•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Belfry 2023
(06-20-2023, 04:14 PM)Khalisimo Wrote:
(06-20-2023, 02:29 PM)EKUAlum05 Wrote: Some very important names to the immediate future of Belfry athletics are underlined on those rosters above.

Since my kids were born and since my nephew went to High School I haven't stayed plugged in with Belfry football even a quarter of what I used to. For the additional Belfry sports, I haven't really plugged in at all.

I will say I was very shocked to see the same HC for both basketball and baseball. That is not common. Sometimes when you have a legendary coach in one specific sport, it may not be a stretch to see him/her do double duty at a small school (Bill Mike Runyon at Paintsville as an example), but with the shall we say "limited" success Belfry has enjoyed in those two sports over the past decade plus, seeing the same HC was very surprising to me to say the least.

I won't pretend to know what is going on, but I will say this...
As legendary as Coach Haywood is... it took lots of forward thinking, big changes, and a plan to evolve the Belfry program to where it went from a very good program to a Championship powerhouse during the 2000's until now.

Belfry upgraded their facilities, overhauled their youth football programs, put a bigger focus on speed training, joined the KYMSFA and started competing against statewide competition instead of regional competition, they significantly upgraded their Varsity schedule and challenged themselves, and more importantly set their target goals at a much loftier trajectory. Despite all that, it may even require more evolution for the football program to stay at that level as other programs have caught or even passed them (Pikeville).

I don't fault the football program, instead I sing their praises as they continue to work hard and seek improvement, but I am not sure if the same initiative has been shared for any other athletics program the past couple decades. Seems to be a whole lot of stagnation. Heck, Belfry even had a couple strong programs.. their Girl's BB and Volleyball programs both were winning the region routinely at the start of the 2000's... even those programs seem to be a shell of what they once were.
Bill Mike is a much better option than the one that is currently running the clown show at bhs
you have a ferrari football program and a 2005 ford focus athletic department, and the focus is screwing the ferrari now. i think jenkins even has different coaches for the 3 big boys sports.............
Anyone think I’m crazy to think what happened to Prestonsburg football and their downfall is happening right now with Belfry? Very similar situations. Kids left there to Paintsville due to similar scenarios. Not saying it’s happening but this is how it happened with Prestonsburg and they haven’t been the same since. Now they struggle beating Betsy Layne and Magoffin and got crushed by Pike Central last time they played.
Maybe some Belfry people can chime in.

Is it true you have no summer baseball, no real baseball field practices and no arm care programs?

Is it true that you don’t practice basketball in summer and only play games? Do you guys still do everything that Mark Thompson did offensively and defensively? No JV or true freshmen teams?

The conversation I just had with a parent, I knew it was not ideal, but it’s borderline criminal.
(06-20-2023, 07:24 PM)RTruth Wrote: Maybe some Belfry people can chime in.

Is it true you have no summer baseball, no real baseball field practices and no arm care programs?

Is it true that you don’t practice basketball in summer and only play games? Do you guys still do everything that Mark Thompson did offensively and defensively?  No JV or true freshmen teams?

The conversation I just had with a parent, I knew it was not ideal, but it’s borderline criminal.
Pretty much spot on. Boys bb only had 7 out and girls bb only had 4 girls and 3 practices.
Well one starter off last years team is confirmed leaving. Check D&D if you want to know who it is.
My work cover the counties in the 15th and almost all the 14th and Mingo, Boone, and Logan in WV.

