Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell Red Devils 2008
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
EkyLb Wrote:Obviously you have some dog in the fight, I don't, I don't know any of these kids, I didn't play on any of their teams, I'm just voicing my opinion. Also if anyone thinks that either of these kids could start and stop faster than Ray Clark, than your crazy, the kid who broke Randy Moss's record at the Marshall camp for the 40 and shuttle run. LOL you all crack me up sometimes with blind homerism, sometimes I wonder if some of you all have watched much Russell football past 5 or 6yrs ago.

btw Once again Mcglone is a great person, but a monkey could coach Russell to 7 wins a season, they out class their opponents in ability and athleticism on just about every level. WITH ZERO WEIGHT TRAINING, ZERO CONDITIONING, and RUNNING BASIC O and D. thats not great coaching, I'm sorry, thats great talent. If anyone thinks it takes some great coach to teach the wing t and 5-2 D, then you need to expand your horizons of the football world. Don't say well it works, it works as long as your kids are twice as good as the other team, but when you face a team with equal or even close talent, Russell usually goes down. Russell runs 7 plays, I mean wow, what awesome coaching. Lets see Ill tell you the first 10 plays against Greenup for next yr's first game

26,26,23,26,27,sprint right,26,23 reverse,26

A lot of lean years in there before 2002.
red_devils_rule Wrote:Nope thats not true. Evey one of the Maintenance's guys work on that field and paint it before the games. or I should say thats how it use to be when I worked for the Maintenance department. last year.
Well if that's the best a Crew of Guys can do, I suggest Russell gets a new crew. But our Stadium is 1st class the field on the other hand is a disgrace.
EkyLb Wrote:Obviously you have some dog in the fight, I don't, I don't know any of these kids, I didn't play on any of their teams, I'm just voicing my opinion. Also if anyone thinks that either of these kids could start and stop faster than Ray Clark, than your crazy, the kid who broke Randy Moss's record at the Marshall camp for the 40 and shuttle run. LOL you all crack me up sometimes with blind homerism, sometimes I wonder if some of you all have watched much Russell football past 5 or 6yrs ago.

btw Once again Mcglone is a great person, but a monkey could coach Russell to 7 wins a season, they out class their opponents in ability and athleticism on just about every level. WITH ZERO WEIGHT TRAINING, ZERO CONDITIONING, and RUNNING BASIC O and D. thats not great coaching, I'm sorry, thats great talent. If anyone thinks it takes some great coach to teach the wing t and 5-2 D, then you need to expand your horizons of the football world. Don't say well it works, it works as long as your kids are twice as good as the other team, but when you face a team with equal or even close talent, Russell usually goes down. Russell runs 7 plays, I mean wow, what awesome coaching. Lets see Ill tell you the first 10 plays against Greenup for next yr's first game

26,26,23,26,27,sprint right,26,23 reverse,26

It appears that you think a multiple attack offense correlates to good coaching. It is sad how wrong you are. Now you can argue that the limitations of the wing-T are its downfall, and you would be correct to a point. However, there is more to being successful as a football team and a coach than having a multiple attack. It's called "execution". Russell is extremely effective in it's "old school, monkey taught" offense because of their GREAT EXECUTION of it. Yes, keeping what you are going to do a secret from the defense is a good thing, but I think it is also a GREAT testament to the ability of a football team to say, "I'm going to run this exact play at you, so see if you can stop it", and they can't! More times than not (by a long shot), when McGlone's wing-T offense is not effective, it is due to players not executing blocks correctly or to being simply outmatched physically. If you are not blocking the right people or or overmatched physically, then it really doesn't matter what offense you are running. Just curious, what would your opinions of the coaching staff be if next year, they implemented the Tony Franklin system and won a state championship? Would they now be "geniuses?" What if they did change to a completely new offensive system and were not effective with it, only winning an average of 3 games per season for the next 10 years?

