Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Somerset 29 Breathitt Co. 26
I would like to know why the Briar Jumpers didn't get more unsportsmanlike conduct calls? Seems like every minute or two the announcers on the radio said that the Somerset coaches and players were punching or slapping the Bobcat players or screaming at the refs. At one point the radio announcers said that they thought one of the coaches should have gotten ejected.

Even at the end they mentioned some Briar Jumper had a Bobcat player in a headlock and not one flag was thrown. This happened at 19 secs to go. The announcers just couldn't believe it. They stopped play calling and just started reading stats.

I listened to the whole game and the refs sounded like they were calling like that all game long. So I wouldn't say anything bad about the refs, Briar Jumpers. I think they were on your side Smile

Did anyone notice how Somerset didn't get one horse collar penalty but yet tackled at and above the shoulders all game?

The announcers said Breathitt showed great class against this team. I remember the announcers saying that a Bobcat player helped the QB up after sacking him and patting him on the head haha!

BUT ANYWAY.......great game for the Bobcats. I'm very proud! Can't wait till next year. Very well coached, well disciplined team this year, just can't imagine next......
jdnoble18 Wrote:I would like to know why the Briar Jumpers didn't get more unsportsmanlike conduct calls? Seems like every minute or two the announcers on the radio said that the Somerset coaches and players were punching or slapping the Bobcat players or screaming at the refs. At one point the radio announcers said that they thought one of the coaches should have gotten ejected.

Even at the end they mentioned some Briar Jumper had a Bobcat player in a headlock and not one flag was thrown. This happened at 19 secs to go. The announcers just couldn't believe it. They stopped play calling and just started reading stats.

I listened to the whole game and the refs sounded like they were calling like that all game long. So I wouldn't say anything bad about the refs, Briar Jumpers. I think they were on your side Smile

Did anyone notice how Somerset didn't get one horse collar penalty but yet tackled at and above the shoulders all game?

The announcers said Breathitt showed great class against this team. I remember the announcers saying that a Bobcat player helped the QB up after sacking him and patting him on the head haha!

BUT ANYWAY.......great game for the Bobcats. I'm very proud! Can't wait till next year. Very well coached, well disciplined team this year, just can't imagine next......

Maybe that is because that was the Breathitt County radio crew. If you'd have listened to the Somerset broadcast it would have been a different story. Somerset's announcers were just as upset at the holding and personal foul penalties that went uncalled on the Bobcats.

I was at the game so I didn't listen to either broadcast. However, I can address a couple of your questions. The reason the Bobcat player was put in a headlock with 19 seconds to go is because the Briar Jumpers were in victory formation and the Breathitt player jumped over the line of scrimmage when our quarterback kneeled to hit one of our players he ende up on the back of the running back that was up near the line to protect the quarterback. The back didn't appreciate a play like that when the game was decided and when the Breathitt player didn't try to roll off of him he decided to remove the nuisance himself.

As for the horse collar calls, there were none that should have been called. Check with a referee for the high school horse collar rule. It is much different from the NFL rule that most people are familiar with. In high school the player has to no only be grabbed above the shoulders, they have to be taken all the way to the ground AND they have to be pulled to the ground backwards. On a lot of these tackles the players are grabbed up high from behind but end up pulling the defender and falling forward. I honestly didn't see a horse collar tackle (by the high school rule) all night. Most high school football fans, announcers included, have any idea how the high school rule is supposed be applied.
that right there goes to show you just how good breathitt county football is....force 6 turnovers and still lose and held scoreless in the second half... how many more chances do they need? the refs gave them an extra 30 yards on the what was supposed to be the game winning drive and they still couldnt come through breathitt had all the chances in the world
Tica Wrote:Sounds like little has changed. Just one more game ...
:yawn:
Congratulations Jumpers! Way to keep fighting and never give up!
Would you guys like some footage?We were on the sideline and videoed at least 8 or 9 unsportsmanlikes.Why did the Jumpers coach pick up number 8 by his pads?Why did 21 punch number 7 in the face while his helmet was off?yes there were 3 horse collars.Why did 26 for Breathitt get pass interference for a clean deflection,then see refs call nothing when the safety for Somerset cut Fletcher's legs from under him before the ball even got there?I got all this on video.Don't tell me on a forum my camera didn't catch it.
djttrbm Wrote:Would you guys like some footage?We were on the sideline and videoed at least 8 or 9 unsportsmanlikes.Why did the Jumpers coach pick up number 8 by his pads?Why did 21 punch number 7 in the face while his helmet was off?yes there were 3 horse collars.Why did 26 for Breathitt get pass interference for a clean deflection,then see refs call nothing when the safety for Somerset cut Fletcher's legs from under him before the ball even got there?I got all this on video.Don't tell me on a forum my camera didn't catch it.

