Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Who Are The Blue Bloods?
(12-09-2022, 05:23 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:
(12-09-2022, 05:12 PM)EKUAlum05 Wrote:
(12-09-2022, 04:23 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote: What would be the defining criteria for a blue blood? Some programs like Beechwood, Trinity, and Highlands are obvious but there are several that would be up for debate as well.
I would say it starts with Titles and Finals appearances.

A minimum of 4 or 5 titles and a minimum of 6 or 7 Finals appearances.

To my last post, a bluebood needs to have some older history and consistent history. For example, IMHO 3 Finals over 15 years screams more of consistency than say a team like Fort Campbell who has a run but then long stretches where they fall off.

The history of Finals and Titles then needs a good consistency in between of Regional Titles and sustained success. A team has to stay relevant even if they do have some ebbs in talent pool. Pikeville for a good example... Pikeville was stout for decades and secured several titles and finals over different decades... the Panthers have returned to that level once more over the past decade. Pikeville had some lean years in the 2000's where they were not at a Championship standard like the times that bracketed that stretch, with that said, they were still a relevant program who often won their District, won their Region, and played a relevant schedule.

Danville is going through one of those stretches now... Highlands as well. Even at the lowest point of some of these programs, it still is higher than the high point of numerous other programs.

In my post I mentioned the New Money/New Bloods.

Belfry is a good example. The Pirates were relevant for decades but they didn't get over the Championship hump until the 2000's. Many teams would love to have Belfry's sustained success in the 80's and 90's. With that said, the lack of Titles and limited Finals appearances keeps them blueblood status.
Agree! Found this interesting, these are the top 10 in winning percentage since 2000.

1. Trinty
2. St. X   
3. Male
4. Bowling Green 
5. Highlands
6. Cov. Cath.  
7. Douglass
8. Scott Co.
9. Boyle Co.
10. Manuel
I find it hard to believe mayfield is not in the top 10
[-] The following 2 users Like rookie57's post:
  • Hatz, Humpty Dumpty
(12-10-2022, 02:11 AM)rookie57 Wrote:
(12-09-2022, 05:23 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:
(12-09-2022, 04:23 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote: What would be the defining criteria for a blue blood? Some programs like Beechwood, Trinity, and Highlands are obvious but there are several that would be up for debate as well.

To my last post, a bluebood needs to have some older history and consistent history. For example, IMHO 3 Finals over 15 years screams more of consistency than say a team like Fort Campbell who has a run but then long stretches where they fall off.

The history of Finals and Titles then needs a good consistency in between of Regional Titles and sustained success. A team has to stay relevant even if they do have some ebbs in talent pool. Pikeville for a good example... Pikeville was stout for decades and secured several titles and finals over different decades... the Panthers have returned to that level once more over the past decade. Pikeville had some lean years in the 2000's where they were not at a Championship standard like the times that bracketed that stretch, with that said, they were still a relevant program who often won their District, won their Region, and played a relevant schedule.

Danville is going through one of those stretches now... Highlands as well. Even at the lowest point of some of these programs, it still is higher than the high point of numerous other programs.

Belfry is a good example. The Pirates were relevant for decades but they didn't get over the Championship hump until the 2000's. Many teams would love to have Belfry's sustained success in the 80's and 90's. With that said, the lack of Titles and limited Finals appearances keeps them blueblood status.
Agree! Found this interesting, these are the top 10 in winning percentage since 2000.

1. Trinty
2. St. X   
3. Male
4. Bowling Green 
5. Highlands
6. Cov. Cath.  
7. Douglass
8. Scott Co.
9. Boyle Co.
10. Manuel
I find it hard to believe mayfield is not in the top 10
My first thought also, so I went back and checked they had a couple of six and four lost seasons from 2000-2010
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Daddy Bull's post:
  • rookie57
When I think of blue bloods I think about prolonged success over decades and with more than just 1 head coach.
UK, Kansas and UNC in basketball
Alabama, Norte Dame in football
You can't have 20 blue bloods either. Blue bloods should be the elite of he elite.
Take Belfry for example amazing program with the GOAT at coach but no one else has had sustained success at Belfry.

Trinity, Highlands, Beechwood, St X and Mayfield to me are those that come to mind.

I would consider Boyle, Danville, Cov Cath and Male as the next tier as these programs have had success with more than 1 coach just not to the level as the true blue bloods.
(12-10-2022, 09:19 AM)wolfcat Wrote: When I think of blue bloods I think about prolonged success over decades and with more than just 1 head coach.
You can't have 20 blue bloods either. Blue bloods should be the elite of he elite.
Take Belfry  for example amazing program with the GOAT at coach but no one else has had sustained success at Belfry.

