•  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.86 Average
Pikeville 2024
(06-04-2024, 04:23 PM)Old School 18 Wrote:
(06-04-2024, 12:14 PM)Khalisimo Wrote: was Randy Maynard the QBs name from about 2012? he was a good player

Austin Charles was the QB with Hall and Estep around 2012-14. He was also a dandy.
talking about the QB before him... think he was #15
[-] The following 1 user Likes Khalisimo's post:
  • Old School 18
Yes it was Randy Maynard. Great player and great kid. Went on and had a solid college football career too.
Randy was a stud and could run you over or run by you
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Offensively, I think the Panthers will open up the playbook a little more this year to try and keep Anthony healthy. He's "the guy" on both sides of the ball, so keeping him fresh will be a priority. I look for the passing game to mirror the Isaac McNamee years as opposed to last year. There's plenty of talent at the WR position with Hall, Hager, Muncy, Slone, and Warren. I've also heard the Panthers have developed one of their defensive players into one heck of a weapon on the offensive side. Bottom line: anything the offense can do to keep teams from stacking the box to stop that run game will pay dividends in the playoffs.

Defensively, the question is up front. Will Pikeville have enough depth to keep the DL fresh for 4 quarters? If the answer to that is yes, then I think they have a real good chance to win their 4th straight title. If the answer to that is no, then there could be an unexpected loss here or there that forces the Panthers on the road in the playoffs, and anything can happen then. The LBs should be the strength of that D. Pikeville returns all 4 LBs that started last year's state title game. The group of Anthony, Stanley, Anderson and Justice is ridiculously talented; they can stop the run and defend the pass. And those dudes are physical, they love to hit. As for the secondary, Stevens and Hall return. Stevens may have the highest potential of any player on the team. The kid has D1 talent. Hall might be the fastest player on the team, and everyone knows speed kills in the secondary. If the Panthers can develop Hager, Muncy, Slone and/or Warren into legit defenders, then look out. Personally, the thought of Muncy and Slone at the corners would terrify me offensively. Those dudes are tall and athletic, good luck throwing on them.

I think everyone will have Pikeville picked as the preseason favorite in Class A. If the Panthers can develop some of the young guys, keep a fresh rotation on the DL, and open up the passing game, then those projections might be right. But with those first 6 games, anything can happen. History tells us that McNamee's teams get stronger as the season progresses. If history repeats itself this year, title #9 may be coming home to the mountains in 2024.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Buffs19's post:
  • Micro-Brew
(06-05-2024, 10:22 AM)Buffs19 Wrote: Offensively, I think the Panthers will open up the playbook a little more this year to try and keep Anthony healthy.  He's "the guy" on both sides of the ball, so keeping him fresh will be a priority.  I look for the passing game to mirror the Isaac McNamee years as opposed to last year.  There's plenty of talent at the WR position with Hall, Hager, Muncy, Slone, and Warren.  I've also heard the Panthers have developed one of their defensive players into one heck of a weapon on the offensive side.  Bottom line:  anything the offense can do to keep teams from stacking the box to stop that run game will pay dividends in the playoffs.

Defensively, the question is up front.  Will Pikeville have enough depth to keep the DL fresh for 4 quarters?  If the answer to that is yes, then I think they have a real good chance to win their 4th straight title.  If the answer to that is no, then there could be an unexpected loss here or there that forces the Panthers on the road in the playoffs, and anything can happen then.  The LBs should be the strength of that D.  Pikeville returns all 4 LBs that started last year's state title game.  The group of Anthony, Stanley, Anderson and Justice is ridiculously talented; they can stop the run and defend the pass.  And those dudes are physical, they love to hit.  As for the secondary, Stevens and Hall return.  Stevens may have the highest potential of any player on the team.  The kid has D1 talent.  Hall might be the fastest player on the team, and everyone knows speed kills in the secondary.  If the Panthers can develop Hager, Muncy, Slone and/or Warren into legit defenders, then look out.  Personally, the thought of Muncy and Slone at the corners would terrify me offensively.  Those dudes are tall and athletic, good luck throwing on them. 

