Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2023 Pikeville
Jmo, this team will take a few lumps early on, but considering the stout schedule for the upcoming season we can pretty much expect it. Look for the backfield to excel with Brenden Anthony, Blake Caudill, and Tayvian Boykins, along with a seasoned young QB in Isaac Duty. Westin Bevins, with his quickness and speed should contribute greatly at just about any skilled position he's put in. The line on both sides will develop with the quality coaching it receives, but it will take some time. The good thing is, the JV line will be familiar with the same system and should step up and develop rather quickly by late November.  Jackson Wilkerson, Jay McNamee, and Soph. Caden Thacker should be the most experienced linemen on both sides of the ball. Sam wright, Jeb Wilkerson, and Deonte Stevens, are proven and valuable players that will be relied upon in the D backfield. This team has some linebackers to replace, but there's some experience there as well. Just have to see how it all pans out by August.
Pikeville is going to be great in the skill department but where they’re going to struggle is that they don’t have the size on the O line, losing the sayer twins and rico is going to hurt, still they are going to wipe 1A football and beat raceland by 20.
^^^I will be surprised if Pikeville doesn't have some good linemen stepping up. They have a great line coach and I believe no one will be happy to see them in the playoffs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Big Five-0-
(03-02-2023, 10:12 PM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^I will be surprised if Pikeville doesn't have some good linemen stepping up. They have a great line coach and I believe no one will be happy to see them in the playoffs.
Agree. Some good Sophomore and Junior linemen coming up, and who knows what might take place until July when practice starts.
It doesn’t matter what anyone does, Pikeville is the big “dawg” in class a football in the state of KY now. Better accept it.
Pikeville is the new Mayfield, Beechwood, of 1A. They are also reaping the benefits of the next best program being Raceland and Hazard. No one else in 1A has a snowballs chance in beating them and it will take Raceland and Hazard playing perfect and Pikeville making uncharacteristic mistakes to do so as well. They are simply on a different level. But programs like that make the blueprint.
(03-03-2023, 12:49 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: Pikeville is the new Mayfield, Beechwood, of 1A. They are also reaping the benefits of the next best program being Raceland and Hazard. No one else in 1A has a snowballs chance in beating them and it will take Raceland and Hazard playing perfect and Pikeville making uncharacteristic mistakes to do so as well. They are simply on a different level. But programs like that make the blueprint.
If you go back and look at Pikeville’s teams since 1998 on the KHSAA scoreboard you will see that they have consistently been one of the top programs in 1A for a long time.  They just got lost in the shuffle when 1A had really strong teams like Beechwood, Mayfield, LCA, and NCC & Danville when they were on their runs.  In late 90’s and early 2000’s they were a regular in the regional & semifinals round and but 1A was
too heavy at that time and they just couldn’t get over the hump.

Now that all of the said teams listed above am have either moved to 2A or aren’t as good as they once were it really shouldn’t be a surprise that they are the top dog in 1A.  Unfortunately for the rest of 1A, Pikeville has built their program to be a dominant force for a long time and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Coach Mac have 10 titles under his belt by the time he retires.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orange Blaze's post:
  • Big Five-0-
Imo, if Pikeville is smart, they let Mac stay around as long as he wants. If he manages another 10 years he very well may have more than that Blaze. Pikevilles 6-8 grades have some special players. Not to mention what Pikeville is able to do in terms of development
I watched Pikeville JV team last year and they where a pretty good team but nothing like what Pikeville has had the last few years. I’m curious to see how good Pikeville will be next season and if they will get transfers to fill some the studs they lost to graduation. Pikeville senior class last year was historically good and will be really hard to replace.
(03-03-2023, 04:52 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
(03-03-2023, 12:49 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: Pikeville is the new Mayfield, Beechwood, of 1A. They are also reaping the benefits of the next best program being Raceland and Hazard. No one else in 1A has a snowballs chance in beating them and it will take Raceland and Hazard playing perfect and Pikeville making uncharacteristic mistakes to do so as well. They are simply on a different level. But programs like that make the blueprint.
If you go back and look at Pikeville’s teams since 1998 on the KHSAA scoreboard you will see that they have consistently been one of the top programs in 1A for a long time.  They just got lost in the shuffle when 1A had really strong teams like Beechwood, Mayfield, LCA, and NCC & Danville when they were on their runs.  In late 90’s and early 2000’s they were a regular in the regional & semifinals round and but 1A was
too heavy at that time and they just couldn’t get over the hump.

