Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PRP 4 Lawrence County 1
LC showed their class by not taking out that catcher who was acting like a PUNK! Laney went to the umpire early in the game after he struck out and the catcher spiked the ball and was running his mouth. Coach Keeton went to the home plate umpire to get him to do something. The umpire did NOTHING. Then the next couple of innings the catcher for PRP SPIKES the ball right next to Laney's head while he is defenseless on the ground. That catcher is lucky that Cyrus didn't plug an 86 mph fastball in his ribcage when he came up the next time, because that SHOULD have been how to end his "class" that he showed.

The players, coaches, and fans from LCHS all showed class during the entire season. Sure there was an incident in the title game, but it wasn't LCHS's fault. They went to the proper channels to get it stopped before it could escalate, but the umpires CHOSE not to enforce the "sportsmanship" that was announced before the game over the PA system. The catcher should have been ejected early in the game, and definitely should have been ejected after he spiked that ball at Laney.

I was at the game, and I didn't see anyone actually throwing punches or fighting. So I'm not sure where you get that it was a bench-clearing brawl, because it wasn't.
I agree that LC not only played with a LOT of heart the entire tournament, but also showed that they wouldn't give up even when the officiating was not in their favor. The KHSAA should not let this incident go unnoticed; instead, they should review the entire facts that led up to the "bench clearing incident" and make it clear to their officials at future events that this behavior will not be tolerated--state championship game or not.
DevilsWin Wrote:Yes I was at the football game and it was an LC player that started the whole thing.

Yea but was you at the baseball game? If you were there than you wouldnt even be arguin and saying about this being a pattern.
Batpuff Wrote:Well Cyrus came out flat and couldnt find the zone in the 1st inning but still got out of it only allowing two runs..

Now time to grip a little... Well to start with the catcher from PRP is well I better not say but he should have been tossed early in the game for comments that he made to Brad Laney after Laney struck out... Ok Laney done the right thing by tell MR Ump who did nothing then a coach went to him and did nothing.... Ok here was the turning point in the game Lane was on 3rd with 2 outs. He fakes a steal home and the catcher throws down to 3rd and the ball gets away from cox so Laney make a break for home well there is a play at the plate in which at the time it was 2-1 PRP.... Laney slides in and the ball gets there at the same time the catcher drops the ball and you can see him pick it back up and show the ump that he had the ball.... No big deal yea it would have tied the game but what set the fire works off is after the ump called him out and laney still laying on the ground at home the PRP catcher throws the ball right at Laney's head and the UMP does nothing and then thats when the benches cleared and the fire works began.... All it takes is one bad apple to take away from a great game..... Yes PRP is good.... Are they better then LC no they are not.. Yes they did win... But LC gave them all and more then they wanted.

Here is where I got it.
Great season Dawgs! You guys played your hearts out and made everyone in Eastern Ky. very proud. I cannot tell you how many people came up to me at the games that weren't even from around here commenting on how great they thought you all were, from the play on the ballfield to your sportsmanship. Everyone was very impressed. Hold your heads up high, you had a great season and have nothing to be ashamed about. Seniors, good luck at the next level and returning players, be ready to mentor the younger guys coming up so that you can return to Applebee's.
Congratulations PRP. Very talented ball team.
Nice run by the Bulldogs this past weekend. They beat a private school in the semis and played a Big school very tough in the finals. You have to be proud of the Dogs and best wishes to all the seniors.
DevilsWin Wrote:Here is where I got it.

That's not the point. You cant even congratulate lc on a great season. You have to get on here and talk negative about them and the sad thing is you wasnt even there. Anyone at that game knows that catcher should have been tossed and it was a coward thing to do when a player is on the ground to talk trash and spike a baseball at a player's head.
I drove to Lexington just to watch Lawrence County play in the state championship. I hoped that I would not drive there to see a game resembling the title game from last season in which Dunbar nearly mercied Shelby County, and my hopes proved good as I watched an eastern Kentucky team represent the mountains with the utmost class and determination. I hated to see Coach Feltner get tossed, but I have to say, had I been the coach on that particular play I would have gotten tossed as well. It was a big call and the umpire clearly missed it, but then did nothing on the maliciousness after the call. I understand emotions were high, but the PRP catcher did something uncalled for - that would have gotten him thrown out of a game at any level, and possibly even a suspension at the MLB level. That play changed the tide of the game at the time. With that said, LC also made 2 other big baserunning mistakes that may have cost them 1 or possibly even 2 more runs.

