Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Rumors: Floyd Co.?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Holdbacks?????
too many to name.
I have also heard several schools
but you hear alot of rumors....
RedRider96 Wrote:Holdbacks?????
I've "heard" about alot more this year than usual, but thats just the thing, I "heard". Not really any of my concern anyhow.
I have also "heard" of MANY !!!! The board will buck this BIG TIME if all of these try to do this... JMO
canoeman06 Wrote:I have also "heard" of MANY !!!! The board will buck this BIG TIME if all of these try to do this... JMO

lol you better believe that.
HOLDBACKS

No one should ever hold back anything, they should give everything they got
I have also heard several rumors. coaching changes and several middle school holdbacks. I guess time will tell.
what kind of coaching changes
Colonel Kill Wrote:what kind of coaching changes

Tracy Wright now coaches @ Allen. He was Wesley's coach.
Allen got a great basketball coach who will turn the program around congrats allen on your great hire.
eagle96 Wrote:Allen got a great basketball coach who will turn the program around congrats allen on your great hire.

They're very excited. They seem to have more confidence now also, which was a big problem in the past.
Yeh The Parents Of The Players Say The Whole 7th Grade Team Is Being Held Back, Thats Really Fair To The Real 7th Graders. They Say Its For Academics ,if So Dont Let Them Play Ball. To Bring Up Thier Grades Next Year, Academics Yeh Bull $@it. The Board Better Do Something.
007xxx Wrote:Yeh The Parents Of The Players Say The Whole 7th Grade Team Is Being Held Back, Thats Really Fair To The Real 7th Graders. They Say Its For Academics ,if So Dont Let Them Play Ball. To Bring Up Thier Grades Next Year, Academics Yeh Bull $@it. The Board Better Do Something.

If as many try to stay back as people are saying, don't worry it will be a big issue.
this issue should not deal with you all. It should only deal with the parent/principal/and most importantly the student.

For all adults on here, please remember confidentiality!!
betsylaynealum Wrote:this issue should not deal with you all. It should only deal with the parent/principal/and most importantly the student.

Great Post! This should be a family matter and it shouldn't matter to anyone else.
betsylaynealum Wrote:this issue should not deal with you all. It should only deal with the parent/principal/and most importantly the student.

I agree 100%!!!
Dont mistake me for being against it. I am fine with it, as a matter of fact if we dont start doing it some we will continue to suffer against other counties. My only wish is that the playing field be equal for everyone.

This "ISSUE" is being talked about all over the county. The issue of holdbacks.
I would just like to know how anyone could think this is fair if the school that is saying their holding back all of these kids really did this is crazy if their not ready for the next grade hold them back but don't let them play basketball and I bet if they was to do that none of them would be held back.
Life isn't always fair, but life gives you choices. If a parent decides to hold their child back, that should be their and their son/daughter's choice. Why is everyone so freaked out by the mention of hold backs? There are other hold backs in Floyd County besides BL, because they had a great team the past few years and are expected to have a great team next year, with or without the holdbacks, BL's B team went undeafeated this past year. So why is everyone outraged about this. If you have a son/daughter that falls in the guidelines to be held back, make your decision and hold em back or send them on and let the other parents decide if that is what they want for their kid. I personally see nothing wrong with hold backs, it's another year for your child to mature and be more able not only physically , but mentally to handle what life throws at them. I left out academics (which is a big plus also) but I left it out because everyone thinks basketball is the only reason for hold backs, I think all of the parents are smarter than that and are considering all the pros and cons before making a decision. Probably the only down side is the sarcastic remarks from people, who probably wish they had made this decision theirselves. Also, if and when I decide to hold my son back, I'll let everyone know, am not ashamed to let you know I'm thinking about his future.
If a kid is an average student, is it fair to the taxpayers to pay for an extra year of education so he/she can become a better athlete? There is a cost associated with each student that repeats a grade, not to mention the added number to the classroom. So if a class of 29 7th graders suddenly becomes 35 7th graders because of holdbacks, do they hire another teacher or do the 29 first time seventh graders just suffer the lack of attention? Every kid deserves, and has a right to an education, however, sports are an extracurricular activity, and pass and retention should not be based on them.
Dallas Wrote:If a kid is an average student, is it fair to the taxpayers to pay for an extra year of education so he/she can become a better athlete? There is a cost associated with each student that repeats a grade, not to mention the added number to the classroom. So if a class of 29 7th graders suddenly becomes 35 7th graders because of holdbacks, do they hire another teacher or do the 29 first time seventh graders just suffer the lack of attention? Every kid deserves, and has a right to an education, however, sports are an extracurricular activity, and pass and retention should not be based on them.

