Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Belfry 48 Johnson Central 20
Congratulations Pirates!!
1 key RB I think. And maybe another starter?? IMO, healthy they still aren’t gonna be at Kroger. Big gap between top 1, then 2, 3 might be close to 2 but after that, big gap. Maybe a dark hose out west?
(09-02-2023, 01:15 PM)Hound05 Wrote: 1 key RB I think. And maybe another starter?? IMO, healthy they still aren’t gonna be at Kroger. Big gap between top 1, then 2, 3 might be close to 2 but after that, big gap. Maybe a dark hose out west?
3 key running backs mccoart, music, Conley. Two play both ways.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gold River's post:
  • Hound05
Expected time of return?
Belfry playing very good early on is a good sign for their program.
(09-02-2023, 01:18 PM)Gold River Wrote:
(09-02-2023, 01:15 PM)Hound05 Wrote: 1 key RB I think. And maybe another starter?? IMO, healthy they still aren’t gonna be at Kroger. Big gap between top 1, then 2, 3 might be close to 2 but after that, big gap. Maybe a dark hose out west?
3 key running backs mccoart, music, Conley. Two play both ways.
That's a lot, especially for a team like JC that relies on that punishing running game.
I was way wrong!

Shocked by how this one played out. Good pride from the Pirates to bow up and show backbone after that disastrous second half last week.
(09-02-2023, 01:51 PM)EKUAlum05 Wrote: I was way wrong!

Shocked by how this one played out. Good pride from the Pirates to bow up and show backbone after that disastrous second half last week.
I would love to see the OL grades after this one.   IMO….the best OL play since 2019.  The kids up front deserve a lot of credit against a big JC Defensive line that wasn’t short handed.   Belfry was much more decisive on their special teams last night as well.  JC wasn’t able to start at the 50 yrd all night, unlike GRC.   When Belfry can establish the FB….good things happen.   #16 is gonna be special.  He is a great option in the run game.  Quick feet…and very shifty between the tackles.
So it may have been too early to crown Pikeville Kings of the Mountains after they beat JC last week. Belfry had much more success offensively against that JC defense.
(09-02-2023, 12:39 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(09-02-2023, 09:22 AM)Bull got out! Wrote: Wow, when I got the score I about fell out of my seat....Congratulations to Belfry!!! Speechless....

How's that Corbin-J.Central titanic struggle looking now?
Johnson Central won't score. Grizzly bears will pack them off... Smile
staff did a great job in not letting those kids get down on themselves after a tough loss and coming back strong...... they tuned some things up and had the pirates ready to get back at it. long way to go but a good leap last week to this week

the core of freshman and sophomore have to stay together... 16 is going to be a very good player but my goodness 22 dante davis was all over the field last night for all the talk about the fullback lineage at belfry there has been a lot of great linebackers come through and this young man is up next... actually he isnt up next, hes up now. hylton deskins and henson are 3 guys who may never be superstars but they will be instrumental in a future state championship at belfry if they hit the weight room hard and get strength and weight under them... this offensive line showed why belfry is so excited about them and i believe theres only 2 seniors in that group. some of them stepped up and contributed on the defensive line which was very helpful too. great job by 79 the big freshman as well he got better as the game went on and really grew up last night. im probably leaving some guys out but they all played well and showed why belfry isnt ready to say die just yet... this young core is VERY good.

i dont want to harp too much about how well ace and caden played, they played great, but i cant say enough how much more comfortable chase varney looks in year 2 running the offense. by the end of this year hes going to be smooth and the next two years downright scary!

belfry has to figure out what is causing these 2nd half problems whether it be stamina or the young guys getting complacent and line it out... last night was a good win but theres plenty of room to improve and you arent out of the woods for 2 more weeks. climb that mountain!
(09-02-2023, 03:34 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:
(09-02-2023, 09:22 AM)Bull got out! Wrote: Wow, when I got the score I about fell out of my seat....Congratulations to Belfry!!! Speechless....

I’d say the wolverines will drag em all the way home to Michigan…….I mean somerset   Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Gold River's post:
  • Bull got out!, Diogenes, Hound05
(09-02-2023, 04:24 PM)Gold River Wrote:
(09-02-2023, 03:34 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:

I’d say the wolverines will drag em all the way home to Michigan…….I mean somerset   Smile
You mean Connecticut?   Smile
Assland gonna beat the brakes off JC
(09-01-2023, 11:08 PM)BelfryPride Wrote: FINAL! 

Keep Yapping...

Boondock Saint- 'Eagles win with a running clock.'
Westside - "Belfry is going to get taken to the woodshed"
Westside -"I just think Central is out of their league."
Truewords -"Unfortunately Belfry is facing 3 straight losses starting with JC. Schedule gets much kinder after that"
Jetpilot - "Not after Belfry gave up 50+ to GRC"
EKUAlum - " I don't see Belfry hanging within 4-5 TD's since they can't stop JC's offense."
TheStickyBandit - "This one will be ugly by halftime....Eagles roll"
Blackcatpride - "I have tons of respect for both programs, but respect doesn’t win games. Eagles big"

I just said it wasn't a coin toss. I didn't make a prediction on the thread. Everyone knew JC was favored, even Belfry fans.
Lots of people add valuable insight on BGR but I don't recall you ever adding anything.You keep being you and yapping though...
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • Diogenes, Gold River
(09-02-2023, 08:46 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

Keep Yapping...