I’m lucky enough to be in Belfry and Madison the rest of the week. Going to have some lunch with some parents lol
It appears Belfry Football is going in the wrong direction as of late
I. Stanley transferred to Pikeville (confirmed)
A. Long not playing (confirmed)
A. Burke to Mingo (Confirmed)
H. Hylton to Mingo 50/50
Others rumored to be on the move soon
Pre-dead period turnout numbers are way down
(06-21-2023, 01:10 PM)COACHITALL Wrote: It appears Belfry Football is going in the wrong direction as of late
H. Hylton to Mingo 50/50
What about 2 allegedly going to Logan. Heard 2 more starters. Multiple kids from several sports leaving girls and boys. How and will or can they fix this problem.
Stanley would be a great addition to Pikeville baseball. What about football?
(06-21-2023, 01:28 PM)Truewords Wrote:
(06-21-2023, 01:10 PM)COACHITALL Wrote: It appears Belfry Football is going in the wrong direction as of late
H. Hylton to Mingo 50/50
What about 2 allegedly going to Logan. Heard 2 more starters. Multiple kids from several sports leaving girls and boys. How and will or can they fix this problem.
First don’t let coaches wives(girls bb)post on social media if your kids aren’t happy then leave don’t make everyone else miserable.
(06-21-2023, 01:48 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Stanley would be a great addition to Pikeville baseball. What about football?
Baseball at Pikeville returns everyone. Football could use a good LB and he is a pretty good one. Believe he would help football more than baseball. Pikeville will be fine in both sports with or without any additions
(06-21-2023, 01:57 PM)Truewords Wrote:
(06-21-2023, 01:48 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Stanley would be a great addition to Pikeville baseball. What about football?
Baseball at Pikeville returns everyone. Football could use a good LB and he is a pretty good one. Believe he would help football more than baseball. Pikeville will be fine in both sports with or without any additions

Pikeville loses starters Lowe in OF and Hensley DH. Stanley hit .333 last year. Agree no transfers necessary but still great addition...
Well if this is all true and actually happening then it’s a huge hit to the Pond Creek Nation. Adding Stanley is huge for Pikeville on both sides of the ball football wise and an immediately replacement baseball wise too. As for the Burke kid, who could blame him for wanting to go somewhere that throws the ball. Same goes for the Varney boys if they are in fact leaving also. But I guess time will tell if these are just threats or actual developments.
(06-21-2023, 03:44 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote: Well if this is all true and actually happening then it’s a huge hit to the Pond Creek Nation. Adding Stanley is huge for Pikeville on both sides of the ball football wise and an immediately replacement baseball wise too. As for the Burke kid, who could blame him  for wanting to go somewhere that throws the ball. Same goes for the Varney boys if they are in fact leaving also. But I guess time will tell if these are just threats or actual developments.
Everything will be clearer after dead period when practice starts.
(06-21-2023, 02:03 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

Pikeville loses starters Lowe in OF and Hensley DH. Stanley hit .333 last year. Agree no transfers necessary but still great addition...
Stanley is good at baseball and football. Gives Pikeville another good bath and a kid who can catch and play outfield. Very similar to Brendan Anthony on the football side.

(06-21-2023, 03:44 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote: Well if this is all true and actually happening then it’s a huge hit to the Pond Creek Nation. Adding Stanley is huge for Pikeville on both sides of the ball football wise and an immediately replacement baseball wise too. As for the Burke kid, who could blame him  for wanting to go somewhere that throws the ball. Same goes for the Varney boys if they are in fact leaving also. But I guess time will tell if these are just threats or actual developments.
If qb Varney leaves I don’t see him playing qb with Duty going into his Jr season.
(06-21-2023, 03:54 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:

Stanley is good at baseball and football. Gives Pikeville another good bath and a kid who can catch and play outfield. Very similar to Brendan Anthony on the football side.

If qb Varney leaves I don’t see him playing qb with Duty going into his Jr season.

If the Varneys leave, I don’t see Pikeville being the destination. BUT if Pikeville is, that will be a major QB competition between the incoming freshmen, Varney, and Duty, gives us another athlete in football with the other and adds depth in basketball. I don’t think the one plays baseball anymore, but the other gives 4 stud pitchers and a quality middle infielder.

I’m still betting those 2 do NOT leave Belfry. I’ve reached out and asked the one dad I know, his only answer is they are enrolled at Belfry.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RTruth's post:
  • Big Five-0-
(06-21-2023, 04:25 PM)RTruth Wrote:

If the Varneys leave, I don’t see Pikeville being the destination. BUT if Pikeville is, that will be a major QB competition between the incoming freshmen, Varney, and Duty, gives us another athlete in football with the other and adds depth in basketball. I don’t think the one plays baseball anymore, but the other gives 4 stud pitchers and a quality middle infielder. 

