Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Prestonsburg Open
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
(01-20-2024, 01:03 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: [ -> ]Jordan Ray is out! GRC gave him a big raise and he is staying put. Burchett is interested, but he has applied for other college jobs, and people are afraid he would leave if he gets one of those jobs and who could blame him. The two names I’m hearing is the old ball coach, Bill Letton, and Sullivan from Pikeville.
Would Letton be interested in relocating back to EKY? How old is he now? He had some good teams back in the day at Pburg. For Sullivan don’t really know him but Pikeville always had good defense with him. Would he be willing to leave Pikeville for Pburg? Seems like he’d be the top choice to replace Mcnamee when he hangs the whistle up whenever that may be.
(01-20-2024, 01:03 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: [ -> ]Jordan Ray is out! GRC gave him a big raise and he is staying put. Burchett is interested, but he has applied for other college jobs, and people are afraid he would leave if he gets one of those jobs and who could blame him. The two names I’m hearing is the old ball coach, Bill Letton, and Sullivan from Pikeville.
Sullivan would be the obvious choice here. Letton isn’t coming back, they ran him off once…he’s got it made in GA. 

Sullivan would be a no brainer especially if he applied. He’s ran an outstanding defense at pikeville and could bring a staff and players with him.  His wife is also an alumni of Prestonsburg so there’s a tie there.  

if Sullivan isn’t the man for PHS, then I would go after some alumni. 

Derek Newsome PHS OC 
Kevin Woods Magoffin DC 
Matt Slone former middle school HC 
Seth Setser 
Nathan Leslie 

Something to think about for the administration to reach out to former players
(01-20-2024, 01:51 PM)papabear02 Wrote: [ -> ]
Sullivan would be the obvious choice here. Letton isn’t coming back, they ran him off once…he’s got it made in GA. 

Sullivan would be a no brainer especially if he applied. He’s ran an outstanding defense at pikeville and could bring a staff and players with him.  His wife is also an alumni of Prestonsburg so there’s a tie there.  

Derek Newsome PHS OC 
Kevin Woods Magoffin DC 
Seth Setser 
Nathan Leslie 

This is a nice realistic list of candidates.

Is Jarredd Jarrell in the conversation at all from what you all are hearing?
Based on this thread it’s interesting to see how small town politics have played a role in this search and conversation.
(01-20-2024, 02:42 PM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]

Derek Newsome PHS OC 
Kevin Woods Magoffin DC 
Seth Setser 
Nathan Leslie 

This is a nice realistic list of candidates.

Is Jarredd Jarrell in the conversation at all from what you all are hearing?
I don’t think Jarredd is going to leave BL. he hasn’t applied for this job and also his dad posted on a comment on social media that they are Bobcats for life and he’s not going anywhere.  

Sullivan is interested in this job but I’m not sure if he has applied. 

the other list of candidates I think also are good choices but here’s a breakdown. 

Derek - current PHS OC, has been calling the plays for the Brewer administration that hasn’t had much success the past few years. If hired, does he run the same ole stuff or change?  He is a teacher also at Allen Elementary. Very minimal high school experience 

Kevin - current DC for an up and coming magoffin team. Has been coaching at the HS level since 2012 under DeRossett. Has been a head coach for successful middle school, JV and Freshman teams at PHS. I believe he played for DeRossett when they went to the State Championship in 01’. From what I heard on the street, he’s multiple people’s choice due to his experience and grind and work ethic and that’s what Pburg needs. Kevin is a teacher at the vocational school in Floyd county. 

Matt - another great candidate that has the drive and work ethic that Pburg needs right now.  Was a teammate with Kevin on the 01 state team.  Heck of a ball player and can coach.  He would bring the Blackcat spark back to Prestonsburg. He also knows what it takes to win. I believe he still holds the rushing record at Prestonsburg.  I don’t think he has any high school coaching experience and he’s also not a teacher.  

Seth - seth would bring another great attitude to the sidelines for Prestonsburg.  His knowledge and will to win are what Pburg needs.  He’s currently residing in Florida as he’s a middle school head coach and an assistant on a High School team in his town.  Not sure what his plans are and if he would up and move from Florida back to Pburg not being a teacher.  

Nathan - wow what this would be.  Nathan has been an assistant at Trinity in Louisville for 10+ years with multiple state championships and D1 athletes coached.  He was a D1 athlete himself at Marshall where he played Oline. And had coached the Oline and Dline at Trinity.  It’s highly unlikely that he comes back here but it’s possible.  He is a teacher and his enthusiasm and knowledge are what Pburg could use.  Nathan still has family in Prestonsburg as all these candidates do.  This would be a really nice hire if it could happen.  