Stating that Coach McGlone is not a good coach because of the offense he runs is the most absurd thing you can say. Russell is usually blessed with some good athletes, but give us a break. There are not great athletes coming out of the woodwork year in and year out. Do you seriously think that Russell had more good athletes this year than Ashland or Mason County, to name a few teams? To think so is asinine. I have watched Russell football for many years now,and I have seen them actually beat the majority of teams they have played with equal or moderately better talent. The games they lose are usually from facing teams with MUCH BETTER TALENT. There aren't too many times a team with much lesser talent wins.

I think you are actually proving the opposite point. I think Coach McGlone and the rest of the staff should get extra big props for being as effective year in and year out WITHOUT running a multiple attack offense. I think that tells us the true quality of their coaching ability.

If the offense a coach runs dictates how "good" of a coach they are, then I guess Bob Lutz, Phillip Haywood, to name a few, are HORRIBLE coaches.

Oh yeah, my two cents worth on the whole running back thing here. I didn't have the privilege of seeing the great running backs from the 1970's and before, but I've seen most of the rest. And yes, Ray Clark was very fast and talented, and a great running back, but 40 yard shuffle times and such don't always correlate to making you the "best" at your position. Josh Gross, in my opinion, is by far the best, pure, running back I've seen at Russell. Let's see, he rushed for a school record 289 yards and 5 TD's in the pouring rain against a pretty good Fleming County team. He then followed that up by rushing for 208 yards against an EXTREMELY good Belfry State Championship team. Those don't prove my point, but the are some fodder against saying he never played well against good teams. There are many more, but I'll keep it short.
J. Gross, K. Clark, J Frasure, R. Brown, T. Hamond, J. Groves, R. Clark we're all great running backs. You can pick each one out and their styles were all completely different. But you can't say one was better than the other. Just be glad you got to either play with them or watch them play. Because they we're all gifted.

No one was any better than the other in a game situation. 40 times are just a way to guage speed. Which doesn't do them any good without blocking.

BTW did Ray Clark play College anywhere?
Sponge Bob Wrote:It appears that you think a multiple attack offense correlates to good coaching. It is sad how wrong you are. Now you can argue that the limitations of the wing-T are its downfall, and you would be correct to a point. However, there is more to being successful as a football team and a coach than having a multiple attack. It's called "execution". Russell is extremely effective in it's "old school, monkey taught" offense because of their GREAT EXECUTION of it. Yes, keeping what you are going to do a secret from the defense is a good thing, but I think it is also a GREAT testament to the ability of a football team to say, "I'm going to run this exact play at you, so see if you can stop it", and they can't! More times than not (by a long shot), when McGlone's wing-T offense is not effective, it is due to players not executing blocks correctly or to being simply outmatched physically. If you are not blocking the right people or or overmatched physically, then it really doesn't matter what offense you are running. Just curious, what would your opinions of the coaching staff be if next year, they implemented the Tony Franklin system and won a state championship? Would they now be "geniuses?" What if they did change to a completely new offensive system and were not effective with it, only winning an average of 3 games per season for the next 10 years?

Stating that Coach McGlone is not a good coach because of the offense he runs is the most absurd thing you can say. Russell is usually blessed with some good athletes, but give us a break. There are not great athletes coming out of the woodwork year in and year out. Do you seriously think that Russell had more good athletes this year than Ashland or Mason County, to name a few teams? To think so is asinine. I have watched Russell football for many years now,and I have seen them actually beat the majority of teams they have played with equal or moderately better talent. The games they lose are usually from facing teams with MUCH BETTER TALENT. There aren't too many times a team with much lesser talent wins.

I think you are actually proving the opposite point. I think Coach McGlone and the rest of the staff should get extra big props for being as effective year in and year out WITHOUT running a multiple attack offense. I think that tells us the true quality of their coaching ability.

If the offense a coach runs dictates how "good" of a coach they are, then I guess Bob Lutz, Phillip Haywood, to name a few, are HORRIBLE coaches.

Oh yeah, my two cents worth on the whole running back thing here. I didn't have the privilege of seeing the great running backs from the 1970's and before, but I've seen most of the rest. And yes, Ray Clark was very fast and talented, and a great running back, but 40 yard shuffle times and such don't always correlate to making you the "best" at your position. Josh Gross, in my opinion, is by far the best, pure, running back I've seen at Russell. Let's see, he rushed for a school record 289 yards and 5 TD's in the pouring rain against a pretty good Fleming County team. He then followed that up by rushing for 208 yards against an EXTREMELY good Belfry State Championship team. Those don't prove my point, but the are some fodder against saying he never played well against good teams. There are many more, but I'll keep it short.
Amen !!!

