•  Previous
  • 15(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Prestonsburg Open
I almost felt sad for Pburg when I read that Sullivan had turned them down.
(02-11-2024, 01:29 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote:
(02-11-2024, 12:44 PM)papabear02 Wrote:
(02-11-2024, 12:33 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: If the hire ends up being someone from Brewers staff that will be hilarious. Fire Brewer to only hire his right hand man. Wasn’t Jordan Ray option 1 and when he quickly turned it down they put all their chips in Sullivan and now he has turned it down? Now Pburg is caught with their pants down it seems
Yea you’re right. I think Sullivan realized the situation was way worse that what people were perceiving. 

you hire Brewers OC, you hire Brewer back because that’s the system he knows and ran 

they need to make a hire because it’s getting deep in the offseason and there’s no structure and it’s going to be chaos the longer they wait.

(02-11-2024, 12:15 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: I don’t know where we go from here! Why would you get rid of Brewer and turn around and hire Newsome? Woods has no shot, and Letton isn’t moving back, especially after being put on the back burner for Sullivan. Worrisome times in the Burg!
I would think he would. Why don’t you think so? He’s been great at Magoffin. From what I’ve witnessed, he knows his stuff.
Too many burnt bridges while he was at Prestonsburg as the Middle school coach. I don’t have an issue with Woods, but a lot of people do.
I think there’s more support for him than what people think.  

he definitely has proven himself here at Magoffin. Not sure the circumstances when he was the MS coach but the people I have talked to in Pburg support him 100%.
Proven what at Magoffin?
(02-11-2024, 02:52 PM)Rainmaker33 Wrote: Proven what at Magoffin?
Proven himself as a DC , from my understanding he’s always been an assistant. He calls all the defensive plays in games, he also coaches the linebackers and running backs.  

took my buddies son Ian McCarty and took him from a backup running back to the leading rusher for magoffin in just a few short months.  

Hes proven he can relate to our kids, parents and program. Him and DeRossett work tirelessly to improve these kids and it’s showing.  

I would hate to see him go, but at the same time he’s HC material and I do believe he was second behind DeRossett getting the Magoffin Co job. If DeRossett turned it down, they were hiring Woods. And they got him anyways.
I feel like PBurg would be better off with a young HC they feel has potential than him. Not insulting him or Magoffin but I imagine PBurg deserves better than the “runner up” at Magoffin.
(02-11-2024, 03:28 PM)Rainmaker33 Wrote: I feel like PBurg would be better off with a young HC they feel has potential than him. Not insulting him or Magoffin but I imagine PBurg deserves better than the “runner up” at Magoffin.
Magoffin will be more successful than Pburg in 3 years than Pburg was the last 6.  

Pburg wishes they had a “runner up” in anything right now
(02-11-2024, 04:07 PM)papabear02 Wrote:
(02-11-2024, 03:28 PM)Rainmaker33 Wrote: I feel like PBurg would be better off with a young HC they feel has potential than him. Not insulting him or Magoffin but I imagine PBurg deserves better than the “runner up” at Magoffin.
Magoffin will be more successful than Pburg in 3 years than Pburg was the last 6.  

Pburg wishes they had a “runner up” in anything right now
Really glad for coach Sully that he didn't accept the job. Pikeville should be playing for its four peat championship this upcoming season, Looks very favorable. Imagine him at the HC position at Pburg. There's no comparing a win against Betsy Layne and Shelby Valley to winning a four peat trophy that he would help earn. No surprise, wisdom is seen in his decision.
Not sure pburg “deserves” anything. It’s a bottom feeder program now. They will have to take what they can get. Runner up would be a step in the right direction. Loss of booster money combined with all the politics and outside forces it’s not a great job anyone would want. 

Some people seem to still think they’re a top team. Odd since of arrogance and entitlement right now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Upnorth's post:
  • Westside
(02-11-2024, 06:07 PM)Upnorth Wrote:
Not sure pburg “deserves” anything. It’s a bottom feeder program now. They will have to take what they can get. Runner up would be a step in the right direction. Loss of booster money combined with all the politics and outside forces it’s not a great job anyone would want. 

