Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Read this and tell me if this is racist.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was talking to one of my friends and he said "why is their a holiday for a black man (MLK) and not one for the white man?" then he went on to say "all MLK done was nag and nag for black rights and then he got shot!"......for one there is a holiday for the "white man"....Presidents day.....and i think by my friend saying that he is Disgraceing MLK......WHAT DO U THINK??????:redboxer:
RammsteinFan92 Wrote:I was talking to one of my friends and he said "why is their a holiday for a black man (MLK) and not one for the white man?" then he went on to say "all MLK done was nag and nag for black rights and then he got shot!"......for one there is a holiday for the "white man"....Presidents day.....and i think by my friend saying that he is Disgraceing MLK......WHAT DO U THINK??????:redboxer:

I make this point now and then. Not to be rascist. But there is only one federal holiday that honors an American in the entire year. And its MLK. We used to celebrate Washington's birthday, but now its all presidents on that day. Its rascist though to say it the way he did. The way i feel is that there's more important people throughout our history that should be honored as well.

I personally think that Reagan's birthday should be a universal holiday, in the constitution! Big Grin
ronald_reagan Wrote:I make this point now and then. Not to be rascist. But there is only one federal holiday that honors an American in the entire year. And its MLK. We used to celebrate Washington's birthday, but now its all presidents on that day. Its rascist though to say it the way he did. The way i feel is that there's more important people throughout our history that should be honored as well.

I personally think that Reagan's birthday should be a universal holiday, in the constitution! Big Grin
you know who said that.....your buddy Sherman14...but i'm glad you kinda agree with me for a change.....but i thought his statement was way out of hand.....because MLK done so much...and a "white" doesn't need to say something Bad About Him.....YOu See My Point????.......
RammsteinFan92 Wrote:you know who said that.....your buddy Sherman14...but i'm glad you kinda agree with me for a change.....but i thought his statement was way out of hand.....because MLK done so much...and a "white" doesn't need to say something Bad About Him.....YOu See My Point????.......

i see your point, and kinda agree with ya.

but the fact is, mlk shouldn't have a federal holiday... its just another day off WITH pay for the federal government. Reagan campaigned against this, and wanted it for a weekend. Wouldn't ya know it though.... they'd not get a day off with pay. lol

Doesn't affect me in the least though, to be honest. I just wish a white american were honored that way as well. So then there'd be no need for some people to cry about it.
ronald_reagan Wrote:i see your point, and kinda agree with ya.

but the fact is, mlk shouldn't have a federal holiday... its just another day off WITH pay for the federal government. Reagan campaigned against this, and wanted it for a weekend. Wouldn't ya know it though.... they'd not get a day off with pay. lol

Doesn't affect me in the least though, to be honest. I just wish a white american were honored that way as well. So then there'd be no need for some people to cry about it.
if any white american needs to be honored i think it would be Lincoln.....but yea i agree....that's most likely why it was made a legal holiday....was to get people out of work on pay......yea i wish they would too so people like Sherman14 would Shut-up
Do you think the United ***** College Fund is being racist? What about Black Entertainment Television? I kinda understand where your friend is coming from. MLK was a great man and accomplished great things and made great strides for the African American people. But IMO some African American people, some, not all, (Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson) are more racist than anyone out there. If I say the N word, I'm a racist, but if a black man says it, he is cool. And to be honest, I get tired of people saying I have oppressed them or slavery this and slavery that. I have never oppressed anyone or ever owned a slave. Sorry if this offended anyone, it was not meant to offend. Just stating what I believed to be facts.
No, I agree completely CB.

Its much like race based affirmative action. Its disgusting.
ronald_reagan Wrote:No, I agree completely CB.

Its much like race based affirmative action. Its disgusting.
I believe we agree. I have black women in my family. My older brothers that live in Ohio are married to them. I love them with all my heart and they are fine people. We have discussed this before. And they agree with me. For example: We celebrate Black Heritage Month every year. What if we celebrated White Heritage Month? There would be an uproar over it. I personally believe it to be racist, if I can't apply to the United ***** College Fund because I'm white. If we had a United Caucasian College Fund, we would in turn be racist. I hope you understand my point. The Civil War is over, the 60's are over, we all should be better people from it and be on an even playing ground IMO.
Crossbones Wrote:I believe we agree. I have black women in my family. My older brothers that live in Ohio are married to them. I love them with all my heart and they are fine people. We have discussed this before. And they agree with me. For example: We celebrate Black Heritage Month every year. What if we celebrated White Heritage Month? There would be an uproar over it. I personally believe it to be racist, if I can't apply to the United ***** College Fund because I'm white. If we had a United Caucasian College Fund, we would in turn be racist. I hope you understand my point. The Civil War is over, the 60's are over, we all should be better people from it and be on an even playing ground IMO.
i agree also African americans aren't really oppressed now a days....i also agree with what you said about the N word it shouldn't be exclusive for one race....it shouldn't be said at all....your right i think Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are Racists also......
Martin Luther King Jr. confronted America with a "promissory note" called the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence. He preached and lived non-violence, though some who participated in the movement did not. He was a flawed human being. If we can have a Colombus day, and to read that history is to give one pause for thought, is there really any point to grousing about a MLK day?
thecavemaster Wrote:Martin Luther King Jr. confronted America with a "promissory note" called the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence. He preached and lived non-violence, though some who participated in the movement did not. He was a flawed human being. If we can have a Colombus day, and to read that history is to give one pause for thought, is there really any point to grousing about a MLK day?

