Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Danville Star Demariah Brown Transfers to Boyle County
Danville has had many Boyle County students in the past transfer in and many of them played sports. Now that the shoe is on the other foot you begin to hear all the negatives about how terrible it is for Danville. The most recent was Owen Barnes who transferred from Boyle to Danville this year and was their best player. It happens everywhere.
lol at some point you just have to realize the game isn’t the same it once was.
But let’s not act like teams have been robbing players from nearby schools for decades. Corbin made a living off it for years. There’s just somebody better at it and expanded there sites to the whole state instead of just the same area.

Say what you want, and these titles and trophies will look awesome in whatever cabinet Boyle ticks them away in, but it’ll never mean as much as it use to.

On a side note, if I were in the tri county area, I’d open a private school, 1A or 2A size, get all the players to come play from Corbin, Whitley, Knox, Laurel, and just win the damn thing every year.
If titles is all it’s about, see how long doing that last before enough crying starts to delegate teams out
(05-03-2023, 08:54 AM)Shogun Wrote:
(05-02-2023, 10:08 PM)ROTC Wrote: Buyer beware with the “Hensley” package.  Kid will be a senior; parents may not be able to wreck Boyle’s program in that time frame.  Did help run off two coaches in three years at MC though……

Just watched his highlights from this past season. Looks like a good player but I'd be interested to know who timed that 4.45 40 that he's got listed on there.
He runs a 4.5 40. Same as Quisenberry 

Brown and Quisenberry both ran 4.5 at EKU last year.
(05-04-2023, 01:08 AM)Footballfan33 Wrote:
(05-03-2023, 08:54 AM)Shogun Wrote:
(05-02-2023, 10:08 PM)ROTC Wrote: Buyer beware with the “Hensley” package.  Kid will be a senior; parents may not be able to wreck Boyle’s program in that time frame.  Did help run off two coaches in three years at MC though……

Just watched his highlights from this past season. Looks like a good player but I'd be interested to know who timed that 4.45 40 that he's got listed on there.
He runs a 4.5 40. Same as Quisenberry 

Brown and Quisenberry both ran 4.5 at EKU last year.

Maybe it's just a difference in on-field v. track speed, but both look faster to me.
(05-04-2023, 12:15 AM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote: lol at some point you just have to realize the game isn’t the same it once was.
But let’s not act like teams have been robbing players from nearby schools for decades. Corbin made a living off it for years. There’s just somebody better at it and expanded there sites to the whole state instead of just the same area.

Say what you want, and these titles and trophies will look awesome in whatever cabinet Boyle ticks them away in, but it’ll never mean as much as it use to.

On a side note, if I were in the tri county area, I’d open a private school, 1A or 2A size, get all the players to come play from Corbin, Whitley, Knox, Laurel, and just win the damn thing every year.
If titles is all it’s about, see how long doing that last before enough crying starts to delegate teams out
Sounds like the whining of a sore loser. It means just as much as it did before. People start nonsense like this when it's not their team winning. At the end of the day, it is about the players first and foremost. What do you want Coaches to do? Turn kids away from transferring to their school. No Coach would do that. Coaches cannot force kids to come to their school district. Parents and players willingly move to seek more opportunities. We do it in our daily lives all the time but when it comes to high school players its all of a sudden wrong. Makes no sense. 0 logic in that one. Plus the old ways are dying. This is not the 70s or 80s anymore. If programs would get with the times they might be a little more successful.
[-] The following 3 users Like RunninReb's post:
  • HighViz, Ned Gremlin, Rebel55
(05-03-2023, 09:24 PM)back country Wrote: Danville has had many Boyle County students in the past transfer in and many of them played sports. Now that the shoe is on the other foot you begin to hear all the negatives about how terrible it is for Danville. The most recent was  Owen Barnes who transferred from Boyle to Danville this year and was their best player. It happens everywhere.

This goes for just about everywhere. 

Moco and Clark. 
The Ashland area is non stop with it. 
Go south on 23 and its the same issues.
(05-04-2023, 09:35 AM)RunninReb Wrote:
(05-04-2023, 12:15 AM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote: lol at some point you just have to realize the game isn’t the same it once was.

