Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rumors: Floyd Co.?
SO CANOEMAN06 IS BESTY LAYNE'S COACH THIS WHOLE THREAD MAKES SENSE NOW :eyeroll:
THIS HAS BEEN KINDA FUN WATCHING EVERYONE EAT EACH OTHER OVER SOMETHING THIS STUPID, SEE YA :thanks:
Wrong, Try again !
[quote=007xxx]SO CANOEMAN06 IS BESTY LAYNE'S COACH THIS WHOLE THREAD MAKES SENSE NOW :eyeroll

not
Dallas Wrote:Our goal is to educate these kids. Knowing that some of these kids live for sports gives educators a great motivational tool for better grades so they can play. Instead, the kids are being rewarded for poor grades by allowing them to play sports an extra year. This is more than one school having a better team than another...this is about teaching our youth that failure is not only acceptable, but it's how to get ahead. The core principles we teach them now are what will guide them the rest of their lives. While the decision to hold back a kid is a personal one between the parent and child, it affects my child too. When my child's classroom becomes overcrowded, or there is no room on the team because the entire 7th grade team is back for another year, it is very much my business.

You really have no idea as to what you are talking about, do you? The kids I know that are being held back have really GOOD GRADES! The entire 7th grade team you are talking about consist of 4 boys. If that is going to overcrowd classrooms then there is a major problem!! As far as the team goes, then your son just needs to work for his spot. Do you want your child to just be given a spot on the team? I mean come on!! Get your facts together before you get on here ranting and raving about things that you cant back up nor have any idea as to what it is you are talking about!
So if they have good grades, why hold them back?
Dallas Wrote:So if they have good grades, why hold them back?

That is not for me to answer. That is between the student and parent! A student can be held back for other reasons other than bad grades. Personal reasons I would imagine!
007xxx Wrote:SO CANOEMAN06 IS BESTY LAYNE'S COACH THIS WHOLE THREAD MAKES SENSE NOW :eyeroll:

Wrong, Canoeman is not associated with Betsy Layne in any way. I am 100% positive about this!
canoeman06 Wrote:Most people that are for holding back are in districts were it is common practice. Those that are against it seem to be from areas were it doesn't happen very often. I have coached for 6 years and have been involved in many games in which our kids were playing against teams with as many as 10 holdbacks. Fact is folks if we (Floyd County) don't start accepting it, we will continue to fall farther behind on the field of athletics. I know some people will respond that it "should not be about athletics" but I personally know of kids that live for sports and would not give much effort in the classroom if it were not for sports. We can deny that if we want but it is a TRUTH ! I know that most of the talk has centered on one school, but if that school holds back several then so be it. I can bet you that school will be competing with ANY school in Eastern Kentucky if they do this and that is what we want to do isn't it ? The parents on here are correct. Who are we to judge the decisions they make for the future of their children. Do they judge the people that dont hold back kids that are much smaller and not physically mature ???
well said.
Take a look at all your McDonalds all-american teams and high school all-star type teams. Almost all are holdbacks (there are exceptions). But most are 19 yr olds that play in these games.
We should leave it in the parents hands. Period.
bballreporter Wrote:Take a look at all your McDonalds all-american teams and high school all-star type teams. Almost all are holdbacks (there are exceptions). But most are 19 yr olds that play in these games.

Well said.
I would like to congratulate one high school team and coach for getting this to be an issue!
What ???????????????????
Parents/student decision. What ever the reason. Parents have to do what is best for their kid. Enough said.
tellme1 Wrote:I would like to congratulate one high school team and coach for getting this to be an issue!

What?!?
Can you explain what you are talking about?
I am not going to debate if a student should be held back for athletic competition, but a simple solution for the future is starting young boys in school a year later. Boys mature much more slowly that girls. The extra year give them time to catch up with the girls, physically, emotionally, socially, and academically. I have seen athletic holdbacks work out great 50% of the time and blow up in the face of parents and teacher the other 50% of the time, so it's a coin flip.
i heard a rumor that zack hall and cory thornsberry were leaving south floyd and going to MCA to play basket ball and cory thornsberry is playing football for allen central because he is going to MCA. He doesn't live in the allen central school district so how is he going to play for allen central?
MCA does not offer football, so you are correct if the student elects to play football it must be for the team in his district. Know this rule first hand. We had the same situation a couple years back. Student attended MCA and wanted to play football at Adams. He lived in A.C. district and was told he had to play at A.C. .....
Does any one know of any transfers?
well thier is a rumor going around that jimmy helton is going to ac....which wont help them to much they already have a ton of gaurds....what they really need is a big man...dont get me wrong jimmys a good player but its best for him to stay where he is
I understand Heltons reason for transferring. Basketball isn't his main focus. He likes the sport. But from what i hear baseball is his main focus. And its not only for sports it has alot to do with educational purposes.
BigBlueRush Wrote:I understand Heltons reason for transferring. Basketball isn't his main focus. He likes the sport. But from what i hear baseball is his main focus. And its not only for sports it has alot to do with educational purposes.

than if your asking about transfers on a basketball fourm usally mean someone transferring for basketball
It does hav to do with basketball. But saying he should stay were hes at is jumping conclusions. lol I was askin about basketball transfers and u mentioned helton......but basketball is not the reason he transferring so i dont think hes to worried about that lol.
well im just say i could care less where he goes...but if he wants alot of playin time and whats to do good he should stay at sf...and corey thornsberry and some zak kid is trasnferring from sf as well
I understand lol im just sayin i think its a good decision on his part. And thornsberry will also be playing football and baseball at AC.
i mean i dont kno much about the kid...i watched him play a couple of times but what he needs to really think about is that hes loseing all of his friends aswell....plus sf has good teachers or so i heard better than ac
Im sure him and his family thought this all through before making the decision.........Im not putting sf down but there academics arent where they should, where as ac is.