Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raceland Rams 2008
Carver is a junior, he will be back. Sparks is big target that will be missed but that seems to be the only one that they are loosing that stands out o me.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Carver is a junior, he will be back. Sparks is big target that will be missed but that seems to be the only one that they are loosing that stands out o me.
You are right. Piercy is a senior, Carver will be back.
Does anyone have any idea of what there schedule will look like?
blackcat_student Wrote:Does anyone have any idea of what there schedule will look like?
I know they play Russell, Ashland and Greenup County out of district. They have district games against Fairview, LCA, Paris, and Nicholas County. I'm not sure who else althought they did play East Carter and West Carter last season and I assume the will again.
Raceland has a ton returning this season and it could be a very special year. Here is an overview on the Rams that I believe is pretty accurate......................

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raceland Football 2008

1. Plays a strong schedule.
One of the keys for Raceland to continue to improve and to become a perennial 1A threat is to continue to play larger schools, and quality non-district games to better prepare them for the quality 1A teams they will have to face in the playoffs. Last year, in non-district games, Raceland played one 1A team (Paintsville), three 3A teams (Russell, East Carter, and West Carter), one 4A team (Greenup Co.), and one 5A team (Ashland). Raceland will be playing these teams again this season, and many of them have improved and will give Raceland some regular season tests and help in preparing them for the playoffs. Ashland will be in good shape this season with quite a bit of experience returning, Greenup Co showed great improvement at the end of last season and provides a playoff type atmosphere, East and West Carter both had some great performances last year, Paintsville is a question mark for this season with a new coach they should have some new energy, Russell is good year in and year out and provides a playoff atmosphere. By playing a strong schedule Raceland will be more prepared for district and playoff games.

2. Stingy defense.
In 2007, Raceland’s defense was good, but not as strong as the 2006 season. For Raceland to win the big games, they are going to have to get back to the stingy defense of 2006. In 2007 Raceland allowed an average of 21 points per game, they are going to have to get that down to 14 or below to control big games. Raceland returns 8 defensive starters, including last years leading tackler Brett Denton, who averaged around 10 tackles per game. Lost are one linebacker position, one defensive line position, and one defensive back position. John Scott Carver will be back at one of the linebacker positions. Carver is very athletic and quick to the ball. Robbie Logan will be back at his defensive line position, he matured and was a strong defensive player by the playoffs last season.

3. Poised offense.
The offense is one area that should be of little concern. In 2007 Raceland had an explosive offense that could score quickly, and was very balanced. Raceland returns 9 starters on offense, including both running backs – Denton who rushed for over one thousand yards and Carver who rushed for six hundred yards, starting quarterback Tyler Boyles will be back as well – who passed for one thousand yards. Lost from last year is one offensive lineman and one receiver. Brian Tolliver and Todd Selvage both gained experience last season and both will be strong at the receiver positions. The offensive line, minus one, is back and did a great job last year and will only get better. Raceland’s offense should be a bright spot from start to finish.

4. Special teams.
Special teams is the place that Raceland will have to rebuild the most. Gone from the last three seasons is place kicker and punter, Jacob Sparks. Sparks will be difficult to replace and had become a potent weapon for Raceland. Tate Preston will likely handle the kicking duties, and a search for a punter will have to begin.

5. Staying healthy
In 2006, Raceland experience a large number of injuries and at one point had 6, two way, starters out at the same time. Raceland will have to stay healthy to maintain momentum to compete in the playoffs.

6. Players to watch.
Tyler Boyles (Sr) QB – Will be a senior, three year starter, one at receiver and now two at
QB. Boyles passed for 1,000 yards last season, distributing the ball to four
Different receivers.

Brett Denton (Sr) RB/LB –Honorable Mention All-State, Army Iron man of the Week,
And Co-District MVP. Rushed for 1100 yards last season, and was the teams
Leading tackler.

John Scott Carver (Sr) RB/LB – Second leading rusher from last season, with over 600
Yards. also, a strong defensive player who can get to the ball.

Todd Selvage (Sr) WR/DB – Became a good receiver last season and a good defensive
Player after becoming much more athletic in the 2007 off –season.

Brian Tolliver (Sr) WR/KR/DB – Very athletic, plays some at running back, but will
Probably start at receiver. Sure handed receiver. Tolliver will more then likely
Also start at the open defensive back position.

Robbie Logan (Sr) OL/DL – Good size at 6’4”, 250. Good offensive lineman, but has
Become a very good defensive lineman. Big, strong, and fast from his line
Position.

Cody Chinn (Sr) OL/DL – A 6’, 250 lineman who will be a returning starter. Strong on
The offensive line and the defensive line.

Bobby McKee (Jr) WR/DB/KR – Handled the return duties last season and became very
Proficient at it. Could, more then likely, take the third receiver spot and give
Three
blackcat_student Wrote:Does anyone have any idea of what there schedule will look like?
Here ya go......

Aug. 8 - Meet the Rams Night
Aug.15 - @ Johnson Central (scrimmage)
Aug. 22 - (EKC Grid o rama at Raceland) Raceland vs. Morgan Co.

