Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky 91 Mississippi State 89
(02-29-2024, 11:02 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: You are wanting to go back to the days of Givens, Lee, Turpin, Dirk Minnefield, Larry Johnson. The college basketball landscape has changed. It is "one and done, " transfer portal, "  NIL.  I'm not crazy about it, either. But it is what it is. It's not just Cal. It's EVERYBODY! That's college sports now. We are never going back to Dirk Minnefield.

We can love it or hate it, but there's a lot of validity to this. College sports have changed.

Smaller schools or non-traditional powers would do the same thing Kentucky is doing if they were able. They'd love to flaunt available NIL money (even if it had to go unspoken) and their history of putting players in the pros.

The sentimental value of having been a great player in the mind of someone from Kentucky that he's never met is obviously great for someone like an Aaron Harrison or Jeff Brassow, but that's not something that they can use to buy groceries or diapers for their kid if they move back home to Houston once they've finished playing; meanwhile their school, the NCAA, media networks, apparel companies, and other merchants have profited nicely from their talents.

Before you give me the "but they get a free education" line, I want you to consider whether a high level athlete at Kentucky gets to choose their schedule (or if they are told what they'll be taking by an advisor) and how it would go for them if they tried enrolling for "pre-med" courses while they were actively playing.

No, I'm not saying that the players are or were ever starving, nor that they didn't see benefits, just that what we're seeing now is more equitable for them.

I don't know that there's a conflict in feeling this way while also saying that, since 2015, Cal should have done more with the resources available to him either.
I agree to a point, but I believe UK (Cal) takes that to an extreme level. I'm not sure but I would be willing to bet that UK leads all other colleges in the one and done program. But OSH is correct to a point; I'm old. I don't believe that anyone should play professional sports until they're 21 years of age.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Granny Bear's post:
  • Cactus Jack
(02-29-2024, 03:19 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: I agree to a point, but I believe UK (Cal) takes that to an extreme level.  I'm not sure but I would be willing to bet that UK leads all other colleges in the one and done program.  But OSH is correct to a point; I'm old.  I don't believe that anyone should play professional sports until they're 21 years of age.

And I'm getting old ,too. Hell, if I could get in a time machine and go back to the 70's, I would do it right here, right now. I'm with you, granny, I don't like the direction that college sports has taken. And yes, Cal has embraced it and it has made him very rich and a lot of his ballplayers very rich. I don't blame anyone , Cal or kids, for taking money that is thrown at them, because we all would take whatever we could get.  I wish we could go back to the days when we had a bunch of kids that stayed around for four years and played for the pride of representing UK  but , as Don Henley once wrote, "those days are gone forever."  Maybe we should just let them go.
I'm fine with college basketball. I'm just not fine with UK being mediocre.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Cactus Jack
(02-29-2024, 05:21 PM)jetpilot Wrote: I'm fine with college basketball. I'm just not fine with UK being mediocre.

No one in their right mind believes UK is mediocre.  You couldn't find five people on this board that believes that craziness. 
99% of DIV I programs would sacrifice testicles to be Kentucky. And the ones who wouldn't are delusional and think they are something they're not.
(02-29-2024, 06:50 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(02-29-2024, 05:21 PM)jetpilot Wrote: I'm fine with college basketball. I'm just not fine with UK being mediocre.

No one in their right mind believes UK is mediocre.  You couldn't find five people on this board that believes that craziness. 
99% of DIV I programs would sacrifice testicles to be Kentucky. And the ones who wouldn't are delusional and think they are something they're not.

LOL! At least 3 teams in the SEC wouldn't trade places with UK right now fool. Cal's record is there for everyone to see. You can't fool anyone.

Off topic - you seem to always have man parts on the brain. Creepy
(02-29-2024, 09:53 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(02-29-2024, 06:50 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

LOL! At least 3 teams in the SEC wouldn't trade places with UK right now fool. Cal's record is there for everyone to see. You can't fool anyone.

Off topic - you seem to always have man parts on the brain. Creepy

At least I support our Hall of Fame coach instead of violent seditionists. 

Pearl, Oats, and Barnes would leave their respective programs in an instant if UK came callin' . You are so shamelessly down on your university. Disloyalty must be in your DNA. lol
Don’t know which is more idiotic, HoF, seditionist or disloyal. You are wrong more than anyone I have ever encountered and I have had to deal with insufferable people all my life.
(02-29-2024, 12:58 AM)jetpilot Wrote: HoF doesn't mean jack but it's all you got to deflect the mediocrity. And I support the team and coach 100% every game. Another of a neverending stream of red herrings from you. I have two degrees from UK. A guy who never went there cannot begin to fathom what that university (sports programs included) means to me. You defend mediocrity, I want much better.