Sounds like the whining of a sore loser. It means just as much as it did before. People start nonsense like this when it's not their team winning. At the end of the day, it is about the players first and foremost. What do you want Coaches to do? Turn kids away from transferring to their school. No Coach would do that. Coaches cannot force kids to come to their school district. Parents and players willingly move to seek more opportunities. We do it in our daily lives all the time but when it comes to high school players it’s all of a sudden wrong. Makes no sense. 0 logic in that one. Plus the old ways are dying. This is not the 70s or 80s anymore. If programs would get with the times they might be a little more successful.

will you feel the same if it comes out tomorrow that all of boyles stars decided to go to Danville? You’d act like it won’t to save face but you’d be pissed.
and the old ways are dying and that’s the problem. The old ways say if you transfer, you sit a year. The old ways say play in the system you were brought up in as long as you were treated right. 

it’s easy to be okay with it when you’re the benefactor isn’t it?
You think these kids give a damn about Boyle County and winning you a title? If haddix leaves tomorrow, so do they. You’re lying to yourself if you don’t think so. What’s the fun in winning the title every year if you constantly rob players? What’s the point?
I will give you this though. As long as the other schools allow it and continue to schedule you that’s on them.

So call it “whining” all you want, but when it destroys the sport you can be happy playing for conference championships against local schools like middle school ball use to be.
I don’t have a dog in the fight. My kids are grown and I I’m long in the tooth. But I’ll snicker a little when it gets turned on it’s head or somebody else out-boyles Boyle county

And football is only one of many reasons to send your children to Boyle County. Boyle County’s high school and elementary schools have the highest overall performance rating by the Kentucky Department of Education. Boyle Middle has the 2nd highest rating. 
Link to Boyle Schools Report Card
. Every level of Danville Schools have the next to lowest overall performance rating. 
Link to Danville Schools Report Card
. The KDE’s school overall performance rating has five levels - very low, low, medium, high, very high. Boyle high school and elementary are rated Very High, their middle school is rated High. 

Danville High School is rated Low, middle school is rated Low, elementary schools are rated Low. Danville High School is rated Low in Graduation Rate, Postsecondary Readiness, and Quality of School Climate and Safety Survey by the Kentucky Department of Education. 
Link to Danville Schools Accountability Data
. The same three categories for Boyle County High School are all rated High. 
Link to Boyle County Schools Accountability Data

I found out the other day that Boyle now has 16 or 17% of their students from out of district.  I personally didn't know it had gotten that high.  Expected to be close to 20% in a few more years.  It's one of the best districts in the state academically.  Ranks in the top 10 almost every year.  So if they have 5 or 6 football players who move in from out of district, why are the other 150-200 coming to Boyle.  They just built as nice of a softball stadium as you will see anywhere.  New performing arts center at the new middle school.  Tons of administrative support for all out of school activities.  They had the first ever Esports state championship team 3 or 4 years ago.  It's a great school.  So if they have 5 or 6 coming to play football why are the rest coming?  A couple of kids from Danville and one from Garrard hardly constitutes a large part of the state.  I guess they need to set THEIR sites a little broader.
[-] The following 4 users Like BEChargers's post:
  • Bull got out!, Hatz, Rebel55, RunninReb
More like 7 or 8 percent according to the last board meeting are out of district.
(05-04-2023, 11:19 PM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote:

Sounds like the whining of a sore loser. It means just as much as it did before. People start nonsense like this when it's not their team winning. At the end of the day, it is about the players first and foremost. What do you want Coaches to do? Turn kids away from transferring to their school. No Coach would do that. Coaches cannot force kids to come to their school district. Parents and players willingly move to seek more opportunities. We do it in our daily lives all the time but when it comes to high school players it’s all of a sudden wrong. Makes no sense. 0 logic in that one. Plus the old ways are dying. This is not the 70s or 80s anymore. If programs would get with the times they might be a little more successful.

will you feel the same if it comes out tomorrow that all of boyles stars decided to go to Danville? You’d act like it won’t to save face but you’d be pissed.
and the old ways are dying and that’s the problem. The old ways say if you transfer, you sit a year. The old ways say play in the system you were brought up in as long as you were treated right. 

You think these kids give a damn about Boyle County and winning you a title? If haddix leaves tomorrow, so do they. You’re lying to yourself if you don’t think so. What’s the fun in winning the title every year if you constantly rob players? What’s the point?
I will give you this though. As long as the other schools allow it and continue to schedule you that’s on them.

So call it “whining” all you want, but when it destroys the sport you can be happy playing for conference championships against local schools like middle school ball use to be.
I don’t have a dog in the fight. My kids are grown and I I’m long in the tooth. But I’ll snicker a little when it gets turned on it’s head or somebody else out-boyles Boyle county
Your logic is why districts and programs slowly die. The old ways are done. You can sit and whine about the glory days or you can adapt and overcome to make sure you are still relevant. Some districts do that and some do not. As BEChargers stated, students have transferred to Boyle for softball, baseball, the art academy, academics, etc but only a few football guys are the ones that people complain about. Boyle will always stay relevant and kids will always come to Boyle County because of the success it has had traditionally. It was successful before Haddix got to Boyle and I am sure it will be successful after he leaves because the foundation was set and continues to be built. Nice Try though.
[-] The following 3 users Like RunninReb's post:
  • Bull got out!, Hatz, Jack Lambert
Some seem to recall the "sitting out a year" rule.

