Poll: Who Wins
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Pikeville
51.35%
Corbin
48.65%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Pikeville vs Corbin 2024
(08-08-2024, 11:19 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(08-08-2024, 10:52 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote:
(08-08-2024, 10:45 PM)Belichick Wrote: Hearing Corbin staff were at Pikeville’s first preseason scrimmage. Can’t blame a first year coach not wanting to lose to a 1A school in his first game but that’s a decent trip to make. Kudos to them if true.
Wow! that's a long haul. Im in Tn. now and Corbin is much closer in mileage from where I'm at than to Pikeville.  Looking like he doesn't mind homework. Lol!

I like seeing the coach putting in the extra work. You wouldn't have seen that with the previous coach. Sometimes I even questioned whether they ever watched game film.
I think it’s awesome and shows bigtime commitment. If teams are a reflection of the coach, that may bode well for Corbin.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Belichick's post:
  • Big Five-0-
(08-08-2024, 11:19 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(08-08-2024, 10:52 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote:
(08-08-2024, 10:45 PM)Belichick Wrote: Hearing Corbin staff were at Pikeville’s first preseason scrimmage. Can’t blame a first year coach not wanting to lose to a 1A school in his first game but that’s a decent trip to make. Kudos to them if true.
Wow! that's a long haul. Im in Tn. now and Corbin is much closer in mileage from where I'm at than to Pikeville.  Looking like he doesn't mind homework. Lol!

I like seeing the coach putting in the extra work. You wouldn't have seen that with the previous coach. Sometimes I even questioned whether they ever watched game film.
Hey, when you think about it, got to give the man credit. Any football fan should appreciate that of their HC.
[-] The following 4 users Like Big Five-0-'s post:
  • Big Boomer, Diogenes, jetpilot, Old School Hound
(08-08-2024, 08:13 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(08-08-2024, 08:04 PM)pjdoug Wrote:
(08-04-2024, 12:15 AM)jetpilot Wrote: It doesn't matter how fast he is against Pikeville because they have 2 or 3 running backs who will leave cleat marks on his helmet.

Sorry, can't sleep and in troll mode...but it's true lol

Nothing better than a good troll.lol

Didn't Hoot call you a troll? How dare him. LOL

He sat on his water cooled seat and still melted down
Corbin has 87 on the roster. 31 freshmen!!! Looks like new coach has spiked optimism in the program. Pikeville vs Corbin a week from Friday is epic and not to be missed.
(08-12-2024, 12:02 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Corbin has 87 on the roster. 31 freshmen!!! Looks like new coach has spiked optimism in the program. Pikeville vs Corbin a week from Friday is epic and not to be missed.

Agree. Can't wait!!!  There's no better place to be in KY than at a Corbin-Pikeville football game.  Two of the best mountain programs, the two best football towns, two schools  that respect the hell out of each other. Nothing better!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • jetpilot
(08-12-2024, 01:01 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(08-12-2024, 12:02 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Corbin has 87 on the roster. 31 freshmen!!! Looks like new coach has spiked optimism in the program. Pikeville vs Corbin a week from Friday is epic and not to be missed.

Agree. Can't wait!!!  There's no better place to be in KY than at a Corbin-Pikeville football game.  Two of the best mountain programs, the two best football towns, two schools  that respect the hell out of each other. Nothing better!!!
Absolutely OSH! and no better football towns in Kentucky and beyond than Pikeville and Corbin.
(08-12-2024, 01:05 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
(08-12-2024, 01:01 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Absolutely OSH! and no better football towns in Kentucky and beyond than Pikeville and Corbin.

I absolutely believe that !!!
[-] The following 2 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • Big Five-0-, jetpilot
If Corbin gets 31 payers out in each class like this freshman class they will absolutely take over 4A football.
Looks like Corbin claimed Malachi Brown off the waiver wire. D1 offer from EKU.
(08-12-2024, 01:16 AM)jetpilot Wrote: If Corbin gets 31 payers out in each class like this freshman class they will absolutely take over 4A football.

