•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Belfry 2023
(03-07-2023, 06:33 PM)RTruth Wrote:
(03-05-2023, 03:53 PM)#55PirateFan Wrote:
(02-27-2023, 12:34 PM)EKUAlum05 Wrote: Here is my hope as well... for the first time in forever I truly feel that 7 on 7 has huge merit for Belfry and can be a huge developmental tool if they take it serious and invest into it.

I dont see this Oline ever being dominant or capable of winning in November against a stacked box. Belfry's best weapon will be the fear that you can't stack 10 into the LOS and that a team has to commit a safety and or a LB who at least has to pause and read for fear of a pass.

They need a timing a rhythm between the Burke, a TE, and at least one back that they know they have a 5+ yard gain without play action that is likely every time they need it against a 0 coverage and a CB on an island. A quick slant, hitch, and out with Burke that is consistently thrown and caught... a flare to the flat to the back.. and at least the threat of a TE in the seam.

Additionally, that secondary has potential but they need reps and they need confidence and aggressiveness. 7 on 7 can help with that.
I agree EKU, the Pirates definitely have enough at the "skill positions", but it will be the O-Line that keeps them from winning another championship in the next couple years. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

They have a legitimate Division 1 prospect in Wolford and possible one in Dotson.

Rumor is they are changing offensive philosophy because they don’t have their usual linemen to go with those guys and to fit their personal better.

I’ll believe that when I see it.
Belfry has no Division 1 prospects. I do believe Wolford could play college ball if improves his mobility. Problem with that is they do not teach pass blocking because they do not pass enough to spend the time on stressing pass blocking. They return entire backfield with a bull of a full back. Decent speed at H Back. So I can’t see much change coming. They will go about as far as last season. The passing game will have one weapon in Burke and teams will figure that out easily. Belfry will be a solid team but not a title contender
The thing that has made Belfry great over the long haul is that they don’t change their system for anyone. Belfry will run the ball 90% of the time next year just like every year.
Facebook post make me think all is not well.
(03-17-2023, 05:47 PM)RTruth Wrote: Facebook post make me think all is not well.
For those of us not on Facebook, not well in what sort of way?
Yes do tell
Any info about Facebook post about what is not well?
(03-26-2023, 02:55 AM)Belfry fan 75 Wrote: Any info about Facebook post about what is not well?
I’ve neither seen nor heard anything.  Manufactured drama if u ask me.  I hope folks understand that to do something special….everyone needs to buy in.  Ego’s and personal achievements have to be set to the side.  Those things will come ….in the form of team success.   Team success will bring about opportunities
(03-26-2023, 04:47 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:
(03-26-2023, 02:55 AM)Belfry fan 75 Wrote: Any info about Facebook post about what is not well?
I’ve neither seen nor heard anything.  Manufactured drama if u ask me.  I hope folks understand that to do something special….everyone needs to buy in.  Ego’s and personal achievements have to be set to the side.  Those things will come ….in the form of team success.   Team success will bring about opportunities

(03-26-2023, 04:47 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:

The post didn’t say berate football, quite the opposite. Praised football and coaches, while throwing “daddy ball” in your other two men’s sports under the proverbial bus.
Has Belfry lost any kids back to Mingo since Jones took over. Just seen the Valdelamar kid transferred back..
Have the Pirates begun Spring ball yet?
Looks like the Pirates have finalized their schedule. Johnson Central on 09/01. 10 game schedule.

Breathitt
Clark Co
Johnson Central
Southwestern
Pikeville
Magoffin
Lawrence
Estill
Powell
Letcher Co
(05-24-2023, 06:54 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote: Looks like the Pirates have finalized their schedule.  Johnson Central on 09/01.  10 game schedule.

Breathitt
Clark Co
Johnson Central
Southwestern
Pikeville
Magoffin
Lawrence
Estill
Powell
Letcher Co
Could go 5-5 or if lucky 7-3. First 5 games should be tight. Last 5 much easier. Everything will be based on if the younger players have improved. Hopefully they are putting work in that is needed. Depth will be big issue
(05-30-2023, 07:12 PM)Truewords Wrote:
(05-24-2023, 06:54 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote: Looks like the Pirates have finalized their schedule.  Johnson Central on 09/01.  10 game schedule.