Just like the phantom pass interference call on Somerset's #12 in front of the Breathitt County bench on a perfectly played ball? Or the holds against our defensive ends on the Bobcat's runs that weren't ever called? And there was not one time where a ballcarrier from either team was grabbed around the shoulders and taken backwards all the way to the ground. Look, you can cry all you want about the officiating it just tarnishes a great effort by the Bobcats. Somerset played the worst game they had played since the state finals last season. Breathitt got 6 Somerset turnovers. The game was on Breathitt's field. Somerset received a lot more penalties than the Bobcats. Breathitt played great and had a great gameplan. They had all of that going for them and they still lost. No excuses. The Bobcats had their shot and came up short. Don't try to point the fingers elsewhere or cry about sour grapes. Somerset is a senior dominated team, Breathitt is a sophomore dominated team. When it came down to time to decide the game Somerset stayed cool and Breathitt folded. They'll learn from this and get better but don't get on here and belittle the effort our kids gave by blaming this on the refs. Breathitt had all the advantages and couldn't do it. End of story.

Oh, and yes by the way. If you've got that footage go ahead and post a link. I'd love to see it.
Its high school football guys. You should not expect the refs to make all the calls correctly. I am sure they missed calls, that happens in every game. It just stands out because of the importance of this game. I am proud of my Bobcat and they were beaten because they did not take advantage of multiple chances Somerset gave them by turning the ball over. As for the unsportsmanlike penalties you have proof of, I would submit it to the KHSAA and to Somerset, that crap should not happen.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Guys, quit arguing. I watched the whole game from the press box and penalties or officiating did not cause Breathitt to lose or Somerset to win. The players decided it on the field. We jumped on them early but their experience showed and they were able to get their defense going and pulled out the win. Congrats to Somerset.

There were 2 questionable pass interference calls but one went each way. Somerset got the benefit of one on their first scoring drive and Breathitt got one late.

As far as the unsportsmanlike and personal foul calls you are going to have those when you have an intense game with two good teams giving their all. Sometimes we forget these are just high school kids out there with their emotions sometimes getting the best of them.

And for those saying penalties kept us in it remember we had a long run that would have gave us a first down inside the 20 called back due to a holding call in the last minute. If the refs were trying to give it to us they sure choked that call.

We needed to punch the ball across one more time and couldn't get it done. Things like this happen when you are as young as we are. We will be back next year so the rest of 3A better be ready, the Bobcats have a loaded team coming back.
The coach picked the player up because he was on top of the Somerset player out of bounds punching him. The coach pulled him off and then the same player was punching at the coach as the coach stood there with his hands up. Coach was asking ref to get player off and he just stood there so coach pulled him off.

As Bull stated there are calls all night in every game that get missed. Just as the Breathitt fans think the officials missed calls so do the Somerset fans.

Breathitt played their hearts out last night as did Somerset. Nothing to be ashamed of for either team.

Last year after the game a select few Breathitt fans came on here and complained about the officials. I guess some think that the only way they could ever lose a game is if the refs blow calls against them, otherwise they would be undefeated.