PRP was definitely the better team as far as talent level goes from top to bottom, however, I will give LC credit for their talent level as well. But what kept LC in this game and gave them a chance to win it was their grittiness and determination. The heart that they showed and the toughness to withstand two potential moments when PRP could have put the game away with a big hit showed me a lot about these boys. I thoroughly was pleased and fulfilled with hope by this LC team. It just shows that every player on every team puts their pants on the same way everybody else does so that if you're willing to work for it, great things can be accomplished - even by the discredited boys of eastern Kentucky!
BaseballMan Wrote:I drove to Lexington just to watch Lawrence County play in the state championship. I hoped that I would not drive there to see a game resembling the title game from last season in which Dunbar nearly mercied Shelby County, and my hopes proved good as I watched an eastern Kentucky team represent the mountains with the utmost class and determination. I hated to see Coach Feltner get tossed, but I have to say, had I been the coach on that particular play I would have gotten tossed as well. It was a big call and the umpire clearly missed it, but then did nothing on the maliciousness after the call. I understand emotions were high, but the PRP catcher did something uncalled for - that would have gotten him thrown out of a game at any level, and possibly even a suspension at the MLB level. That play changed the tide of the game at the time. With that said, LC also made 2 other big baserunning mistakes that may have cost them 1 or possibly even 2 more runs.

PRP was definitely the better team as far as talent level goes from top to bottom, however, I will give LC credit for their talent level as well. But what kept LC in this game and gave them a chance to win it was their grittiness and determination. The heart that they showed and the toughness to withstand two potential moments when PRP could have put the game away with a big hit showed me a lot about these boys. I thoroughly was pleased and fulfilled with hope by this LC team. It just shows that every player on every team puts their pants on the same way everybody else does so that if you're willing to work for it, great things can be accomplished - even by the discredited boys of eastern Kentucky!

That was the best post I have read in a long time on here.. Thank You!!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
DevilsWin Wrote:Here is where I got it.

Yea I said thats when the benches cleared but did I once say who left the bench first or did I even say anything about punches being thrown Nope I didnt...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Batpuff Wrote:Yea I said thats when the benches cleared but did I once say who left the bench first or did I even say anything about punches being thrown Nope I didnt...

No you didn't. But you did say, "That's when the Fireworks began".

Were you just trying to embellish the story to make LC sound tough or did both teams whip out Roman Candles and Bottle Rockets????
mjballer23 Wrote:That's not the point. You cant even congratulate lc on a great season. You have to get on here and talk negative about them and the sad thing is you wasnt even there. Anyone at that game knows that catcher should have been tossed and it was a coward thing to do when a player is on the ground to talk trash and spike a baseball at a player's head.

Good sportsmanship doesn't end when the other team or person commits a violation. The kid should have gotten up and went to the duggout and let the coaches and umpires handle it.

The very notion that it's ok to retaliate with the same behavior (eye for an eye) is juvenile.

Be the better man rather than sink to their level.

Congrats to LC on a great record during the 2008 season!
DevilsWin Wrote:Good sportsmanship doesn't end when the other team or person commits a violation. The kid should have gotten up and went to the duggout and let the coaches and umpires handle it.

The very notion that it's ok to retaliate with the same behavior (eye for an eye) is juvenile.

Be the better man rather than sink to their level.

Congrats to LC on a great record during the 2008 season!

After reading all your posts on the situation it seems to me like your jealous of a very good program in LC and are trying to get back at them by saying all this stuff was there fault. You weren't there, so you have nothing to say about it, so just leave it at that. And about the incident at the boyd co. game in football.. I'm pretty sure Boyd started that one too, after one of our men were spit on by another player. So yeah you dont know everything, and get your story straight before acting like you do. :Thumbs:
Money Maker Wrote:After reading all your posts on the situation it seems to me like your jealous of a very good program in LC and are trying to get back at them by saying all this stuff was there fault. You weren't there, so you have nothing to say about it, so just leave it at that. And about the incident at the boyd co. game in football.. I'm pretty sure Boyd started that one too, after one of our men were spit on by another player. So yeah you dont know everything, and get your story straight before acting like you do. :Thumbs:
Wrong again.
Money Maker Wrote:After reading all your posts on the situation it seems to me like your jealous of a very good program in LC and are trying to get back at them by saying all this stuff was there fault. You weren't there, so you have nothing to say about it, so just leave it at that. And about the incident at the boyd co. game in football.. I'm pretty sure Boyd started that one too, after one of our men were spit on by another player. So yeah you dont know everything, and get your story straight before acting like you do. :Thumbs:

Jealous of what finishing 2nd best. Never!
I saw the "fireworks" on television and I would not label that outburst as "classy". The LC coaching staff reacted very inappropriately. I also thought the coach's comments about the attitude of PRP toward his players was out of line. Perhaps he should look at his own team and their treatment of other teams before "calling the kettle black"!
DevilsWin Wrote:Jealous of what finishing 2nd best. Never!

