Poll: UNTUCKED Jersey, What do ya think?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Can't stand it!
22.86%
Doesn't bother me.
22.86%
Could careless either way.
25.71%
Getem' OFF the floor! Looks Terrible!!!
28.57%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UNTUCKED Jersey!!!!
Stardust Wrote:Funny you say that. The gentleman the ref who I asked to clarify the rule said that last Saturday at a Coaches clinic, they spent 30 minutes debating whether a girls headwrap is a headband. Headbands are not allowed, but they did not know if headwraps are :confused:

He said half the refs can't call a charge/blocking foul, and the are spending 30 minutes on a headband! :igiveup:
We shouldn't need the KHSAA or Refs or whoever to have the kids have respect for the game. Simple as U stated before, tuck it in or sit beside the coach.
Stardust Wrote:This was the statement directly from a 20+ year 8th, 9th, 10th region official.

"where the uniform as the manufacturer intended"

This rule for uniforms is is covered in the National Federation of High School rules. The above rule is only an add-on for KHSAA.

So, what was his interpretation of the above statement? It's not a rule to have a shirt tucked in. It's completely at th ediscretion of the referee as to whether the player meets Section 5, Article 1 - "The referee shall not permit any team member to wear equipment or apparel which, in his/her judgement, is dangerous or confusing to other players or is not appropriate"

Thus, it comes down to the referee's game time decision on how the uniforms are to be worn. During the pregame meeting of head official and each coach/player captain, the uniform rules are covered. A referee is supposed to indetify what can and can't be done.

During the game, the referee may instruct a player to adjust his clothing (tuck his shirt, pull up his pants, etc...) If the player does not adhere to the request, the referee can remove the player from the floor until the adjustment is made.

It still left it to interpretation to me, thus I asked what if the Coach refuses because there is not rule. I was told that the rule is very clear to all coaches "uniform and equipment is 100% at the discretion of the referee". Failure to abide by the referee's decision can lead 1st technical Fouls, ejection and finally forfeit.

I should add this clarifier. Girls uniforms are manufactured with a "V" cut in the bottom sides to allow the jersey to be worn "outside" of the short. Which would obviously be in dispute to how the jersey was desinged to be worn.

So, no matter what our feelings are on the subject, it comes down to how the referee feels at that moment.

Seriously, I can't believe a 20+ year vet would actually tell you that a rule that the NATIONAL FEDERATION OF HIGH SCHOOLS put in a RULE BOOK that they print out for EVERYONE TO GO BY, and actually give it a RULE NUMBER 3-4-15, surely this referee would not tell you to ignore this rule and it's up to the referee's to decide whether they have to tuck them in or not!!! HAHA, that is hilarious! We have found the problem, people like that are choosing to IGNORE THE ACTUAL RULES AND ARE DOING WHATEVER THEY WANT TOO. Let them try and call a state tournament game and let the kids go around with them not in, bet they don't call anymore games. This is frowned upon by the KHSAA leaders and is always addressed. Some officials yes chose to do their own thing and ignore the rule because yes it is aggrevating to be fashion police. But if you are saying it is not a rule, just want to let you know, your info you have gotten is wrong and it is in print to prove it. This was not an add on rule either, it is straight from the rule book that is printed out every year. The rule that was given before is talking about the design of uniforms.

Girls uniforms that are designed with the V at the bottom to be worn on the outside of the shirts are fine, but if you read the rules closely, it says that those types are legal in college only, not in high school. It says that uniforms designed like that are prohibited in high school. But some teams still have them and no one says anything, again. Just wanted to let you know, THERE ARE RULES, WHETHER THEY ARE ENFORCED OR NOT IS A DIFFERENT STORY.:mad:
Stardust Wrote:Funny you say that. The gentleman the ref who I asked to clarify the rule said that last Saturday at a Coaches clinic, they spent 30 minutes debating whether a girls headwrap is a headband. Headbands are not allowed, but they did not know if headwraps are :confused:

He said half the refs can't call a charge/blocking foul, and the are spending 30 minutes on a headband! :igiveup:

Just for clarification, Headbands are allowed. It's the color of the Headbands that are the issue. Everyone has to wear the same color. It either can be black, white or the dominant color of the teams jersey. Everyone doesn't have to have one, but if more than one player does, they have to be the same color. And as far as headwrap, same thing, anything that goes all the way around the head is considered a headband, whether it's a real headband or pre wrap around the head, as long as it abides by the color rules, it is legal.

Now hair holding devices(things that hold the hair back that don't go all the way around the head), as long as they are soft do not have any color legalities. They can be multi colored.

But I totally agree with you about worrying about such stuff is crazy, when a lot of officials don't know what a travel is! It's getting totally ridiculous, this should be something athletic directors and coaches should have to worry about, not officials.
If an untucked jersey is hanging 12" below the waist line then I see it being a problem. If the jersey is short and won't stay tucked in (which I see several schools uniforms that fall into this category) then it's not that big a deal. When play stops the players attempt to tuck the jerseys in and when they start running, jumping, falling, and getting tugged on, the jerseys come back out.

Some uniform companys' jerseys are not as long as others, same with the shorts. Players should be respectful of the referee's request to tuck their jerseys in when asked.
When I played a couple years ago, It didnt matter if it was practice gear or game jersey, it was tucked in ...
Tuck them in or get off the floor.

No room for individuals.
Ridge Runner Wrote:Tuck them in or get off the floor.

No room for individuals.

Amen.
I agree with TUCK them in and I really can't understand how some of these kids get by with mouth'n off to the coaches the way some do right during a game or practice, total lack of respect.
Can I say pet peeve! Hahaha

Does look terrible, refs and coaches should be reminding players to keep their jerseys tucked in
stringmusic Wrote:I agree with TUCK them in and I really can't understand how some of these kids get by with mouth'n off to the coaches the way some do right during a game or practice, total lack of respect.

And we have the answer for the entire thread. This wouldn't be a topic if respect and discipline was appreciated by the players consistently.
Stardust Wrote:And we have the answer for the entire thread. This wouldn't be a topic if respect and discipline was appreciated by the players consistently.

Very True.
That respect part is something I hate to see missing from a team these days. You never hear mention of the sportsmenship award anymore. Coaches are on the bench but just how many get the rightful respect from players that makes a kid tuck that shirt in from the time he puts it on, and never dream of mouthing off to a ref or a coach.
Last night in good close game, on a deadball ref blew his whistle and told Elliott County (Knipp#21) player to tuck his jersey in. He did, most of the way.
It just looks better with the shirts tucked in...It's no big deal....Rules are rules and they need to be inforced....
I personally think it is retarded to raise all this cane about tucking in a jersey. There out there to play basketball, not to be fashion models. If they don't wont to tuck in their jersey get over it.
I'm new to BGR, but I have to agree that it does look sloppy if jerseys are not tucked in, but then again, I'm there to watch the game and I really do not pay attention to the jerseys once the game is underway.
mountain hoops guru Wrote:Well here you go, get a rule book out, here is what is says word for word, you decide.
NFHS Basketball Rules
Rule 3-4-15
"A team jersey designed to be worn inside the shorts SHALL BE TUCKED INSIDE SHORTS and shorts shall be worn above hips and worn properly. A PLAYER NOT CONFORMING TO THIS POLICY SHALL BE DIRECTED TO LEAVE THE GAME."

There you go guys and gals...That is the RULE and not up to interpretation...It is not an add on for Kentucky...It comes straight from the NFHS rulebook and is black and white...Go to the state tournament and you will see that the refs are enforcing tucked in jerseys...Good refs are not going to stop the game for an untucked jersey and bring attention to it unless it becomes an ongoing issue...They simply will remind you and give you the time to get it tucked when there is a dead ball...