Some people seem to still think they’re a top team. Odd since of arrogance and entitlement right now.
The kids deserve better.
[-] The following 6 users Like Rainmaker33's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, Blacksmith, Colonel4Life1999, jetpilot, Red and Black, Redneck
(02-11-2024, 06:10 PM)Rainmaker33 Wrote:
(02-11-2024, 06:07 PM)Upnorth Wrote:

The kids deserve better.
Why do pburg kids “deserve” more than Magoffin kids?  This past year looking from the outside of both programs it looks like the Magoffin kids and coaches are working hard.
  • Westside
he actually said "better", not more. , as in the kids at Prestonsburg don't deserve to be caught in the middle of politics and entitled parents pissing matches. The kids are the ones hurting and they have no say in it. Other than just not playing..They deserve better than that....... Been there
[-] The following 2 users Like Blacksmith's post:
  • Card2000, Redneck
(02-11-2024, 07:51 PM)Blacksmith Wrote: he actually said "better", not more. , as in the kids at Prestonsburg don't deserve to be caught in the middle of politics and entitled parents pissing matches. The kids are the ones hurting and they have no say in it. Other than just not playing..They deserve better than that....... Been there
Exactly this
(02-11-2024, 08:24 PM)Rainmaker33 Wrote:
(02-11-2024, 07:51 PM)Blacksmith Wrote: he actually said "better", not more. , as in the kids at Prestonsburg don't deserve to be caught in the middle of politics and entitled parents pissing matches. The kids are the ones hurting and they have no say in it. Other than just not playing..They deserve better than that....... Been there
Exactly this
Agree with that. They do. Politics in the town is crazy. Never seen a city get so involved in a high school so much.
  • Blacksmith
(02-11-2024, 08:44 PM)Upnorth Wrote:
Exactly this
Agree with that. They do. Politics in the town is crazy. Never seen a city get so involved in a high school so much.
yep, you and me both..
Prestonsburg parents are trying to get a coach who will listen to whatever the parents say. A select few basically demand that their son better be a 2 way starter. Some parents can ruin a good experience for their children in sports. Money and politics around the city dictates who’s on the field.
Here we go again, going down this rabbit hole. Prestonsburg just as needs to hire a parent or someone they can all control. go 3-7 or 2-8 next few seasons. Then start this process all over again hopefully this time nick saban is looking to get back into coaching or bill belichick hasn't landed another coaching job. I believe that will be the only way they'll get kids to come out for football by then.
Need to wake up; have a big new school going towards your North on US23 that has a winning football success past few years with a couple state championships. Have another successful smaller school to your south on US 23 that will continue to be dominating 1a and win a couple more state championship next few seasons.

Exactly this
If you meant that the kids at Pburg deserved better than all the politics, why didn't you state that? To borrow a line from dougie, bull butter.  It's obvious what you state.  Bull butter. again.   Pburg does not deserve any better than Magoffin Co.
Nobody said they deserve better than Magoffin

The kids deserve better than the situation

I hope they both win every game idc
(02-12-2024, 04:45 PM)Rainmaker33 Wrote: Nobody said they deserve better than Magoffin

The kids deserve better than the situation

I hope they both win every game idc

Bull
I never said that? Ive been very vocal about Prestonsburg politics here and in the past and I played sports there.. Thats why Ive been so vocal about it. I felt it first hand...

Ill fully admit that Im biased and probably still jaded with what I exp'd there and its been a long time ago.. I always thought that this good ol boy ball will go away one day.. It looks like it has not...
I quoted someone else and assumed what they meant the same as me, that's on me. I dealt personally with crap like that there and it cost me.. I wont go farther than that but rest assured I have plenty of reason to be a bit bitter.
I dont want to see kids go through what I went through.. Its as simple as that...
(02-12-2024, 08:21 PM)Blacksmith Wrote: I never said that?  Ive been very vocal about Prestonsburg politics here and in the past and I played sports there.. Thats why Ive been so vocal about it. I felt it first hand...

Ill fully admit that Im biased and probably still jaded with what I exp'd there and its been a long time ago.. I always thought that this good ol boy ball will go away one day.. It looks like it has not...
I quoted someone else and assumed what they meant the same as me, that's on me.  I dealt personally with crap like that there and it cost me.. I wont go farther than that but rest assured I have plenty of reason to be a bit bitter. 
I dont want to see kids go through what I went through.. Its as simple as that...
True true.  Unfortunately there are too many politics in Prestonsburg that want HS football control..  for what though.  Why do you have to control it?  I mean, it’s highschool sports.  These people just have to give it up. Let coaches coach, parents parent, principals principal, judges stay in the courtroom and let the kids play.  Plain and simple.
[-] The following 1 user Likes papabear02's post:
  • Blacksmith
(02-12-2024, 09:00 PM)papabear02 Wrote:
(02-12-2024, 08:21 PM)Blacksmith Wrote: I never said that?  Ive been very vocal about Prestonsburg politics here and in the past and I played sports there.. Thats why Ive been so vocal about it. I felt it first hand...

