny right there, I dont care who you are thats FUNNY....
I just got a call to not post about stripping...seems I just raised 5 dollars and I never even got my blet off. Now that progress people... real progress!!!. Only 95 dollars to go and I will have my donation complete.
If the Football Boosters do this. They are tax exempt and you can count it off on your taxes.
EkyLb Wrote:More than anything, I wish the tracks wasn't there, so that people could be more into the game, it seems like you are too far away at Henry R. Evans. The visitors got it better than the home side. Soccer needs a better field, and there's nowhere for a track, but there's a nice plot of land on the other side of the gymnasium, which would be awesome for a new football stadium. Give soccer the old football field, also the band could practice there, instead of in the parking lot. Build a new stadium and field house over there. I can't believe they have to have a multi purpose field house, who uses the field house other than the boys football team?? Basketball, Volleyball, baseball and softball all have their own facilities. I could see the weight room being shared.

I brought up the multipurpose field house on my own. Put one where the old one is now and the baseball complex could make use of it as well. Weight room and training facility for all athletes, indoor batting cages, public restrooms that both fields could share.

If field turf was installed you could practice on it as well and there would be plenty of room for a much larger field house. This would also save wear and tear on the baseball field. Initial cost would be big but over the long haul I believe it would save money.
jgrubby Wrote:We need a sponsor to get the ball rolling on this. Some of us aren't fortunate to have Massie Coal in our backyard. Don't think Marathon Cares if anyone leaves our community. But shooot If Raceland and Russell merge into one school HMMMM......Makes ya sick huh FBALL???
If that ever happens I'm moving.
I don't see the field getting redone, a few years back they went and had it redone to be Bermuda, but they didn't put any time into taking care of it so it was just a big waste, more than anything, they need to level out the field before they do anything with the grass. No matter what happens it has to be leveled. Also when it comes to raising money, don't some of the donations have to goto the other schools in the county. I believe when Shaun Alexander wanted to redo Boone' Co.'s field, he had to give money to all the schools in Boone Co.
EkyLb Wrote:I don't see the field getting redone, a few years back they went and had it redone to be Bermuda, but they didn't put any time into taking care of it so it was just a big waste, more than anything, they need to level out the field before they do anything with the grass. No matter what happens it has to be leveled. Also when it comes to raising money, don't some of the donations have to goto the other schools in the county. I believe when Shaun Alexander wanted to redo Boone' Co.'s field, he had to give money to all the schools in Boone Co.

Difference is Russell is an independent school district. So no other schools would be involved.

They have redone the field a few times. Sod might help but not in the long term. Its hard to grow grass on clay and sandstone. The crown on the field is high because that ground doesn't drain well. Field turf would be the best and most cost effecient solution over time. No more mowing, fertilizeing, resewing, watering, etc....
DAG !!!!!!
I agree with FBALL.
And that is saying something.
You can donate to the Football boosters with the stipulations of the money is to put a turf field down and then all the money goes toward the field. If the school spends money on the field then " I think they are obligated to spend the same amount on other programs inthe school, so a PRIVATE DONATION to the boosters or the Alumni Association would be okay."
If you upgrade the fieldhouse for use of all athletics and tie it in with the baseball complex it would serve more functions and save more money overtime. Also would provide new public restrooms and concessions area serving both the baseball and football fields. May even be able to apply for some grants from the state.
FBALL Wrote:If you upgrade the fieldhouse for use of all athletics and tie it in with the baseball complex it would serve more functions and save more money overtime. Also would provide new public restrooms and concessions area serving both the baseball and football fields. May even be able to apply for some grants from the state.

I agree 100 % with you on this and read your e-mail i sent you lol
Even if you put Grassyturf down, your gonna have to fix the crown and the drainage problem. Go in and put proper drainage under the field and run it off to the backside of the visitors bleachers, there's nothing over there, so it should cause no problem. No matter what the crown and drainage have to be fixed, that alone would improve the lack of grass problem. With the dry summer we had, the field was pretty much dirt from the get go this yr. This has been a major problem for years, you would think by now they would have fixed it. Since Football is the money maker and show case for the school, they would try to improve the grounds a little bit. Lets not act like Russell is some poor po-dunk county school.
EkyLb Wrote:Even if you put Grassyturf down, your gonna have to fix the crown and the drainage problem. Go in and put proper drainage under the field and run it off to the backside of the visitors bleachers, there's nothing over there, so it should cause no problem. No matter what the crown and drainage have to be fixed, that alone would improve the lack of grass problem. With the dry summer we had, the field was pretty much dirt from the get go this yr. This has been a major problem for years, you would think by now they would have fixed it. Since Football is the money maker and show case for the school, they would try to improve the grounds a little bit. Lets not act like Russell is some poor po-dunk county school.
Just be glad we don't have a track on the field in the endzones!!!
EkyLb Wrote:Even if you put Grassyturf down, your gonna have to fix the crown and the drainage problem. Go in and put proper drainage under the field and run it off to the backside of the visitors bleachers, there's nothing over there, so it should cause no problem. No matter what the crown and drainage have to be fixed, that alone would improve the lack of grass problem. With the dry summer we had, the field was pretty much dirt from the get go this yr. This has been a major problem for years, you would think by now they would have fixed it. Since Football is the money maker and show case for the school, they would try to improve the grounds a little bit. Lets not act like Russell is some poor po-dunk county school.