Michael Burchett - I know I didn’t mention him in my previous post for a candidate but out of all these candidates, this would be my pick. It’s highly unlikely as Burchett has proven himself as a D1 coach and is likely to land another D1 job somewhere but his resume his too long to list. Just google him.  

With all the candidates mentioned there’s a few things in common. Like him or hate him, all these guys are former players of Coach John DeRossett and all PHS alumni with a hard nose pedigree with the drive to win.

Derek Newsome PHS OC 
Kevin Woods Magoffin DC 
Seth Setser 
Nathan Leslie 

A bunch of staff and players leaving Pikeville going to Prestonsburg is about as likely as simultaneously hitting the Powerball, getting struck by lightning and getting run over by a bus.
(01-20-2024, 03:41 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]

Derek Newsome PHS OC 
Kevin Woods Magoffin DC 
Seth Setser 
Nathan Leslie 

A bunch of staff and players leaving Pikeville going to Prestonsburg is about as likely as simultaneously hitting the Powerball, getting struck by lightning and getting run over by a bus.
  You never know.
(01-20-2024, 04:09 PM)papabear02 Wrote: [ -> ]

Derek Newsome PHS OC 
Kevin Woods Magoffin DC 
Seth Setser 
Nathan Leslie 

You never know.
Pikeville heavily favored to win their 5th state championship in the last 6 years. Senior class could be state champs all 4 years of high school. I want to meet the guy that can get any of them to give that up and go to a school they've never been to, to help that school start beating Floyd Central and Betsy Layne again. I'm all for Prestonsburg getting back on track but let's get real here.
(01-20-2024, 04:24 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-20-2024, 04:09 PM)papabear02 Wrote: [ -> ]

Derek Newsome PHS OC 
Kevin Woods Magoffin DC 
Seth Setser 
Nathan Leslie 

You never know.
Pikeville heavily favored to win their 5th state championship in the last 6 years. Senior class could be state champs all 4 years of high school. I want to meet the guy that can get any of them to give that up and go to a school they've never been to, to help that school start beating Floyd Central and Betsy Layne again. I'm all for Prestonsburg getting back on track but let's get real here.
I believe you’re right Jet, let’s focus on the most realistic candidates.  

who would you pick from that list?
Sullivan isn’t leaving Pikeville. Using it to get a raise? Maybe.

Hilarious list, a bunch of teachers then a college coach at high level college and universities.

Wow
(01-20-2024, 07:20 PM)RTruth Wrote: [ -> ]Sullivan isn’t leaving Pikeville. Using it to get a raise? Maybe.

Hilarious list, a bunch of teachers then a college coach at high level college and universities.

Wow
I believe Sullivan would leave but it’s highly unlikely to Pburg.  

It is highly encouraged to hire teachers first over paraprofessionals because of retirement, teachers are in the school with the kids and they can most of the time keep an eye on their players.  

I don’t think it’s a hilarious list because everyone on that list would be a passionate coach, coaching their Alma Mater 

is there a perfect coach on that suggested list?  Heck no, but I believe any of those would bring a spark back.  

as for Burchett, yea that would be a long shot…but he’s the one that reached out about the position so there ya go.
(01-20-2024, 07:32 PM)papabear02 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-20-2024, 07:20 PM)RTruth Wrote: [ -> ]Sullivan isn’t leaving Pikeville. Using it to get a raise? Maybe.

Wow
I believe Sullivan would leave but it’s highly unlikely to Pburg.  

It is highly encouraged to hire teachers first over paraprofessionals because of retirement, teachers are in the school with the kids and they can most of the time keep an eye on their players.  

I don’t think it’s a hilarious list because everyone on that list would be a passionate coach, coaching their Alma Mater 

is there a perfect coach on that suggested list?  Heck no, but I believe any of those would bring a spark back.  

as for Burchett, yea that would be a long shot…but he’s the one that reached out about the position so there ya go.

If I were Ricky I’d come off my high horse and pick up the phone. quit listening to little Johnny Ray!
If Sullivan is available you’d be silly not to jump on it. Hes worked under a proven winner. People don’t value that enough like they should and they used to do. I keep seeing people get jobs right out of college before they’ve ever coached a day and after a year realize they don’t like coaching. Sullivan is a career coach that knows how to win.
I’m not making fun of anyone. I understand the process.

I merely stating that Burchett should be candidate #1, Sullivan #2. That’s the list

The rest are simply all next. No comparison between them and the 2 above.
(01-20-2024, 09:23 PM)RTruth Wrote: [ -> ]I’m not making fun of anyone. I understand the process.