I think everyone will have Pikeville picked as the preseason favorite in Class A.  If the Panthers can develop some of the young guys, keep a fresh rotation on the DL, and open up the passing game, then those projections might be right.  But with those first 6 games, anything can happen.  History tells us that McNamee's teams get stronger as the season progresses.  If history repeats itself this year, title #9 may be coming home to the mountains in 2024.
This is the most informed Pikeville post I’ve seen in a while. I think you are spot on. There is a defensive player who will likely see time at WR and RB. Kid is a stud but like Anthony, I look for them to get him some rest headed into playoffs but he’s a problem on both sides.  I can see the staff keeping some of those other skill guys on one side of the ball or the other or they may rotate them to keep them fresh and ready in case of injuries.  They rotated some players at corner last year with Hall being the only one back who played significant time on defense.  Stevens is definitely one safety.  Hall will likely be at one corner or at the other safety.  Make no mistake, replacing Sam Wright at the other safety is important.  He was QB of the defense.  Got everyone organized.  Hager, Slone, Muncy, and Warren will battle for the other safety or corner spots. Gotta be physical to play for Sullivan on his defense.  I really feel like Hall and Hager will get WR nods as the they started last year and the sophomore class will rotate in on offense with Slone being slightly ahead on offense.  I think they will add Warren and Muncy in on defense to keep them motivated with Slone and Hager getting reps there at times too.  Just a guess.  The defense should be very good but the development of the guys who play the defensive back spots may determine how good.  They have one of the best LB groups in the state and all 4 starters back.  In the case of injury there, they have another guy (Isaiah Hurt) who played quite a bit and can fill in well and in a pinch, and they can slide Stevens or Hager to OLB.  They are big enough and strong enough to do it.  Deepest group on the Pikeville defense.  Line on both sides is always the question for Pikeville. If they have the dudes up front, they usually have plenty of skill and the defense will be good.  1A, they will be the best team.  Best team doesn’t always win and like you said with their tough schedule, a few losses and you’re on the road for playoffs and anything can happen.
Going to be another great year for Pikeville!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes 64SUR's post:
  • jetpilot
Some great analysis on here. Pikeville offense is going to be sick. More big play guys than I can remember in a long time. I assume you guys are talking about Stevens being used in the offense. He will be a huge problem for opposing teams. Should make for very exciting games against that awesome schedule they have. Defense will be lights out as well. I don't worry about the lines anymore as Pikeville always reloads there it seems. In that 3-4 defense they have Caudill back as well as Ferguson and Ford who all combined for 14 sacks and 30 TFL. They have others to stick in there as well. As noted the LB group is as good as any anywhere and some great athletes in the secondary. Another great year coming, can't wait!!!
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • Big Five-0-, Colonel4Life1999
Smile

[Image: https://images.ctfassets.net/h6luvadnbip...w=800&q=90]

........................................................................................................................... Woah after the game......
https://images.ctfassets.net/h6luvadnbip0/6zMyZfKmcexFO9fvFcx0mH/8264512514c88eae23321918ae7cdef1/giphy__15_.gif?w=800&q=90
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • jetpilot
(06-06-2024, 10:32 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: Smile

........................................................................................................................... Woah after the game......
https://images.ctfassets.net/h6luvadnbip0/6zMyZfKmcexFO9fvFcx0mH/8264512514c88eae23321918ae7cdef1/giphy__15_.gif?w=800&q=90

Portal is closing you better get busy Bull!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Bull got out!
(06-06-2024, 10:55 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

Jett, they spend all their money on a new coach. No players this year. Its sounding like a shootout in Corbin. Coach has a son that is tuff. See OSH Film Room.  Big Grin   I don't know what to expect this season honestly, its all a unknown. But Im hoping that Kid Elam passes the ball more than he ever has in a single season. Then there might be hope. If not, Im gonna have to shell out....
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • jetpilot
(06-06-2024, 11:03 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:

Jett, they spend all their money on a new coach. No players this year. Its sounding like a shootout in Corbin. Coach has a son that is tuff. See OSH Film Room.  Big Grin   I don't know what to expect this season honestly, its all a unknown. But Im hoping that Kid Elam passes the ball more than he ever has in a single season. Then there might be hope. If not, Im gonna have to shell out....