I have nothing but respect for Coach Holcomb and his program and most of their fans....some of the fans not so much.

djttrbm
While you are checking video see which Bobcat threw a gatorade bottle in the crowd and almost hit a little kid in the Somerset section at the end of the game. Or could you check and see who pulled a knife on our video crew and threatened them last night
djttrbm Wrote:Would you guys like some footage?We were on the sideline and videoed at least 8 or 9 unsportsmanlikes.Why did the Jumpers coach pick up number 8 by his pads?Why did 21 punch number 7 in the face while his helmet was off?yes there were 3 horse collars.Why did 26 for Breathitt get pass interference for a clean deflection,then see refs call nothing when the safety for Somerset cut Fletcher's legs from under him before the ball even got there?I got all this on video.Don't tell me on a forum my camera didn't catch it.

D.P. it is over.Get over it.Why come on here and make us all look bad?Both teams got flagged.We got alot of chances to win and couldn't capitalize.We played a great game.The team that scores the most points wins and we scored ZERO in the 2nd half.Good game Somerset.Two determined teams played and one went on.
Jumper Dad Wrote:The coach picked the player up because he was on top of the Somerset player out of bounds punching him. The coach pulled him off and then the same player was punching at the coach as the coach stood there with his hands up. Coach was asking ref to get player off and he just stood there so coach pulled him off.

As Bull stated there are calls all night in every game that get missed. Just as the Breathitt fans think the officials missed calls so do the Somerset fans.

Breathitt played their hearts out last night as did Somerset. Nothing to be ashamed of for either team.

Last year after the game a select few Breathitt fans came on here and complained about the officials. I guess some think that the only way they could ever lose a game is if the refs blow calls against them, otherwise they would be undefeated.

I have nothing but respect for Coach Holcomb and his program and most of their fans....some of the fans not so much.

djttrbm
While you are checking video see which Bobcat threw a gatorade bottle in the crowd and almost hit a little kid in the Somerset section at the end of the game. Or could you check and see who pulled a knife on our video crew and threatened them last night

Ignore the ignorant ones please,as far as someone pulling a knife.I sat up there right in front of the camera crew on the 50 in front of the press box and I have to say I didn't see that.
Okay gang.... this one is being monitored.... Clean it up or it will be closed! Get back to the specifics of the game!!!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
Nvm
Alright guys...get the focus off the penalties/personal fouls you thought should have been called and back on the game. It sounds pretty clear to me that calls were missed both ways.
Somerset 29, Breathitt Co. 26: Breathitt County outgained Somerset 435 yards to 239 and won the turnover battle 6-2, but a 22-yard interception return by Derrick Jackson in the fourth quarter gave the Briar Jumpers the road win.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/11/20/15329...z15sNP3Tq4
Dude,you guys should get a description of the guy with the knife.I definitely am not cool with that.Trash talking is one thing,that's serious stuff.Someone should report that to the authorities.
Stardust Wrote:Somerset 29, Breathitt Co. 26: Breathitt County outgained Somerset 435 yards to 239 and won the turnover battle 6-2, but a 22-yard interception return by Derrick Jackson in the fourth quarter gave the Briar Jumpers the road win.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/11/20/15329...z15sNP3Tq4

I would look at the game tape from this one if I were Belfry. Sounds like Breathitt did something right holding that offense to 239 yards.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

I was pulling for Breathitt in this one. I was hoping they would pull away with a W. They played a good game.
But congrats to Somerset.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:I would look at the game tape from this one if I were Belfry. Sounds like Breathitt did something right holding that offense to 239 yards.

Breathitt didn't do anything special, they just have a bunch of really good ball players that made plays for them all night. They play good fundemental ball and SHS help out by turning over the ball as much as they did. BC did force half of the turnovers with good play by their D.
Good season Breathitt you lose 3 seniors that played all on line. i would be happy to say good sportmanship on both sides but i cant i know a couple of times the running back for breathitts helmet was ripped off and punched and the players was taunting a coach. There where a few missed calls on both sides. Somerset had not been hit like that all year is why they had turnovers. Breathitt was marching down the field then a holding call brought it back to the 50. alot of things could of went diffrent. Bobcats will be Great next year and somerset better watch out Belfy hits hard like Breathitt and has just as many fans if not more.
Big game big plays big heart from both teams but bigger from Somerset even with total unfair calls from the refs Somerset came out ahead, great play from Bastin on the 4th down stop with 3 mins left, if the Bobcats had scored Jumpers would have been finished
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:I would look at the game tape from this one if I were Belfry. Sounds like Breathitt did something right holding that offense to 239 yards.