I merely stating that Burchett should be candidate #1,  Sullivan #2. That’s the list

The rest are simply all next. No comparison between them and the 2 above.
I agree 100%. either would be a A++ hire
(01-20-2024, 08:48 PM)14th Official Wrote: [ -> ]If Sullivan is available you’d be silly not to jump on it. Hes worked under a proven winner. People don’t value that enough like they should and they used to do. I keep seeing people get jobs right out of college before they’ve ever coached a day and after a year realize they don’t like coaching. Sullivan is a career coach that knows how to win.
I don’t have personally know Sullivan but I do know he is Pikeville thru and thru. Belfry has had assistant coaches who had the opportunity to leave for HC opportunities and chose to stay just cause they didn’t want all that comes along with it and they liked the community. It sounds like whoever gets the job is going to have big shots in their ear telling them what to do and who to play and you can’t win like that at this level.
I just hope folks are smart enough not to believe everything they read on the internet.

Are there people behind the scenes selling potential coaching candidates on certain players? Yes, I'd say so. It wouldn't make much sense for any coach to apply for a job without doing their homework on the roster they'd be taking over.

Prestonsburg returns a roster very capable of not only winning their district, but winning their region as well and it's a young roster that has talent coming up from the feeder schools. That's a selling point. Plus Pburg has good facilities, new turf field to be installed this off season, weight room just got new equipment, etc.
'
There's a lot to sell to a potential candidate.
Here's my top 3:

1. Michael Burchett - LONG shot, but he is interested and I suspect he'll have a conversation with Principal Ricky Thacker soon. If he wants the job, its a no brainer.

2. Paul Sullivan - Family ties to Prestonsburg, paid his dues as DC at Pikeville, and knows what it takes to win. He has been contacted to gauge interest and from what I was told the conversation went well. Take that for what it's worth.

3. Derek Newsome - Current OC at Prestonsburg and PHS grad. Offensive minded, young, played OL at KCU, teacher at Allen, kids love him, already knows the landscape. Would be a long term hire. Makes sense to me if the above two say no.
(01-21-2024, 12:49 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: [ -> ]Here's my top 3:

1. Michael Burchett - LONG shot, but he is interested and I suspect he'll have a conversation with Principal Ricky Thacker soon. If he wants the job, its a no brainer.

2. Paul Sullivan - Family ties to Prestonsburg, paid his dues as DC at Pikeville, and knows what it takes to win. He has been contacted to gauge interest and from what I was told the conversation went well. Take that for what it's worth.

3. Derek Newsome - Current OC at Prestonsburg and PHS grad. Offensive minded, young, played OL at KCU, teacher at Allen, kids love him, already knows the landscape. Would be a long term hire. Makes sense to me if the above two say no.
Would Burchett or Sullivan be guys you’d see being there long term. Burchett has D1 coaching experience and seems he’d want to keep moving up the coaching ladder. For Sullivan people I’ve talked to always said he’d be the replacement when Mcnamee retires. Mcnamee is around 55. Will he coach until he’s 70 like Haywood and Hilton? Don’t know but most don’t. I just assumed from what I’ve been told he’d be the next coach at Pikeville.
(01-21-2024, 01:04 AM)pirateforlife Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-21-2024, 12:49 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: [ -> ]Here's my top 3:

Would Burchett or Sullivan be guys you’d see being there long term. Burchett has D1 coaching experience and seems he’d want to keep moving up the coaching ladder. For Sullivan people I’ve talked to always said he’d be the replacement when Mcnamee retires. Mcnamee is around 55. Will he coach until he’s 70 like Haywood and Hilton? Don’t know but most don’t. I just assumed from what I’ve been told he’d be the next coach at Pikeville.
I do not think that Burchett or Sullivan would be long term.

Both would likely be around for a handful of seasons, but it could be a handful of some great seasons.
Sad to hear Jordan Ray will not be in the job. Happy that he got a substantial raise, good for him. Like I said in a previous post, a great young man and coach. If I could talk to him, I would ask him this, “why did you only think I deserved more money when you thought I was leaving?” Schools need to develop a deeper appreciation for assistant coaches.
As for the job, I don’t see anyone on the previous list that jumps out. Sullivan will stay at Pikeville. It suits him and he’s loaded for next year. Newsome is a great young man but it will be more of the same. Woods is solid but he stayed in trouble with the administration when he was at the middle school. I would expect more if he was the high school coach. The environment is different. A good person but just doesn’t fit with the current situation.Leslie is going nowhere. He is happy, successful and settled in Louisville. Matt Slone would be good too, but Prestonsburg typically doesn’t hire paraprofessionals. Setser is in the same boat, non-teacher means no job
Burchett would be the perfect candidate, but I can’t see him applying. More later.
(01-21-2024, 01:19 AM)hawg laig Wrote: [ -> ]Sad to hear Jordan Ray will not be in the job. Happy that he got a substantial raise, good for him. Like I said in a previous post, a great young man and coach.  If I could talk to him, I would ask him this, “why did you only think I deserved more money when you thought I was leaving?” Schools need to develop a deeper appreciation for assistant coaches.
As for the job, I don’t see anyone on the previous list that jumps out. Sullivan will stay at Pikeville. It suits him and he’s loaded for next year. Newsome is a great young man but it will be more of the same. Woods is solid but he stayed in trouble with the administration when he was at the middle school. I would expect more if he was the high school coach. The environment is different. A good person but just doesn’t fit with the current situation.Leslie is going nowhere. He is happy, successful and settled in Louisville. Matt Slone would be good too, but Prestonsburg typically doesn’t hire paraprofessionals. Setser is in the same boat, non-teacher means no job
Burchett  would be the perfect candidate, but I can’t see him applying. More later.
I disagree. 