Trinity, Highlands, Beechwood, St X and Mayfield to me are those that come to mind.

I would consider Boyle, Danville, Cov Cath and Male as the next tier as these programs have had success with more than 1 coach just not to the level as the true blue bloods.

So, just count the total number of titles.  

But looking at your last sentence made me think about some things.  Beechwood has, I believe, 17 titles.  I'm think 3 coaches won those with Yeagle being the winner of most of them I think.  Their title span is from 1984 to present.

Danville has won 11 under 4 coaches.  They won in '62 under the old 3 class system.  Fielded outstanding teams that fell short in the next 20 years.  Then began their modern run under Duffy in '84.  

The Ads won AAA (unbeaten) in 1984.  3 Class A titles in '00, '01, '03.  The rest were AA titles. 

Winning in 3 different classes is a pretty sound feat whereas Beechwood and Mayfield have never won above Class AA.  

I think that qualifies them as Blue Blood material for longevity, productivity, and competition adaptability.
(12-09-2022, 04:04 PM)EKUAlum05 Wrote: Think there are some caveats.. Bluebloods to me are those that have that old money who have been doing it before the internet and maybe even color tv

Here's my breakdown:

Bluebloods/Old Money
Trinity
Male
St. Xavier
Highlands
Beechwood
Mayfield
Danville
CovCath
Pikeville

NewCath is old money but they have seen their estate struggle to maintain itself in the new era.

New Money/ New Bloods
These are the programs who are making big moves and dominating the scene but it has been in the past 25-30 years

Belfry
Bowling Green
Boyle County
Central

Start-Up Moguls... these are the programs that have exploded into wealth in the past 10 years but time will tell if they prove to have staying power to become new money.

Johnson Central
South Warren

Then FDU is the king of the “bitcoin” new money aristocracy!
(12-09-2022, 04:04 PM)EKUAlum05 Wrote: Think there are some caveats.. Bluebloods to me are those that have that old money who have been doing it before the internet and maybe even color tv

Here's my breakdown:

Bluebloods/Old Money
Trinity
Male
St. Xavier
Highlands
Beechwood
Mayfield
Danville
CovCath
Pikeville

NewCath is old money but they have seen their estate struggle to maintain itself in the new era.

New Money/ New Bloods
These are the programs who are making big moves and dominating the scene but it has been in the past 25-30 years

Belfry
Bowling Green
Boyle County
Central

Start-Up Moguls... these are the programs that have exploded into wealth in the past 10 years but time will tell if they prove to have staying power to become new money.

Johnson Central
South Warren

Here's my breakdown:

Bluebloods/Old Money
Trinity
Male
St. Xavier
Highlands
Beechwood
Mayfield
Danville
CovCath
Pikeville

New Money/ New Bloods

Belfry
Bowling Green
Boyle County
Central

Johnson Central
South Warren

Lou. Trinity
Ft. Thomas Highlands
Boyle Co.
Beechwood
Danville
Belfry
Pikeville
St. Xavier 
Lou. Male

These teams are the top in the State IMO. The amount of State Titles between these schools is ridiculous.
(12-10-2022, 11:34 AM)Hatz Wrote:
(12-10-2022, 09:19 AM)wolfcat Wrote: When I think of blue bloods I think about prolonged success over decades and with more than just 1 head coach.
Take Belfry  for example amazing program with the GOAT at coach but no one else has had sustained success at Belfry.

But looking at your last sentence made me think about some things.  Beechwood has, I believe, 17 titles.  I'm think 3 coaches won those with Yeagle being the winner of most of them I think.  Their title span is from 1984 to present.

Danville has won 11 under 4 coaches.  They won in '62 under the old 3 class system.  Fielded outstanding teams that fell short in the next 20 years.  Then began their modern run under Duffy in '84.  

The Ads won AAA (unbeaten) in 1984.  3 Class A titles in '00, '01, '03.  The rest were AA titles. 

Winning in 3 different classes is a pretty sound feat whereas Beechwood and Mayfield have never won above Class AA.  

I think that qualifies them as Blue Blood material for longevity, productivity, and competition adaptability.
One can't control what class they are in. To me that doesn't factor into the equation whatsoever. 

As far as Beechwood yes Yeagle won big but Harp won I think 7 of Danville's 11 titles if I'm not mistaken which is 63% of their titles where as Yeagle won 8 of Beechwood's 17 or 47%. 
To ME Danville has a great tradition I would rank them just below the top 5 along with Boyle Co but Harp is the main reason they are even in any conversation.
Of course all this is just MY opinion. To each their own.
I don’t see that it matters what time period you won your titles in it’s all about one thing and that’s winning state championships and that’s the bottom line.