You are unbelievable! I think the coaching staff did handle themselves with class due to the fact they didn't retaliate against PRP in anyway. Any other coach in America would have thrown at the next kid that came to bat, but they didn't. They went on with the game and tried to win, so in my book they didn't retaliate at all.
Batpuff Wrote:Well Cyrus came out flat and couldnt find the zone in the 1st inning but still got out of it only allowing two runs..

Now time to grip a little... Well to start with the catcher from PRP is well I better not say but he should have been tossed early in the game for comments that he made to Brad Laney after Laney struck out... Ok Laney done the right thing by tell MR Ump who did nothing then a coach went to him and did nothing.... Ok here was the turning point in the game Lane was on 3rd with 2 outs. He fakes a steal home and the catcher throws down to 3rd and the ball gets away from cox so Laney make a break for home well there is a play at the plate in which at the time it was 2-1 PRP.... Laney slides in and the ball gets there at the same time the catcher drops the ball and you can see him pick it back up and show the ump that he had the ball.... No big deal yea it would have tied the game but what set the fire works off is after the ump called him out and laney still laying on the ground at home the PRP catcher throws the ball right at Laney's head and the UMP does nothing and then thats when the benches cleared and the fire works began.... All it takes is one bad apple to take away from a great game..... Yes PRP is good.... Are they better then LC no they are not.. Yes they did win... But LC gave them all and more then they wanted.

From what I saw on TV and from what I heard from those that were there, the play at the plate was huge. I did not see the catcher drop the ball and pick it back up. From what I saw on TV, the player never made the plate. However, if the catcher mishandled the ball, he is guilty of obstruction and the run scores. That is a change in the rules this year. You MUST HAVE SECURE POSSESSION OF THE BALL TO BLOCK THE PLATE. Also, even if you have possession of the ball, if you mishandle the ball, as in it coming loose on the play, it is still obstruction and the run scores. It is a delayed dead ball situation.
Before this year, if the play was imminent, you could do what the catcher did and drop the ball, pick it back up and tag the runner. I thought the umpires did a good job as usual. If the umpire only missed one thing in this game, he did a pretty good job. I know the tensions were high, but coaches and players still must control themselves. Was the catcher guilty of taunting, yes he was. Was it bad enough for ejection, that depends on the umpire. It is his decision, good or bad. From a neutral standpoint, I think he could have let it go or ejected him, but the umpire chose to try to keep the players in the game and let the game be decided by the teams involved. I am sure this play will be discussed by umpires statewide, and you will get a lot of different answers from them. But it is easy to sit back at home or in the stands and make a call.
LC is just a great team and have nothing to be ashamed of.
commonsense Wrote:From what I saw on TV and from what I heard from those that were there, the play at the plate was huge. I did not see the catcher drop the ball and pick it back up. From what I saw on TV, the player never made the plate. However, if the catcher mishandled the ball, he is guilty of obstruction and the run scores. That is a change in the rules this year. You MUST HAVE SECURE POSSESSION OF THE BALL TO BLOCK THE PLATE. Also, even if you have possession of the ball, if you mishandle the ball, as in it coming loose on the play, it is still obstruction and the run scores. It is a delayed dead ball situation.
Before this year, if the play was imminent, you could do what the catcher did and drop the ball, pick it back up and tag the runner. I thought the umpires did a good job as usual. If the umpire only missed one thing in this game, he did a pretty good job. I know the tensions were high, but coaches and players still must control themselves. Was the catcher guilty of taunting, yes he was. Was it bad enough for ejection, that depends on the umpire. It is his decision, good or bad. From a neutral standpoint, I think he could have let it go or ejected him, but the umpire chose to try to keep the players in the game and let the game be decided by the teams involved. I am sure this play will be discussed by umpires statewide, and you will get a lot of different answers from them. But it is easy to sit back at home or in the stands and make a call.

Great post...:rockon:
magic21 Wrote:I saw the "fireworks" on television and I would not label that outburst as "classy". The LC coaching staff reacted very inappropriately. I also thought the coach's comments about the attitude of PRP toward his players was out of line. Perhaps he should look at his own team and their treatment of other teams before "calling the kettle black"!