Very nicely done.
EkyLb Wrote:Even if you put Grassyturf down, your gonna have to fix the crown and the drainage problem. Go in and put proper drainage under the field and run it off to the backside of the visitors bleachers, there's nothing over there, so it should cause no problem. No matter what the crown and drainage have to be fixed, that alone would improve the lack of grass problem. With the dry summer we had, the field was pretty much dirt from the get go this yr. This has been a major problem for years, you would think by now they would have fixed it. Since Football is the money maker and show case for the school, they would try to improve the grounds a little bit. Lets not act like Russell is some poor po-dunk county school.

hey now lol we're just a poor po-dunk county school here at Belfry!!
mrfootball03 Wrote:hey now lol we're just a poor po-dunk county school here at Belfry!!

Hey, just wondering what the feelings in Belfry were about your coach down there. I checked on KHSAA and it looks like you all are pretty one dimensional (tongue in cheek). You only passed for 564 yards. "Air" Russell almost doubled you and passed for 997! Maybe if you all would have a more "multiple attack" and updated offense, you would win a few state championships! (major tongue in cheek)

Big Grin
Sponge Bob Wrote:Russell is usually blessed with some good athletes, but give us a break. There are not great athletes coming out of the woodwork year in and year out. Do you seriously think that Russell had more good athletes this year than Ashland or Mason County, to name a few teams? To think so is asinine. I have watched Russell football for many years now,and I have seen them actually beat the majority of teams they have played with equal or moderately better talent. The games they lose are usually from facing teams with MUCH BETTER TALENT. There aren't too many times a team with much lesser talent wins.

I completely agree....very well said!
More passing yards coming next year...........
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:More passing yards coming next year...........

I'm buying my "Air Raid" T-Shirt now! Think Norman's will have them yet?

Cool
Sponge Bob Wrote:Hey, just wondering what the feelings in Belfry were about your coach down there. I checked on KHSAA and it looks like you all are pretty one dimensional (tongue in cheek). You only passed for 564 yards. "Air" Russell almost doubled you and passed for 997! Maybe if you all would have a more "multiple attack" and updated offense, you would win a few state championships! (major tongue in cheek)

Big Grin

sorry, i don't understand what your saying.. give me a break, i'm just a poor po dunk kinda guy
mrfootball03 Wrote:sorry, i don't understand what your saying.. give me a break, i'm just a poor po dunk kinda guy

Sorry, another poster was saying that Coach McGlone at Russell was not a good coach because of the one dimensional, simple wing-T offense he runs and I was just wondering if the Belfry guys felt the same way about Coach Haywood. I was just stating that it appears that Belfry is more "one dimensional" than Russell because of the number of passing yards you had this year. My point was that Belfry passed for even less yards than Russell did and they are pretty good too.
Russell Air Raid 2008
Tradition-Hard Work-Ground and Pound!
Sponge Bob Wrote:Sorry, another poster was saying that Coach McGlone at Russell was not a good coach because of the one dimensional, simple wing-T offense he runs and I was just wondering if the Belfry guys felt the same way about Coach Haywood. I was just stating that it appears that Belfry is more "one dimensional" than Russell because of the number of passing yards you had this year. My point was that Belfry passed for even less yards than Russell did and they are pretty good too.

i thought so.. lol
ahhh.. we've won two titles a couple years ago being one dimensional, worked then.. might as well stick with the tried & true
mrfootball03 Wrote:i thought so.. lol
ahhh.. we've won two titles a couple years ago being one dimensional, worked then.. might as well stick with the tried & true
Then why not this year??
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Russell Air Raid 2008
Sorry, I have to be a "Doubting Thomas" until that happens!!
Russell has had very good talent. By that I mean that haven't had a team full of division one college players every year but they have enough athletic kids to fill every position. The depth and number of athletes that play football for Russell has been a big factor in the success of the football program.