I quoted someone else and assumed what they meant the same as me, that's on me.  I dealt personally with crap like that there and it cost me.. I wont go farther than that but rest assured I have plenty of reason to be a bit bitter. 
True true.  Unfortunately there are too many politics in Prestonsburg that want HS football control..  for what though.  Why do you have to control it?  I mean, it’s highschool sports.  These people just have to give it up. Let coaches coach, parents parent, principals principal, judges stay in the courtroom and let the kids play.  Plain and simple.
You know whats funny, a lot of these folks causing issues? They never even played sports and they act like its them on the line.... Ive been involved in youth sports, or was involved for a good while and this kinda stuff irritates me and push's one of the few buttons I have.. 
 Sorry folks, Im normally a really laid back person but this is one thing that gets me worked up   Big Grin  
Ill hush now and stop bringing the thread down....
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blacksmith's post:
  • papabear02
(02-12-2024, 09:10 PM)Blacksmith Wrote:
(02-12-2024, 09:00 PM)papabear02 Wrote:

You know whats funny, a lot of these folks causing issues? They never even played sports and they act like its them on the line.... Ive been involved in youth sports, or was involved for a good while and this kinda stuff irritates me and push's one of the few buttons I have.. 
 Sorry folks, Im normally a really laid back person but this is one thing that gets me worked up   Big Grin  
Ill hush now and stop bringing the thread down....
100%
[-] The following 1 user Likes papabear02's post:
  • Blacksmith
(02-12-2024, 04:06 PM)Westside Wrote:

Exactly this
If you meant that the kids at Pburg deserved better than all the politics, why didn't you state that? To borrow a line from dougie, bull butter.  It's obvious what you state.  Bull butter. again.   Pburg does not deserve any better than Magoffin Co.
Is that really how you took that comment? Hell I live in Magoffin and my kids go to and play for the feeder programs in Magoffin, and I didn’t even take it that way.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
(02-13-2024, 01:40 AM)Redneck Wrote:

Exactly this
Is that really how you took that comment? Hell I live in Magoffin and my kids go to and play for the feeder programs in Magoffin, and I didn’t even take it that way.

Yes, that is how I took it, and I'm obviously not alone.  If that's not what he meant, it was a very poorly worded post.
(02-13-2024, 09:35 AM)Westside Wrote:
(02-13-2024, 01:40 AM)Redneck Wrote:

Exactly this

Yes, that is how I took it, and I'm obviously not alone.  If that's not what he meant, it was a very poorly worded post.
I acknowledge it may have been poorly worded but it was not meant with any negative intention to Magoffin. Was more a statement about pburg. I apologize either way for offending. Wasn’t the intention.
[-] The following 3 users Like Rainmaker33's post:
  • Blacksmith, Redneck, Westside
Back on topic. Who is being interviewed now? I don’t mean who is on the dream wish list of Pburg fans but actual candidates. Some of the names mentioned tell me a lot of a pburg fans don’t realize exactly where their program currently stands.
Death of blackcat football. Firing John D was the worst mistake that could have happened.
[-] The following 2 users Like Real Badman's post:
  • Explorer, Westside
(02-13-2024, 10:29 AM)Upnorth Wrote: Back on topic. Who is being interviewed now? I don’t mean who is on the dream wish list of Pburg fans but actual candidates. Some of the names mentioned tell me a lot of a pburg fans don’t realize exactly where their program currently stands.

Yes and no.

The people really think that it’s a top job, but it’s not. As a matter of fact, there is only 6/7 good/great jobs on the 14-16th region, because of the population changes.

That still doesn’t mean they can’t get a big name. Situations change and money talks.
I'm a complete outsider to Prestonsburg football, I did play with Jeremy Caudill a little in college, but other than that I'm only familiar with the history and not the ins and outs.

What I do know is that if they couldn't outbid GRC for Jordan Ray then the "Money" everyone is speaking of isn't talking. I love Jordan, he's a great guy a great OC and Line coach and will be a good HC one day, but I know a little about the coaching budgets around the state and if Pburg wanted Jordan bad enough they could and would have outbid GRC's OC stipend and school pay. You can't have Champagne taste on a Steel Reserve budget. It sounds to me like Pburg should take a chance with a no name up and comer and pray they hit lighting in a bottle.
[-] The following 2 users Like HSFOOTBALL's post:
  • Blacksmith, Explorer
  •  Previous
  • 15(current)
  • Next