But I've known of other championship teams from other schools where players didn't sit out.

How many transfers did Highlands have in 2004? It was more than Mike Mitchell, who was declared eligible right away after transferring from Cov Cath.

How many transfers did Belfry have in the same era?

Look, it's always been there. Jeremy Britt transfers in for his last year of HS football and is the main reason the Ads remained relevant in that 1996 - 1999 segment.

As a Boyle graduate and former player, I have no problem with transfers coming into the school system.
I also seem to recall a Danville stud with the name of Dunn that transferred to Boyle but Sam Harp led the charge to keep him ineligible for football. Boyle still won the state that year without him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hatz's post:
  • Gitback Coach
(05-05-2023, 12:19 PM)Hatz Wrote: Some seem to recall the "sitting out a year" rule. 

But I've known of other championship teams from other schools where players didn't sit out.

How many transfers did Highlands have in 2004?  It was more than Mike Mitchell, who was declared eligible right away after transferring from Cov Cath. 

How many transfers did Belfry have in the same era? 

Look, it's always been there.  Jeremy Britt transfers in for his last year of HS football and is the main reason the Ads remained relevant in that 1996 - 1999 segment. 

As a Boyle graduate and former player, I have no problem with transfers coming into the school system. 
I also seem to recall a Danville stud with the name of Dunn that transferred to Boyle but Sam Harp led the charge to keep him ineligible for football.  Boyle still won the state that year without him.
Transfers and players playing at a school while living in a different district have been around as long as the KHSAA has been keeping record books. 

I bet even Lynch East Main had some players wandering their halls from the wrong coal camp back in the day. 

There is nothing new about the rich getting richer, parents putting their kids where thy have the best chance to win, or great players wanting to compete against other great players.

Has the frequency of this changed over the years? Definitely.. I think you can point at numerous factors ranging from FBU, to Social Media, to better roads/accessibility, to the effect of transfers in collegiate sports has matriculated down. The fact is society has changed and imaginary lines that used to define loyalty seem to not matter as much for the sake of success.

Now...

With all that said, I think maybe we can all agree that #BuiltByBoyle may need to be retired soon in exchange for #AssembledInBoyle at this point lol
[-] The following 6 users Like EKUAlum05's post:
  • 64SUR, Bull got out!, Hoot Gibson, KnoxvillesFinest, RunninReb, Walt Longmire
(05-02-2023, 03:12 PM)GoDeepDawg Wrote:
(05-02-2023, 03:00 PM)Waitaminute Wrote:
(05-02-2023, 01:38 PM)GoDeepDawg Wrote:
(05-02-2023, 11:45 AM)Cafe Mocha Wrote:
(05-02-2023, 10:41 AM)GoDeepDawg Wrote: Which one of the state leading rushers transferred there?
I can’t and I won’t say his name, but I’ll tell you this… he’s in the top 6 rusher per game in rushing yards in the state 2022.
If he's transferred and enrolled what's the big secret?

Brady Hensley. He's not in classes yet but it's said he's "set to be accepted". His dad was fired from the coaching staff for Madison Central. So he has to go somewhere.
As long as the kid is happy I don’t care what school he goes to, and neither should any of you. With all the goings on with kids today the fact the kid is staying in school and out of trouble should be all any of us are worried about. Good luck young man….
(05-05-2023, 09:23 AM)RunninReb Wrote:

Your logic is why districts and programs slowly die. The old ways are done. You can sit and whine about the glory days or you can adapt and overcome to make sure you are still relevant. Some districts do that and some do not. As BEChargers stated, students have transferred to Boyle for softball, baseball, the art academy, academics, etc but only a few football guys are the ones that people complain about. Boyle will always stay relevant and kids will always come to Boyle County because of the success it has had traditionally. It was successful before Haddix got to Boyle and I am sure it will be successful after he leaves because the foundation was set and continues to be built. Nice Try though.