Let's clarify that noone argued that Laney wasnt out-he was. But if someone can find anywhere in the book that it is classy to spike a ball at someone's head after the out, I'd love to see it. I saw it from behind hom plate and it was uncalled for. The kid made the tag and the out-enough done. That kind of arrogance shouldn't have been ignored.

Congrats to PRP on the win and even more congrats to LC for making us all very proud. You sure turned some heads in lexington!!!
This thread is about Lawrence and PRP.

Any more bashing of either team of bringing up totally irrelevant information will result in the thread closing.

Some people really need to grow up. You remind me of my kids arguing. Seems like anyone having a differing opinion of a situation has to be ridiculed buy bringing up things that don't even pertain to the discussion.
Dawg@heart Wrote:Let's clarify that noone argued that Laney wasnt out-he was. But if someone can find anywhere in the book that it is classy to spike a ball at someone's head after the out, I'd love to see it. I saw it from behind hom plate and it was uncalled for. The kid made the tag and the out-enough done. That kind of arrogance shouldn't have been ignored.

Congrats to PRP on the win and even more congrats to LC for making us all very proud. You sure turned some heads in lexington!!!
I think everyone is missing my only point.

Sure the PRP player should not have spiked the ball. No one is disputing that. No one is even disputing wether or not he spiked the ball. No said it was classy.

No one is disputing wether Laney was out.

No one is disputing that the umpire should have made a call.

What remains unclear to me and others that were not at the game is:

Was the umpire in a position to make a call?

Did the umpire see the kid from PRP spike the ball?

Did the kid spike the ball in a malicious fashion or was it a heat of the moment expression of celebration and just happened to nearly hit Laney?

Exactly what kind of "fireworks" were there when "the benches cleared"? I.E. punches, chest bumps, cursing, dirt kicking, kicking, wrestling. What?????

My whole point though is that sportsmanship is about rising above the fray and not letting your emotions get the best of you on the states biggest baseball platform, and that goes for both schools.
DevilsWin Wrote:I think everyone is missing my only point.

Sure the PRP player should not have spiked the ball. No one is disputing that. No one is even disputing wether or not he spiked the ball. No said it was classy.

No one is disputing wether Laney was out.

No one is disputing that the umpire should have made a call.

What remains unclear to me and others that were not at the game is:

Was the umpire in a position to make a call?

Did the umpire see the kid from PRP spike the ball?

Did the kid spike the ball in a malicious fashion or was it a heat of the moment expression of celebration and just happened to nearly hit Laney?

Exactly what kind of "fireworks" were there when "the benches cleared"? I.E. punches, chest bumps, cursing, dirt kicking, kicking, wrestling. What?????

My whole point though is that sportsmanship is about rising above the fray and not letting your emotions get the best of you on the states biggest baseball platform, and that goes for both schools.
Yes the Umpire was in position to see the play and the kid spike the ball at his head.... And what upsets me is that they told the ump earlier in the game about the comments made toward Laney.... They fire works was the Coaches getting into with the umps and the other coaches...... and yes both benches did come onto the field but no punches or any other thing other then tempers.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Batpuff Wrote:Yes the Umpire was in position to see the play and the kid spike the ball at his head.... And what upsets me is that they told the ump earlier in the game about the comments made toward Laney.... They fire works was the Coaches getting into with the umps and the other coaches...... and yes both benches did come onto the field but no punches or any other thing other then tempers.
Thanks for that clarification Batpuff!
commonsense Wrote:From what I saw on TV and from what I heard from those that were there, the play at the plate was huge. I did not see the catcher drop the ball and pick it back up. From what I saw on TV, the player never made the plate. However, if the catcher mishandled the ball, he is guilty of obstruction and the run scores. That is a change in the rules this year. You MUST HAVE SECURE POSSESSION OF THE BALL TO BLOCK THE PLATE. Also, even if you have possession of the ball, if you mishandle the ball, as in it coming loose on the play, it is still obstruction and the run scores. It is a delayed dead ball situation.

Well put seems like u might be a umpire but i watched the play on ihigh.com and have also talked to other umpires that was at the game in the stands and i was told that the catcher from PRP was really laying in on thick on the LC player i dont know if the ump gave the catcher a warning or not but i was going to comment on the situation but u took the words out of my mouth on it...but it just seems to me knowing the LC coaching staff like i do that its takes a lot for them to come out as they did go as far a bumping a coach but i wasnet there but....i just liked they way u put things on the situation....