•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Pikeville Vs Raceland (KHSAA 1A State Championship)
Been watching Raceland all year because I knew this matchup was looming. Exactly how it should be, the two best teams in the title game. If P Sayers is unable to go it really levels the playing field because in my opinion that LOS is where Pikeville’s advantage lies. I think skill wise it’s pretty even. Raceland is going to be the best defense that Pikeville has seen since probably Corbin and Cov Cath.
I still think the number is 28. Which team can get to 28? If Pikeville gets to 28, I’m just not sure Raceland can score 28. Also can Raceland run the ball effectively? If not and Lundy has to throw it 20 plus times, then advantage Pikeville. I’ll give a few more thoughts later in the week as more info comes in.
As for Boykins, Pikeville has missed his home run capabilities but they’ve managed his absence pretty well with Bevins. I’m not completely sure on his injury or his status for this coming week.
Should be a great championship game
(11-26-2022, 06:44 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
(11-26-2022, 06:35 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: Rams need to play loose as well. When our offense is mixing things up, man we are fun to watch. This game could turn into a shootout with all the play makers on the field. Or it could turn into a slow paced dog fight bc both defenses are so damn stout.
Our special teams may break us as well.  We have had teams get momentum after a special teams blunder and we can’t afford that in this game.  The punt return from Noon from Highlands stands out as that started a 21 point hole that we couldn’t dig out of.
There isn’t a Noon in this game. Nobody on Pikevilles team is anything like that dude. Yes Pikeville has some great players but that dude is on the next level.
(11-26-2022, 07:10 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote: Been watching Raceland all year because I knew this matchup was looming. Exactly how it should be, the two best teams in the title game. If P Sayers is unable to go it really levels the playing field because in my opinion that LOS is where Pikeville’s advantage lies. I think skill wise it’s pretty even. Raceland is going to be the best defense  that Pikeville has seen since probably Corbin and Cov Cath.
I still think the number is 28. Which team can get to 28? If Pikeville gets to 28, I’m just not sure Raceland can score 28. Also can Raceland run the ball effectively? If not and Lundy has to throw it 20 plus times, then advantage Pikeville. I’ll give a few more thoughts later in the week as more info comes in.
As for Boykins, Pikeville has missed his home run capabilities but they’ve managed his absence pretty well with Bevins. I’m not completely sure on his injury or his status for this coming week.
Should be a great championship game

This is a perfect break down and I agree with every point.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • Orange Blaze
(11-26-2022, 07:20 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:
(11-26-2022, 06:35 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: Rams need to play loose as well. When our offense is mixing things up, man we are fun to watch. This game could turn into a shootout with all the play makers on the field. Or it could turn into a slow paced dog fight bc both defenses are so damn stout.
Our special teams may break us as well.  We have had teams get momentum after a special teams blunder and we can’t afford that in this game.  The punt return from Noon from Highlands stands out as that started a 21 point hole that we couldn’t dig out of.
There isn’t a Noon in this game. Nobody on Pikevilles team is anything like that dude. Yes Pikeville has some great players but that dude is on the next level.
I was just using him as an example of a special teams failure this season.  Our most recent was last night when we shanked a punt deep in our own territory.  We can’t afford to give Pikeville that type of momentum swing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orange Blaze's post:
  • RAMDAD50
No we can’t. We can not give them any extra opportunities. That was the first “non-bomb” of a punt out of alumina all season. That being said though, we haven’t punted much the last few weeks. Possessions were so limited last week there wasn’t much of it and the first two rounds we didn’t have to. Didn’t have to against LC really or Paintsville. I’m glad to see us have to go 4 quarters the last two games. We will definitely need 4 to beat the Panthers.
Hey Scotty….are you guys getting flooded out down around your house ??? The streets are flooding here. I love the taste of tears from Ohio State fans hahahah
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • Humpty Dumpty
Bahahahahahahaha
I am in a coaching mentorship program and I wrote this piece and what it takes to succeed in our group discussion.