The high crown is part of the solution for the drainage problem. Field turf goes in and the both go away. Its that simple.
jgrubby Wrote:Just be glad we don't have a track on the field in the endzones!!!
Smile
Natural turf is far superior if maintained properly. Russell only has 1 guy who's main job is maintenance that takes care of that field ,and it's probably all he can do to keep it mowed and painted. If we have natural turf done properly like that at Boyd Co, Ashland or Mason Co it will take a crew from the school to add additional duties to their jobs or get someone to dedicate themselves to taking care of the field like Doug Childers(South Ashland Greenhouse)of Ashland did with Putnam for so many years before he passed away.

I don't like Field Turf because I like the effect weather has on a natural surface. Field Turf IMO takes away a whole historical dynamic of the game itself. When a passing team with lots of speed comes into a game against a grind it out team natural turf has a way of leveling the playing field and you in turn see some titanic struggles when you have bad weather.

Field turf would look incredible with maroon and gold colored end zones but part of the game is lost forever.
EkyLb Wrote:Its not downgrading Russell players when you say Fleming, Mercer, Newport, Estill, Powell, East, West, Morgan, Lewis are not very good teams. If you think those are very good teams, then you need to get out more and watch some more football elsewhere other than in Eastern Ky, where football is weak, with the exception on a handful or programs. Look what happened to Lone Oak's QB in the state game. All time TD holder, punted for more yards than he threw today, lack of competition can make you look a lot better than you are. However, I dont think this about either 24 or 25, I think they would have been standouts anywhere, I just can't list them at the very top because of it. Its my opinion, to voice it, so get over it. What are you a family member of one of them or something?

Get over it? Get over YOURSELF buddy!! If you're such a great coach yourself, why aren't you coaching somewhere instead of telling everyone what everyone else is doing wrong. You can think whatever you want because nobody has to prove anything to you. Like I said before, many people who have forgotten more football than you'll ever know thinks the #24 and #25 are pretty darn good. So I'll take their credibility to your "opinion". I've never said that Russell's district wasn't weak but they did play 7 other teams in 2005 that were good and #24 did great against all of them. And for your info, I do see plenty of different teams each year. I see 2 different teams each week during the season and playoffs. How can you argue with the success of Russell? You say, if Russell would have done this or if Russell would have done that they would have won. You don't know that. I think Russell's done a pretty good job of winning with "old school" methods of the years and recently as well. I'm not saying they are perfect because they are not and sometimes I think I would have done things differently but I'm not going to be an armchair QB to a coach the likes of McGlone. Just because a player does not play against the best competition every single week does not mean that he's not a great player. The 2005 team played 7 very good teams from all across the state and they beat everyone of them and not to mention the great team #24 played against in 2006 and he did very well against every single one of them. I'm done talking to you about this. Neither one of these backs has to prove anything to anyone. OH, if Eastern KY football is so weak, I guess that would make you a weak EkyLB. Right?
DevilsWin Wrote:Natural turf is far superior if maintained properly. Russell only has 1 guy who's main job is maintenance that takes care of that field ,and it's probably all he can do to keep it mowed and painted. If we have natural turf done properly like that at Boyd Co, Ashland or Mason Co it will take a crew from the school to add additional duties to their jobs or get someone to dedicate themselves to taking care of the field like Doug Childers(South Ashland Greenhouse)of Ashland did with Putnam for so many years before he passed away.

I don't like Field Turf because I like the effect weather has on a natural surface. Field Turf IMO takes away a whole historical dynamic of the game itself. When a passing team with lots of speed comes into a game against a grind it out team natural turf has a way of leveling the playing field and you in turn see some titanic struggles when you have bad weather.

