Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Who Are The Blue Bloods?
Simple question.  What programs do you consider to be the blue bloods in Kentucky?
Some off the top of my head:
Trinity
Highlands
Boyle Co.
St. X
Male
Pikeville
Beechwood
Mayfield
Ashland
Bowling Green
Belfry and Danville come to mind.
[-] The following 3 users Like Cammando's post:
  • 16BBall Fan, Hatz, Jack Lambert
(12-09-2022, 12:47 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: Some off the top of my head:
Trinity
Highlands
Boyle Co.
St. X
Male
Pikeville
Beechwood
Mayfield
Ashland
Bowling Green

Ashland?  They have two titles since the invention of color TV.  Much of their success has come from being a big fish in a small pond.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[-] The following 4 users Like Jarons's post:
  • Deuce8, Diogenes, Hatz, HurryUp1001
Just to add to the list

Newport Central Catholic
LexCath
Scott County
Bardstown
Trinity
St. X
Mayfield
Highlands
Pikeville
Beechwood
Boyle County
Belfry
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Trinity
St. X
Highlands
Mayfield
Beechwood
Bowling Green
Louisville Male (Most Wins in Ky..)
How many titles are Blue Bloods?

I think it starts with the following:

Trinity
Highlands
Beechwood
Mayfield
Boyle
Danville
St Xavier
Male
Belfry

NCC
Cov Cath
Pikeville

Who else do we talk about and why?
[-] The following 3 users Like Hatz's post:
  • Deuce8, Jack Lambert, Rebel55
(12-09-2022, 01:57 PM)Jarons Wrote: Trinity
St. X
Mayfield
Highlands
Pikeville
Beechwood
Boyle County
Belfry
....and these schools will stay Blue Bloods in my opinion, because none more than likely have to worry about new schools opening up to make them stop being Blue Bloods. Three schools that come to mind that would have definitely been/stayed Blue Bloods if not for that are Shelby Co. Boone Co, and Scott Co., my be more but can't think of any.
(12-09-2022, 01:46 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote: Just to add to the list

Newport Central Catholic
LexCath
Scott County
Bardstown
None of these should make the "blue blood" list.
(12-09-2022, 12:52 PM)Cammando Wrote: Belfry and Danville come to mind.

Yes I agree I had forgot about those two just trying to think real quick.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16BBall Fan's post:
  • Deuce8
Sad not seeing Corbin on any of these lists. I think back in the seventies and early eighties they would have been mentioned by a lot of fans, but not now.

Good ol' boy politics will keep you off the blue blood lists.
[-] The following 2 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • Deuce8, Gitback Coach
Trinity
Highlands
Beechwood
Mayfield
Boyle
Danville
St Xavier
Male
Belfry
Cov Cath
[-] The following 1 user Likes toolaidback's post:
  • Jack Lambert
Think there are some caveats.. Bluebloods to me are those that have that old money who have been doing it before the internet and maybe even color tv

Here's my breakdown:

Bluebloods/Old Money
Trinity
Male
St. Xavier
Highlands
Beechwood
Mayfield
Danville
CovCath
Pikeville

NewCath is old money but they have seen their estate struggle to maintain itself in the new era.

New Money/ New Bloods
These are the programs who are making big moves and dominating the scene but it has been in the past 25-30 years

Belfry
Bowling Green
Boyle County
Central

Start-Up Moguls... these are the programs that have exploded into wealth in the past 10 years but time will tell if they prove to have staying power to become new money.

Johnson Central
South Warren
[-] The following 5 users Like EKUAlum05's post:
  • Diogenes, Hatz, Iam4thecats, Panther Thunder, Rip/Spin
What would be the defining criteria for a blue blood? Some programs like Beechwood, Trinity, and Highlands are obvious but there are several that would be up for debate as well.
(12-09-2022, 04:23 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote: What would be the defining criteria for a blue blood? Some programs like Beechwood, Trinity, and Highlands are obvious but there are several that would be up for debate as well.
I would say it starts with Titles and Finals appearances.