Breathitt
Clark Co
Johnson Central
Southwestern
Pikeville
Magoffin
Lawrence
Estill
Powell
Letcher Co
Could go 5-5 or if lucky 7-3. First 5 games should be tight. Last 5 much easier. Everything will be based on if the younger players have improved. Hopefully they are putting work in that is needed. Depth will be big issue

What does Lawerence return because that game last season was no easy win?
(05-31-2023, 11:48 AM)fansville Wrote:
(05-30-2023, 07:12 PM)Truewords Wrote:

Breathitt
Clark Co
Johnson Central
Southwestern
Pikeville
Magoffin
Lawrence
Estill
Powell
Letcher Co

What does Lawerence return because that game last season was no easy win?
Lawrence won that game.   Very tight until Belfry started turning the ball over.  Honestly neither team was world beaters by any stretch.   LC lost some big contributors…but seem to have some good talent in the pipeline.  Not sure what we’ll see from the Pirates.  Despite the championship in 2021…..the overall talent level has dropped a few notches since at least 2019.  Hoping this group can reverse the trend.
probably best to move the conversation from the 3a thread to here................
I follow Pikeville and Belfry and seen the other discussion.

Facts are your principal at Belfry despises that the community looks to Coach Haywood as the community leader.

He can’t fire Coach Haywood, but he can destroy every other program by hiring and keeping people who have an agenda. Destroying those programs, destroys football.

With that said, what is the connection to any kids going to Logan?

They aren’t good in football, don’t have a basketball coach, but they are the best baseball program in Southern West Virginia.
(06-19-2023, 11:43 PM)RTruth Wrote: I follow Pikeville and Belfry and seen the other discussion.

Facts are your principal at Belfry despises that the community looks to Coach Haywood as the community leader.

He can’t fire Coach Haywood, but he can destroy every other program by hiring and keeping people who have an agenda. Destroying those programs, destroys football.

They aren’t good in football, don’t have a basketball coach, but they are the best baseball program in Southern West Virginia.
Can’t say I disagree with any of what you said. Since the principal change the other programs have gone downhill for the most part. Baseball has had competitive teams but next year they will be bad. They return 4 kids who played much at all and the seniors they lost were all impact players this season.
(06-20-2023, 11:20 AM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(06-19-2023, 11:43 PM)RTruth Wrote: I follow Pikeville and Belfry and seen the other discussion.

Can’t say I disagree with any of what you said. Since the principal change the other programs have gone downhill for the most part. Baseball has had competitive teams but next year they will be bad. They return 4 kids who played much at all and the seniors they lost were all impact players this season.
2 of the 4 baseball returning are ones that are possibly leaving. Both play major roles on football team. If they all actually do leave it will be detrimental to all 3 programs. I’m afraid the Pirate ship is sinking and Principal doesn’t care.
(06-20-2023, 11:52 AM)Truewords Wrote:
(06-20-2023, 11:20 AM)pirateforlife Wrote:

2 of the 4 baseball returning are ones that are possibly leaving. Both play major roles on football team. If they all actually do leave it will be detrimental to all 3 programs. I’m afraid the Pirate ship is sinking and Principal doesn’t care.
Are they the ones who you’re hearing going to Pikeville or Logan? If they leave Phelps will beat them in baseball next season.
Easiest way to put rumors to rest is go watch practice and workouts
Is Belfry practicing or working out?
The names I’m hearing are shocking, but aren’t if everyone knows the history and situations
(06-20-2023, 12:42 PM)RTruth Wrote: Easiest way to put rumors to rest is go watch practice and workouts
The names I’m hearing are shocking, but aren’t if everyone knows the history and situations
Pretty sure it’s the dead period now so no one should be practice or working out at school facilities.
2023 Baseball Roster

10 Jonah Adkins INF, P Jr.           
7 Carter Jude INF, P 8th
3 Jonathan Banks OF, P Sr.
27 Devin Jude C, P Sr.
25 Steven Banks INF, P Sr.
24 Luke Maynard OF Fr.
21 Noah Brown INF, P Sr.         
8 Tucker Slone C Fr.
20 Dante Davis OF, P 8th         
 2 Isaiah Stanley OF So.
45 Gary Davis OF Jr.                 
5 Chase Varney INF, P Fr.
1 Bryce Hagy INF, OF 8th         
14 Jake Varney OF, P Sr.
44 David Hagy INF, OF Fr.         
17 Bo Wolford INF Fr.
12 Damian Hensley INF, P Fr.

2023 Basketball Roster

3 Jonathan Banks G, SF Sr.
22 Davey Hall SF So.
21 Noah Brown G, SF Sr.         
15 Kaleb Hensley G, PG Sr.
25 Aidan Burke G, PG Fr.         
14 Andrew Rhodes G, SF So.
34 Connor Bushman G, SF Fr.
20 Nick Savage G, PG Fr.
1 Eric Daniels G, PG Jr.         
2 Gage Thompson G Jr.
12 Keaton Deskins G, SF Fr.
23 Cayden Varney G, SF Fr.
0 Cody Erwin PG Sr.                 
5 Chase Varney G Fr.
44 David Hagy PF, SF Fr.         
11 Caden Woolum G, SF Jr.

