Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell JFL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
plantmanky Wrote:Ok, so do parents sit on the board? Does the high school in anyway have any say on this feeder league? (im outside of this so I dont know the ins and outs.)

The Russell JFL is not funded by or controlled by the school system in any way. There is cooperative relationship between the school, the high school football program and the JFL.
Everyone can say what they want, but this was all a product of daddy's wanting to live vicariously though their children. Fullfilling some need from their own childhood. I also think that parents should not be allowed to be head coach and coach their own child. If we took that possiblity away, would this still be an issue??? Just things to ponder.

If you bash a parent for moving their child for sports, are you bashing the entire JFL for this move with the program, say what you will, at the end of the day we all know why it was done? It seems along the same lines, moving a child to a different school, or uprooting an entire program???

Also to say that Raceland is the 3rd or 4th in academics behind Russell???? I would like to see the statistics for that. I do believe that Russell is a top contender in academics, I also believe however a smaller class size will serve some children better than others, which Raceland would have. We all as parents I would hope want whats best for our children, but let's not hurt each other in the process. Their is life beyond football.
Yes, no matter what you may think you know it would still be an issue.
I think Russell's whole JFL should transfer to Raceland.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:I think Russell's whole JFL should transfer to Raceland.

You're killing me.
FBALL Wrote:You're killing me.

Just trying to make light of your situation. we go through the same thing down here. last year we had a couple of idiots swinging at each other at a 2nd grade game. They didn't get enough of each other so they decided to do it again at one of our varsity games. It's stupid but, it makes for good entertainment.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Just trying to make light of your situation. we go through the same thing down here. last year we had a couple of idiots swinging at each other at a 2nd grade game. They didn't get enough of each other so they decided to do it again at one of our varsity games. It's stupid but, it makes for good entertainment.

I know you're just messing around and having some fun with it. The good news is soon they will start playing football and all of this political crap should die down.

You're still killing me though.

Come on up and watch that first game with me. We can go get a triple bypass burger before the game. Extra salt.
Agree that the Wing-T is very basic. But the important thing is PERFECT EXECUTION.
If you have a player that is suppose to block down or kick out and fails to do so. It falls apart. If your gaurd forgets to pull or pulls the wrong way. It falls apart. If the double team fails to seal the hole. It falls apart. If both guards forget to pull or pull the wrong way or pull towards each other . It falls apart. If your FB does not seal the hole where the guard is suppose to pull from. It falls apart. If your QB does not step right. It falls apart. We can go on with this. I believe I've read this on other post that the High school program should adapt to there players. So why shouldn't the Middle school. Just sometimes maybe the players just don't pay attention, or just won't execute. So this 5 minute class of the Wing-T works great when your a parent watching from the stands. :devilflam:devilflam:devilflam
pitchfork Wrote:Agree that the Wing-T is very basic. But the important thing is PERFECT EXECUTION.
If you have a player that is suppose to block down or kick out and fails to do so. It falls apart. If your gaurd forgets to pull or pulls the wrong way. It falls apart. If the double team fails to seal the hole. It falls apart. If both guards forget to pull or pull the wrong way or pull towards each other . It falls apart. If your FB does not seal the hole where the guard is suppose to pull from. It falls apart. If your QB does not step right. It falls apart. We can go on with this. I believe I've read this on other post that the High school program should adapt to there players. So why shouldn't the Middle school. Just sometimes maybe the players just don't pay attention, or just won't execute. So this 5 minute class of the Wing-T works great when your a parent watching from the stands. :devilflam:devilflam:devilflam
Yes it does take practice and execution. Now you are blaming the players for not getting it or not paying attention. Well it is a coaches job to make sure that the players get it and that the players pay attention. It is a coaches job to relate to his players and figure out a way to get the best out of each and every one of them. That is not an easy thing to do. Every kid has a different personality. A good coach would never blame his players and whine about them. A good coach would figure out a way to maximize their potential.

I know a few of those parents in the stands that are very qualified coaches. Some have in the past and some are currently coaching on the high school level. I'm confident that that five minute lesson would translate to the field. I never said it would only take five minutes to get the players to execute it. That is a coaches most difficult job. If a coach doesn't feel he can get that out of his players, that person shouldn't be coaching IMO.
I remember pulling into the other guard on 2 occasions in my high school career so I guess that would rule me out because that is ugly to watch. LOL
KYstraydog Wrote:I remember pulling into the other guard on 2 occasions in my high school career so I guess that would rule me out because that is ugly to watch. LOL

It happened to me once. I pulled the right way though. It doesn't work too well when both gaurds meet head to head behind the center. It does confuse the linebackers when making their reads though.
Hey Ram-a-Devil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2 more to the darkside................Sad
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Hey Ram-a-Devil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2 more to the darkside................Sad

Who?
no names
Never heard of that kid...Oh wait does he have a sister named "Nunya Bizness"? LOL Just teasing
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Hey Ram-a-Devil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2 more to the darkside................Sad

GREAT!!! My diabolical plan is working.
If anybody else is coming over to the darkside they better hurry. The 7th grade class down here has over a 100 kids in it.....The largest single class to ever go through Raceland. The principal said after 3 or four more kids he is going to cut off the transfer pipeline.
FBALL Wrote:It happened to me once. I pulled the right way though. It doesn't work too well when both gaurds meet head to head behind the center. It does confuse the linebackers when making their reads though.