Now that all of the said teams listed above am have either moved to 2A or aren’t as good as they once were it really shouldn’t be a surprise that they are the top dog in 1A.  Unfortunately for the rest of 1A, Pikeville has built their program to be a dominant force for a long time and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Coach Mac have 10 titles under his belt by the time he retires.
Good post OB and i think your 100% correct on this.
I’d pump the brakes a little on all this hype. Listen I try my best to tell it like it is, but Pikeville lost a lot of experience this year. Many kids that had been 3 year starters and even a few 4 year starters. I still think Pikeville will be solid, especially by November, but to act like no one else in 1A should even show up is absurd. Are the Panthers still just sitting at 8 games? Any rumors to what could be 9th or 10th game?
(03-08-2023, 07:23 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote: I’d pump the brakes a little on all this hype. Listen I try my best to tell it like it is, but Pikeville lost a lot of experience this year. Many kids that had been 3 year starters and even a few 4 year starters. I still think Pikeville will be solid, especially by November, but to act like no one else in 1A should even show up is absurd. Are the Panthers still just sitting at 8 games?  Any rumors to what could be 9th or 10th game?
Totally agree. It would be absurd to think that would happen. My agreement with the post was the possibility of Coach Mac having 10 championships under his belt by retirement, and I should've designated that point with bold. One thing is certain, the man is a winner!
[-] The following 3 users Like Big Five-0-'s post:
  • Bull got out!, jetpilot, Micro-Brew
(03-08-2023, 07:23 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote: Are the Panthers still just sitting at 8 games?  Any rumors to what could be 9th or 10th game?

Gas up the car for a trip to Louisville Week 6.
[-] The following 2 users Like Panther Thunder's post:
  • Big Five-0-, jetpilot
(03-09-2023, 09:22 AM)Panther Thunder Wrote:
(03-08-2023, 07:23 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote: Are the Panthers still just sitting at 8 games?  Any rumors to what could be 9th or 10th game?

Don't leave us hanging! Hope it's CAL, KCD or Holy Cross but any game in Louisville will be cool.
(03-09-2023, 11:22 AM)jetpilot Wrote:

Don't leave us hanging! Hope it's CAL, KCD or Holy Cross but any game in Louisville will be cool.

Preliminary indications are a two-year contract with Fairdale.
[-] The following 3 users Like Panther Thunder's post:
  • Big Five-0-, jetpilot, Micro-Brew
(03-09-2023, 11:48 AM)Panther Thunder Wrote:
(03-09-2023, 11:22 AM)jetpilot Wrote:

Preliminary indications are a two-year contract with Fairdale.

That would be awesome. Thanks for the info.
Great news! Thanks PT
This season's schedule is looking more and more interesting. A little more than five months til kickoff. Thanks Panther Thunder.
(02-27-2023, 09:46 PM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^Caudill is a beast and Anthony too. Boykins can take it to the house at any time and Duty can hurt teams with his legs. Pikeville backfield will be lethal.

I am 35, 300lbs, have two bad knees and a bad back. I believe you could put 5 of me upfront and Pikeville will still rush for 3000 yards as a team in 2023.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scotty_Bronson's post:
  • Bull got out!
Pikeville's skill positions are looking very good the next few years.

Obviously with the loss of a few of their top playmakers, they won't be as explosive. The pipeline is as strong as I've probably ever seen it, actually it is and isn't close truth be told. Excited too see Boykins next season after a full year and off-season in Pikeville's program. He is gonna have a huge season if he stays healthy.