I saw a couple of the kids at a restaurant just before the new coach was announced and they were lukewarm about the season. Said they thought the team would be "okay" but didn't seem very enthused.   Saw the same two kids at the same restaurant about two or three weeks later and their mindset was totally different. They said they loved this coach and thought the team had a chance to be "very good." Amazing what a coach and a little positive encouragement can do.
(08-12-2024, 01:16 AM)jetpilot Wrote: If Corbin gets 31 players out in each class like this freshman class they will absolutely take over 4A football.
I watched a Middle school four way scrimmage Saturday at Campbell Field that had Corbin, North Laurel, Hazard and Pineville scrimmaging and Corbin had a very talented and big 8th grade team. they should have a very good year and they aren't avoiding hard games either with a Scrimmage this week with Maryville, TN and then a game against Raceland the next week at Boyle County bowl game. Salmons has talented sons on both the High School and Middle school team and is present with football events all the way down to TCSA.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Boomer's post:
  • Big Five-0-
(08-12-2024, 03:25 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Looks like Corbin claimed Malachi Brown off the waiver wire. D1 offer from EKU.
Lot of people have named a lot of players from corbin last year, and CM transfers, but dang this kid might be the best. To have 3 more years of hs, move the way he does, and have so much strength… He should get a lot more offers come this fall.
(08-12-2024, 10:21 AM)Big Boomer Wrote:
(08-12-2024, 01:16 AM)jetpilot Wrote: If Corbin gets 31 players out in each class like this freshman class they will absolutely take over 4A football.
I watched a Middle school four way scrimmage Saturday at Campbell Field that had Corbin, North Laurel, Hazard and Pineville scrimmaging and Corbin had a very talented and big 8th grade team. they should have a very good year and they aren't avoiding hard games either with a Scrimmage this week with Maryville, TN and then a game against Raceland the next week at Boyle County bowl game. Salmons has talented sons on both the High School and Middle school team and is present with football events all the way down to TCSA.
A primary ingredient to continue building a great football program. Looks like Corbin has landed a real winner!
(08-12-2024, 10:21 AM)Big Boomer Wrote:
I think the younger Salmons kid plays linebacker. Not sure, but I think he does.  Salmons seems to live and breathe football. Kids love him. He will get big numbers coming out to play for him.

(08-12-2024, 03:25 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Looks like Corbin claimed Malachi Brown off the waiver wire. D1 offer from EKU.

6'4" , 235 lbs.  15 y.o.

Thumbnail(s)

Looks like a player. Some dudes on both teams.
Skill positions are lethal for Corbin. The line isn’t up to par right now. I think if Pikeville does the ground and pound they win this game.
Were any Corbin or Madison Central players ejected from the fight in their scrimmage? By laws say if so that they would be suspended week 1.
(08-13-2024, 02:47 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: Were any Corbin or Madison Central players ejected from the fight in their scrimmage? By laws say if so that they would be suspended week 1.
no, I don't think so. I would call it more of a scuffle because both teams ate together after the scrimmage and it looked like a solid meal and fellowship, I was kind of jealous honestly as I walked out. piles and piles of homemade cookies and cupcakes and what appeared to be enough burgers to feed a small army and Coach Salmons out on the field tossing the ball to the two youngest Salmons boys while players and coaches mingled. it was a football scene straight out of a movie. man I love this time of year....
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Boomer's post:
  • Waitaminute
What was the outcome of the Corbin/madcentral scrimmage? I haven’t seen it posted anywhere. Did they keep score?
Since Pikeville will now have came to Corbin 3 years in a row playing Corbin twice and Pulaski, will Corbin return the favor in the future and make the trip to Pikeville for a game?
(08-13-2024, 11:45 AM)Red Deuces Wrote: Skill positions are lethal for Corbin. The line isn’t up to par right now. I think if Pikeville does the ground and pound they win this game.

You talking defensive line? Has big Malachi made an impression yet?