Field turf would look incredible with maroon and gold colored end zones but part of the game is lost forever.
Or give someone a job?
DevilsWin Wrote:Natural turf is far superior if maintained properly. Russell only has 1 guy who's main job is maintenance that takes care of that field ,and it's probably all he can do to keep it mowed and painted. .

Nope thats not true. Evey one of the Maintenance's guys work on that field and paint it before the games. or I should say thats how it use to be when I worked for the Maintenance department. last year.
UKCAT5FAN Wrote:Get over it? Get over YOURSELF buddy!! If you're such a great coach yourself, why aren't you coaching somewhere instead of telling everyone what everyone else is doing wrong. You can think whatever you want because nobody has to prove anything to you. Like I said before, many people who have forgotten more football than you'll ever know thinks the #24 and #25 are pretty darn good. So I'll take their credibility to your "opinion". I've never said that Russell's district wasn't weak but they did play 7 other teams in 2005 that were good and #24 did great against all of them. And for your info, I do see plenty of different teams each year. I see 2 different teams each week during the season and playoffs. How can you argue with the success of Russell? You say, if Russell would have done this or if Russell would have done that they would have won. You don't know that. I think Russell's done a pretty good job of winning with "old school" methods of the years and recently as well. I'm not saying they are perfect because they are not and sometimes I think I would have done things differently but I'm not going to be an armchair QB to a coach the likes of McGlone. Just because a player does not play against the best competition every single week does not mean that he's not a great player. The 2005 team played 7 very good teams from all across the state and they beat everyone of them and not to mention the great team #24 played against in 2006 and he did very well against every single one of them. I'm done talking to you about this. Neither one of these backs has to prove anything to anyone. OH, if Eastern KY football is so weak, I guess that would make you a weak EkyLB. Right?

One day I may coach when I get finished with college, that's a good possibility. Once again your making it sound like I'm saying they were terrible, just hard for me to say they were the best, so give it up, they did not play 7 VERY GOOD TEAMS. come on now, please name said schools. Kasey played against better competition, but Gross did not play against good competition, except for the Breathitt team his sophomore year. he was very talented, its a shame he played such poor teams, it would have been awesome to see what he could have done against good teams. So quit taking such offense, because someone doesn't think these 2 were the best backs ever. If they were so great I'm sure they would have went to a major college to play, that did not happen. john Groves is the only one who's gone to a SEC school, so that probably makes him the best ever. Oh yeah, no one's forgot more about football than I know, except you, cause obviously you don't know anything, but still think you do.
Obviously you have some dog in the fight, I don't, I don't know any of these kids, I didn't play on any of their teams, I'm just voicing my opinion. Also if anyone thinks that either of these kids could start and stop faster than Ray Clark, than your crazy, the kid who broke Randy Moss's record at the Marshall camp for the 40 and shuttle run. LOL you all crack me up sometimes with blind homerism, sometimes I wonder if some of you all have watched much Russell football past 5 or 6yrs ago.

btw Once again Mcglone is a great person, but a monkey could coach Russell to 7 wins a season, they out class their opponents in ability and athleticism on just about every level. WITH ZERO WEIGHT TRAINING, ZERO CONDITIONING, and RUNNING BASIC O and D. thats not great coaching, I'm sorry, thats great talent. If anyone thinks it takes some great coach to teach the wing t and 5-2 D, then you need to expand your horizons of the football world. Don't say well it works, it works as long as your kids are twice as good as the other team, but when you face a team with equal or even close talent, Russell usually goes down. Russell runs 7 plays, I mean wow, what awesome coaching. Lets see Ill tell you the first 10 plays against Greenup for next yr's first game

26,26,23,26,27,sprint right,26,23 reverse,26
EkyLb Wrote:One day I may coach when I get finished with college, that's a good possibility. Once again your making it sound like I'm saying they were terrible, just hard for me to say they were the best, so give it up, they did not play 7 VERY GOOD TEAMS. come on now, please name said schools. Kasey played against better competition, but Gross did not play against good competition, except for the Breathitt team his sophomore year. he was very talented, its a shame he played such poor teams, it would have been awesome to see what he could have done against good teams. So quit taking such offense, because someone doesn't think these 2 were the best backs ever. If they were so great I'm sure they would have went to a major college to play, that did not happen. john Groves is the only one who's gone to a SEC school, so that probably makes him the best ever. Oh yeah, no one's forgot more about football than I know, except you, cause obviously you don't know anything, but still think you do.

TJ Maynard- University of Kentucky(not a back but Still SEC)
Nate McPeek- Marshall University(not SEC but a Good D1 team when he was there)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13