I’m jealous, JP, I only have one from UK. Class of ‘85. When did you graduate (first time). While I was there, football was bad, basketball was decent, it was the last of the Joe B. years, leading into Eddie Sutton’s tenure. I would have loved to have been a student when football was competitive and basketball was still really rolling.
Anyway, despite being admonished for saying Arkansas could be dangerous, I will go with the Cats tomorrow by a good margin, something like 90-75.
[-] The following 2 users Like Van Hagar's post:
  • Cactus Jack, jetpilot
(03-01-2024, 08:02 AM)Van Hagar Wrote:
(02-29-2024, 12:58 AM)jetpilot Wrote: HoF doesn't mean jack but it's all you got to deflect the mediocrity. And I support the team and coach 100% every game. Another of a neverending stream of red herrings from you. I have two degrees from UK. A guy who never went there cannot begin to fathom what that university (sports programs included) means to me. You defend mediocrity, I want much better.

I’m jealous, JP, I only have one from UK. Class of ‘85. When did you graduate (first time). While I was there, football was bad, basketball was decent, it was the last of the Joe B. years, leading into Eddie Sutton’s tenure. I would have loved to have been a student when football was competitive and basketball was still really rolling.
  Anyway, despite being admonished for saying Arkansas could be dangerous, I will go with the Cats tomorrow by a good margin, something like 90-75.

It was a tender, loving admonishment. lol  But you are right, this UK team is about as trustworthy as Kenneth Copeland and Jim Baaker around your finances. These Cats could struggle with anyone or they could beat the dickens out of any of the best teams. But they better beat the snot out of the Hogs because they are some dreadful pork.
(03-01-2024, 08:02 AM)Van Hagar Wrote:

No need to be jealous VH. Nobody cares about degrees anymore. Class of '87. We were definitely on campus together, how about that. Hell, we could have sat beside each other in one of those lecture halls in the Classroom Building, played each other in foosball at Two Keys, been in the same beer line at Keeneland when we should have been in class or studying, or talking to the same girls at 2001, Balloons, Surf City or Smuggler's Inn (we called it Strugglers lol). Or the best would be standing beside each other at a Dr. Jed Smock stump speech on campus. Remember that dude? He was a scream lol. 

As for Arkansas I am cautious like you. As we all know, a Cal team can beat anyone on a given day but can also lose to anyone on a given day. I expect the Cats to take care of business but it's not a given. And since I am now committed to match OSH red herring for red herring, a double digit lead by a Cal coached team is even less safe than a little girl's hair around Joe Biden and even more scary less safe than your cocaine around Hunter.
^^
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Class of '87???  Damn I am so much older than EVERYBODY here!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Granny Bear's post:
  • jetpilot
Now GB, we are talking COLLEGE classes, so we aren’t exactly fresh off the farm either! And JP, remember the girl that would come with Dr. Jed? I believe they called her Sister Cindy. She took more verbal abuse than any woman should ever have to take. And I should know, cause I was involved with a few insults thrown her way.
I spent time in a number of the, um, activities you mentioned. I actually lived in Keeneland Hall my last three years, it’s basically right next to the Two Keys. And I would also add many sunny days at the Meadowbrook Par 3, ( it’s still there, a great way to spend time instead of some stupid math class you were supposed to be in). Anyway, any time I go to a UK football game, I always park over behind the Wildcat Lodge in that area so I can walk across the entire campus to the stadium. Makes me miss those days so bad it hurts sometimes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • jetpilot
OMG I FORGOT ABOUT SISTER CINDY!!!! I am crying here! That made my day lol...I started out at Kirwan II, moved up to Kirwan Tower, then year in frat house (highly unproductive to say the least) then went on to apartment life. It's unreal, I park in the same area as you so I can make that same walk.