Corbin will win.  I would bet Hoot Gibson's new $1,800 Steelcase Leap office chair on it.  Btw, Hoot called me the other night(actually we did a Zoom) and he said Johnson Central would dominate 4A and would upset Boyle in the title game. Here's a still shot of our Zoom call. Hoot's enjoying his new chair:

Thumbnail(s)

(06-04-2024, 06:05 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote: Yes it was Randy Maynard. Great player and great kid. Went on and had a solid college football career too.

I got to know Randy pretty well during his college years. One of the nicest, sweetest young men I've ever met. Fine, fine football player.  Smart kid, too. A true student-athlete.
(06-07-2024, 02:07 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Corbin will win.  I would bet Hoot Gibson's new $1,800 Steelcase Leap office chair on it.  Btw, Hoot called me the other night(actually we did a Zoom) and he said Johnson Central would dominate 4A and would upset Boyle in the title game. Here's a still shot of our Zoom call. Hoot's enjoying his new chair:
OSH ol' buddy, you must be low on meds to be attacking Hoot in a Pikeville thread lol. He did contract a scorching case of class snobbery but was anything but a clown. You must be having flashbacks to all the thrashings he gave you in the political threads haha...

Now to the important stuff...you can say Corbin will win all you want but you have no way of knowing how or why that would happen. Pikeville is ridiculously loaded and has a veteran squad. More to come...
Here's Brenden Anthony #35 first game back from injury at Belfry last year. Played half the game, over 200 yars and 3 TDs...main guy Corbin has to stop but one of several...B Caudill #14 running over people while Anthony was out as well...

[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • Bull got out!, PHSForever
(06-07-2024, 07:51 AM)jetpilot Wrote:

OSH ol' buddy, you must be low on meds to be attacking Hoot in a Pikeville thread lol. He did contract a scorching case of class snobbery but was anything but a clown. You must be having flashbacks to all the thrashings he gave you in the political threads haha...

Now to the important stuff...you can say Corbin will win all you want but you have no way of knowing how or why that would happen. Pikeville is ridiculously loaded and has a veteran squad. More to come...

It's apropos  to go after Hoot in a Pikeville thread. He has some weird disrespect for Pikeville. Don't know where it comes from but he would get all passionate about how the Panthers would get crushed against bigger schools. Pikeville seemed to be his whipping boy. Pretty weird considering Pikeville is the one smaller school that has consistently shown it can compete with the big boys. He couldn't fathom how they would stand a chance against his mighty Eagles. Hoot is a smart guy, no doubt. He's just snobbish and likes his conspiracies(and his expensive office chair) a bit too much. LOL
(06-07-2024, 05:38 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(06-07-2024, 07:51 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
(06-06-2024, 10:55 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Portal is closing you better get busy Bull!

It's apropos  to go after Hoot in a Pikeville thread. He has some weird disrespect for Pikeville. Don't know where it comes from but he would get all passionate about how the Panthers would get crushed against bigger schools. Pikeville seemed to be his whipping boy. Pretty weird considering Pikeville is the one smaller school that has consistently shown it can compete with the big boys. He couldn't fathom how they would stand a chance against his mighty Eagles. Hoot is a smart guy, no doubt. He's just snobbish and likes his conspiracies(and his expensive office chair) a bit too much. LOL

Big Grin
^^^Hoot just very badly wanted Johnson Central to be the flagship HS of the mountains, which isn't the case. As for "conspiracies" we know that's code for "different opinion" and Hoot was very much on point 95% of the time...
(06-08-2024, 12:07 AM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^Hoot just very badly wanted Johnson Central to be the flagship HS of the mountains, which isn't the case. As for "conspiracies" we know that's code for "different opinion" and Hoot was very much on point 95% of the time...
Agree on the first sentence. Beg to differ on the second.   Tongue
plus/minus 9.5 combined TDs in the Corbin -Pikeville game on 8/23 ???
(06-09-2024, 08:51 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: plus/minus  9.5 combined TDs in the Corbin -Pikeville game on 8/23  ???

Under.
(06-09-2024, 08:51 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: plus/minus  9.5 combined TDs in the Corbin -Pikeville game on 8/23  ???

