Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: UNTUCKED Jersey!!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Guys what is the deal? I have watched so many games this season and kids just can't seem to keep their shirts tucked. You may think this looks cool. But, let me tell ya something. It looks SLOPPY!
You aren't playing some pick-up game at the park. You are representing you school, District and region. Do you see any college or pro players looking like this? NO!
If I were a coach or a ref, if you couldn't keep you shirt in...you wouldn't be on the floor.

Sorry, BGR people. But, am I the only one that feels this way. If not please speak up and maybe one or two of the kids that get on here will see it and realise what people really think about their untucked shirts.
Magnum PI Wrote:Guys what is the deal? I have watched so many games this season and kids just can't seem to keep their shirts tucked. You may think this looks cool. But, let me tell ya something. It looks SLOPPY!
You aren't playing some pick-up game at the park. You are representing you school, District and region. Do you see any college or pro players looking like this? NO!
If I were a coach or a ref, if you couldn't keep you shirt in...you wouldn't be on the floor.

Sorry, BGR people. But, am I the only one that feels this way. If not please speak up and maybe one or two of the kids that get on here will see it and realise what people really think about their untucked shirts.
I agree Girls and Boys tuckem in !
Magnum PI Wrote:Guys what is the deal? I have watched so many games this season and kids just can't seem to keep their shirts tucked. You may think this looks cool. But, let me tell ya something. It looks SLOPPY!

I agree with you.
It is a KHSAA rule that if they are a shirt that supposed to be tucked in, they better be in. The coaches and officials need to police this a little more than they do. I know it's aggrevating telling players to put their jerseys in at every dead ball, but it is a rule and needs to be done better than it is being done right now. Looks very bad on everyone involved in the game, makes it look like they don't care.
I don't like it, but I can tolerate it. Refs are instructed to keep the front of the jersey tucked, but why not just make it a requirement to keep the whole jersey tucked in?

For me, it's just about respect. The look is unprofessional, thus is somewhat embarassing to the game. But, so are the parachute shorts that are worn as well. I think it looks just as bad to have shorts that hang to the ankles as it is to have untucked shirt.

It's obviously a discipline factor with the coach. It appears to me that it's one of those battles that fewer coaches are taking up. If the coach can tolerate it, then we are all going to have to live with it.
mountain hoops guru Wrote:It is a KHSAA rule that if they are a shirt that supposed to be tucked in, they better be in. The coaches and officials need to police this a little more than they do. I know it's aggrevating telling players to put their jerseys in at every dead ball, but it is a rule and needs to be done better than it is being done right now. Looks very bad on everyone involved in the game, makes it look like they don't care.

Is it a rule? Or a best practice. A rule is protestable, which could cause a team to lose or bring stoppage to a game. As I mentioned before, Ref's only enforce the front of the jersey to be tucked in. To me, if the jersey is untucked, it makes it easier for a defender to grab. It used to be, if the jersey was pulled out, then the defender is grabbing.
What's it matter?? Players aren't worrying about tucking their jerseys in, their worrying about winning the game. If a player is hustling well, it's hard to keep a jersey tucked.
bballer9 Wrote:What's it matter?? Players aren't worrying about tucking their jerseys in, their worrying about winning the game. If a player is hustling well, it's hard to keep a jersey tucked.

A waiter or waitress is hustling and trying to get me my food correctly and in a hurry, but if they look unkempt, sloppy then it takes away from my dining experience and makes me feel that they really don't care about the job that they are doing. However, if they look professional, then I feel they are professional regardless of how well they are doing.
bballer9 Wrote:What's it matter?? Players aren't worrying about tucking their jerseys in, their worrying about winning the game. If a player is hustling well, it's hard to keep a jersey tucked.
Its about discipline, self respect and respect for others.
i don't see what the big deal is? yeah, if they say tuck it, tuck it. i don't see how that should effect the fans though. when you are in the middle of a game, the last thing a player thinks about is tucking in their jersey. about the longer shorts, some kids like them long, some like huggers.
FBALL Wrote:Its about discipline, self respect and respect for others.