I’m still betting those 2 do NOT leave Belfry. I’ve reached out and asked the one dad I know, his only answer is they are enrolled at Belfry.
I'm leaning in the same direction RTruth. The Varney boys Dad is from a long established pond creek family that is enamored to Belfry football as you'll find anywhere, and he is a long time assistant coach as well. Plus ad to the fact that as someone else pointed out, Isaac Duty is a jr. QB that's earned his stripes. Pikeville Football doesn't look to be in need of a good QB for sometime to come with what is coming up in the ranks. Maybe possible to put them in the WO position, in fact if im remembering right, one of them played that position in last season's game at Pikeville. Interesting for sure.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Five-0-'s post:
  • jetpilot
Duty is a star and there will be no QB competition. LOL
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Big Five-0-

Never happen in a million years.
If Stanley resembles Anthony in football nobody in A-3A and probably 4A will touch Pikeville.
(06-21-2023, 11:45 PM)jetpilot Wrote: If Stanley resembles Anthony in football nobody in A-3A and probably 4A will touch Pikeville.
 You went completely off the rails when you continued into 4A. Boyle Co would put a running clock on Pikeville even if they added him and another twice as good.
[-] The following 2 users Like fansville's post:
  • Diogenes, FootballFan1999
You can never say JP isn’t all in on the panthers.. that’s for sure.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FootballFan1999's post:
  • jetpilot
(06-21-2023, 11:38 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

Never happen in a million years.
Pikeville was or will not be an option for them. Logan or Mingo maybe. Basketball played Jenkins last week and both played for Belfry
(06-22-2023, 01:01 AM)fansville Wrote:
(06-21-2023, 11:45 PM)jetpilot Wrote: If Stanley resembles Anthony in football nobody in A-3A and probably 4A will touch Pikeville.
 You went completely off the rails when you continued into 4A. Boyle Co would put a running clock on Pikeville even if they added him and another twice as good.

Wrong. Pikeville as good as Corbin last year who battled Boyle to the wire...
(06-22-2023, 09:08 AM)jetpilot Wrote:

Yes that was last years Pikeville team. He’s referring to the 2023 team. Pikeville lost over half their starters off that team including Birchfield and the entire o line
(06-22-2023, 09:44 AM)pirateforlife Wrote:

Yes that was last years Pikeville team. He’s referring to the 2023 team. Pikeville lost over half their starters off that team including Birchfield and the entire o line
Pikeville is loaded and the backfield will be fantastic. Line will be fine. All my years as a Pikeville fan not once have I heard "damn our line is killing us"

Woah Wrong. Enrollment size matters and Boyle's ability to attract great transfers to fill gaps is on par with any team in the state.

Wrong. Two good starters from last season's line will return. Jay McNamee and Jackson Wilkerson. It doesn't sound like much in comparison to last season's line, but two things. These two have the size, experience, and excelled in their positions last season, and those coming behind them looked very good when subbing in certain games. Add to that, Pikeville always draw talent from the region due to it's success on and off the field. So no. The entire line is not gone because of graduation or any other reason.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Five-0-'s post:
  • jetpilot
(06-22-2023, 01:05 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote:

Wrong. Two good starters from last season's line will return. Jay McNamee and Jackson Wilkerson. It doesn't sound like much in comparison to last season's line, but two things. These two have the size, experience, and excelled in their positions last season, and those coming behind them looked very good when subbing in certain games. Add to that, Pikeville always draw talent from the region due to its success on and off the field. So no. The entire line is not gone because of graduation or any other reason.
That can’t be true becaus I know for a fact Perez, the twins, and Thompson all started. That’s 4 right there. They lost their entire front 7 other than Anthony on defense.
(06-22-2023, 12:10 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

Woah Wrong. Enrollment size matters and Boyle's ability to attract great transfers to fill gaps is on par with any team in the state.

Pikeville - 58 players on roster
Boyle Co. - 47 players on roster
(06-22-2023, 01:51 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(06-22-2023, 12:10 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

Pikeville - 58 players on roster
Boyle Co. - 47 players on roster
Big Grin You misunderstood. I said enrollment size as in size of talent pool - not roster size. All roster size means is that Boyle County saves some money on trophies.
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next