Under. 28-21 type game. 21-14 wouldn't surprise me.
(06-09-2024, 09:07 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

You might be right. Seems like a lot of times when two really good teams play, especially with good offensive talent, it ends up being a defensive battle. Corbin and Mayfield were two of the best offensive teams in the state back when they met in '76. It was a 6-0 final.  Conventional wisdom would say these two will light up the scoreboard but games aren't decided by conventional wisdom.

(06-09-2024, 08:54 PM)Waitaminute Wrote:

Under.

What if I lowered it to 8.5 ?
(06-09-2024, 09:15 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(06-09-2024, 09:07 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

You might be right. Seems like a lot of times when two really good teams play, especially with good offensive talent, it ends up being a defensive battle. Corbin and Mayfield were two of the best offensive teams in the state back when they met in '76. It was a 6-0 final.  Conventional wisdom would say these two will light up the scoreboard but games aren't decided by conventional wisdom.

(06-09-2024, 08:54 PM)Waitaminute Wrote:

Under.

What if I lowered it to 8.5 ?

Why conventional wisdom? Both teams play terrific defense. 1st game, new faces, offenses will be somewhat rusty, Corbin lost top RB and top receiver, Pikeville DL and LBs will be harassing QB Elam all night. Don't know what Corbin has on defense but I expect it to be excellent. There will be a few big plays but no way offense dominates defense IMO.
(06-03-2024, 08:36 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: I think Estep got more chances to shine and in turn was more productive. I think Boykins is a better raw athlete though. At RB I think Anthony is more impressive bc of his size and speed combination but Pugh was extremely special. Imo though, Hensley and Birchfield are the best two skill kids to come out of Pikeville this decade.
Got to agree with the Anthony/Pugh comparison and the impressive thing about Anthony is he's now pushing a 325x1 power clean. Not too bad for a class A RB. So, in comparison jmo, he's got a little more bruit strength to go with that speed. Brenden Anthony will be a handful again for opposing teams, but more stud RBS are chomping at the bit behind him.
Be interesting to see if Pikeville remains king of the mountains. Seems to be alot of excitement around their team this year. They have had Belfry’s number the past couple years. JC seems down. Nice seeing these 3 teams playing each other.
It shouldn't surprise anyone but Piieville's schedule is very tough and it's a safe bet they will lose 1-3 games...can't wait too see how they match up with a super talented Ironton team.

Once the playoffs start they are gonna steamroll Class A competition regardless if they are playing at home or on the road and that's not changing after the 2024 season.
(06-06-2024, 10:13 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Some great analysis on here. Pikeville offense is going to be sick. More big play guys than I can remember in a long time. I assume you guys are talking about Stevens being used in the offense. He will be a huge problem for opposing teams. Should make for very exciting games against that awesome schedule they have. Defense will be lights out as well. I don't worry about the lines anymore as Pikeville always reloads there it seems. In that 3-4 defense they have Caudill back as well as Ferguson and Ford who all combined for 14 sacks and 30 TFL. They have others to stick in there as well. As noted the LB group is as good as any anywhere and some great athletes in the secondary. Another great year coming, can't wait!!!
When Stephens touched the ball last season more good things happened. The Boyd Co. game at their place was a great example. With his size and talent, he's exciting to watch while running the ball. Add him into the backfield with B. Anthony and along with others, it will give opposing defenses problems, Maybe more than last season.

with his size and talent joining Anthony and
Saw Maynard’s name mentioned in an earlier thread. That kid gets over looked a lot, atleast from people not involved with Pikeville. That kid was an absolute MONSTER of a leader. Great hard nosed dual threat QB but he was won of the best LEADERS I’ve seen come out of the mountains in the last 20 years.
Pikeville peeps I need an answer to the below question.

Is Pikeville's JV team the third best team in 1A.

It came up in a lunch with some coaches the other day.
[-] The following 1 user Likes plantmanky's post:
  • Fanatic42
(07-02-2024, 08:48 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Pikeville peeps I need an answer to the below question.

Is Pikeville's JV team the third best team in 1A. 

It came up in a lunch with some coaches the other day.
Top 10? Yes. Not top 3.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • plantmanky
  •  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next