So, if a kid's jersey comes untucked during a game, they have don't have any discipline?
bluegrass15 Wrote:so, if a kid's jersey comes untucked during a game, they have don't have any discipline?

Just tuck the dang thing in during a deadball. How much trouble is that ?
alleycat53 Wrote:Just tuck the dang thing in during a deadball. How much trouble is that ?

i could care less and i am finished commenting on it.
alleycat53 Wrote:Just tuck the dang thing in during a deadball. How much trouble is that ?
Thank you.
It looks very unprofessional and sloppy for a jersey not to be tucked it. If it comes untucked during a game, then try to find a second to tuck it back in.
bluegrass15 Wrote:So, if a kid's jersey comes untucked during a game, they have don't have any discipline?

I think you are missing the point.
3. A visible manufacturer’s logo/trademark/reference is NOT permitted on
the jersey. NOTE: A “locker-tag” near the bottom of a jersey designed to
be tucked in
, is not interpreted as visible.

http://www.khsaa.org/basketball/regulars...andout.pdf

Page 15: A-3
Magnum PI Wrote:3. A visible manufacturer’s logo/trademark/reference is NOT permitted on
be tucked in

That makes sense now. Refs are only required to enforce that the front of the jersey to be tucked in and why they don't make the player tuck the who shirt. Uggh, just make it clear and say the whole jersey must be tucked in.

Almost every jersey that I have seen untucked, comes to the player's mid thigh.

The shorts have draw strings on them. Use them. You dont' see any of the players at the next level with their jersey hanging out and they hustle.
Stardust Wrote:That makes sense now. Refs are only required to enforce that the front of the jersey to be tucked in and why they don't make the player tuck the who shirt. Uggh, just make it clear and say the whole jersey must be tucked in.

I agree. It looks even more sloppy when the front only is tucked and the back is hanging out. It's like these kids weren't taught to dress or they are just to lazy to care what they look like.
Magnum PI Wrote:I agree. It looks even more sloppy when the front only is tucked and the back is hanging out. It's like these kids weren't taught to dress or they are just to lazy to care what they look like.

It's a simple fix for the coach as well. But, as I stated before, it must be a battle that the coaches choose to not take. I assume that they are giving the player the freedom.

I guess if it was you or I coaching, the player would either play with his shirt tucked in, or sit next to me with it untucked :Thumbs:
Stardust Wrote:It's a simple fix for the coach as well. But, as I stated before, it must be a battle that the coaches choose to not take. I assume that they are giving the player the freedom.

I guess if it was you or I coaching, the player would either play with his shirt tucked in, or sit next to me with it untucked :Thumbs:

AMEN Brother!
Stardust Wrote:That makes sense now. Refs are only required to enforce that the front of the jersey to be tucked in .

This is incorrect. The players are not supposed to be in the game at all if their shirts are not tucked in ALL THE WAY AROUND. If they are waiting at the table to check in, they are or suposed to not be allowed in the game. The problem is with the coach first of all not making them do it, and 2nd the officials are not wanting to pick this battle to fight, but when they don't they are not enforcing the rules. Because it is supposed to be tucked at all times, yes there are times when playing hard it comes out and that is fine, but during a dead ball or free throw, they are asked to tuck it back or that is how it should be. It is a rule and is only enforced by a few, if everyone would get on the same page with the rules, this would be a dead issue! I know coaches and officials do not like playing fashion police, but there are rules and they should have to abide by them.
Magnum PI Wrote:3. A visible manufacturer’s logo/trademark/reference is NOT permitted on
be tucked in

mountain hoops guru Wrote:This is incorrect. The players are not supposed to be in the game at all if their shirts are not tucked in ALL THE WAY AROUND. If they are waiting at the table to check in, they are or suposed to not be allowed in the game. The problem is with the coach first of all not making them do it, and 2nd the officials are not wanting to pick this battle to fight, but when they don't they are not enforcing the rules. Because it is supposed to be tucked at all times, yes there are times when playing hard it comes out and that is fine, but during a dead ball or free throw, they are asked to tuck it back or that is how it should be. It is a rule and is only enforced by a few, if everyone would get on the same page with the rules, this would be a dead issue! I know coaches and officials do not like playing fashion police, but there are rules and they should have to abide by them.

