Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Prestonsburg Open
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Coach Brandon Brewer announced today he has resigned after 6 years at Prestonsburg. 

I wish nothing but success and good fortune for he and his family. 

Rumors have swirled since the season ended that Jordan Ray is the favorite if this day ever come. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him announced as the next head coach at Prestonsburg in the coming weeks.
(01-09-2024, 07:41 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: [ -> ]Coach Brandon Brewer announced today he has resigned after 6 years at Prestonsburg. 

Rumors have swirled since the season ended that Jordan Ray is the favorite if this day ever come. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him announced as the next head coach at Prestonsburg in the coming weeks.

i don’t think this would be a very good hire.  

id go after Ryan Chapman from Belfry OC who applied the same time Brewer did. 

Chapman is a proven winner. 
(01-09-2024, 08:03 PM)papabear02 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-09-2024, 07:41 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: [ -> ]Coach Brandon Brewer announced today he has resigned after 6 years at Prestonsburg. 

Chapman applied for the Paintsville job when it was open. Someone is bound to give him a shot one of these days.
Jordan Ray would be a good hire. He coached offensive line at Paintsville on their championship team and is the current OC at Clark County.  Who else will apply for this job?
(01-09-2024, 08:25 PM)Redneck Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-09-2024, 08:03 PM)papabear02 Wrote: [ -> ]

Chapman applied for the Paintsville job when it was open. Someone is bound to give him a shot one of these days.
I’ve been told by people around the Belfry program Chapman would be 1 of the 3 names in the conversation to replace Haywood when he retires. He is the current OC at Belfry but when my son played he had that title but Haywood is still the guy who called the plays. May not be the case now I honestly don’t know. Would Jared Jarrell be a name considering the success he has had at Betsy Layne and graduated from Prestonsburg?
I think many will apply, but it’s Jordan Ray’s job if he wants it.
(01-09-2024, 08:52 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: [ -> ]I think many will apply, but it’s Jordan Ray’s job if he wants it.
Yea I think your right.. Whoever it is, that rights the Pburg ship will be a hero and have a great coaching job...
What makes Jordan Ray the overwhelming favorite to land this job? I hope the administration doesn't have someone already chosen, without giving each applicant a fair shake. I understand that's how it works a lot with the hiring process, but this is a very important hire for the future of Prestonsburg football. I'm curious as well, if Jared Jarrell will apply. He would be a great hire, and not to mention his stepson is one of the top middle school athletes in the area. Things should get interesting in the Burg!
Who is Jordan Ray? Literally never heard of him
(01-10-2024, 11:37 AM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: [ -> ]What makes Jordan Ray the overwhelming favorite to land this job? I hope the administration doesn't have someone already chosen, without giving each applicant a fair shake. I understand that's how it works a lot with the hiring process, but this is a very important hire for the future of Prestonsburg football. I'm curious as well, if Jared Jarrell will apply. He would be a great hire, and not to mention his stepson is one of the top middle school athletes in the area. Things should get interesting in the Burg!
I think he’s the majority favorite because he’s from Pburg, graduated from Pburg, and he’s been mentoring for several years under Joe Chirico.

Jarredd Jarrell should be considered as well. I think he really likes where he’s at, but I think deep down he’d love to coach at Prestonsburg. 
(01-10-2024, 11:37 AM)Real Badman Wrote: [ -> ]Who is Jordan Ray? Literally never heard of him
2016 graduate from Prestonsburg. 

OL coach at Paintsville under Chirico. Followed him to GRC where he is currently the offensive coordinator.
Jordan Ray would be great hire. He has mentored under one of the best and kids like Jordan Ray, Would be great continaution of hiring young coaching talent at Pburg. However, question I have is does he want to come home or wait until something opens in Central Kentucky.
(01-10-2024, 03:01 PM)kai Wrote: [ -> ]Jordan Ray would be great hire. He has mentored under one of the best and kids like Jordan Ray,  Would be great continaution of hiring young coaching talent at Pburg.  However, question I have is does he want to come home or wait until something opens in Central Kentucky.

