Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should 8th graders play on the high school team?
Also, actually, Pikeville is the only school system I can think of right off hand that has the middle school and high school together....
I see your point BBallonlyfan. KHSAA and their rules/bylaws require an attorney to interpret. I sometimes wonder what particular situation caused certain bylaws to evolve.
A few years ago a student at Allen Grade School played for ACHS during her 8th grade year. She never attended ACHS and she went on to play for a Pike County School as a freshmen. Apparently depending on where your live- Allen Grade school is considered a feeder for PHS, ACHS or BLHS. Also heard that a few years ago Johnny Martin asked Landon SLone to step up and play at ACHS his 8th grade year. As a student at MCA ( a non Floyd County Board of Education school) he was declared ineligible. He went on to play at Paintsville as a freshmen.
I really dont see the big deal honestly do to the fact many high school kids transfer out after their first semester to go some where else to which they are eligable...But oh well i really do not think this will ever be regulated either way this happens mainly in girl programs rather than boys...
OK lets say you had O.J mayo on your team and he was a freshman but you had a senoir on your team that is about athletic as a duck
Now are you goin to play O.J or they guy that can't dribble and walk at the same time
Thats easy your going to play O.J not the other kid just because he is in a higher grade
"THE BUS" Wrote:OK lets say you had O.J mayo on your team and he was a freshman but you had a senoir on your team that is about athletic as a duck
Now are you goin to play O.J or they guy that can't dribble and walk at the same time
Thats easy your going to play O.J not the other kid just because he is in a higher grade
How many teams have someone like OJ Mayo to pick from? This is a real life thing, not a once in a life time thing. You say you go to Virgie Middle School BUS? why not go play varsity ball at Pike Central? You are allowed to go to school there your freshman year if you choose. If you say that is different, well, Virgie Middle School is a totally different school than Shelby Valley. How can you represent your school on the ball court if you do not go to the school you are playing at? It seems if teams played players that wasnt enrolled in there school, all those games should be forfits for playing people not enrolled. You have to forfit games if you play an enelgible player, but I still wonder how a player can be elgible if they do not go to the school they are playing for.

What happens if a player plays high school ball while the player is in the 8th grade. Then the players family moves or something then as a freshman would the first year freshman be able to play for the new school he goes to, or would he have to sit out a year? If he was able to play, that seems like an exception to a rule about transfering. Even if he didnt transfer. It just seem to me that it would be alot of trouble and I am not sure if the KHSAA can make good enough decisions on a case by case basis.
My take on the KHSAA rule is: you can start/play every Varsity game for a high school- as long as you are still a middle school student and it does not affect your 4 years of HS eligibility. Once you become an official 9th grade student any Varsity playing time is counted. So you could actually start every game at SVHS as a student of a feeder school and as a Freshmen if you enroll at Pikeville High School- your eligibility is not affected. Your count of playing time begins when you become a 9th grader.
But is that right, where you could be a freshman and only play 3 seconds in a game and have to sit out a year or something if you went to a different high school? See, the rules are not right or just in alot of situations.
Mike was byfar the best in the region both years
They need to play
if there a player then there a player no matter how old they are
"BasketBallonlyfan" Wrote:But is that right, where you could be a freshman and only play 3 seconds in a game and have to sit out a year or something if you went to a different high school? See, the rules are not right or just in alot of situations.

Playing time is only countable on Varsity. Or at least that is my interpretation.
I know that playing time only counts on a varsity level. But if it was a blowout or something, a freshman played for 3 seconds in a varsity game, then transfered for some reason or other, he would have to sit out. If it was a 8th grader, Just for the sake of arguement, playing for a high school varsity team, played 10 minutes a game for every game. Then went to a different high school than the one he played for, guess what. No sit outs at all, does that seem fair?
Middle school has no governing body but they should. Since they do not 8th graders have freedoms HS'ers do not. Play the best and get a good rest at night,play the average and wake up without a job!!!
I just wonder how the high schools gets away with playing players that are not enrolled in there schools though.
I don't think they should because their time will come but right now its the current highschoolers turn. IMO
It seems like everyone wants to either be held back, or play ahead of there grade. Why not just let them play where they are supposed to....
"Bo Duke" Wrote:it doesnt matta the best player should get the spot
i agree seniorty shouldnt mean a thing af a young player trys harder and plays better he/she should get the spot..............................
The kids who play up (non holdbacks) want to play up a level or 2 against better players to improve their own game.

The kids who stay back (holdbacks) are looking for a year in which they can dominate kids younger/smaller than themselves.

Just my opinion.
yes they should
i think middle school shouldnt be able to play high school because high schoolers can not play middle school ball. middle schoolers should just stick with middle school until there in high school
well i think they should be aloud. beacuse if someone looses their spot to an eighth grader they dont need to play...besides do whats best for the team not what to saticifie everyone else.!!besides 8th graders that can play on the high school team are looking for more challenges. not just to say there on the high school team..
"~snoopy~" Wrote:well i think they should be aloud. beacuse if someone looses their spot to an eighth grader they dont need to play...besides do whats best for the team not what to saticifie everyone else.!!besides 8th graders that can play on the high school team are looking for more challenges. not just to say there on the high school team..
How can it be the best for the team if they dont even go to that school.
I think we've pretty much worn this argument out. At the present time KSHAA allows middle/elementary school students to play. Regardless of any of our opinions it will up to KHSAA to change this. I'm sure they'll put it on their list of things to change. LOL. Most of their rules don't make sense anyway, so why should this one.
"ACE" Wrote:The best should play no matter what age. I think if an 8th grader is good enough to play on varsity though they shouldnt be allowed to play middle school ball too. However if they just play fresh. and jv then yeah they should still be able to play middle school.

good point, if a player does significantly better, really sticks out from the rest of the younger players then they should definately get to play highschool, that way the player can really develop