Truewords -"Unfortunately Belfry is facing 3 straight losses starting with JC. Schedule gets much kinder after that"
EKUAlum - " I don't see Belfry hanging within 4-5 TD's since they can't stop JC's offense."
Blackcatpride - "I have tons of respect for both programs, but respect doesn’t win games. Eagles big"

I just said it wasn't a coin toss. I didn't make a prediction on the thread. Everyone knew JC was favored, even Belfry fans.
Lots of people add valuable insight on BGR but I don't recall you ever adding anything.You keep being you and yapping though...
i wouldnt say "lots" of people add valuable insight........
(09-02-2023, 08:49 PM)Khalisimo Wrote:
(09-02-2023, 08:46 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

Keep Yapping...

i wouldnt say "lots" of people add valuable insight........
well maybe, doesn't matter if it's 1 or 200 BelfryPride isn't in there...
This was not an upset and the score should be no surprise. Very few teams could lose their top 3 running backs and their starting senior nose guard to injuries and beat Belfry. Belfry played the team that Pikeville played in the second half of their game against Johnson Central and shut them out. I don't think that this result says anything about how the Belfry-Pikeville game will go.

Congrats to the Pirates for playing a great game. Belfry and Johnson Central have a history of upsetting each other in road games but under the circumstances, I don't believe that this was an upset.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Isaac Bell's post:
  • Diogenes
(09-02-2023, 09:11 PM)Isaac Bell Wrote: This was not an upset and the score should be no surprise. Very few teams could lose their top 3 running backs and their starting senior nose guard to injuries and beat Belfry. Belfry played the team that Pikeville played in the second half of their game against Johnson Central and shut them out. I don't think that this result says anything about how the Belfry-Pikeville game will go.

Congrats to the Pirates for playing a great game. Belfry and Johnson Central have a history of upsetting each other in road games but under the circumstances, I don't believe that this was an upset.
Prime example 2015 belfry flat out smacked jc in the mouth in a shootout that wasn’t expected
(09-02-2023, 01:23 PM)Hound05 Wrote: Expected time of return?

Two games prior to playing the Hounds. Just in time for the Hounds to spank some hind end in new stadium.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cowboy42's post:
  • pjdoug
(09-02-2023, 05:55 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: Assland gonna beat the brakes off JC

I can't wait.

It's over for The Eagles. You'll stop even hearing about them in top 5 discussions soon. Remember I told you so.
(09-03-2023, 10:40 PM)pjdoug Wrote:

It's over for The Eagles. You'll stop even hearing about them in top 5 discussions soon. Remember I told you so.
You may be right, but differences in jc and Corbin they’ve won a title since OSH was 12 years old actually two. They also beat the brakes off the 2021 corbin team on there home field that if I remember correctly was quoted as the best team in corbin history. Common denominator for the last few years seems like a transfer is the game changer for Corbin ex. Huff, the twins, Bailey I’m sure I’m missing a few baker dozens. Don’t see that at jc maybe they will fall off or maybe the great coach you all have can come show them how that recruiting stuff works  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Gold River's post:
  • Diogenes, Woodshed
(09-03-2023, 11:17 PM)Gold River Wrote:

You may be right, but differences in jc and Corbin they’ve won a title since OSH was 12 years old actually two. They also beat the brakes off the 2021 corbin team on there home field that if I remember correctly was quoted as the best team in corbin history. Common denominator for the last few years seems like a transfer is the game changer for Corbin ex. Huff, the twins, Bailey I’m sure I’m missing a few baker dozens. Don’t see that at jc maybe they will fall off or maybe the great coach you all have can come show them how that recruiting stuff works  Smile

I'm a Whitley County Colonel Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • Gold River
Considering that Johnson Centrals defense and offensive line were healthy, it really shocked me to see Belfry beat them like this. Even if JC would have had a couple of their running backs for this game, I don’t think it would have made that much of a difference. Belfry dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

Peck stepped into a very difficult situation. Jim Matney is a legend and it’s going to be hard for Johnson Central to replicate what he did there. Honestly, considering how bad that program was historically before Matney was there, what he did has to be ranked as one of the best examples of building a program in the state. I think your assessment is a little harsh, but after what I seen Friday it’s hard to completely disagree with you. That program has definitely slipped and it will be interesting to see how that plays out the rest of this season and the next few years.
Johnson Central took home a lot of regional runner-up trophies behind Highlands and Covington Catholic before Matney's run to the state finals began. There were seasons under Matney when he would have loved to have had any of JC's injured running backs as the team's featured back. Peck has them and all have suffered early season injuries. 

Johnson Central's program is in as good a shape as it has ever been. No great program ever fires a coach over key players getting injured. The mountains are full of programs that would welcome Jesse Peck as their head coach.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Isaac Bell's post:
  • Lucas
(09-04-2023, 06:04 AM)Fred G Sanford Wrote: Considering that Johnson Centrals defense and offensive line were healthy, it really shocked me to see Belfry beat them like this. Even if JC would have had a couple of their running backs for this game, I don’t think it would have made that much of a difference. Belfry dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.
JC's option offense, like Belfry's depends on precise timing and reads by the QB. If the timing is off, then the offensive line is not going to look very good. If the timing's off, drives will not be sustainable and the team's defense is going to spend more time on the field. Besides the injured running backs, JC was down at least three starters on defense as well. Belfry played well and beat the best team that JC could put on the field.

Maybe Belfry would have won the game had both teams been healthy, but I doubt that the game would have been so lop-sided. Either way, the game shows me that Belfry is capable of winning another 3A title this season because the Pirates always improve as much as any team in the state during the course of the season. Belfry seems to be ahead of schedule this year.
Beating Johnson Central does not mean a thing. They are not a barometer for any teams future success. Blaming a loss on injuries is weak. All teams have injured players. I stand by my statement, “ JC may not win another game this year”. Unless they play TCU.
[-] The following 1 user Likes WinkWinkler's post:
  • HighViz