I love Chirico as he is one of the best men you will ever meet.  That said, his name in Central Ky holds a lot less weight than it does in the mountains, so I would imagine Jordan Ray's chances to land an HC job based off Chirico's reputation and guidance are much more likely in the mountains than CKY. I heard there was mutual interest in the Hazard job, but I couldn't think of a better fit than Pburg.  Clark operates under the Tony Franklin Bible, so I would imagine wherever he goes he will want the athletes capable of running the system.
I would think the Pburg Alum would reach far and wide for a proven winner and not hang the programs future on an unproven graduate. Remember Kinner was also on the Chrico staff at Paintsville and we know his record as a head coach. I would look at coaches like Mark Dixon, Larry French or John Chapman. Maybe reach out to old ball coach Bill Letton to see if he would be interested.
Would Jerico be interested?
(01-10-2024, 03:51 PM)Ike Cooter Wrote: [ -> ]I would think the Pburg Alum would reach far and wide for a proven winner and not hang the programs future on an unproven graduate. Remember Kinner was also on the Chrico staff at Paintsville and we know his record as a head coach. I would look at coaches like Mark Dixon, Larry French or John Chapman. Maybe reach out to old ball coach Bill Letton to see if he would be interested.

I don't think a outside hire would work unless it's someone they couldn't turn down. Needs to be someone that knows the ins and outs of the town, school, and program. I think Jordan Ray and Jarredd Jarrell both check those boxes.

(01-10-2024, 05:56 PM)Sportscritic79 Wrote: [ -> ]Would Jerico be interested?
I think Chirico and his family are happy with where they're at. GRC is likely paying him more than Pburg could offer.

I think Jordan Ray makes the most sense for Prestonsburg. He's young, kids seem to really love him, he played at Pburg, he's from Pburg, and he's been mentoring under Joe Chirico for years now. Chirico is beloved in Prestonsburg from his time here as an assistant. He'll back Jordan Ray 100%. I think also if you hire Ray, you're gonna attract some transfers from a few different schools. Only con is he doesn't have head coaching experience, but I think Jordan can put together a heckuva staff of wise men to assist him along the way.

I think Jarredd Jarrell should at least get a call to gauge his interest. I think he would love to coach at Prestonsburg, but he's in a tough spot because Betsy Layne has a talented team coming back and they have talent coming up. So I'm not sure he'd want to up and leave them at this time.

I know others will apply, but to me Jordan Ray makes the most sense and I think he'll accept the offer.
(01-11-2024, 01:56 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-10-2024, 03:51 PM)Ike Cooter Wrote: [ -> ]I would think the Pburg Alum would reach far and wide for a proven winner and not hang the programs future on an unproven graduate. Remember Kinner was also on the Chrico staff at Paintsville and we know his record as a head coach. I would look at coaches like Mark Dixon, Larry French or John Chapman. Maybe reach out to old ball coach Bill Letton to see if he would be interested.

I don't think a outside hire would work unless it's someone they couldn't turn down. Needs to be someone that knows the ins and outs of the town, school, and program. I think Jordan Ray and Jarredd Jarrell both check those boxes.

I think Chirico and his family are happy with where they're at. GRC is likely paying him more than Pburg could offer.

I think Jordan Ray makes the most sense for Prestonsburg. He's young, kids seem to really love him, he played at Pburg, he's from Pburg, and he's been mentoring under Joe Chirico for years now. Chirico is beloved in Prestonsburg from his time here as an assistant. He'll back Jordan Ray 100%. I think also if you hire Ray, you're gonna attract some transfers from a few different schools. Only con is he doesn't have head coaching experience, but I think Jordan can put together a heckuva staff of wise men to assist him along the way.

I think Jarredd Jarrell should at least get a call to gauge his interest. I think he would love to coach at Prestonsburg, but he's in a tough spot because Betsy Layne has a talented team coming back and they have talent coming up. So I'm not sure he'd want to up and leave them at this time.

