Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky 91 Mississippi State 89
Final a lot closer than it should have been. However, I will take it!
Can you imagine if the kid were to stay here for four years what a KY basketball legend he'd be?
[-] The following 3 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • 16BBall Fan, Bluecat, rookie57
32 / 5 / 7 / 2 / 2

Pretty good...
Mississippi State had a nice game plan and executed well early. Think the Cats depth and ability to "out-athlete" them was the difference in the second half. Ball screen defense and rebounding need to improve.

Inability to get stops or making terrible decisions in the last two or so minutes was extremely frustrating. Lost count of how many times Ivisic was picking himself up off the floor or Onyenso was getting moved around; think that Bradshaw is probably all but phased out for anything other than spot duty at this point, but we'll see. Would have been really nice to see Edwards do more to build on his performance against Alabama.

Nice to see us pick up a road win when we were struggling offensively and didn't get the best game from Dillingham. Sheppard obviously played well. Reeves is who he is at this point, defensive deficiencies and all; he or maybe Dillingham are probably still the guys I'd want taking the last shot though.

Will be interesting to see Wagner's usage going forward-- he'd been trending toward fewer overall minutes, and I think that you still have to give him significant minutes because of what he brings defensively and for his ability to get to the rim, but MSU was definitely making it a point to live with him making shots to beat them.

Huge win, but at the end of the year, we're probably still looking at UNC-Wilmington game and then picking any one of the LSU, Florida, or Texas A&M games as what keeps them out of a much more favorable seed in both the SEC and NCAA Tournaments.
Mississippi State moved within 76-75 on two free throws by Moore with 1:48 left. Sheppard then scored five straight points and Dillingham added two free throws as the Wildcats took an 83-75 lead with 57.4 seconds remaining.

The Bulldogs kept fighting and received two 3-pointers from Hubbard and a three-point play by Cameron Matthews to move within 87-84 with 28.5 seconds left.

Mississippi State was again down three when Hubbard nailed a tying trey with 8.1 seconds left. Wildcats coach John Calipari didn't call timeout, and Sheppard hit the decisive basket.

Mississippi State's last chance ended when Sheppard intercepted the long pass downcourt.

Great win. $$$$$$. Cal is an idiot, it's almost like he tries to lose close games.
Kansas loses at home to BYU. I think they are something like 9-6 in their conference now. I guess Hall of Famer , Bill Self, has lost it. Probably an idiot. Definitely needs to be fired. There's probably a "Fire Bill " thread on the SFR(Sunflowerrivals) board. Fans are flipping crazy!

Great job by our HOF coach keeping the guys engaged and believing when they were down 13. They could have easily let go of the rope at that point. Gritty performance in going from 13 down to 7 ahead. Some people want you to believe Cal told Reed to make that pass for a silly turnover late in the game or told Oyenso to make that silly foul at the goal late in the game. Fans are nuts.

Is it just me or does it seem like DJ Jeffries has been playing college basketball since since about 2005 ? He's the modern day Dwayne Schintzius, in that regard.
(02-28-2024, 04:20 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Mississippi State moved within 76-75 on two free throws by Moore with 1:48 left. Sheppard then scored five straight points and Dillingham added two free throws as the Wildcats took an 83-75 lead with 57.4 seconds remaining.

The Bulldogs kept fighting and received two 3-pointers from Hubbard and a three-point play by Cameron Matthews to move within 87-84 with 28.5 seconds left.

Mississippi State was again down three when Hubbard nailed a tying trey with 8.1 seconds left. Wildcats coach John Calipari didn't call timeout, and Sheppard hit the decisive basket.

Mississippi State's last chance ended when Sheppard intercepted the long pass downcourt.

Great win. $$$$$$. Cal is an idiot, it's almost like he tries to lose close games.

In the 2008 Sweet 16 I thought Jeffersontown did Paintsville a huge favor by calling a timeout to set up their pressure before one of their last possessions when the Tigers were already rattled and the Chargers were running. I'll go to the grave convinced that there's a much better chance that Paintsville turns the ball over against pressure like they don't see in the 15th on the fly than they do out of a timeout.

Not a one-to-one, but I see Cal's logic for not calling the timeout in a tie game with 8 seconds left. On the possession prior when MSU needed a three, both commentators seemed to be in agreement on it being too early to foul.

I'll agree with lots of questions or speculation about Kentucky's late decision making, but if we're talking about the situational decisions on not fouling or not calling a timeout with 8 seconds, I can see the logic.