Let's hear some details on the strengths and possible weaknesses.
(08-13-2024, 04:32 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote: Since Pikeville will now have came to Corbin 3 years in a row playing Corbin twice and Pulaski, will Corbin return the favor in the future and make the trip to Pikeville for a game?
I bet so. I am curious if there is some kind of contract that set up certain series of a couple years that Pikeville came to Corbin and then Corbin would return the favor or something like that. it seem like it would have to be something like that.
From what I've observed, Pikeville has struggled to fill their schedule with teams. As for Corbin, they have a lot to lose by getting beaten by a 1A team like Pikeville, so I'm not sure they would agree to a continued yearly schedule where they have to travel to Pikeville. I could be wrong, but Pikeville needs games, and Corbin has a lot at stake. If you can play them at home, I'd do my best to keep it that way.
^^^A top 4A team won't play a 1A team unless it's at home? You gotta love it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Fanatic42
[quote="jetpilot" pid="2460344" dateline="1723585257"]
^^^A top 4A team won't play a 1A team unless it's at home? You gotta love it.
[/

Nowhere in my statement did I mention that a top 4A program won’t travel to play a 1A program. If you were Corbin’s coach and had the option to secure a home game instead of traveling, what would you do?
(08-13-2024, 06:53 PM)Rhino43 Wrote:
(08-13-2024, 06:40 PM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^A top 4A team won't play a 1A team unless it's at home? You gotta love it.
[/

Nowhere in my statement did I mention that a top 4A program won’t travel to play a 1A program. If you were Corbin’s coach and had the option to secure a home game instead of traveling, what would you do?
Please. Teams normally play 5 home and 5 away. Come to Pikeville. Corbin went to Hazard. Not complicated.
(08-13-2024, 07:04 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(08-13-2024, 06:40 PM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^A top 4A team won't play a 1A team unless it's at home? You gotta love it.
[/

Please. Teams normally play 5 home and 5 away. Come to Pikeville. Corbin went to Hazard. Not 

Correct me if I’m wrong, but hasn’t Pikeville only played 7-8 games over the last 2-3 years because they can’t find teams willing to play them? I guess they’re not getting a 5-and-5 split, huh? I also believe Pikeville played Corbin at Corbin the last two games, so why isn’t Corbin traveling to Pikeville this year? My comments were specifically about these two teams, not everyone else in the KHSAA. Your assumption about my response to Micro-Brew was completely off base and wasn’t meant to create drama—just to explain why Pikeville might have had to make those previous three trips to Corbin. Nowhere did I say either of these two powerhouse schools were afraid to travel, as you assumed.
(08-13-2024, 07:34 PM)Rhino43 Wrote:
(08-13-2024, 07:04 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
[/

Please. Teams normally play 5 home and 5 away. Come to Pikeville. Corbin went to Hazard. Not 

Correct me if I’m wrong, but hasn’t Pikeville only played 7-8 games over the last 2-3 years because they can’t find teams willing to play them? I guess they’re not getting a 5-and-5 split, huh? I also believe Pikeville played Corbin at Corbin the last two games, so why isn’t Corbin traveling to Pikeville this year? My comments were specifically about these two teams, not everyone else in the KHSAA. Your assumption about my response to Micro-Brew was completely off base and wasn’t meant to create drama—just to explain why Pikeville might have had to make those previous three trips to Corbin. Nowhere did I say either of these two powerhouse schools were afraid to travel, as you assumed.

Nobody said "afraid" and you ARE creating drama. Does Corbin not play road games? Make one of them Pikeville. Sheesh
It’s like this is Corbin’s bowl game is why there is no home and away contracts just like the Pike County bowl is to Pikeville but it would be a really good thing if these 2 made that commitment some time with 2 great programs going at it every year
[-] The following 1 user Likes Patriot1's post:
  • jetpilot
So this is my main gripe with RPI, you guys even hammered it home. No purpose for a 4A team to take a chance on losing to a 1A team.
I could be wrong but I’m going to assume this is going to be a damn good game. The last time sure as hell was.
This is a game, from a football standpoint, that should happen most years unless Pikeville just gets to where they’re just not competitive with Corbin. This is a great game for both programs, wouldn’t most agree? Helps both teams get better, wouldn’t most agree? Both teams travel well, so both schools benefit financially, wouldn’t most agree? A game between two great schools, two great towns, two powerhouse Eastern Ky programs. I wasn’t throwing shade, I was simply asking because I don’t know. Yeah I know it’s a bowl game but I for one would love to see this game happen every year with a home and home.
I’d also love to see Beechwood become a regular on the Pikeville schedule as a home and home.
[-] The following 2 users Like Micro-Brew's post:
  • Big Five-0-, jetpilot
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next