I know off topic here but true Jed Smock story. Standing there with a great Pikeville buddy (RIP) listening to Jed and laughing our a$$es off, Jed is screaming that all the whores at UK have put all the prostitutes in Lexington out of business. By now everyone is already crying laughing. He screams that the dorms were even condoning it (UK had just gone co-ed in some dorms). Jed screams a guy and girl in a dorm room, what are they doing? People laughing and playing along. Someone yells "STUDYING!!!". Jed screams "NOOOOOOOOO!!!!". Somebody yells "EATING PIZZA!!!". Jed screams "NOOOOOOOO!!!!!". My buddy screams "FOR-NI-CA-TING!!!" Jed wheels around, points right at us and screams "YOU GOT ITTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!". The whole crowd exploded, just broke up. Thanks a lot Van, I'm sad now lol. Looks like a 2 hour, 4 pint lunch at Wild Wings. Damn what great times.
(03-01-2024, 01:21 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Now GB, we are talking COLLEGE classes, so we aren’t exactly fresh off the farm either! And JP, remember the girl that would come with Dr. Jed? I believe they called her Sister Cindy. She took more verbal abuse than any woman should ever have to take. And I should know, cause I was involved with a few insults thrown her way.
  I spent time in a number of the, um, activities you mentioned. I actually lived in Keeneland Hall my last three years, it’s basically right next to the Two Keys. And I would also add many sunny days at the Meadowbrook Par 3, ( it’s still there, a great way to spend time instead of some stupid math class you were supposed to be in).  Anyway, any time I go to a UK football game, I always park over behind the Wildcat Lodge in that area so I can walk across the entire campus to the stadium. Makes me miss those days so bad it hurts sometimes.

I received BOTH of my college degrees before 1987!!
Confused Confused Confused
(03-01-2024, 02:05 PM)jetpilot Wrote: OMG I FORGOT ABOUT SISTER CINDY!!!! I am crying here! That made my day lol...I started out at Kirwan II, moved up to Kirwan Tower, then year in frat house (highly unproductive to say the least) then went on to apartment life. It's unreal, I park in the same area as you so I can make that same walk.

I know off topic here but true Jed Smock story. Standing there with a great Pikeville buddy (RIP) listening to Jed and laughing our a$$es off, Jed is screaming that all the whores at UK have put all the prostitutes in Lexington out of business. By now everyone is already crying laughing. He screams that the dorms were even condoning it (UK had just gone co-ed in some dorms). Jed screams a guy and girl in a dorm room, what are they doing? People laughing and playing along. Someone yells "STUDYING!!!". Jed screams "NOOOOOOOOO!!!!". Somebody yells "EATING PIZZA!!!". Jed screams "NOOOOOOOO!!!!!". My buddy screams "FOR-NI-CA-TING!!!" Jed wheels around, points right at us and screams "YOU GOT ITTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!". The whole crowd exploded, just broke up. Thanks a lot Van, I'm sad now lol. Looks like a 2 hour, 4 pint lunch at Wild Wings. Damn what great times.

"Sister" Cindy and "Brother" Jed were must see entertainment on the campus of EKU in the early '80s when I was there matriculating. I spent many, many hours being entertained by them. They were not married when I saw them on campus. Not sure what year they became husband and wife. As looney as they were, I think they really believed in what they were doing. I remember seeing them on the Sally Jesse Raphael Show. Sally got mad that they kept insulting her audience. She told them they would never be invited back. Jed and Cindy's message was similar in content and delivery to the crazies out in Topeka, Kansas.

I believe Jed and Cindy did more good for the world than almost anyone I can think of. They single-handedly turned more impressionable , young college kids into rational thinking atheists than anyone else in the country, before or since. They were more effective in that regard than any college professor I ever had.  Thank you, J & C. 

Sadly, Brother Jed passed away a couple of years ago.

Thumbnail(s)

^Jed is in heaven, so you don’t have to worry about ever seeing him again.
We are gonna have to do a whole thread on the general discussion site for people who went to UK. Even if it’s only you and me, I think I could fire off 50-100 stories! Ahh, good times.
Here’s my last one on this thread, and I swear I’ll get back to basketball. One of my Clay Co. buddies, a year behind me, turned 21 and wanted me to go out to a strip club with him. We went to Camelot East. Now the Camelot’s did not have, shall we say, any Miss America’s working there. They were more like 4th place winners in the Miss Bugtussel pageant. One of them came up and was talking to my buddy. She wasn’t a looker, but I knew I had seen her somewhere, just couldn’t place it. When she walked off I asked my buddy who that was. He said “Oh, that was” and told me her name. She was also from Clay Co. That’s when it hit me. I said, “Didn’t she just kill her husband a few months ago?” And my buddy just said yeah, that’s her. I recognized her from her photo in our local paper! Didn’t disqualify her from working at the Camelot though!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • jetpilot
LOL! I went to Camelot East but only because they had the best pool tables lol
smh
I freakin' love this team and this coach:

The Journey...