who is whining?  I stated facts. the major point is that it will die a slow death going to this aau style play. People will stop showing up. Then old men who still get there rocks off wearing there letterman’s to games where nobody knows who they are won’t have anything to do on Friday nights
(05-05-2023, 11:41 PM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote:

who is whining?  I stated facts. the major point is that it will die a slow death going to this aau style play. People will stop showing up. Then old men who still get there rocks off wearing there letterman’s to games where nobody knows who they are won’t have anything to do on Friday nights
U are looking pretty weak here bro.   Everything changes.  Everything.  Best to change with the times.   Maybe Danville, your school, other schools should take pride in their school and programs so kids won’t wanna move. If I wasn’t an hour and a half away, I’d drive my kid to Be Assembled by Boyle. Wether he would get to play or not he would gain discipline, would work hard, and spend a lot of time around his peers with goals.  Positive goals, not drugs and video games.  Everyone wants to win if they are on a team and you put time and effort into something.  Also, Corbin is great academically, but Danville is better.  Thankfully both schools require kids to participate, pass and attend class. I’d be willing to bet the kids don’t play or practice if they have lower than a C.   What would you rather have? Your child on a 3/8 team that on a program with no chance because they don’t do what it takes, or the opposite? 8/3 and keeps your child playing, practicing at a high level, and being a part of something bigger than them. Maybe if they work hard enuf they can win 4 championships in a row.

If Haddix were to leave tomorrow. I’d hope he came back to the Redhounds. Hah.
[-] The following 2 users Like HighViz's post:
  • 64SUR, Rebel55
Dark days for Danville but they created the storm.
[-] The following 4 users Like Danville Blue Devil's post:
  • BEChargers, Gitback Coach, Hatz, Jack Lambert
(05-06-2023, 12:22 AM)HighViz Wrote:
(05-04-2023, 09:35 AM)RunninReb Wrote: Sounds like the whining of a sore loser. It means just as much as it did before. People start nonsense like this when it's not their team winning. At the end of the day, it is about the players first and foremost. What do you want Coaches to do? Turn kids away from transferring to their school. No Coach would do that. Coaches cannot force kids to come to their school district. Parents and players willingly move to seek more opportunities. We do it in our daily lives all the time but when it comes to high school players it’s all of a sudden wrong. Makes no sense. 0 logic in that one. Plus the old ways are dying. This is not the 70s or 80s anymore. If programs would get with the times they might be a little more successful.

U are looking pretty weak here bro.   Everything changes.  Everything.  Best to change with the times.   Maybe Danville, your school, other schools should take pride in their school and programs so kids won’t wanna move. If I wasn’t an hour and a half away, I’d drive my kid to Be Assembled by Boyle. Wether he would get to play or not he would gain discipline, would work hard, and spend a lot of time around his peers with goals.  Positive goals, not drugs and video games.  Everyone wants to win if they are on a team and you put time and effort into something.  Also, Corbin is great academically, but Danville is better.  Thankfully both schools require kids to participate, pass and attend class. I’d be willing to bet the kids don’t play or practice if they have lower than a C.   What would you rather have? Your child on a 3/8 team that on a program with no chance because they don’t do what it takes, or the opposite? 8/3 and keeps your child playing, practicing at a high level, and being a part of something bigger than them. Maybe if they work hard enuf they can win 4 championships in a row.

If Haddix were to leave tomorrow. I’d hope he came back to the Redhounds.  Hah.
Okay little buddy. Agree to disagree

Yeah you’re right. Who wants to watch a bunch of talent in a small town that has a history of winning championships. Someone take this guys computer.
(05-06-2023, 09:35 PM)We FootballFan1999 Wrote:
(05-04-2023, 09:35 AM)RunninReb Wrote: Sounds like the whining of a sore loser. It means just as much as it did before. People start nonsense like this when it's not their team winning. At the end of the day, it is about the players first and foremost. What do you want Coaches to do? Turn kids away from transferring to their school. No Coach would do that. Coaches cannot force kids to come to their school district. Parents and players willingly move to seek more opportunities. We do it in our daily lives all the time but when it comes to high school players it’s all of a sudden wrong. Makes no sense. 0 logic in that one. Plus the old ways are dying. This is not the 70s or 80s anymore. If programs would get with the times they might be a little more successful.

Yeah you’re right. Who wants to watch a bunch of talent in a small town that has a history of winning championships. Someone take this guys computer.

that’s not the point. The point is if the same schools horde all the good players, the other schools will get to a point that they will not want to play you and then you’ll be stuck with no one to schedule or play against. 
im done with this thread, but I’ll come back in 10 years to it when Boyle is scheduling teams from Canada as an aau team because the KHSAA no longer exist and other teams set up there own organization. Have fun playing bishop sycamore
(05-06-2023, 10:50 PM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote:
(05-06-2023, 09:35 PM)We FootballFan1999 Wrote:
(05-04-2023, 11:19 PM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote: will you feel the same if it comes out tomorrow that all of boyles stars decided to go to Danville? You’d act like it won’t to save face but you’d be pissed.

that’s not the point. The point is if the same schools horde all the good players, the other schools will get to a point that they will not want to play you and then you’ll be stuck with no one to schedule or play against. 
im done with this thread, but I’ll come back in 10 years to it when Boyle is scheduling teams from Canada as an aau team because the KHSAA no longer exist and other teams set up there own organization. Have fun playing bishop sycamore

Big Grin Big Grin
I honestly get what you are saying Knox. But I think it's a little alarmist. If Danville's baseball coach minds his own business and Danville hires a better superintendent, Clevenger never loses his job and the only kid we are talking about is Quisenberry.