KHSAA rule: If your 19(15 in 8th grade) on/after august 1st, you are eligible(senior year). Also states you are not eligible for High School Sports in the 2nd year you repeat.

It really doesnt matter what you all think. The Board is not going to vacate a rule close to the end of the school year, just because you dont like it. The plain facts is your a coach and just know your going to take whippings all year long again or you think your child will be at a disadvantage, instead of worrying about playing time for your child or something along that line. Get your child in camps, AAU, work with them yourself, etc. to make them better or hold them back as well. It's the parents/school/board's choice and the rule is on the internet if you want to take time to read it. As long as the right guidelines are followed with what the rule states.

By the way, ain't the parent's taxpayers anyways.
uhavenoidea Wrote:KHSAA rule: If your 19(15 in 8th grade) on/after august 1st, you are eligible(senior year). Also states you are not eligible for High School Sports in the 2nd year you repeat.

It really doesnt matter what you all think. The Board is not going to vacate a rule close to the end of the school year, just because you dont like it. The plain facts is your a coach and just know your going to take whippings all year long again or you think your child will be at a disadvantage, instead of worrying about playing time for your child or something along that line. Get your child in camps, AAU, work with them yourself, etc. to make them better or hold them back as well. It's the parents/school/board's choice and the rule is on the internet if you want to take time to read it. As long as the right guidelines are followed with what the rule states.

By the way, ain't the parent's taxpayers anyways.

:Clap:
Most people that are for holding back are in districts were it is common practice. Those that are against it seem to be from areas were it doesn't happen very often. I have coached for 6 years and have been involved in many games in which our kids were playing against teams with as many as 10 holdbacks. Fact is folks if we (Floyd County) don't start accepting it, we will continue to fall farther behind on the field of athletics. I know some people will respond that it "should not be about athletics" but I personally know of kids that live for sports and would not give much effort in the classroom if it were not for sports. We can deny that if we want but it is a TRUTH ! I know that most of the talk has centered on one school, but if that school holds back several then so be it. I can bet you that school will be competing with ANY school in Eastern Kentucky if they do this and that is what we want to do isn't it ? The parents on here are correct. Who are we to judge the decisions they make for the future of their children. Do they judge the people that dont hold back kids that are much smaller and not physically mature ???
L et the parents decide what is best for their kids!!!
canoeman06 Wrote:Most people that are for holding back are in districts were it is common practice. Those that are against it seem to be from areas were it doesn't happen very often. I have coached for 6 years and have been involved in many games in which our kids were playing against teams with as many as 10 holdbacks. Fact is folks if we (Floyd County) don't start accepting it, we will continue to fall farther behind on the field of athletics. I know some people will respond that it "should not be about athletics" but I personally know of kids that live for sports and would not give much effort in the classroom if it were not for sports. We can deny that if we want but it is a TRUTH ! I know that most of the talk has centered on one school, but if that school holds back several then so be it. I can bet you that school will be competing with ANY school in Eastern Kentucky if they do this and that is what we want to do isn't it ? The parents on here are correct. Who are we to judge the decisions they make for the future of their children. Do they judge the people that dont hold back kids that are much smaller and not physically mature ???

Great Post Coach!
canoeman06 Wrote:Most people that are for holding back are in districts were it is common practice. Those that are against it seem to be from areas were it doesn't happen very often. I have coached for 6 years and have been involved in many games in which our kids were playing against teams with as many as 10 holdbacks. Fact is folks if we (Floyd County) don't start accepting it, we will continue to fall farther behind on the field of athletics. I know some people will respond that it "should not be about athletics" but I personally know of kids that live for sports and would not give much effort in the classroom if it were not for sports. We can deny that if we want but it is a TRUTH ! I know that most of the talk has centered on one school, but if that school holds back several then so be it. I can bet you that school will be competing with ANY school in Eastern Kentucky if they do this and that is what we want to do isn't it ? The parents on here are correct. Who are we to judge the decisions they make for the future of their children. Do they judge the people that dont hold back kids that are much smaller and not physically mature ???

This is the most sense that has been made on this thread yet! Good Job!:Thumbs:
Our goal is to educate these kids. Knowing that some of these kids live for sports gives educators a great motivational tool for better grades so they can play. Instead, the kids are being rewarded for poor grades by allowing them to play sports an extra year. This is more than one school having a better team than another...this is about teaching our youth that failure is not only acceptable, but it's how to get ahead. The core principles we teach them now are what will guide them the rest of their lives. While the decision to hold back a kid is a personal one between the parent and child, it affects my child too. When my child's classroom becomes overcrowded, or there is no room on the team because the entire 7th grade team is back for another year, it is very much my business.
Pages: 1 2