I'll also 100% agree that it should have never been that close regardless.
Justin Roland , publisher of CatsIllustrated , had a spot on tweet:

[/url]

[Image: https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/173...bigger.jpg]

Justin Rowland

@RowlandRIVALS

·
[url=https://twitter.com/RowlandRIVALS/status/1762666334159024631]12h
·

I think tonights a good time to say...Cal is the right coach for UK. He always has been. You can brainstorm replacements but nobody gives you the same year over year potential. Rollercoaster of late for sure but this team is exactly what most of you asked for.
I really think Sheppard’s overall performance last night was one of the greatest individual UK performances I’ve ever seen, when you take in the whole body of work. I mean, 32 on 11-of-14, (4 of 7 3’s, 7 of 7 2’s), plus 6 of 6 at the line, and never once did the ball even touch the rim. PLUS seven assists, five rebounds, two blocks and two steals. Oh, and a game winner to top off 23 in the second half when we overcame a 13-point hole. Yes, there were two turnovers, one at a crucial time, but over 35 minutes of high level college basketball you are gonna make a few. I just thought it was a master class in what a great college player can do.

Now we should be able to hold serve at home with Arkansas and Vandy (although Arkansas is dangerous), then head into Knoxville for the season finale that should have a whole lot on the line.
A state from OSH that will blow your mind.

From the 12 min, 42 sec mark of the second half, Kentucky scored  46  points against the 11th best defensive team in the nation on their home court.    46 points in less than 13 minutes against a top 15 defensive team.  Thank you, Coach Cal and Cats for a fun, exciting season thus far !!!

(02-28-2024, 12:35 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: I really think Sheppard’s overall performance last night was one of the greatest individual UK performances I’ve ever seen, when you take in the whole body of work. I mean, 32 on 11-of-14, (4 of 7 3’s, 7 of 7 2’s), plus 6 of 6 at the line, and never once did the ball even touch the rim. PLUS seven assists, five rebounds, two blocks and two steals. Oh, and a game winner to top off 23 in the second half when we overcame a 13-point hole. Yes, there were two turnovers, one at a crucial time, but over 35 minutes of high level college basketball you are gonna make a few. I just thought it was a master class in what a great college player can do. 

Now we should be able to hold serve at home with Arkansas and Vandy (although Arkansas is dangerous), then head into Knoxville for the season finale that should have a whole lot on the line.

I love you , VH , but  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Really? We beat them by six at their place. They’ve beaten A & M twice, something we couldn’t do. Oh, and they have beaten Duke. And we’ve had a three-game home losing streak, plus a home loss to UNC-freaking-Wilmington. So I wouldn’t take them too lightly, that’s a good recipe to take an embarrassing loss.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • Granny Bear
(02-28-2024, 04:03 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Really? We beat them by six at their place. They’ve beaten A & M twice, something we couldn’t do. Oh, and they have beaten Duke. And we’ve had a three-game home losing streak, plus a home loss to UNC-freaking-Wilmington. So I wouldn’t take them too lightly, that’s a good recipe to take an embarrassing loss.

Last night at Fayetteville,  Vandy(8-20)  beat the Hogs.   Color me not worried about Saturday. Let me state it another way, if the Cats lose to the Hogs, just end the season after the game because they don't have what it takes to get out of their own way.

VH, you are right about not being able to take most any team lightly. Honestly, this UK team, without its dissociative identity disorder, would be competing for a #1 or 2 seed instead of a 4 or 5. Having said that, Arkansas strikes about as much fear in me as this little lady:

(02-28-2024, 12:47 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Can you imagine if the kid were to stay here for four years what a KY basketball legend he'd be?
My only thought on this is that yes he is a legend, and can make a lot of money staying in school with NIL, but where he is already a Kentuckian and beloved by many, he could go to the NBA and fail and still make a great amount of money with Kentucky and marketing later on after his career if it were to go south.
Incredible!! It really is.

How can a coach receive accolades and recognition for a team when they are winning, BUT shares absolutely NO responsibility or accountability for that same team for a loss??

Now, go right ahead and do your double talk thingy and posturing with a hint of rage in your words. But it changes nothing.
[-] The following 2 users Like Granny Bear's post:
  • jetpilot, rookie57
(02-28-2024, 04:43 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: Incredible!!  It really is.

How can a coach receive accolades and recognition for a team when they are winning, BUT shares absolutely NO responsibility or accountability for that same team for a loss??

Now, go right ahead and do your double talk thingy and posturing with a hint of rage in your words.  But it changes nothing.

I don't know. Why don't you ask Justin Roland? All I'm saying is what Roland tweeted. That Cal is the right coach for UK and always has been.  Hash it out with the publisher of CatsIllustrated.

I don't get enraged over UK basketball games.