(03-01-2024, 04:06 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 02:05 PM)jetpilot Wrote: OMG I FORGOT ABOUT SISTER CINDY!!!! I am crying here! That made my day lol...I started out at Kirwan II, moved up to Kirwan Tower, then year in frat house (highly unproductive to say the least) then went on to apartment life. It's unreal, I park in the same area as you so I can make that same walk.

"Sister" Cindy and "Brother" Jed were must see entertainment on the campus of EKU in the early '80s when I was there matriculating. I spent many, many hours being entertained by them. They were not married when I saw them on campus. Not sure what year they became husband and wife. As looney as they were, I think they really believed in what they were doing. I remember seeing them on the Sally Jesse Raphael Show. Sally got mad that they kept insulting her audience. She told them they would never be invited back. Jed and Cindy's message was similar in content and delivery to the crazies out in Topeka, Kansas.

I believe Jed and Cindy did more good for the world than almost anyone I can think of. They single-handedly turned more impressionable , young college kids into rational thinking atheists than anyone else in the country, before or since. They were more effective in that regard than any college professor I ever had.  Thank you, J & C. 

Preposterous to think they converted anyone to believe that there was nothing in the beginning and then it blew up and if you put a bunch of monkeys in a building full of typewriters with an infinite time frame, eventually they would be typing out Shakespeare play manuscripts. Also no professor anywhere was teaching atheism in the 1980s. I never encountered a second of of it or heard a word about it. It would have been a huge thing. More false red herrings. On to Arkansas, go Cats!
UK is NOT about the kids and only worrying about getting them to the NBA.. The coach and young men are getting big money and free education. UK fans want to compete for National Championships. We don't want to lose to Lynn Camp Tech in the first round then send five players to the draft. Gold Standard's hind end.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • jetpilot
(03-05-2024, 06:29 PM)pjdoug Wrote: UK is NOT about the kids and only worrying about getting them to the NBA.. The coach and young men are getting big money and free education.  UK fans want to compete for National Championships. We don't want to lose to Lynn Camp Tech in the first round then send five players to the draft. Gold Standard's hind end.
Exactly. >95% of the fans get that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • pjdoug
(03-02-2024, 11:20 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 04:06 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Preposterous to think they converted anyone to believe that there was nothing in the beginning and then it blew up and if you put a bunch of monkeys in a building full of typewriters with an infinite time frame, eventually they would be typing out Shakespeare play manuscripts. Also no professor anywhere was teaching atheism in the 1980s. I never encountered a second of of it or heard a word about it. It would have been a huge thing. More false red herrings. On to Arkansas, go Cats!

Seth nailed it!

^^^Not listening to a word from the "we came from nothing" crowd. But thanks, I just thanked God I'm nothing like you.
(03-05-2024, 06:43 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(03-05-2024, 06:29 PM)pjdoug Wrote: UK is NOT about the kids and only worrying about getting them to the NBA.. The coach and young men are getting big money and free education.  UK fans want to compete for National Championships. We don't want to lose to Lynn Camp Tech in the first round then send five players to the draft. Gold Standard's hind end.
Exactly. >95% of the fans get that.

There is not a coach in the country that is more about the kids than John The Legend Calipari. And his kids know that. That's why he gets some of the players in the country. They know he'll put them in a position to earn a great living at the next level or next chapter of their lives. Plus, he's always there for them, showing his support. Great man, great coach. I guarantee you, Jeff Sheppard and Stacy Reed agree with everything I said. In fact, I know they do.
MULTIPLE RED HERRING ALERT!!! Just win something damnit.
(03-05-2024, 11:22 PM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^Not listening to a word from the "we came from nothing" crowd. But thanks, I just thanked God I'm nothing like you.

Seth used to do that silliness, as well, before his de-conversion. You could  learn a lot from Seth.  One of the best speakers I've ever had the pleasure of hearing.

But if you don't take Seth's word for it( he's a former evangelical), try debunking anything this guy says.

Now, back to how John "Legend" has the Cats  on a roll...
I don't have to debunk anything. You are clearly disturbed. I will pray for you OSH. God bless.