2008 Regular Season (district games in bold)

Aug 29 - @ Ashland
Sept. 5 - (Open)
Sept 12 - @ East carter
Sept 19 - @ Fairview
Sept 26 - L.C.A.
Oct. 3 - @ Greenup County
Oct 10 - Paris
Oct. 17 - Paintsville
Oct. 24 - @ Nicholas County
Oct. 31 - @russell
Nov. 7 - West Carter

Nov 14 - the Class A district playoffs begin.
Statmaster Wrote:Rams will be ok for single A. If Russell doesnt want to play us, then don't. I agree,I don't think Russell gains anything from it. But, if Raceland wins, their fans will crow forever about it. Raceland may not beat Russell regularly, but they will some. Can the mighty Devils live with it? This rivalry used to be a battle back in the day.

You make some good points. Russell probably doesn't gain much from it and frankly I don't think that Raceland does either. The Russell game does give Raceland a quality opponet to play to better prepare for the playoffs, that is about all that Raceland uses Russell for. A lot of talk for years went on about renewnig this rivalry, Russell would hear none of it for years. I know that as an absolute fact, I was there.
Coach Bill Tom Ross did everything but get on his hands and knees and beg Russell to play. That really is what started the Raceland/Ashland series up again when Russell wouldn't play. Russell did have a large district and limited space on their schedule but the game probably could have been worked out. I think that the biggest plus to this game is the Gate, it is a big money game. As for really caring if the two play past this season, I don't.
Raceland certainly does not need Russell to make any kind of a statement and Russell I am sure feels the same way and they should. Both schools have great footbal programs and winning traditions. I don't think that it proves anything by one beating or losing to the other.
Also, quite frankly some of the derogatory and classless comments by some Russell fans on this thread I believe says a lot more about some of the Russell fan base (certainly not all) than it does about Raceland.
I frankly don't give Russell an 2nd thought. Russell has a tremendous program and a legendary coach in I. McGlone and good luck to the Red Devils execpt for the Raceland game.
Should some feel the need to trash Raceland and feel good about it then have at it. I am one that couldn't care less about that kind of junk. I am new to this site and didn't want to start anything, just that I noticed a few post that I really saw no need in some of the comments.

I apologize if my comments wwere out of line, just stating my views on it as well.
3yards+c.o.d. Wrote:You make some good points. Russell probably doesn't gain much from it and frankly I don't think that Raceland does either. The Russell game does give Raceland a quality opponet to play to better prepare for the playoffs, that is about all that Raceland uses Russell for. A lot of talk for years went on about renewnig this rivalry, Russell would hear none of it for years. I know that as an absolute fact, I was there.
Coach Bill Tom Ross did everything but get on his hands and knees and beg Russell to play. That really is what started the Raceland/Ashland series up again when Russell wouldn't play. Russell did have a large district and limited space on their schedule but the game probably could have been worked out. I think that the biggest plus to this game is the Gate, it is a big money game. As for really caring if the two play past this season, I don't.
Raceland certainly does not need Russell to make any kind of a statement and Russell I am sure feels the same way and they should. Both schools have great footbal programs and winning traditions. I don't think that it proves anything by one beating or losing to the other.
Also, quite frankly some of the derogatory and classless comments by some Russell fans on this thread I believe says a lot more about some of the Russell fan base (certainly not all) than it does about Raceland.
I frankly don't give Russell an 2nd thought. Russell has a tremendous program and a legendary coach in I. McGlone and good luck to the Red Devils execpt for the Raceland game.
Should some feel the need to trash Raceland and feel good about it then have at it. I am one that couldn't care less about that kind of junk. I am new to this site and didn't want to start anything, just that I noticed a few post that I really saw no need in some of the comments.

I apologize if my comments wwere out of line, just stating my views on it as well.

Its not out of line at all. Feel free to speak your mind as you please on this site. As long as it is withing the rules it is fine here.

For somebody that doesn't care though your words seem awfully antagonistic.

Singling people out and for that matter an entire fanbase as "classless" though, sure does seem to go against the tone of your final sentence. Oh well, same old same old.

I wish they still didn't play. Its not a healthy rivalry. Too many hard feelings and in my opinion nothing good comes of it. Its not dodging anyone and its not classless. That is just the truth.
FBALL Wrote:Its not out of line at all. Feel free to speak your mind as you please on this site. As long as it is withing the rules it is fine here.

For somebody that doesn't care though your words seem awfully antagonistic.
Singling people out and for that matter an entire fanbase as "classless" though, sure does seem to go against the tone of your final sentence. Oh well, same old same old.

I wish they still didn't play. Its not a healthy rivalry. Too many hard feelings and in my opinion nothing good comes of it. Its not dodging anyone and its not classless. That is just the truth.
I will comment on the bolded parts.........

1. I will speak my mind and stay within the rules:, thank you.
2. I certinly didn't mean to give that impression but I can assure you that I honestly do not care.
3. I did not single anyone out personally and I certainly didn't group an entire fan base in my statement. As a matter of fact, I stated Some fans...and "Certainly not all".
With all due respect you are way wrong on that one.
4. :confused: same old, same old??? I haven't posted enough on here to form any kind of pattern I don't think.
5. I agree with you on that, I don't really like the two playing either and it is because of what you said :Thumbs: , has nothing to do with who wins or loses.