Wow!! That was a long time ago though. wasn't Knute Rockne your coach?
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Wow!! That was a long time ago though. wasn't Knute Rockne your coach?

Nope, it was still Ivan way back then. But I think Knute was still coaching at that time.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:If anybody else is coming over to the darkside they better hurry. The 7th grade class down here has over a 100 kids in it.....The largest single class to ever go through Raceland. The principal said after 3 or four more kids he is going to cut off the transfer pipeline.

Raceland will never cut off the transfer pipeline. That is how they have survived for the last 25 years. I would love to see them line up with their own kids in just one sport and see how they would fare. They take all the disgruntled kids and parents and somehow transform them. :Clap:
Fred Sanford Wrote:Raceland will never cut off the transfer pipeline. That is how they have survived for the last 25 years. I would love to see them line up with their own kids in just one sport and see how they would fare. They take all the disgruntled kids and parents and somehow transform them. :Clap:

I didn't say it was cutoff cmpletely. I said it would be cut off for the incoming 7th grade class. They have over a 100 kids in that class. most of the classes have about 60-65 in them. We transform them.......That should tell you something about the coaching staff and the school itself.
What have you won with all these great transfers? Oh you can sneak out a win over some of the area teams once in a while, but if thats all you have to hang your hat on more power to you, whatever it takes to make you feel good.
I did hear the 7th grade class is pretty full. I heard today they are almost at 100. I have children at both schools and as far as education goes they both have great quality and as far as sports go I do believe Raceland won a few football games this past year????? I don't believe that all transfers are disgruntled paretns either.
mightydog Wrote:What have you won with all these great transfers? Oh you can sneak out a win over some of the area teams once in a while, but if thats all you have to hang your hat on more power to you, whatever it takes to make you feel good.

Well.....Mightyhog I'm sorry that we are not in the power district:notworthy that you guys are in. :notworthy 3 in a row over Ashland is not sneaking out a win. 2 in a row over Russell after this year is not sneaking out a win either. sneaking out a win would be like the last time Russell beat Ironton:eyeroll:
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Well.....Mightyhog I'm sorry that we are not in the power district:notworthy that you guys are in. :notworthy 3 in a row over Ashland is not sneaking out a win. 2 in a row over Russell after this year is not sneaking out a win either. sneaking out a win would be like the last time Russell beat Ironton:eyeroll:

I wouldn't count on that 2 in a row yet. You are pretty sneaky though. I don't trust you a bit.
FBALL Wrote:I wouldn't count on that 2 in a row yet. You are pretty sneaky though. I don't trust you a bit.

I wouldn't count on it either. Our potential starting transfer quarterback from Greenup broke his thumb in practice lastnight. his back up is awful. just ask T.J. he'll probably throw up on your shoes.:puking:
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Well.....Mightyhog I'm sorry that we are not in the power district that you guys are in. 3 in a row over Ashland is not sneaking out a win. 2 in a row over Russell after this year is not sneaking out a win either. Sneaking out a win would be like the last time Russell beat Ironton.

To play "Devil's advocate" here:

Raceland has one good team in their district, LCA. Russell has one good team in their district, Mason County. I say the district competition is about even. Fairview, Nicholas County, and Paris do not a "power district" make.

As for overall quality of the programs, here is each team's record since 2000:

2000: Russell 8-4 / Raceland 1-9
2001: Russell 7-5 / Raceland 5-6
2002: Russell 11-3 / Raceland 9-3
2003: Russell 10-3 / Raceland 6-5
2004: Russell 13-1 / Raceland 5-6
2005: Russell 14-1 / Raceland 7-4
2006: Russell 13-2 / Raceland 11-2
2007: Russell 11-2 / Raceland 7-2
2008: Russell 7-5 / Raceland 12-1

Overall records look like this:
Russell (94-26)
Raceland (63-41)

I won't list it here, but Russell went deeper into the playoffs every single year in the decade except for last year when Raceland had the best team they had ever fielded. Of course, you know about Russell's state title in 2005, state runner-up in 2006, and state semi-final appearances as well. Raceland has yet to even make it to the state semi-finals.

Granted, Raceland is evidently looking like a more appealing place to play these days given the numerous Greenup and Russell transfers we keep hearing about, but until they do something in the playoffs, they will always be looked at as a step below Russell.

It's clear they are on the rise lately since Russell grad T.J. Maynard's arrival in 2005 and maybe they will make some noise on a statewide level someday, but Russell is still the historically best team in the county and rivals Ashland as the elite football program in our area.

It is likely that Raceland's recent dominance over Ashland might just come to a screeching halt this year as well. I'll give you the fact that Raceland will be competitive with this year's Russell team, but a win there is no guarantee either.

I can understand why Greenup players would transfer to Raceland. I can't understand why Russell players would transfer to Raceland.
I will give Raceland credit, you make a mean burger at your joint. This breaking news just in.The hamburger used at Raceland games, has been found to have been transfered in from Russell.
Little Brother has gotten better but still a step below.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:I didn't say it was cutoff cmpletely. I said it would be cut off for the incoming 7th grade class. They have over a 100 kids in that class. most of the classes have about 60-65 in them. We transform them.......That should tell you something about the coaching staff and the school itself.

They do have a quality coaching staff, but don't start comparing schools and academic quality. That is apples and oranges brother.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9