“This past weekend the American high school football team at the school I coach track at made it to its second state finals appearance in school history. We are 13-1 and a win would be our first football state championship in school history. While it was a proud moment for our program I am not here to talk about us but the team we play against.

We play in the smallest school division in Kentucky. The school I coach at is Raceland and our opponent is Pikeville. Pikeville has become a perennial powerhouse in our division and has won 3 state championships since 2015 and they are the defending champions from last year. We met them last season and they beat us 36-7 in the state semifinals have beaten us in 5 consecutive games since 2018. They also beat us soundly in our regional track meet last spring. We are about a 2 touchdown underdog against them next week.

They have become a model of success to be followed for numerous reasons. They typically always have the strongest line in our division every season and their athletes are relatively bulletproof and don’t have many injuries. Their team speed is usually really good too and last season they finished 4th place in our state track meet.

What stands out to me about their program is their head coach. He had been coaching for over 15 years before winning his first state title and had a few really bad teams early in his career. He had kept plugging along over his career and figured out the recipe for success and now he has a dominant program across the state and they would likely be a top 5 team in the next 3 highest divisions in our state as well. I share this because I was reflecting on what it took for both of our programs to get to this point. I will tell the story of Raceland’s journey in a later post.

My main take away for both teams was that patience will be rewarded as long as you continue growing and develop a system along with a strong support team of coaches, athletes, parents, and the community at large that buy into your philosophy and try to execute it to perfection. Hopefully this is year is when our team figures out how to win the big one. I’ll keep everyone posted and tell you how it goes next week!”
[-] The following 7 users Like Orange Blaze's post:
  • Bull got out!, HAIL PIKEVILLE!, Humpty Dumpty, jetpilot, Panther Thunder, Walt Longmire, Westside
Experience matters in Championship games and that advantage obviously goes to Pikeville. I don’t think people give that aspect enough thought.

I will say 21-7 at the half and 42-20 Final.
That’s the biggest advantage Pikeville has, imo. That’s what Blaze and I have been talking about. Having been there, having done that. Racelands only title appearance ended in a tremendously lopsided loss to Beechwood. The big ticket item is big game experience when you get to this point. It’s probably the toughest obstacle to overcome.
(11-27-2022, 12:00 AM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: That’s the biggest advantage Pikeville has, imo. That’s what Blaze and I have been talking about. Having been there, having done that. Racelands only title appearance ended in a tremendously lopsided loss to Beechwood. The big ticket item is big game experience when you get to this point. It’s probably the toughest obstacle to overcome.
I’ve been on a state championship team in another sport (track) and I agree.  Everyone on our team had competed in the state meet at least twice before we won it and the year we won we were able to tune out the noise from being at the big stage.  As I stated in another post we have all of the tools to win, we just have to show up and play our game and win or lose the rest will take care of itself.

The punt against Raceland was the only punt he returned for a TD all year.
(11-27-2022, 01:21 AM)jetpilot Wrote:

The punt against Raceland was the only punt he returned for a TD all year.
He returned a punt or a kickoff against CovCath I believe. Seems like I remember reading that somewhere
Pikeville will win this game. I’m unsure the score but a blowout wouldn’t shock me. Raceland is a good squad but the Panthers are just different.
(11-26-2022, 05:13 PM)16thregioner Wrote: What Raceland has done is great.  Schools, facilities, and a dedicated sports-minded community that are second to none in the area.  The only rival at this point would be Ironton in Ohio.  Both wear orange and black.  Separated by only 5 miles.  Ironically, both play for a state title Friday morning, Ironton at 10:30 and Raceland at noon.  The only difference I see is that Raceland has an easier path to a state title game and Ironton seems to have more connections if players want to play at the next level.  Depends on what you’re looking for, but those 2 have lapped the other football programs in the area.  Those watching the off the field “arms race” as Ram-a-Devil called it will be watching the results of those 2 state title games as the results could influence some of the next generation of parents and players in our area.

I assume Pikeville has a similar “arms race” that they’ve been winning in their area for years.