Columbus wasn't an American. Nor did he step foot upon even the shores of this future nation.

Like I said though, I ain't gonna let it bother me. Just another guy... who did nothing for me.
Why isn't there a Rosa Parks Day???? She did just as much in one day for the African American's than MLK did in how many years???
I think MLK Day is a joke. Why isn't there a Womens Rights Day or somethin for all those women who fought and fought for equality?
And I'll bet when Al Sharpton's racist arse dies there will be a national holiday for him. It's a JOKE....
Redneck Wrote:And I'll bet when Al Sharpton's racist arse dies there will be a national holiday for him. It's a JOKE....

I can't wait til we find out. Big Grin
ronald_reagan Wrote:I can't wait til we find out. Big Grin

No kiddin...
ronald_reagan Wrote:I can't wait til we find out. Big Grin
But Everything aside you can't say MLK wasn't a Good Man and didn't get anything done
Redneck Wrote:Why isn't there a Rosa Parks Day???? She did just as much in one day for the African American's than MLK did in how many years???
I think MLK Day is a joke. Why isn't there a Womens Rights Day or somethin for all those women who fought and fought for equality?
there should be holidays like that....
RammsteinFan92 Wrote:But Everything aside you can't say MLK wasn't a Good Man and didn't get anything done

I sorta agree with ya. There could be MLK day. But a federal holiday?

Ahhh, its done.

Blacks aren't slaves, and they share our toilets. Mission accomplished.
RammsteinFan92 Wrote:there should be holidays like that....

Just like there should be a Knute Rockne Day, James Naismith Day, Paul "Bear" Bryant Day etc. Big Grin
Redneck Wrote:Just like there should be a Knute Rockne Day, James Naismith Day, Paul "Bear" Bryant Day etc. Big Grin

I'm telling ya...

Reagan's birthday ought to replace Christmas... lol And 5 times that day, we should all bow in prayers facing his grave.
ronald_reagan Wrote:I sorta agree with ya. There could be MLK day. But a federal holiday?

Ahhh, its done.

Blacks aren't slaves, and they share our toilets. Mission accomplished.
lol.....you do make a point
"...not by the color of the skin but by the content of the character". Mission not accomplished, nor will it ever be, sadly enough. Racism, tribeism, nationalism... not just a white/black issue... a human issue... and a sad one at that, full of blood and war and grief
thecavemaster Wrote:"...not by the color of the skin but by the content of the character". Mission not accomplished, nor will it ever be, sadly enough. Racism, tribeism, nationalism... not just a white/black issue... a human issue... and a sad one at that, full of blood and war and grief
Nice , quoting MLK and say there shouldn't be a day? , 1st off MLK did more than what you are crediting him for. He is the single most influential person in history that separated the barriers of race. Now it's not fair to say a president should get a holiday because a president would have more power and can do more things. But to say that he shouldn't have a holiday is crazy. He deserves it. End of story!
jackbenimble Wrote:he deserves it. End of story

Now I believe. Smile

What is a holiday JBN?

"Holy Day". "Holyday". "Holiday".

When is the last time you were off of school, or work for MLK Day, did you sit down in silence and reflect upon all the great things this man done?
I didn't say there shouldn't be a MLK day. Must have been someone else's post. Simply saying that within human nature exists a tendency toward racism, sexism, nationalism that is not limited to color of skin or country of origin.
ronald_reagan Wrote:Now I believe. Smile

What is a holiday JBN?

"Holy Day". "Holyday". "Holiday".

When is the last time you were off of school, or work for MLK Day, did you sit down in silence and reflect upon all the great things this man done?

Well lets see. How about you get a history book and study it? He's had death threats , been beaten , water hoses sprayed at him , and finally killed but he never once was afraid to fight for what he believed in and as for sitting down and analyzing what he did, alot.
jackbenimble Wrote:well lets c , how about u get a history book and study it , hes had death threats , been beaten , water hoses spraid at him , and finally killed but he never once was afraid to fight for what he beleive in , and as for sitting down and analyzing what he did, alot.

Ok, that doesn't answer my question... but anyways

Thats not a reason for a holiday. I've recieved death threats, been beaten, been sprayed with a water hose.. and will die someday too. What day shall they pick for me?
ronald_reagan Wrote:Ok, that doesn't answer my question... but anyways

Thats not a reason for a holiday. I've recieved death threats, been beaten, been sprayed with a water hose.. and will die someday too. What day shall they pick for me?
well you have to asdmit it's kinda diffrent from you and MLK.....

Rammstein Ist Wunderbar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RammsteinFan92 Wrote:well you have to asdmit it's kinda diffrent from you and MLK.....

I dunno about that. LOL

I just think he's another man. And without him, my life wouldn't be drastically different IMO.

Honor him if you must. I have no problem. But I wouldn't lose an ounce of sleep if it wasn't a federal holiday... or if we didn't honor him in any way.

MLK was only 1 in a million crying out for the same thing. For some reason, he jsut became the one that got on the media, and had the financial backing. Just another man... just another man.
MLK is a national treasure because, for a moment, hope and history rhymed. He gave utterance to the huddled masses; he was far from a perfect man, but he was a great man. He spoke to the conscience of a nation, reminding it of its ideals, its true dreams, its real destiny among nations. He had the courage to walk through a mob ready to kill him for having the audacity to claim that black skin covered a god-made heart that was promised freedom and equality and dignity by its nation.
Pages: 1 2