Excellent coaching + good talent = tradition.
jgrubby Wrote:Then why not this year??

Just can't win em' all ole buddy.. Sometimes the ball will bounce your way, sometimes it don't.. just gotta play the hand your delt, and lay the cards on the tables and hope its enough... this year we came up short.. we'll start all over and try em' again next year
mrfootball03 Wrote:Just can't win em' all ole buddy.. Sometimes the ball will bounce your way, sometimes it don't.. just gotta play the hand your delt, and lay the cards on the tables and hope its enough... this year we came up short.. we'll start all over and try em' again next year
Very true. Thats just the way it goes and thats all you can do.

A few different bounces and Belfry may have had its 3rd championship. A few different bounces last year and Russell may have had their 3rd and a repeat.
mrfootball03 Wrote:Just can't win em' all ole buddy.. Sometimes the ball will bounce your way, sometimes it don't.. just gotta play the hand your delt, and lay the cards on the tables and hope its enough... this year we came up short.. we'll start all over and try em' again next year
Then its not tried and true then.
jgrubby Wrote:Then its not tried and true then.

yeah it really is.. had we not turned the ball over 4 or 5 times, it would have been a different outcome.. besides, it wasn't the offense that killed us, it was our overall execution & team speed.. had we been a little quicker, like the 03-04 teams we'd been champions this year. Being one dimensional works, you just have do everything like your supposed to.. you have to have your line getting a good push & making blocks, and your backs hitting the right gaps, and your qb deciding on the right option for the moment.. theres just too many factors to say that "being one dimensional is why we lost"... Its a game, you have have to rely some on chances & breaks..
jgrubby Wrote:Then its not tried and true then.
Quit stirring the pot. Trouble maker.
We Dont Like Pot Stirrers Do We Fball !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh By The Way.
I am looking at a foot and a half of snow in Wisconsin right now, 12 degrees.. and yes i have my shorts on..
EkyLb Wrote:One day I may coach when I get finished with college, that's a good possibility. Once again your making it sound like I'm saying they were terrible, just hard for me to say they were the best, so give it up, they did not play 7 VERY GOOD TEAMS. come on now, please name said schools. Kasey played against better competition, but Gross did not play against good competition, except for the Breathitt team his sophomore year. he was very talented, its a shame he played such poor teams, it would have been awesome to see what he could have done against good teams. So quit taking such offense, because someone doesn't think these 2 were the best backs ever. If they were so great I'm sure they would have went to a major college to play, that did not happen. john Groves is the only one who's gone to a SEC school, so that probably makes him the best ever. Oh yeah, no one's forgot more about football than I know, except you, cause obviously you don't know anything, but still think you do.

You have the biggest ego that I've ever seen on here. You're not even out of college yet and you're telling people who have been around the sport for 20 and 30 yrs that you know so much more than they do. Grow up KID!!!! ANd you're right, you don't know these kids!! You didn't see them play week in and week out. Just because they didn't end up at an SEC school doesn't mean that they weren't one of the best ever at Russell. I'm not saying THE best but 2 of the best, most definately. Kids form this area get shafted all the time when it comes to scholarships but that's a whole different argument. Just because Micheal West didn't go to Auburn doesn't mean he wasn't a great player. Kasey is at Murray State now but he had the opportunity to go to a 2 Big Team and an SEC team. He CHOOSE to go to Murray State which is still D-1. Get over yourself kid, put your ego in check, and GROW UP!!!!! You're not the next Gruden!!!
C------------------a------------------t---------------------s-------------------
Cats------------------cats-----------------cats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Russell Air Raid 2008

I'm all over it. I've now got the new design right here! Be the first to get it right here:

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
Sponge Bob Wrote:I'm all over it. I've now got the new design right here! Be the first to get it right here:

Believe it or not, that was Belfry's theme through the late ninties... AIR RAID LOL yep its true we actually threw it alot then.. haha
Absolutely hilarious !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponge Bob Wrote:I'm all over it. I've now got the new design right here! Be the first to get it right here:
Thats awsome.Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13