That taking a knee thingy must have really riled up a bunch of tobacco farmers coal miners, whisky drinkers, wannabe coaches, and blue-haired seniors because one would have to be personally offended in order to complain about a guy who has won over 800 games, a title, and a boatload of Elite Eights and Final Fours. Something like 12th all-time winningest coach.

I love our coach and our exciting young players and this TEAM!!! Call me stupid for that, if you want.

I really think three-quarters of the people this state(maybe more) strongly support our HOF coach. The ones who don't are hung up the hurt feelings they suffered over silly political crap.
(02-28-2024, 04:52 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Now, go right ahead and do your double talk thingy and posturing with a hint of rage in your words.  But it changes nothing.

I don't know. Why don't you ask Justin Roland? All I'm saying is what Roland tweeted. That Cal is the right coach for UK and always has been.  Hash it out with the publisher of CatsIllustrated.

That taking a knee thingy must have really riled up a bunch of tobacco farmers  coal miners,  whisky drinkers, wannabe coaches, and blue-haired seniors  because one would have to be personally offended in order to complain about a guy who has won over 800 games, a title, and a boatload of Elite Eights and Final Fours. Something like 12th all-time winningest coach.

I love our coach and our exciting young players and this TEAM!!!  Call me stupid for that, if you want.

I really think three-quarters of the people this state(maybe more) strongly support our HOF coach. The ones who don't are hung up the hurt feelings they suffered over silly political crap.
You are full of sh!t as a Christmas turkey. Cal's record is right out there in plain sight for all to see. In the words of the great @pjdoug, "mediocre at best". You are the only one whose mind has been hijacked by deranged political crap. We just want our program to be back on top. All we get from you are excuses and red herrings. And if you think 75% of the people think Cal is doing a good job, you are even crazier than you look.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • rookie57

With a straight face he says great job by Cal to bring us back from 13 down then claims Cal had nothing to do with losing an 8 point lead inside the last minute. Most of his posts are nonsensical. He is unable to reason, he is guided 100% by his emotions. And we all know what drives his emotions.

That taking a knee thingy must have really riled up a bunch of tobacco farmers  coal miners,  whisky drinkers, wannabe coaches, and blue-haired seniors  because one would have to be personally offended in order to complain about a guy who has won over 800 games, a title, and a boatload of Elite Eights and Final Fours. Something like 12th all-time winningest coach.

I love our coach and our exciting young players and this TEAM!!!  Call me stupid for that, if you want.

Never heard of him, and even if I had why would if give AF about his opinion. People who accept (and in your case defend) mediocrity F up everything they have a say in. As far as "enraged" that's just another falsehood and red herring. Not wanting to be second rate and enraged are two entirely different things.
(02-28-2024, 10:41 AM)Cactus Jack Wrote:
(02-28-2024, 04:20 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Mississippi State moved within 76-75 on two free throws by Moore with 1:48 left. Sheppard then scored five straight points and Dillingham added two free throws as the Wildcats took an 83-75 lead with 57.4 seconds remaining.

In the 2008 Sweet 16 I thought Jeffersontown did Paintsville a huge favor by calling a timeout to set up their pressure before one of their last possessions when the Tigers were already rattled and the Chargers were running. I'll go to the grave convinced that there's a much better chance that Paintsville turns the ball over against pressure like they don't see in the 15th on the fly than they do out of a timeout.

Not a one-to-one, but I see Cal's logic for not calling the timeout in a tie game with 8 seconds left. On the possession prior when MSU needed a three, both commentators seemed to be in agreement on it being too early to foul.

I'll agree with lots of questions or speculation about Kentucky's late decision making, but if we're talking about the situational decisions on not fouling or not calling a timeout with 8 seconds, I can see the logic.

I'll also 100% agree that it should have never been that close regardless.
I'm fine with a 19 year-old freshman deciding how best to try to win the game on the last possession rather than Cal.
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • Cactus Jack, rookie57
Fire Cal.
(02-28-2024, 06:06 PM)jetpilot Wrote: I'm fine with a 19 year-old freshman deciding how best to try to win the game on the last possession rather than Cal.

I mean, let's be real... what does Calipari draw up out of a timeout in that situation that isn't pretty cookie-cutter?

Best athlete/shot-creator gets the ball and gets a screen at half-court to try to get downhill? Maybe some zipper action if you want to get really spicy?