I've lived in the 16th region my entire life and in Raceland almost three decades. Raceland, along with Greenup, Ashland, and Russell hold a special place in my heart. That said, Raceland definitely hasn't "lapped" the other schools in our area. The ultimate measure of a program is winning a championship. The truth is the path to a football championship in Kentucky is relatively easy compared to most states due to having six classes and a small population...our students per class ratio is ridiculously small and we play in the smallest class yet we always seem to come up just short.  It seems like there's always that one team...and it's currently Pikeville.
Facilities are great but heck, Cov Cath didn't have stadium lights until I believe 2017? The ultimate measure is winning championships, not facilities. I'd rather spend Friday nights playing in a sandlot if we win titles. I hope this year we get over the hump but Pikeville is making me think it's going to be the same old story....
If Pikeville's O-line keeps playing the way they have pretty much all year then it's gonna be hard to stop the panther offense!! Raceland's D has got to control the box & play very disciplined football!! Part of me says Pikeville huge, part of me says whichever team doesn't shoot them self in the foot with turnovers & penalties wins. I guess the bigger part of me is saying Pikeville by 14+
(11-27-2022, 12:15 PM)i82much Wrote:
(11-26-2022, 05:13 PM)16thregioner Wrote: What Raceland has done is great.  Schools, facilities, and a dedicated sports-minded community that are second to none in the area.  The only rival at this point would be Ironton in Ohio.  Both wear orange and black.  Separated by only 5 miles.  Ironically, both play for a state title Friday morning, Ironton at 10:30 and Raceland at noon.  The only difference I see is that Raceland has an easier path to a state title game and Ironton seems to have more connections if players want to play at the next level.  Depends on what you’re looking for, but those 2 have lapped the other football programs in the area.  Those watching the off the field “arms race” as Ram-a-Devil called it will be watching the results of those 2 state title games as the results could influence some of the next generation of parents and players in our area.

I assume Pikeville has a similar “arms race” that they’ve been winning in their area for years.

I've lived in the 16th region my entire life and in Raceland almost three decades. Raceland, along with Greenup, Ashland, and Russell hold a special place in my heart. That said, Raceland definitely hasn't "lapped" the other schools in our area. The ultimate measure of a program is winning a championship. The truth is the path to a football championship in Kentucky is relatively easy compared to most states due to having six classes and a small population...our students per class ratio is ridiculously small and we play in the smallest class yet we always seem to come up just short.  It seems like there's always that one team...and it's currently Pikeville.
Facilities are great but heck, Cov Cath didn't have stadium lights until I believe 2017? The ultimate measure is winning championships, not facilities. I'd rather spend Friday nights playing in a sandlot if we win titles. I hope this year we get over the hump but Pikeville is making me think it's going to be the same old story....
I use to think the same way. As I e gotten older and I would say more ….open eyed about the reality of what we have in Raceland compared to other places. Not having a state championship doesn’t bother me anymore. Think of it like this. Pairs ….you seen how hard that program has fallen. Would you trade the program for a championship? Pairs has 3 and at one time had the winningest coach in the state. Look where they’re at now. I think the goal for Raceland moving forward should be week 14. You make it to week 14 every year and play the day after thanksgiving at home where the community can come together and make memories…. Week 15 is just a bonus game. We are putting quality young men out into the real world. We are winning far more than we are losing. If we enjoy the ride more then the destination then you really learn to appreciate what you have. Did anyone see some of the Raceland seniors crying last Friday after the win?You know why they were crying??? It’s the last time they will ever play on their field.They have to pay to get in that stadium the next time they come to a game. As sick as this sounds …..thy was beautiful to me cause it’s been a long time since we’ve had a group like this at Raceland and I’m not talking about the winning aspect. Friday is a bonus….the next game is for the boys and the boys only!
[-] The following 2 users Like RAMDAD50's post:
  • Jarons, Orange Blaze
I loved this New Cath game for the Panthers, because they felt offensively eerily similar to Raceland. A big 6’5 qb that can run it and sling it, btw that kid for New Cath had an absolute cannon. He threw a couple balls that were friggin lasers, too hot for anyone to catch. Also #7 a big strong athletic back very similar to Wallace. #4 a slot type receiver that’s super quick in space that they’d move around similar to Hughes. Another long athletic receiver similar to Lykins. Now not saying the New Cath kids were better or worse than Racelands skill but def similar. Also New Cath had a very athletic offensive line similar to Racelands. Lots of the same concepts with counters and stretch and really want to lean on the running game . I loved it in the sense that Pikeville essentially was getting two weeks to prepare for Racelands offense.
Now the big difference….Racelands defense.
Raceland is a much stiffer defensive opponent. They read and react very quickly. Their kids don’t stay blocked. They tackle well. They’re coached well. Can Pikeville have success running it? Pikeville’s running game hasn’t been slowed in quite a while, if Raceland can hold the Panthers to 21 or less they can 100% win their first state title. If Pikeville gets to that 28 number or more then the Panthers get #7.
(11-27-2022, 12:34 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:

I use to think the same way. As I e gotten older and I would say more ….open eyed about the reality of what we have in Raceland compared to other places. Not having a state championship doesn’t bother me anymore. Think of it like this. Pairs ….you seen how hard that program has fallen. Would you trade the program for a championship? Pairs has 3 and at one time had the winningest coach in the state. Look where they’re at now. I think the goal for Raceland moving forward should be week 14. You make it to week 14 every year and play the day after thanksgiving at home where the community can come together and make memories…. Week 15 is just a bonus game. We are putting quality young men out into the real world. We are winning far more than we are losing. If we enjoy the ride more then the destination then you really learn to appreciate what you have. Did anyone see some of the Raceland seniors crying last Friday after the win?You know why they were crying??? It’s the last time they will ever play on their field.They have to pay to get in that stadium the next time they come to a game. As sick as this sounds …..thy was beautiful to me cause it’s been a long time since we’ve had a group like this at Raceland and I’m not talking about the winning aspect. Friday is a bonus….the next game is for the boys and the boys only!
I agree with all of this.  I have been watching Raceland play since I was a small child and have played in Ram stadium.  The one thing I’ve always known was the passion that our community has for the football team.  Going to the games is a special experience because you can feel the spirit of everyone that has every worn the orange and black in the stadium.  I have watched football across different parts of Kentucky and in other states and the atmosphere you have at Raceland is just different from the cars parked in the highway to the fans sitting in lawn chairs in the end zone.  To me a championship is icing for what has been a special program for a very long time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orange Blaze's post:
  • Jarons
I've got a lot of respect for Raceland Football, great and passionate fanbase and it's just a matter of time until the Rams get their state title but I just hope this isn't the year.

Everyone has known these 2 teams have been on a collision course all season, I will take the Panthers 28-21.
This is a matchup of the 2 best teams in 1A. Pikeville is just better. Raceland has better athletes at receiver. Pikeville has Birchfield and that will be the difference. Everyone has tried to stop him but no one has. I would like to see Pikeville use Scott more in passing game he is big target with good hands. The X factor will be Bevins for Pikeville he could have a big game. Pikeville 42. Raceland 20.
(11-27-2022, 12:34 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:

I agree with everything you just said.  That's not the angle I'm coming from. The post I was responding to used words like "lapped" every other program, "arms race" and the OUTCOME of this game could influence some of the next generation of parents and players. I think Russell has a great program that's going through a tough period. I think the group of young men they had this year proved what it took to hold your head up through adversity. That's character. I'm not equating wins with a successful program but IF you're talking about best programs in any sport then the argument ALWAYS involves championships. Whether it's high school, college, or professional. We need to have won at least a few to put ourselves in that arena.
[-] The following 1 user Likes i82much's post:
  • RAMDAD50
(11-26-2022, 09:56 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: Hey Scotty….are you guys getting flooded out down around your house ??? The streets are flooding here. I love the taste of tears from Ohio State fans hahahah