Newsome may not be the hire everyone expected, but I do think he could do the job and I believe he can read the room and knows things obviously have to be different going forward. Just because he was on Brewer's staff doesn't mean they have the same philosophy on everything.
(01-21-2024, 01:19 AM)hawg laig Wrote: [ -> ]Sad to hear Jordan Ray will not be in the job. Happy that he got a substantial raise, good for him. Like I said in a previous post, a great young man and coach.  If I could talk to him, I would ask him this, “why did you only think I deserved more money when you thought I was leaving?” Schools need to develop a deeper appreciation for assistant coaches.
Burchett  would be the perfect candidate, but I can’t see him applying. More later.
I think most of this was due to the principal trying to manipulate who got playing time because the principals son was on the team. He tried to control who played where and Woods didn’t play their same tune … he is a good coach and a good leader. A little aggressive but gets all he can out of players.  I doubt the Principal hires him but he’s got deep roots in Prestonsburg, he lives in town and still has good ties.  Will be a tough loss for Magoffin but I’m sure DeRossett will support seeing another one of his former players move up the ladder. 

as for Derek, I think when you are trying to change the program you just have to wipe it clean and start over.  All assistants go and you just start with all new.  Not saying Derek is a bad choice, but he was the OC under Brewer, the offense is what people had a problem with.  How do you change a complete offense that you know in just 9 months?  

I would love to see Burchett get it but I think he’s a short term coach.
Is this a good job???
(01-21-2024, 02:52 PM)Oldmanwinter80 Wrote: [ -> ]Is this a good job???

IMHO no.

You’re going to lose kids that can play to other schools.

The issue with schools being good/great then falling off is why?

You can’t be good unless those issues are addressed and it sounds like it hasn’t been.

PBurg has a good basketball coach, girls basketball coach, and was in the come up in baseball. How’s the education?
Jordan Ray is extremely  loyal to Coach Joe Chirico.   I figure that is the biggest reason he is staying put.  I keep hearing about a pay raise that he received.  Wouldn't that have required the board of education approval?
(01-21-2024, 03:06 PM)I RTruth Wrote: [ -> ]

IMHO no.

You can’t be good unless those issues are addressed and it sounds like it hasn’t been.

PBurg has a good basketball coach, girls basketball coach, and was in the come up in baseball. How’s the education?

I would go out on a limb and say not very good
(01-21-2024, 03:28 PM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]Jordan Ray is extremely  loyal to Coach Joe Chirico.   I figure that is the biggest reason he is staying put.  I keep hearing about a pay raise that he received.  Wouldn't that have required the board of education approval?
I would say the pay raise that’s mentioned is a better paying teaching position that he was in that Pburg couldn’t give him. Instead of a special ed teacher, he’s probably a director or department head now or something to that nature.
(01-21-2024, 03:30 PM)Oldmanwinter80 Wrote: [ -> ]

IMHO no.

So you're saying you don't know.

Prestonsburg would be a great job for the right person. Preferably someone who played there and already loves the program, and the daddys and administrators would leave alone to build the program back. Just don't know if all that is possible there anymore. I thought Jordan Ray was perfect. They should have given him whatever he wanted.
(01-21-2024, 05:07 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-21-2024, 03:30 PM)Oldmanwinter80 Wrote: [ -> ]

IMHO no.

So you're saying you don't know.

Prestonsburg would be a great job for the right person. Preferably someone who played there and already loves the program, and the daddys and administrators would leave alone to build the program back. Just don't know if all that is possible there anymore. I thought Jordan Ray was perfect. They should have given him whatever he wanted.

couldn’t agree more.  The daddy ball here has got out of hand at Pburg, and the principal don’t have a backbone to stand up to them.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24