Trinity
Male
Highlands
Beechwood
Bowling Green
Boyle County
Danville
Mayfield
Belfry
ST X

I should have included Covington Catholic on my list.

(12-10-2022, 04:50 PM)Jack Lambert Wrote: I don’t see that it matters what time period you won your titles in it’s all about one thing and that’s winning state championships and that’s the bottom line.

Trinity
Male
Highlands
Beechwood
Bowling Green
Boyle County
Danville
Mayfield
Belfry
ST X

Beechwood titles
Noel Rash has won 8, 5 in 1A and 3 in 2A
Mike Yeagle won 8
Bernie Barre won 1
[-] The following 1 user Likes KentuckyHillBilly5321's post:
  • Hatz
(12-10-2022, 11:44 PM)KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote:

Beechwood titles
Mike Yeagle won 8
Bernie Barre won 1
I was thinking about Beechwood’s run a while back and was wondering what the opinion is about comparing the Rash era teams to the Yeagle teams.  Rash has done what is generally considered very difficult to impossible and that was picking up after a legendary predecessor and matching his success.

I played against Yeagle coached teams and have watched several Rash coached teams and here are my thoughts on both.  The Yeagle teams seemed to have bigger more power oriented teams than the Rash teams.  This makes sense though because the 90’s and early 2000’s was more of a smash mouth style of football whereas the present era is more speed oriented. Both coaches were able to adapt their systems to the style that was common in their era thus achieving successful outcomes.  Both coaches also have very fundamentally sound teams that execute well on the little things.  It will be interesting to see how the next boss in Ft Mitchell carries the torch when the Rash era comes to an end.
(12-09-2022, 01:41 PM)Jarons Wrote:
(12-09-2022, 12:47 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: Some off the top of my head:
Trinity
Highlands
Boyle Co.
St. X
Male
Pikeville
Beechwood
Mayfield
Ashland
Bowling Green

Ashland?  They have two titles since the invention of color TV.  Much of their success has come from being a big fish in a small pond.

If Ashland is a Blue Blood then Russell is a Blue blood. Much of Ashland's success like Jaron's said comes from being in the biggest city in NEKY(21,476).
(12-11-2022, 12:09 AM)Orange Blaze Wrote:

Beechwood titles
Mike Yeagle won 8
Bernie Barre won 1
I was thinking about Beechwood’s run a while back and was wondering what the opinion is about comparing the Rash era teams to the Yeagle teams.  Rash has done what is generally considered very difficult to impossible and that was picking up after a legendary predecessor and matching his success.

I played against Yeagle coached teams and have watched several Rash coached teams and here are my thoughts on both.  The Yeagle teams seemed to have bigger more power oriented teams than the Rash teams.  This makes sense though because the 90’s and early 2000’s was more of a smash mouth style of football whereas the present era is more speed oriented. Both coaches were able to adapt their systems to the style that was common in their era thus achieving successful outcomes.  Both coaches also have very fundamentally sound teams that execute well on the little things.  It will be interesting to see how the next boss in Ft Mitchell carries the torch when the Rash era comes to an end.

Obviously both eras were/are very successful. IMO the Rash era has been more impressive, because the last 3 titles have been in 2A. I know we have 6 classes now and we had 4 classes back in the 90’s, but football has changed so much in the last 15 years with all of the spread offenses and RPO’s. Back in the 90’s and early 2000’s everyone had at least 2 backs in the back field and sometimes 3 backs. Rash has been the D Coordinator at Beechwood since 2002 and he has adapted well to the changes in the game. He also righted the ship after a couple of down years by Beechwood standards, and has ripped off 6 titles in the last 7 years and 7 title appearances in the last 8 years, which is on pace with Yeagle’s early run. I’ll also add, that Yeagle’s last title in 2004, he had little to do with that title, that team was run by the assistant coaches, and I’ll just leave it at that.
Both eras very successful, but IMO Rash has had more staying power.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KentuckyHillBilly5321's post:
  • Orange Blaze
(12-11-2022, 01:35 AM)KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote:
(12-11-2022, 12:09 AM)Orange Blaze Wrote:

Beechwood titles
Mike Yeagle won 8
Bernie Barre won 1

Obviously both eras were/are very successful. IMO the Rash era has been more impressive, because the last 3 titles have been in 2A. I know we have 6 classes now and we had 4 classes back in the 90’s, but football has changed so much in the last 15 years with all of the spread offenses and RPO’s. Back in the 90’s and early 2000’s everyone had at least 2 backs in the back field and sometimes 3 backs. Rash has been the D Coordinator at Beechwood since 2002 and he has adapted well to the changes in the game. He also righted the ship after a couple of down years by Beechwood standards, and has ripped off 6 titles in the last 7 years and 7 title appearances in the last 8 years, which is on pace with Yeagle’s early run. I’ll also add, that Yeagle’s last title in 2004, he had little to do with that title, that team was run by the assistant coaches, and I’ll just leave it at that.
Both eras very successful, but IMO Rash has had more staying power.
For the most part I agree but I can’t say Rash’s past 3 titles in 2A trump a any of Yeagle’s 1A titles because 2A is basically the old 1A now and the past 3 championships in 2A would have been the 1A championship game in the 90’s and early 2000’s.  Also the 3peat from 2016-2018 came against a pretty weak Class A and that needs to be considered as well when comparing legacies.  Rash did win in 2007 & 2008 aginast a much tougher 1A though.  When it is all said and done, I think Yeagle’s era will be considered to be the better one because the level of competition was stronger throughout the duration of his career.  That being what Rash has done is very impressive and he is very close to Yeagle in terms of greatness.

That being said, I was only talking about X’s and O’s and there will some that will argue that Yeagle tarnished his legacy towards the end of his career because of issues that don’t need to be discussed in this forum. For those reasons, Rash very well may be remembered as the better coach when it’s all said and done.
To be a blue blood you Absolutely have to have the HARDWARE, period …….
TRINITY 
HIGHLANDS 
BEECHWOOD 
ST.X
MAYFIELD 
BOYLE 

danville was on this list but they have been moved to the guest house. Boyle needed more room….

Lots of GREAT programs and coaches around the state but it all comes down to the HARDWARE…..
[-] The following 1 user Likes Deuce8's post:
  • rookie57
Idk if Pikeville is there yet to be considered a Kentucky or Duke of Kentucky football but I guarantee they’ll be there by the time Coach Mac’s tenure is up.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(12-11-2022, 03:24 PM)Spud6 Wrote: Idk if Pikeville is there yet to be considered a Kentucky or Duke of Kentucky football but I guarantee they’ll be there by the time Coach Mac’s tenure is up.
I would say Pikeville is like Clemson or Georgia.  They are elite but not Alabama (Highlands or Trinity in this case) elite.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orange Blaze's post:
  • Spud6
(12-10-2022, 04:39 PM)wolfcat Wrote:

One can't control what class they are in. To me that doesn't factor into the equation whatsoever. 

As far as Beechwood yes Yeagle won big but Harp won I think 7 of Danville's 11 titles if I'm not mistaken which is 63% of their titles where as Yeagle won 8 of Beechwood's 17 or 47%. 
To ME Danville has a great tradition I would rank them just below the top 5 along with Boyle Co but Harp is the main reason they are even in any conversation.
Bernie Barre, Mike Yeagle and Noel Rash are the three coaches who have won state titles for Beechwood. Barre has one title. He was the coach for the first title in 1984. Mike Yeagle and Noel Rash each have 8.
(12-10-2022, 09:19 AM)I’m wolfcat Wrote: When I think of blue bloods I think about prolonged success over decades and with more than just 1 head coach.

You can’t compare Blue Blood HS programs with BlueBlood College programs.  HS coaches have no control over enrollment, facilities, talent, etc etc.   Leaving Belfry out because they have had 1 Coach, 8 Championships, 15 or 16 appearances…..is comical at best.   But since you’re not on the “official BlueBlood board of directors” we’ll let it slide.    Big Grin
(12-09-2022, 05:23 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:

1. Trinty
2. St. X   
3. Male
4. Bowling Green 
5. Highlands
6. Cov. Cath.  
7. Douglass
8. Scott Co.
9. Boyle Co.
10. Manuel

That is an impressive list what is even more astounding is Douglass in their 6 years of existence is they are 70-9 which is a .886 winning percentage and they are only 7th.
(12-10-2022, 04:11 PM)BelfryPride Wrote: Lou. Trinity
Ft. Thomas Highlands
Boyle Co.
Beechwood
Danville
Belfry
Pikeville
St. Xavier 
Lou. Male

These teams are the top in the State IMO. The amount of State Titles between these schools is ridiculous.

Any list that doesn't have Mayfield on it is laughable.
[-] The following 8 users Like Mayfieldsportsfan's post:
  • BEChargers, Big Daddy Bull, Deuce8, Hatz, Humpty Dumpty, jetpilot, Shogun, wolfcat
I think it has to come down to how many State Titles + Title appearances over time. I suppose you could count Final 4s like College basketball but Finals appearances is a better measure of who was able to get to that last round.