Honestly the play calling wasn't that great, I think even Coach Luc would admit to that. The middle of the field was ripe for the picking all night long and we kept trying to attack the edges for some reason. All of Somerset's big gains came on runs or passes up the middle of the field. Breathitt did defend the pass pretty good but the plays we were calling were making it easier for their gameplan.
Sounds like Somerset finally had to play a tough team and struggled. It ain't going to get any easier. I have thought that Somerset would win all along but also thought that a weak schedule could hurt them in the playoffs. Good luck though Somerset.
I certainly have mixed emotions regarding tough schedules, for when a coach schedules teams completely out of their class, week after week, it definitely can backfire. They could accomplish a beaten-up team, a team that has lost its confidence, and therefore unable to compete in its own class.

On the other hand, a "cream puff" schedule is another story. Obviously what is needed is a balanced schedule, competitive but not completely out of its class.
The Contrarian Wrote:I certainly have mixed emotions regarding tough schedules, for when a coach schedules teams completely out of their class, week after week, it definitely can backfire. They could accomplish a beaten-up team, a team that has lost its confidence, and therefore unable to compete in its own class.

On the other hand, a "cream puff" schedule is another story. Obviously what is needed is a balanced schedule, competitive but not completely out of its class.

It is a delicate balance that also depends directly with the psychological makeup of your team, and in recent years the economic impact plays a role.

I always subscribed to the 30-30-40 Theory. 30% of your schedule should be teams that you will definitely expect to beat handily (build confidence), 30% are teams you will be the underdog against (to force improvement and challenge), and the other 40% are "tossup" games where either your team is a very slight favorite or slight underdog.

This can be tweaked depending on the team though. The makeup of a schedule may very depending on if it is a young (may need more confidence) or veteran team (may need more challenge), if you are trying to "build" a program (more winnable games to encourage more participation) or if you have a powerhouse team.
Congrats Summerset
Very surpised by this game seen the Bobcats play week 1 in Campbellsville and really wasn't impressed at all. Coach holcomb and the guys must have really turned things around and gave the Brair Jumpers all they wanted. 3A will be better than before but if I'm not mistaken I think Somerset will drop down to 2A not 100% sure though
Somerset beat a team that is in the 2A semifinals by 3+ touchdowns, and a team that nearly beat Breathitt by 5 touchdowns. Maybe their schedule just doesn't look as good because all of the teams on it had to play Somerset. It's not really like there are a hundred teams that Somerset can play in the Lake Cumberland area, honestly it's probably one of if not the weakest area talent wise in the state. I mean you've got PC, SW, and Somerset but after that your next closest competitive team would be I guess Whitley Co. Next year will be better because our district is tougher, but honestly unless Somerset moves a hundred miles West, East, or North, I don't see the non-district getting that much more interesting.
this was a good game....breathitt played well...Somerset is overrated we shall fight back next year Bobcats....but i have to say that was the closest 50 point blow out i have ever seen...i thought Somerset was going to have this high powered O and was shocked to watch the turnovers fly...everybody was saying breathitts secondary was weak...they didnt look weak to me with the 5 picks i counted, and the 2 FF...Breathitt had a lot of turnover on downs when they were in field goal range...if breathitt had a kicker that game wouldve went into OT with a 28 tie. which wouldve made this game so much better...and just one O mistake by breathitt caused them the game...i loved watching this game...even though fights couldve broke out anytime due to the fans...i'm glad the Breathitt Co. fan base held it together even after somerset running their mouths...way to be good sports.....Next year we will be ready....GO BOBCATS