Four times in the history of Boyle and Danville, both teams won a state title in the same year. 3 of those times Boyle won the regular season meeting of the two eventual champions. But in 2017 Danville beat Boyle in the regular season before they both won their respective classes. Just 5 seasons ago. The fact that Danville's implosion is happening at the exact same time as an unbelievable run by Boyle is why this is happening the way it is now. Just a perfect storm. But Danville is in a dangerous place with their program. They can't make too many more mistakes or it may be a LONG time before they recover.
[-] The following 2 users Like BEChargers's post:
  • Hatz, KnoxvillesFinest
(05-06-2023, 11:55 PM)BEChargers Wrote: I honestly get what you are saying Knox.  But I think it's a little alarmist.  If Danville's baseball coach minds his own business and Danville hires a better superintendent, Clevenger never loses his job and the only kid we are talking about is Quisenberry. 

Four times in the history of Boyle and Danville, both teams won a state title in the same year.  3 of those times Boyle won the regular season meeting of the two eventual champions.  But in 2017 Danville beat Boyle in the regular season before they both won their respective classes.  Just 5 seasons ago.  The fact that Danville's implosion is happening at the exact same time as an unbelievable run by Boyle is why this is happening the way it is now.  Just a perfect storm.  But Danville is in a dangerous place with their program.  They can't make too many more mistakes or it may be a LONG time before they recover.

Agreed on all points here. Whether Parks is the answer or not, they need to stick with him. Danville is not the attractive destination it once was. Clevenger taking the Somerset job was great for him and will eventually be great for Somerset as well. He seems like the kind of guy to plant roots, and Somerset doesn't like turning over coaches in any sport.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shogun's post:
  • BEChargers
There will be more soon.
How is he able to participate and in pads for spring ball when he hasn’t even enrolled and/ or change of address? I thought RULES are, a program can not talk to another student- athlete enrolled in one school until they enrolled into their school. Wouldn’t that be illegal if that’s the case?
(05-12-2023, 01:28 PM)Cafe Mocha Wrote: How is he able to participate and in pads for spring ball when he hasn’t even enrolled and/ or change of address? I thought RULES are, a program can not talk to another student- athlete enrolled in one school until they enrolled into their school. Wouldn’t that be illegal if that’s the case?
He was enrolled with a change of address before he participated in anything to do with Boyle Co athletics.
[-] The following 1 user Likes GoDeepDawg's post:
  • Hatz

Corbin don’t have to Recruit, kids just wanna come play at Corbin because of great coaching.
(05-21-2023, 10:07 PM)Cowboy42 Wrote:

Corbin don’t have to Recruit, kids just wanna come play at Corbin because of great coaching.
Love the sarcasm.
[-] The following 1 user Likes GoDeepDawg's post:
  • KnoxvillesFinest
(05-22-2023, 10:43 AM)GoDeepDawg Wrote:

Love the sarcasm.

Corbin plays a weak schedule to make them look good and when they play a good team and loose. Championships attract a lot of kids . Boyle will keep getting them every year and doesn't have to recruit.  They are loaded with great coaches.
(05-22-2023, 08:24 PM)True pioneer Wrote:
(05-22-2023, 10:43 AM)GoDeepDawg Wrote:

Love the sarcasm.

Corbin plays a weak schedule to make them look good and when they play a good team and loose. Championships attract a lot of kids . Boyle will keep getting them every year and doesn't have to recruit.  They are loaded with great coaches.

In defense of Corbin, weak schedule or not. Haddix had to bring his A game to win that championship last year. I don’t mind to break down the film with you and show you that Corbin could have won that game. Coaching played a very big factor in the outcome. Corbin had a very talented and tuff team last year and honestly played a heck of a championship game. Nearly won it. Looking at the schedule this year, Corbin plays a good schedule. I think they we’re actually smart in scheduling  Johnson Central and Frederick Douglass. You don’t get much better than those two teams to get you ready for 4A. I understand some doesn’t like Corbin. Like it or not they were a worthy contender last season.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bull got out!'s post:
  • Cowboy42, Hatz