Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Read this and tell me if this is racist.
thecavemaster Wrote:MLK is a national treasure because, for a moment, hope and history rhymed. He gave utterance to the huddled masses; he was far from a perfect man, but he was a great man. He spoke to the conscience of a nation, reminding it of its ideals, its true dreams, its real destiny among nations. He had the courage to walk through a mob ready to kill him for having the audacity to claim that black skin covered a god-made heart that was promised freedom and equality and dignity by its nation.

Agreed.

Yet. No holiday was needed, and no one even cares enough to do anything to 'remember' this man on that day... except for a handful of southern baptist churches.
ronald_reagan Wrote:I dunno about that. LOL

I just think he's another man. And without him, my life wouldn't be drastically different IMO.

Honor him if you must. I have no problem. But I wouldn't lose an ounce of sleep if it wasn't a federal holiday... or if we didn't honor him in any way.

MLK was only 1 in a million crying out for the same thing. For some reason, he jsut became the one that got on the media, and had the financial backing. Just another man... just another man.
my teacher pointed that out last year you do have a point......

Rammstein Ist Wunderbar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lexington has a MLK day parade and luncheon. This February, RR, let's me and you go. Then, I'll go to an event that you think I might find enlightening. I think the breakfast (now that I think about it...haven't been in a few years) is around $15.00.
thecavemaster Wrote:Lexington has a MLK day parade and luncheon. This February, RR, let's me and you go. Then, I'll go to an event that you think I might find enlightening. I think the breakfast (now that I think about it...haven't been in a few years) is around $15.00.

I live in Lexington. I've heard about that.

I was being mildly humorous in the post above.

But trust me, no one cares. lol

I'd rather not go... if I wanted to, I could go to the waffle house a few hours before and be eating with the same people, for half the price. Big Grin

But if I were going to pick a meeting to go to with you of my choice.... you'd have to pay for it, but probably a Gingrich speach ($500 or so a person fundraiser lol). He comes here now and then.
HAHAHAHA,

Check out what Virginia did!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee-Jackson-King_Day
While I do not share Newt's philosophies in a lot of areas, I do find him eloquent, entertaining, genuinely thoughtful in his approach.
thecavemaster Wrote:While I do not share Newt's philosophies in a lot of areas, I do find him eloquent, entertaining, genuinely thoughtful in his approach.

I figured that you would. Honestly.

Most that disagree with him, HATE him.

Thats like me hating Obama, who in my opinion is a jr. version of Newt with different political affiliations of course.
IMO, we need to, as a country, regain the ability to disagree, even vehemently, even using Oxford style debating, without villifying. I'm sure you know this, RR, but Tip O'Neil and RR were pretty far apart politically/philosophically, yet they loved to hang out.. and it was apparently a riot when they got together.
thecavemaster Wrote:IMO, we need to, as a country, regain the ability to disagree, even vehemently, even using Oxford style debating, without villifying. I'm sure you know this, RR, but Tip O'Neil and RR were pretty far apart politically/philosophically, yet they loved to hang out.. and it was apparently a riot when they got together.

RR once said that someone explain to him what PacMan was..." They said it was this round thing... that gobbled up money... well, I thought that they were talking about Tip O'Neill." Big Grin

Harry Reid and Bill Frist always were polar opposities... yet met often at one anothers personal residences for dinner. No politics were ever discussed. Then the next day, they'd be at each others throats......
ronald_reagan Wrote:I dunno about that. LOL

I just think he's another man. And without him, my life wouldn't be drastically different IMO.

Honor him if you must. I have no problem. But I wouldn't lose an ounce of sleep if it wasn't a federal holiday... or if we didn't honor him in any way.

MLK was only 1 in a million crying out for the same thing. For some reason, he jsut became the one that got on the media, and had the financial backing. Just another man... just another man.

Well without him my life would have been totally different. God put him on the earth for a reason and I think he accomplished the goal. As far as not thinking it should be a holiday then do your normal routine but I know I'm going to celebrate it.
jackbenimble Wrote:Well without him my life would have been totally different. God put him on the earth for a reason and I think he accomplished the goal. As far as not thinking it should be a holiday then do your normal routine but I know I'm going to celebrate it.

Thats cool... no biggie.

As for me, on that day.. hopefully its snowing, and I'll do some sledding...
RammsteinFan92 Wrote:I was talking to one of my friends and he said "why is their a holiday for a black man (MLK) and not one for the white man?" then he went on to say "all MLK done was nag and nag for black rights and then he got shot!"......for one there is a holiday for the "white man"....Presidents day.....and i think by my friend saying that he is Disgraceing MLK......WHAT DO U THINK??????:redboxer:

I haven't read any posts in this thread, but MLK did a lot for black rights, although I have thought about it because I think he did a lot for black rights, but celebrating him is almost agreeing that there's two different societies- a black and a white, and if he did a lot for black rights, then it's segregating the 2.

However, even though there has never been a black president, your comment about president's day being a white holiday seemed very racist to me, but it's all in perception.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
I think that they should declare a Holiday for Hank Jr! He is an Icon and has made Monday Nights one of the best nights ever! Say the first Monday night of the NFL Season! LOL

"Are you ready for a H-O-L-I-D-A-Y!!!!!"

Come on guys! Agree with me!
OffTheHook Wrote:I think that they should declare a Holiday for Hank Jr! He is an Icon and has made Monday Nights one of the best nights ever! Say the first Monday night of the NFL Season! LOL

"Are you ready for a H-O-L-I-D-A-Y!!!!!"

Come on guys! Agree with me!

Well if you include Hank Jr... its only natural that we put David Allan Coe somewhere on the calander.
ronald_reagan Wrote:Well if you include Hank Jr... its only natural that we put David Allan Coe somewhere on the calander.

Well, ya see there is where I have to disagree. I like his music. BUT, He sure as heck don't deserve a Holiday. Wink
It's not racist.
sherman14 Wrote:It's not racist.
yes it is....your saying it's not because you said it!!!! Smile
ronald_reagan Wrote:I'm telling ya...

Reagan's birthday ought to replace Christmas... lol And 5 times that day, we should all bow in prayers facing his grave.
I am pretty sure you are only kidding, but IMHO, this is the absolute poorest attempt at humor ever. Good thing our Lord is very forgiving.
Ronald Reagan Day. Five times a day give an illegal handgun to an illegal alien and say, "Oliver North says it is o.k."
The Guru Wrote:I am pretty sure you are only kidding, but IMHO, this is the absolute poorest attempt at humor ever. Good thing our Lord is very forgiving.

Excuse me guru?

I don't need the Lords forgivness in talking about federal holidays.... Jesus didn't start Christmas, the Catholic church did. Further, Christmas is NOT Jesus' birthday. It was closer to April.
thecavemaster Wrote:Ronald Reagan Day. Five times a day give an illegal handgun to an illegal alien and say, "Oliver North says it is o.k."

Cavemaster Day: Corn Festival 2008. Big Grin
BFritz Wrote:I haven't read any posts in this thread, but MLK did a lot for black rights, although I have thought about it because I think he did a lot for black rights, but celebrating him is almost agreeing that there's two different societies- a black and a white, and if he did a lot for black rights, then it's segregating the 2.

However, even though there has never been a black president, your comment about president's day being a white holiday seemed very racist to me, but it's all in perception.
the reason i said that was that was the closest to a white holiday....but if i offended you i'm very sorry i just tried to prove my point to my friend on here
ronald_reagan Wrote:Cavemaster Day: Corn Festival 2008. Big Grin

There is already a Corn Festival. I still contend that in pertinence to viability, the corn seed to stalk to ear is useful.