A minimum of 4 or 5 titles and a minimum of 6 or 7 Finals appearances.

To my last post, a bluebood needs to have some older history and consistent history. For example, IMHO 3 Finals over 15 years screams more of consistency than say a team like Fort Campbell who has a run but then long stretches where they fall off.

The history of Finals and Titles then needs a good consistency in between of Regional Titles and sustained success. A team has to stay relevant even if they do have some ebbs in talent pool. Pikeville for a good example... Pikeville was stout for decades and secured several titles and finals over different decades... the Panthers have returned to that level once more over the past decade. Pikeville had some lean years in the 2000's where they were not at a Championship standard like the times that bracketed that stretch, with that said, they were still a relevant program who often won their District, won their Region, and played a relevant schedule.

Danville is going through one of those stretches now... Highlands as well. Even at the lowest point of some of these programs, it still is higher than the high point of numerous other programs.

In my post I mentioned the New Money/New Bloods.

Belfry is a good example. The Pirates were relevant for decades but they didn't get over the Championship hump until the 2000's. Many teams would love to have Belfry's sustained success in the 80's and 90's. With that said, the lack of Titles and limited Finals appearances keeps them blueblood status.
Someone asked about Ashland earlier as well. Corbin another name.

I don't think their Finals and Title success qualifies them for a blueblood or a new blood.

Both programs though certainly have that relevance and history most envy aside from that.

To me... both teams are probably members at the Country Club. but they don't get the exclusive invites and the special parking spaces like some other more prestigious members do. Corbin and Ashland still have to make a reservation, while the Bluebloods are the ones who just show up and get a table.
[-] The following 1 user Likes EKUAlum05's post:
  • Deuce8
(12-09-2022, 05:12 PM)EKUAlum05 Wrote:
(12-09-2022, 04:23 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote: What would be the defining criteria for a blue blood? Some programs like Beechwood, Trinity, and Highlands are obvious but there are several that would be up for debate as well.

To my last post, a bluebood needs to have some older history and consistent history. For example, IMHO 3 Finals over 15 years screams more of consistency than say a team like Fort Campbell who has a run but then long stretches where they fall off.

The history of Finals and Titles then needs a good consistency in between of Regional Titles and sustained success. A team has to stay relevant even if they do have some ebbs in talent pool. Pikeville for a good example... Pikeville was stout for decades and secured several titles and finals over different decades... the Panthers have returned to that level once more over the past decade. Pikeville had some lean years in the 2000's where they were not at a Championship standard like the times that bracketed that stretch, with that said, they were still a relevant program who often won their District, won their Region, and played a relevant schedule.

Danville is going through one of those stretches now... Highlands as well. Even at the lowest point of some of these programs, it still is higher than the high point of numerous other programs.

Belfry is a good example. The Pirates were relevant for decades but they didn't get over the Championship hump until the 2000's. Many teams would love to have Belfry's sustained success in the 80's and 90's. With that said, the lack of Titles and limited Finals appearances keeps them blueblood status.
Agree! Found this interesting, these are the top 10 in winning percentage since 2000.

1. Trinty
2. St. X   
3. Male
4. Bowling Green 
5. Highlands
6. Cov. Cath.  
7. Douglass
8. Scott Co.
9. Boyle Co.
10. Manuel
I would say a program needs to have success over a long period of time and have multiple title winning coaches to be considered a blue blood. For me this is the main difference in a team like Boyle County who would I would consider a blue blood, and a team like Belfry, who I'm 50-50 on.
(12-09-2022, 05:50 PM)Shogun Wrote: I would say a program needs to have success over a long period of time and have multiple title winning coaches to be considered a blue blood. For me this is the main difference in a team like Boyle County who would I would consider a blue blood, and a team like Belfry, who I'm 50-50 on.
Boyle County's history before the early 2000's is what keeps them from Blueblood status but makes them the richest of the New Bloods.