I know others will apply, but to me Jordan Ray makes the most sense and I think he'll accept the offer.
Something else that hasn’t been mentioned is that Jordan Ray will be able to build a good coaching staff as well.  It takes more than just a good head coach.
Been pretty quiet in the Prestonsburg program over the last 15 years. Do they have the talent pool to be legitimate in the post season?
Did Brewer bring his staff from Powell County when he came or was the assistants he had Prestonsburg guys? Didn’t know if the new would have some guys leftover from the previous staff or it’d be an entire new staff.
His staff was mostly Pburg guys or guys from the previous staff.
I don't understand why you think Jordan Ray makes the most sense. I'm sure he is a great guy and I understand he has ties to Pburg but that doesn't make him a great coach. I'd say the same about Jarrell. Another great guy but to me he hasn't proven himself as a great coach. I know he has won at BL but the schedule has not been difficult. I'm sure Pburg alum is not satisfied with playing Phelps, Jenkins, East Ridge, Betsy Layne, Floyd Central and Knott County to have a winning season. Pburg won't be respected until they consistently beat Bell, Breathitt, Belfry, Johnson Central, Ashland, Beechwood, LCA and other top programs.
(01-10-2024, 03:01 PM)kai Wrote: [ -> ]Jordan Ray would be great hire. He has mentored under one of the best and kids like Jordan Ray,  Would be great continaution of hiring young coaching talent at Pburg.  However, question I have is does he want to come home or wait until something opens in Central Kentucky.
Jordan Ray would be a great fit. I think he would bring some much needed energy into that Blackcat program.

(01-11-2024, 03:15 PM)Redneck Wrote: [ -> ]

Something else that hasn’t been mentioned is that Jordan Ray will be able to build a good coaching staff as well.  It takes more than just a good head coach.
I agree!

Jordan Ray would be a GREAT fit at P Burg! I think he would bring some much needed energy into that Blackcat program.
(01-11-2024, 06:53 PM)Ike Cooter Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand why you think Jordan Ray makes the most sense. I'm sure he is a great guy and I understand he has ties to Pburg but that doesn't make him a great coach. I'd say the same about Jarrell. Another great guy but to me he hasn't proven himself as a great coach. I know he has won at BL but the schedule has not been difficult. I'm sure Pburg alum is not satisfied with playing Phelps, Jenkins, East Ridge, Betsy Layne, Floyd Central and Knott County to have a winning season. Pburg won't be respected until they consistently beat Bell, Breathitt, Belfry, Johnson Central, Ashland, Beechwood, LCA and other top programs.
It’s my opinion is why I think it makes most sense to me. What makes sense to you might be different. That’s okay lol. 

Just about every team you mentioned there has transfers or has lots of kids playing there that live in other school districts. Pburg needs a coach and staff that attracts transfers and kids from other districts in order to play on the level of those programs consistently.

Who would want to go into the political mess that is Floyd County, just because you coach under a good coach doesn't mean you'll pan out to be a good coach. I'm sure the parents and boosters that forced Brewer out with the threats of not funding the team will have the say on who they hire though.
I was hoping Coach Brewer was going to be head coach at The Burg for a long time to come. I loved what he was doing to the program there.

Jordan Ray's brother just graduated college. I'm not sure what his major is, BUT if it is in education, would Prestonsburg have teach positions for both Jordan and Grant? I'm sure their father, who I played under, and is a great coach IMO would also be on staff. Coach Donnie Ray is tough, but he is the kind of coach you want to play for. He is one of my all-time favorite coaches. I figure Judge Johnny Ray would also be willing to help out as he and Donnie Ray have played together and coached together in the past, but this is all guessing on my part because I have absolutely no knowledge of the situation what so ever. With a staff like that, I don't think the program would have to worry about losing players to other programs unless it was due to the the mess that is the F!oyd County Board of Education.
(01-12-2024, 04:57 AM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]I was hoping Coach Brewer was going to be head coach at The Burg for a long time to come. I loved what he was doing to the program there.

Jordan Ray's brother just graduated college.  I'm not sure what his major is, BUT if it is in education, would Prestonsburg have teach positions for both Jordan and Grant?  I'm sure their father, who I played under, and is a great coach IMO would also be on staff.  Coach Donnie Ray is tough, but he is the kind of coach you want to play for.  He is one of my all-time favorite coaches.  I figure Judge Johnny Ray would also be willing to help out as he and Donnie Ray have played together and coached together in the past, but this is all guessing on my part because I have absolutely no knowledge of the situation what so ever.  With a staff like that, I don't think the program would have to worry about losing players to other programs unless it was due to the the mess that is the F!oyd County Board of Education.

I'm not sure about current openings at the teacher position at PHS. I'm sure they'll figure something out.