Also, we have to consider that everybody is not on level ground in terms of how they attract/recruit/retain STUDENTS who also play a sport. It really is unfair but that's a different thread which gets beaten like a dead horse.

Regardless of how they get there... These teams are always there.

BIG schools - T & X then Male. Manual is up there in all time wins but not so much in state appearances.

Next tier - BG & Highlands & Cov Cath then Boyle and Central (Last 20 years crazy good compared to the 100 before)
Smaller but not small schools - Owensboro, Danville, P Tilghman
Small schools - Pikeville, Mayfield, Beechwood, Ashland, Somerset

You have some upstarts like Douglass and South Warren who will likely add to this list.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Runnin' Clock's post:
  • Deuce8
To ME Danville has a great tradition I would rank them just below the top 5 along with Boyle Co but Harp is the main reason they are even in any conversation.

Harp did win most of the titles for the Ads BUT, Tom Duffy took them to the state wide level prior to Harp.

He went 13-0 and won AAA in 1984. Lost in the AAA semi-finals at Belfry by a TD in '86.

Won AA in '87 while going 14-1 with their only loss to ST. Xavier.

Duffy was only there from '80-'87. Judging from his two more titles following that stent at Ft Thomas, I'd say Duffy would have added just as many to the trophy case as Harp.

So I don't think it's accurate to only credit Harp with the Danville legacy of titles.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hatz's post:
  • Rebel55
As far as whose resume is more impressive between Yeagle and Rash I would give the slight edge to Yeagle simply because he won when there was only 4 classes. When Yeagle was dominant look at some of the programs in 1a. Harrisburg with the Johnson's and Craig Yeast, Bardstown had some good teams, Middlesboro was awesome in the late 90s,of course Mayfield, Pikeville, NCC just to name a few. 1a, like all classes were when we only had 4, was a murderers row. The classes today just don't stack up. Not taking anything from Rash he could coach my team anytime.
[-] The following 2 users Like wolfcat's post:
  • Sportsfan4646, Westside
Highlands had some mythical in the 1950s
(12-12-2022, 12:07 PM)Mayfieldsportsfan Wrote:
Ft. Thomas Highlands
Boyle Co.
Beechwood
Danville
Belfry
Pikeville
St. Xavier 
Lou. Male

Mayfield has more than 5 of the teams you have listed …… just saying
Can anyone tell me which programs have had at least 3 different coaches win a championship?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Iam4thecats's post:
  • Hatz
(12-12-2022, 08:39 PM)Deuce8 Wrote:
(12-12-2022, 12:07 PM)Mayfieldsportsfan Wrote:
Ft. Thomas Highlands
Boyle Co.
Beechwood
Danville
Belfry
Pikeville
St. Xavier 
Lou. Male

Mayfield has more than 5 of the teams you have listed …… just saying
The more I think about it I think this list should always start with Male, Mayfield, and Highlands due to them being 2nd, 4th, and 5th respectively in all time wins nationally as of the beginning of this season.
(12-12-2022, 08:45 PM)Iam4thecats Wrote: Can anyone tell me which programs have had at least 3 different coaches win a championship?

probably on khsaa.org/football/records

I'd easily say in no order:

Trinity
St X
Male
Highlands
Beechwood
Mayfield
Danville
Boyle

Beechwood titles
Mike Yeagle won 8
Bernie Barre won 1

When Rash retires I can’t wait to see who the Tigers get as their coach. From what I heard before Rash got the job there were coaches from Fla to Cal who applied for the job.

(12-12-2022, 08:45 PM)Iam4thecats Wrote: Can anyone tell me which programs have had at least 3 different coaches win a championship?
Beechwood has! Bernie Barre won the 1st one. Mike Yeagle and Noel Rash each have 8.

(12-12-2022, 02:11 PM)wolfcat Wrote: As far as whose resume is more impressive between Yeagle and Rash I would give the slight edge to Yeagle simply because he won when there was only 4 classes. When Yeagle was dominant look at some of the programs in 1a. Harrisburg with the Johnson's and Craig Yeast, Bardstown had some good teams, Middlesboro was awesome in the late 90s,of course Mayfield, Pikeville, NCC just to name a few. 1a, like all classes were when we only had 4, was a murderers row. The classes today just don't stack up. Not taking anything from Rash he could coach my team anytime.
I played for Coach Yeagle. That man could make a grown man cry with his pregame speeches. From what I heard Rash is a very fiery coach as well. Both have of those men have taken the Tigers to new levels.

Beechwood titles
Mike Yeagle won 8
Bernie Barre won 1

Who did you play for and what years were you there?