Boyle is kind of like Amazon or Google.
(12-09-2022, 05:50 PM)Shogun Wrote: I would say a program needs to have success over a long period of time and have multiple title winning coaches to be considered a blue blood. For me this is the main difference in a team like Boyle County who would I would consider a blue blood, and a team like Belfry, who I'm 50-50 on.
Boyle's success though is basically right around 2000 and on.

To me this makes them the richest of the new bloods...

They are like a Google or Amazon. A blueblood would be more like a GE... that's a Trinity or Male type of team.

Frederick Douglas is like Twitter. It got big and strong in a hurry, but all it takes is one big change and that all could change in a hurry.
[-] The following 1 user Likes EKUAlum05's post:
  • Bull got out!
(12-09-2022, 01:41 PM)Jarons Wrote:
(12-09-2022, 12:47 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: Some off the top of my head:
Trinity
Highlands
Boyle Co.
St. X
Male
Pikeville
Beechwood
Mayfield
Ashland
Bowling Green

Ashland?  They have two titles since the invention of color TV.  Much of their success has come from being a big fish in a small pond.
And don’t forget they will calm any state championship in any year that no other team has claimed. They open every season with the unveiling of at least two new titles haha. In. 1644 there was no state champion ….it will be theirs soon hahaha
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • Jarons
(12-09-2022, 05:57 PM)EKUAlum05 Wrote:
Boyle's success though is basically right around 2000 and on.

To me this makes them the richest of the new bloods...

They are like a Google or Amazon. A blueblood would be more like a GE... that's a Trinity or Male type of team.

Frederick Douglas is like Twitter. It got big and strong in a hurry, but all it takes is one big change and that all could change in a hurry.

They are in the last half of the current playoff era, but I still think the sustained success under multiple coaches, and the outlook for the future of the program bumps them up into the blue blood category.

Say we back date to teams that have had to have sustained success for at least the last 2/3rds of the playoff era though, and I guess my list would go something like this:

Trinity
Highlands
Mayfield
Beechwood
Danville
St. Xavier

Bump it up to half of the playoff era and I'd include teams like Pikeville, Covington Catholic, Boyle County, Bowling Green and probably Belfry.
In all reality Boyle should have won their sixth in a row this season. Talk about Blue Blood! Should’ve won 2018 and 2019. But that’s why games aren’t played on paper.

How about "mythical" titles. We have a couple of those.  Do they count?   LOL After forty years of wandering in the barren championship desert, I would gladly accept another mythical one.
(12-09-2022, 08:21 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

How about "mythical" titles. We have a couple of those.  Do they count?   LOL  After forty years of wandering in the barren championship desert, I would  gladly accept another mythical one.
Ashland has a ton of "mythical" titles.  They count them all.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boyle
Johnson Central
Corbin
Trinity
Saint X
Louisville Central
Danville (Until Recently)
Lexington Catholic
Male

Any others I might Be Missing
(12-09-2022, 05:55 PM)EKUAlum05 Wrote:
Boyle County's history before the early 2000's is what keeps them from Blueblood status but makes them the richest of the New Bloods.

Boyle is kind of like Amazon or Google.

As a Rebel alum, I hear that a lot. 

But Boyle had success before the 90’s. 

Cases in point:
1963, first season went 9-0.

1965 Rebels make playoffs first time and lose 13-7 in runner up My Old Kentucky Home. 

1970 Boyle goes 9-1-1 but don’t have enough Dickinson points to go to post season. 

1975 set a still standing record of fewest passing yards given up in a season while going 9-2

1976 goes 10-2 with wins over Harrodsburg n Henry Clay 

1977 8-3 with a District Title. Lost to Defending Champ Corbin in Regional. 

1979 9-1 but one loss kept them out of playoffs despite wins over AA semifinal Washington County & AAA playoff Lincoln County. Also add wins over Harrodsburg, Somerset and Danville 

1982 8-2 lost in Regional to eventual champ Corbin. 

As you can see, it’s not like Boyle didn’t have some success prior to 1993.
LexCath???
[-] The following 1 user Likes BEChargers's post:
  • Bull got out!
Uk,Duke,North Carolina…….. just saying lol…