I would assume IF Jordan Ray is the one hired that Grant, Donnie, and Johnny Ray Harris would most certainly be members of the staff. I've heard a name from Paintsville that would be brought on as well. I'm hoping Derek Newsome can possibly be retained. He's a young coach and was the OC at Pburg the last few seasons under Brewer. I think he would be beneficial to this theoretical staff.

I do believe Jordan Ray is going to be the next coach at Prestonsburg, but a name I think should be considered also before everything is finalized is Paul Sullivan at Pikeville. I think he would be a very good hire, but I'd imagine he's in line to replace McNamee once he hangs it up one day, whenever that might be. So that's something I'm sure would have to be considered if Sullivan is given a call.
(01-12-2024, 05:25 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-12-2024, 04:57 AM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]I was hoping Coach Brewer was going to be head coach at The Burg for a long time to come. I loved what he was doing to the program there.

Jordan Ray's brother just graduated college.  I'm not sure what his major is, BUT if it is in education, would Prestonsburg have teach positions for both Jordan and Grant?  I'm sure their father, who I played under, and is a great coach IMO would also be on staff.  Coach Donnie Ray is tough, but he is the kind of coach you want to play for.  He is one of my all-time favorite coaches.  I figure Judge Johnny Ray would also be willing to help out as he and Donnie Ray have played together and coached together in the past, but this is all guessing on my part because I have absolutely no knowledge of the situation what so ever.  With a staff like that, I don't think the program would have to worry about losing players to other programs unless it was due to the the mess that is the F!oyd County Board of Education.

I'm not sure about current openings at the teacher position at PHS. I'm sure they'll figure something out.

I would assume IF Jordan Ray is the one hired that Grant, Donnie, and Johnny Ray Harris would most certainly be members of the staff. I've heard a name from Paintsville that would be brought on as well. I'm hoping Derek Newsome can possibly be retained. He's a young coach and was the OC at Pburg the last few seasons under Brewer. I think he would be beneficial to this theoretical staff.

I do believe Jordan Ray is going to be the next coach at Prestonsburg, but a name I think should be considered also before everything is finalized is Paul Sullivan at Pikeville. I think he would be a very good hire, but I'd imagine he's in line to replace McNamee once he hangs it up one day, whenever that might be. So that's something I'm sure would have to be considered if Sullivan is given a call.
I doubt Newsome is retained as the OC. Brian Melvin is rumored to join Ray if he is hired. Melvin coached LBs under Chirico and has been DC under Hoskins.
(01-12-2024, 08:35 AM)Rough and Tough Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt Newsome is retained as the OC. Brian Melvin is rumored to join Ray if he is hired. Melvin coached LBs under Chirico and has been DC under Hoskins.
Melvin is the name I was told also
(01-11-2024, 06:53 PM)Ike Cooter Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand why you think Jordan Ray makes the most sense. I'm sure he is a great guy and I understand he has ties to Pburg but that doesn't make him a great coach. I'd say the same about Jarrell. Another great guy but to me he hasn't proven himself as a great coach. I know he has won at BL but the schedule has not been difficult. I'm sure Pburg alum is not satisfied with playing Phelps, Jenkins, East Ridge, Betsy Layne, Floyd Central and Knott County to have a winning season. Pburg won't be respected until they consistently beat Bell, Breathitt, Belfry, Johnson Central, Ashland, Beechwood, LCA and other top programs.
You are an untesested Coach, until you are not.  You pay your dues as assistant, preferrably under a tested and proven head coach.   Jordan Ray has paid his dues under Joe.  Will he be a good Head Coach, I think so, but only time will tell.   I do know kids like him, he is good with them, and should be able to retain kids in the program.  All just my opinion. what Coach a particular school will hire is always up in air, with factors such as politics invlvoved, or a Principal/Superintendent who don't care about sports and has different agenda (not referring to PBurg in any way).  I wish prestonsburg the best in their hiring and hope they have several great canidates from which to pick.
I’m hearing Michael Burchett is returning home to apply for the job. If so, this is a game changer. Michael was recently the QB coach at the University of Houston, and West Virginia. Also, he was one of the best to ever play QB at Prestonsburg. If he applies, he would be the best choice and it wouldn’t be close! I guess time will tell!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24