High school teams are wearing uni's from major companies like Rawlings, Nike, Addidas, Russell Athletic, etc...Look at any catalog that the team marketing rep sends you and you will see the uniforms are marketed with the shirts tucked in all the way around (men or women) whenever they are modeled in a picture...

If you want to go by the argument, "the way the manufacturer intended them to be worn" then there is no argument because they market them to the schools as being tucked in...Many companies go the GREAT lengths to have the design on the jersey merge into the design on the shorts as if it is one big design...Won't work if they are untucked...

As a high school coach we DO make our players not only keep their game jerseys tucked in but they also wear their practice gear tucked in as well...It IS the way they are intended...

It's about personal pride and respect...If you choose to play basketball you choose to follow a set of rules...One of those, while not paramount to the ability to play the game well or safely, is to tuck in your jersey...You have to follow rules your entire life...This is just one of thousands...Get used to it...
goodguy Wrote:If an untucked jersey is hanging 12" below the waist line then I see it being a problem. If the jersey is short and won't stay tucked in (which I see several schools uniforms that fall into this category) then it's not that big a deal. When play stops the players attempt to tuck the jerseys in and when they start running, jumping, falling, and getting tugged on, the jerseys come back out.

Some uniform companys' jerseys are not as long as others, same with the shorts. Players should be respectful of the referee's request to tuck their jerseys in when asked.

I can agree with you on that as well. My old h/s's jerseys are some what short and if not tucked it doesnt bother me. Opposed to other jersey's that hang to the knees. I more or less just view it as something like the "skirt" policies in schools...too long.. tuck em
Untucked jerseys make no difference in the game. It's not even that big of a deal, so if a player wants his jersey to be untucked, more power to him.
LCthug Wrote:Untucked jerseys make no difference in the game. It's not even that big of a deal, so if a player wants his jersey to be untucked, more power to him.
Spoken like a true high school kid who thinks they have the world all figured out... Rolleyes

What's wrong with conforming to rules?? As many of us, who have been around for more than 1 decade can attest, there are many rules "out there" that in the grand scheme of things might seem to us to be no big deal...However, if we do not want to pay the consequences for not following them we go along with them...We make the choice to do the right thing...Learn that lesson now and life will be a lot easier for you...

Tucked in IS the rule regardless of what may have been stated earlier in this thread...The fact that there are refs out there in certain regions who choose not to enforce it does not make it any less of a rule than goaltending or a 3 second violation...I know many referees who try to avoid ever calling a 3 second violation...Doesn't make it any less of a rule...I attend state rules meetings annually, in multiple sports, both as an official and coach and can assure you that tucking a jersey in is not intended to be enforced at the discretion of the referee...

Now, I'm not going to say I necessarily disagree that tucked or untucked has any real bearing on the outcome of a game...It really doesn't...It becomes a respect of the game issue...High school athletics holds itself to a higher standard than a pickup game at the Y or even AAU basketball...Hold yourself to that higher standard...If you are lucky or good enough to play at the next level and beyond you better get used to tucking them in now because even the guys who get paid millions of dollars to play tuck them in...
I dont see why the kids should tuck them in ...what does it bother...I think its stupid...
lawrence LC Wrote:I dont see why the kids should tuck them in ...what does it bother...I think its stupid...

Then you need to write the KHSAA and tell them to change their stupid rule. No matter what anyone thinks this is a rule set by the KHSAA. Play by the rules or don't play...it's as simple as that.
Really why do u need to tuck it in...?
lawrence LC Wrote:Really why do u need to tuck it in...?

Ignorant rule!! People with authority take it a little far and make stupid rules just because they can.
Money Maker Wrote:Ignorant rule!! People with authority take it a little far and make stupid rules just because they can.

yeah....I dont think theres no need it.
TUCK IT!! And keep it TUCKED!!