I do worry about the line play, but some of the young guys who will be mainstays the next few seasons will have to step up and learn under fire. Come playoff time they will be just fine.

There's also a lot of talent to be replaced at Linebacker, though they have some good young talent there also.

I'm sure with the tradition, results and facilities there are gonna be a few that transfer in. I haven't heard any names but could be interesting depending on positions...a few OL would be nice lol.

Bold Prediction: If Deonte Stevens has a great off-season and reaches the potential I think he has then he will play D1 College Football. The speed and athleticism are there, he just needs to hit the weights hard and I'm sure he is.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Humpty Dumpty's post:
  • Big Five-0-
(03-30-2023, 04:27 PM)Humpty Dumpty Wrote: Pikeville's skill positions are looking very good the next few years.

Obviously with the loss of a few of their top playmakers, they won't be as explosive.  The pipeline is as strong as I've probably ever seen it, actually it is and isn't close truth be told.  Excited too see Boykins next season after a full year and off-season in Pikeville's program.  He is gonna have a huge season if he stays healthy. 

I do worry about the line play, but some of the young guys who will be mainstays the next few seasons will have to step up and learn under fire.  Come playoff time they will be just fine. 

There's also a lot of talent to be replaced at Linebacker, though they have some good young talent there also.

I'm sure with the tradition, results and facilities there are gonna be a few that transfer in.  I haven't heard any names but could be interesting depending on positions...a few OL would be nice lol. 

Bold Prediction: If Deonte Stevens has a great off-season and reaches the potential I think he has then he will play D1 College Football.  The speed and athleticism are there, he just needs to hit the weights hard and I'm sure he is.
He played huge in the championship game, especially on that scoop and score. He's gonna be fun to watch this season.
Pikeville will win class A UNDER WRIGHTS LEADERSHIP. WRIGHT IS A STUD. I THINK THE CUMMINGS KID OFFENSIVE LINEMAN FROM LETCHER CENTRAL IS TRANSFERRING TO PIKEVILLE. THIS KID IS A MOUNTAIN

Don't forget about the Anthony KID. Will be the leading rusher
(03-31-2023, 06:52 AM)Warriorhawk17 Wrote: Pikeville will win class A UNDER WRIGHTS LEADERSHIP. WRIGHT IS A STUD. I THINK THE CUMMINGS KID OFFENSIVE LINEMAN FROM LETCHER CENTRAL IS TRANSFERRING TO PIKEVILLE. THIS KID IS A MOUNTAIN

Don't forget about the Anthony KID. Will be the leading rusher
I watched the Cummings kid play a JV game from last season. HE's definitely got the size and moves pretty good for a Soph. (IF) he transfers and acclimates into Pikeville's system and commits himself, then he definitely looks to be an asset. Jmo.
How’s workouts going for the kids not playing other sports?
Panthers might need 5-6 games to figure things out, but this team has A LOT of talent at the skill positions. Also there is a lot of young talent on the field. Once those guys get some experience and our guys up front get a few games under their belt they will be fine . Raceland should be the pre season #1 with who they have coming back, but by the playoffs the Panthers will be tough to beat.
[-] The following 2 users Like Hambley's post:
  • Big Five-0-, jetpilot
Yes, going to be very fun watching these young guys grow up. They will be super tough come Nov/Dec
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Big Five-0-
Once the line get's settled in, these skilled players know what it's all about. Some good leadership in that department too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Five-0-'s post:
  • jetpilot

Nevermind.
(05-06-2023, 10:39 AM)Big Five-0- Wrote: Once the line get's settled in, these skilled players know what it's all about. Some good leadership in that department too.

Did Louisville trip fall through??
(05-08-2023, 06:25 PM)Vols0528 Wrote:
(05-06-2023, 10:39 AM)Big Five-0- Wrote: Once the line get's settled in, these skilled players know what it's all about. Some good leadership in that department too.

Did Louisville trip fall through??

Yep, no trip to Louisville at this time.  Panthers still looking for 2 more games.