LOL
So the only advantage Pikeville has is because they have been to the championship before, so I take that as Raceland has a better offense and defensive lines plus better running backs better linebackers better defensive backs and better receivers and definitely better quarterback and coaches so why worried about winning the game if your whole team is better. Where you at Jet-Pilot? As always GO PANTHERS!!! I still believe you guys have a chance
(11-27-2022, 09:44 PM)Patriot1 Wrote: So the only advantage Pikeville has is because they have been to the championship before, so I take that as Raceland has a better offense and defensive lines plus better running backs better linebackers better defensive backs and better receivers and definitely better quarterback and coaches so why worried about winning the game if your whole team is better. Where you at Jet-Pilot? As always GO PANTHERS!!! I still believe you guys have a chance
The only place Raceland has  better skill is At receiver. Pikeville is better every where else. QB might be close to even. Birchfield will be best player on the field. Coaching is Pikeville by way to much to measure. Pikeville will have to beat themselves in order not to repeat.
(11-27-2022, 10:20 PM)Truewords Wrote:
(11-27-2022, 09:44 PM)Patriot1 Wrote: So the only advantage Pikeville has is because they have been to the championship before, so I take that as Raceland has a better offense and defensive lines plus better running backs better linebackers better defensive backs and better receivers and definitely better quarterback and coaches so why worried about winning the game if your whole team is better. Where you at Jet-Pilot? As always GO PANTHERS!!! I still believe you guys have a chance
The only place Raceland has  better skill is At receiver. Pikeville is better every where else. QB might be close to even. Birchfield will be best player on the field. Coaching is Pikeville by way to much to measure. Pikeville will have to beat themselves in order not to repeat.
QB is not close. Lundy forces some passes but he’s by far the best QB in this game. Also expect him to run the ball more this football game than he has all year. No knock on the other kid, he’s going to be a fine HS QB.
I disagree with that about receivers because Pikeville don’t use them much and why should they if the running game is working but I am not saying they are better but they are good but just not used but I definitely believe they are a great set of receivers but as always GO Pikeville!!!
(11-27-2022, 10:35 PM)KYHSFB Wrote:
QB is not close. Lundy forces some passes but he’s by far the best QB in this game. Also expect him to run the ball more this football game than he has all year. No knock on the other kid, he’s going to be a fine HS QB.
Well I’ll say this, he’s going to get a chance to prove it. My opinion, if Raceland is to win it will be clearly on his shoulders.

nope!! That’s the biggest advantage. Here’s my breakdown:

QBs: 
By the numbers it’s really close. But I’m going with Lundy based on experience and ability to run between the tackles.

WRs:
Advantage Raceland if Boykins is out. If Boykins plays, advantage Pikeville, imo. He will be the fastest on the field.

RBs:
Advantage Pikeville. Birchfield, Wright, and the other horse are a 3 headed freight train from hell. Imo, Wallace is just as hard nosed as Birchfield, just doesn’t have the breakaway speed. Farrow is as fast, but not as downhill or physical, Browning just isn’t as strong. 

OL:
it’s a toss up. Pikeville is definitely stronger, so advantage to them. But Raceland is faster upfront on offense and gets out on the second level as good as anyone in the state. If Salyer is out, advantage Raceland, if he is in, advantage Pikeville.

DL:
Another toss up. Again it’s speed vs strength here. 

LBs: Pikeville by a slim margin bc of size and Carson Wright. Raceland flies sideline to sideline like crazy though as a front 7. I just think Pikeville may be a little stronger.

Secondary: 
adblvantage Pikeville. They are just as atheistic as our secondary but outside of Wallace, they are significantly bigger I believe and just as quick.

Imo, it comes down to if Raceland has made enough strides in the off-season to physically stand toe to toe with the Panthers. From an athletic standpoint, we are neck and neck. And our LBs have drastically improved over the last year. 

midway through the season, I was second guessing our ability to hang. Now I feel like we can do that and then some. Still thumbing my way through Pikevilles games to make my final prediction. Neither one of these teams are who they were in weeks 1-4 btw. Not even close.
It’s no secret what both defenses are going to try to do. Both will try to stop the running game and force each others QB to win the game for them. Raceland has done it all year long and Pikeville will try to do the same. Wallace is a load and so is birchfield. May the best team win.
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next