I think we are all on the same page in our desire to have the jersey tucked in. But based on what Magnum PI found, I don't believe the rule dictates the same thing that you are saying. If that was the case, then the refs would not stop at just the front of the Jersey being tucked in as enough.

I'll check into this with a 10th Region ref that I know and find out what the refs are supposed to do in thissituation.
No checking needed, it supposed to be tucked in!
mountain hoops guru Wrote:No checking needed, it supposed to be tucked in!

Supposed to and a rule are completely different:thumpsup:
Well here you go, get a rule book out, here is what is says word for word, you decide.
NFHS Basketball Rules
Rule 3-4-15
"A team jersey designed to be worn inside the shorts SHALL BE TUCKED INSIDE SHORTS and shorts shall be worn above hips and worn properly. A PLAYER NOT CONFORMING TO THIS POLICY SHALL BE DIRECTED TO LEAVE THE GAME."

There is your RULE! Smile So the refs that are asking the kids to just tuck them in are doing them a favor, they could be asking them to leave the game.

And the part about wearing the shorts up on their hips is another topic! Smile

And 1 more note, UNIFORMS IN HIGH SCHOOL ARE NOT LEGAL IF THEY ARE DESIGNED TO BE WORN OUTSIDE THE SHORTS, THESE TYPE OF UNIFORMS ARE PROHIBITED!
This was the statement directly from a 20+ year 8th, 9th, 10th region official.

"where the uniform as the manufacturer intended"

This rule for uniforms is is covered in the National Federation of High School rules. The above rule is only an add-on for KHSAA.

So, what was his interpretation of the above statement? It's not a rule to have a shirt tucked in. It's completely at th ediscretion of the referee as to whether the player meets Section 5, Article 1 - "The referee shall not permit any team member to wear equipment or apparel which, in his/her judgement, is dangerous or confusing to other players or is not appropriate"

Thus, it comes down to the referee's game time decision on how the uniforms are to be worn. During the pregame meeting of head official and each coach/player captain, the uniform rules are covered. A referee is supposed to indetify what can and can't be done.

During the game, the referee may instruct a player to adjust his clothing (tuck his shirt, pull up his pants, etc...) If the player does not adhere to the request, the referee can remove the player from the floor until the adjustment is made.

It still left it to interpretation to me, thus I asked what if the Coach refuses because there is not rule. I was told that the rule is very clear to all coaches "uniform and equipment is 100% at the discretion of the referee". Failure to abide by the referee's decision can lead 1st technical Fouls, ejection and finally forfeit.

I should add this clarifier. Girls uniforms are manufactured with a "V" cut in the bottom sides to allow the jersey to be worn "outside" of the short. Which would obviously be in dispute to how the jersey was desinged to be worn.

So, no matter what our feelings are on the subject, it comes down to how the referee feels at that moment.
This is funny are you guys into basketball or fashion? I know there are rules.but mosr refs can't call the game right
the old WASP Wrote:This is funny are you guys into basketball or fashion? I know there are rules.but mosr refs can't call the game right

Funny you say that. The gentleman the ref who I asked to clarify the rule said that last Saturday at a Coaches clinic, they spent 30 minutes debating whether a girls headwrap is a headband. Headbands are not allowed, but they did not know if headwraps are :confused:

He said half the refs can't call a charge/blocking foul, and the are spending 30 minutes on a headband! :igiveup:
Pages: 1 2