I don't know that we're getting Valparaiso's "Pacer" from '98 out of the timeout.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cactus Jack's post:
  • jetpilot
(02-28-2024, 05:48 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

You are full of sh!t as a Christmas turkey. Cal's record is right out there in plain sight for all to see. In the words of the great @pjdoug, "mediocre at best". You are the only one whose mind has been hijacked by deranged political crap. We just want our program to be back on top. All we get from you are excuses and red herrings. And if you think 75% of the people think Cal is doing a good job, you are even crazier than you look.
I support our team and Hall of Fame coach. You support sedition. And my mind's been hijacked?
(02-29-2024, 12:38 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:

I support our team and Hall of Fame coach. You support sedition. And my mind's been hijacked?
Yes and you just proved it again for the 1000th time.
HoF doesn't mean jack but it's all you got to deflect the mediocrity. And I support the team and coach 100% every game. Another of a neverending stream of red herrings from you. I have two degrees from UK. A guy who never went there cannot begin to fathom what that university (sports programs included) means to me. You defend mediocrity, I want much better.
(02-29-2024, 12:25 AM)Cactus Jack Wrote:
(02-28-2024, 06:06 PM)jetpilot Wrote: I'm fine with a 19 year-old freshman deciding how best to try to win the game on the last possession rather than Cal.

I mean, let's be real... what does Calipari draw up out of a timeout in that situation that isn't pretty cookie-cutter?
If Cal had called a TO to draw up a play, Ky probably doesn’t even get the ball inbounds 
Best athlete/shot-creator gets the ball and gets a screen at half-court to try to get downhill? Maybe some zipper action if you want to get really spicy?

I don't know that we're getting Valparaiso's "Pacer" from '98 out of the timeout.

(02-29-2024, 02:03 AM)rookie57 Wrote:
(02-29-2024, 12:25 AM)Cactus Jack Wrote:

If Cal had called a TO to draw up a play, Ky probably doesn’t even get the ball inbounds 

If Cal CALLS A TO draw up a play, Ky probably doesn’t even get the ball inbounds

I don't WANT to ask Justin or anybody else for that matter.  I decide for myself; nobody thinks for me or gives me MY opinion.

And here you are AGAIN, bringing up the "knee thingy" and associating it with people in a negative light.  Just because people disagree with you doesn't make them bad people or even wrong.

I want a team that represents UK well, and a coach that has some kind of respect for the school and institution; NOT a combine for pre-professional preparation of skills for the NBA player.  I prefer to have a team with some kind of loyalty and pride for the school and represents us well.  I'm not saying all new players are categorized using UK as a stepping stone to the NBA but Cal DOES encourage that.  Maybe most UK fans want that kind of coach.  I don't.
(02-29-2024, 10:04 AM)Granny Bear Wrote:

I don't WANT to ask Justin or anybody else for that matter.  I decide for myself; nobody thinks for me or gives me MY opinion.

And here you are AGAIN, bringing up the "knee thingy" and associating it with people in a negative light.  Just because people disagree with you doesn't make them bad people or even wrong.

I want a team that represents UK well, and a coach that has some kind of respect for the school and institution; NOT a combine for pre-professional preparation of skills for the NBA player.  I prefer to have a team with some kind of loyalty and pride for the school and represents us well.  I'm not saying all new players are categorized using UK as a stepping stone to the NBA but Cal DOES encourage that.  Maybe most UK fans want that kind of coach.  I don't.

Cal has represented the university about as well as a coach could. As Roland said, he has always been the right coach for KY. What you are criticizing Cal for is simply the college basketball landscape today. Today, it's all about "a combine for pre-professional preparation skills for the NBA player."  You are wanting to go back to the days of Givens, Lee, Turpin, Dirk Minnefield, Larry Johnson .The college basketball landscape has changed. It is "one and done, " transfer portal, "  NIL.  I'm not crazy about it, either. But it is what it is. It's not just Cal. It's EVERYBODY! That's college sports now. We are never going back to Dirk Minnefield.

You are an old blue-haired granny. I'm an old thinning-haired pappy. These kids nowadays care more about getting that first pro contract than they care about the blue and white uniform they currently wear. And, do I really blame them? HELL NO!!! To quote Steve Miller, "Take the money and run, baby." I added the "baby" part. lol
I'm beginning to wonder if you remember how to form your own opinion.
(02-29-2024, 11:39 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: I'm beginning to wonder if you remember how to form your own opinion.

Beginning to wonder? His opinions are assigned to him. I know what his opinions on anything will be before he even knows.
(02-29-2024, 10:04 AM)Granny Bear Wrote:

Great post. I'll add to that I want a program that is top-tier elite again.

I knew Cal wasn't the coach for UK even before he made the program mediocre, when he famously and cluelessly said it was the greatest day in program history when all those UK players got drafted by the NBA. He didn't get it then and doesn't get it now. Add to that a very mediocre bench coach + arrogant to boot even when losing. Has taken 100x more out of this state than he has given.