Bold and Underlined= Underclassmen from Football Roster
(06-20-2023, 12:53 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(06-20-2023, 12:42 PM)RTruth Wrote: Easiest way to put rumors to rest is go watch practice and workouts
Pretty sure it’s the dead period now so no one should be practice or working out at school facilities.
Dead period starts 25th.
Would any of those guys start for Pikeville in football? Serious question, I have zero knowledge of talent levels at Belfry.
(06-20-2023, 02:06 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Would any of those guys start for Pikeville in football? Serious question, I have zero knowledge of talent levels at Belfry.
Yes most of them would start for Pikeville if they transferred. Not all but most.
(06-20-2023, 02:10 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(06-20-2023, 02:06 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Would any of those guys start for Pikeville in football? Serious question, I have zero knowledge of talent levels at Belfry.
Yes most of them would start for Pikeville if they transferred. Not all but most.

wow!
Parents must be furious. Belfry and Pikeville are such bitter football rivals I can't imagine a football player from either school ever wanting to switch schools. Now baseball and basketball, I can see it all day long...
Some very important names to the immediate future of Belfry athletics are underlined on those rosters above.

Since my kids were born and since my nephew went to High School I haven't stayed plugged in with Belfry football even a quarter of what I used to. For the additional Belfry sports, I haven't really plugged in at all.

I will say I was very shocked to see the same HC for both basketball and baseball. That is not common. Sometimes when you have a legendary coach in one specific sport, it may not be a stretch to see him/her do double duty at a small school (Bill Mike Runyon at Paintsville as an example), but with the shall we say "limited" success Belfry has enjoyed in those two sports over the past decade plus, seeing the same HC was very surprising to me to say the least.

I won't pretend to know what is going on, but I will say this...
As legendary as Coach Haywood is... it took lots of forward thinking, big changes, and a plan to evolve the Belfry program to where it went from a very good program to a Championship powerhouse during the 2000's until now.

Belfry upgraded their facilities, overhauled their youth football programs, put a bigger focus on speed training, joined the KYMSFA and started competing against statewide competition instead of regional competition, they significantly upgraded their Varsity schedule and challenged themselves, and more importantly set their target goals at a much loftier trajectory. Despite all that, it may even require more evolution for the football program to stay at that level as other programs have caught or even passed them (Pikeville).

I don't fault the football program, instead I sing their praises as they continue to work hard and seek improvement, but I am not sure if the same initiative has been shared for any other athletics program the past couple decades. Seems to be a whole lot of stagnation. Heck, Belfry even had a couple strong programs.. their Girl's BB and Volleyball programs both were winning the region routinely at the start of the 2000's... even those programs seem to be a shell of what they once were.
(06-20-2023, 02:23 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Parents must be furious. Belfry and Pikeville are such bitter football rivals I can't imagine a football player from either school ever wanting to switch schools. Now baseball and basketball, I can see it all day long...
Biggest problem is Basketball and Baseball but Football still has issues. All 4 are starters at just about any school they go to. Only 1 hearing coming to Pikeville.
(06-20-2023, 02:29 PM)EKUAlum05 Wrote: Some very important names to the immediate future of Belfry athletics are underlined on those rosters above.

Since my kids were born and since my nephew went to High School I haven't stayed plugged in with Belfry football even a quarter of what I used to. For the additional Belfry sports, I haven't really plugged in at all.

I will say I was very shocked to see the same HC for both basketball and baseball. That is not common. Sometimes when you have a legendary coach in one specific sport, it may not be a stretch to see him/her do double duty at a small school (Bill Mike Runyon at Paintsville as an example), but with the shall we say "limited" success Belfry has enjoyed in those two sports over the past decade plus, seeing the same HC was very surprising to me to say the least.

I won't pretend to know what is going on, but I will say this...
As legendary as Coach Haywood is... it took lots of forward thinking, big changes, and a plan to evolve the Belfry program to where it went from a very good program to a Championship powerhouse during the 2000's until now.

Belfry upgraded their facilities, overhauled their youth football programs, put a bigger focus on speed training, joined the KYMSFA and started competing against statewide competition instead of regional competition, they significantly upgraded their Varsity schedule and challenged themselves, and more importantly set their target goals at a much loftier trajectory. Despite all that, it may even require more evolution for the football program to stay at that level as other programs have caught or even passed them (Pikeville).

I don't fault the football program, instead I sing their praises as they continue to work hard and seek improvement, but I am not sure if the same initiative has been shared for any other athletics program the past couple decades. Seems to be a whole lot of stagnation. Heck, Belfry even had a couple strong programs.. their Girl's BB and Volleyball programs both were winning the region routinely at the start of the 2000's... even those programs seem to be a shell of what they once were.
Bill Mike is a much better option than the one that is currently running the clown show at bhs
you have a ferrari football program and a 2005 ford focus athletic department, and the focus is screwing the ferrari now. i think jenkins even has different coaches for the 3 big boys sports.............
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next