Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 All Mountain 1st Team
Yep. I’m not arguing Collins isn’t great. My point was the phrase “any list that doesn’t have him at 1 is not legit.” He’s got the stats, but I look more into than that. And IMO it should be loooked more into. If we just went by stats on everything on every level, the heisman would always be someone from North Dakota state. Or a place like that, that doesn’t face the competition that P5
Schools face. Same on the Hs level. Belfry played much much better competition. It doesn’t take away from what Collins did. But in a way it’s almost unproven to me. I’ll take a kid on my team with slightly less better stats that’s went against some of the best, than a kid that’s blown it up playing lesser competition. To me you get into a lot of “what if’s”. I don’t know that Collins would have done the same thing playing a tough schedule. He might have. He might not have. But I go with what I know. Dixon played some dang good teams, hurt half the time, and still did great. But I don’t get a vote, so what I think dont matter haha
#76 Matt Compton from Pikeville has been a top 5 lineman in the mountains the past two years. imo
Congratulations to all these kids.
Collins from Breathitt was a better back than anyone on this list.
Why? I’m not say he is or isn’t. Like I said earlier. I’m going with the one that’s proven.
Hound05 Wrote:Why? I’m not say he is or isn’t. Like I said earlier. I’m going with the one that’s proven.

Give it up. He absolutely is and proved it everywhere he played. He is proven and arguing otherwise is a slight to him.

Stats don’t tell all but one could argue he wasn’t playing behind a line as talented as these other guys, Breathitt had less other options to score, and he had fewer carries than the other guys. It’s a joke he isn’t listed here.
Coin Toss Wrote:Give it up. He absolutely is and proved it everywhere he played. He is proven and arguing otherwise is a slight to him.

Stats don’t tell all but one could argue he wasn’t playing behind a line as talented as these other guys, Breathitt had less other options to score, and he had fewer carries than the other guys. It’s a joke he isn’t listed here.

The Collins kid is a great player no doubt. He was great last year at Anderson Co and Montgomery Co before that. I do think Breathitt’s weak schedule overall has impacted some folks idea of just how good the kid is. Breathitt had a nice O-Line for him to run behind......but their SOS was just awful.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:The Collins kid is a great player no doubt. He was great last year at Anderson Co and Montgomery Co before that. I do think Breathitt’s weak schedule overall has impacted some folks idea of just how good the kid is. Breathitt had a nice O-Line for him to run behind......but their SOS was just awful.
It’s a fair argument. But, it’s not like he was getting 25 carries per game against Jenkins. He was done early in several games. Limited attempts against anyone would skew stats down, not up. I watched the kid play every game this year. He’s next level explosive, has good vision, good not great top end speed. Limitations are not really shifty, makes one good cut but hardly if ever cuts “back”...

It’s just funny he’s mentioned in nearly all other publications in some capacity (thus others recognize his season) and nothing here...
It’s just funny he’s mentioned in nearly all other publications in some capacity (thus others recognize his season) and nothing here...[/QUOTE]

This team is comprised only of schools covered by the Hazard Herald, Floyd County Times and Appalachian News Express.

Only players covered by these papers were eligible for this team.
nannook Wrote:It’s just funny he’s mentioned in nearly all other publications in some capacity (thus others recognize his season) and nothing here...

This team is comprised only of schools covered by the Hazard Herald, Floyd County Times and Appalachian News Express.

Only players covered by these papers were eligible for this team.[/QUOTE]

FWIW... that is correct. I believe the papers are all owned and produced by the same company. If I'm not mistaken, the Appalachian News Express released the POY and finalists...and they released their All Mountain team thru the Hazard paper.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:This team is comprised only of schools covered by the Hazard Herald, Floyd County Times and Appalachian News Express.

Only players covered by these papers were eligible for this team.

FWIW... that is correct. I believe the papers are all owned and produced by the same company. If I'm not mistaken, the Appalachian News Express released the POY and finalists...and they released their All Mountain team thru the Hazard paper.[/QUOte]

Well, in that case I understand his omission.
Come on guys, read the first post. I said that it was more than likely just "their" coverage area. Some of you are getting bent out of shape over nothing. If you would just read a little, it might save your blood pressure from shooting sky high!

And I'll tell you something else, Dixon, Phelps, Raines, and Anderson isn't to shabby themselves! Not saying Collins isn't a good RB. But I will say that the schedule he played "this year" had alot to do with his numbers. It would be hard for me to take any one of those 4 off the list to add anyone. Raines and Dixon won State Championships. Phelps led his team to the championship game. And Anderson got hurt if I'm not mistaken towards the end of the year. And before you go trying to say he's better than Isaac Dixon take a step back and just think about it.

Dixon missed 3-4 games this year and still ended the season with over 1,000 yards rushing. And look what he did in the playoffs against some really good competition, competition that was far more better than any Breathitt had faced all year. Had a damn good game against Ashland, a team that was favored to beat us and we put a running clock on. The DeSales game was a battle to the very end of the 2nd OT. Dont know his stats for either of those games but we wouldn't have won either without him. Then, when it counted the most, he rushed for 228 yards and 3 touchdowns in the championship game at Kroger Field earning MVP honors. Dixon led the Pirates to their 7th State Championship. You'll never make me believe that the other kid was better.
Texans_99 Wrote:Collins from Breathitt was a better back than anyone on this list.

There's two state champions and a runner up on this list. How can you honestly say that with a straight face? And if your are going off of stats, read my previous post and it'll have enough of Dixon's stats in it that you'll need. And you can't be going off competition, because the only real competition Breathitt faced all year was their last game.

Now I'm not saying that I know for a fact that Collins isn't the best RB of the four that's mentioned, because I don't. But you can't make a post like this trying to say he is without a doubt better than all the other four that made this list. Come on man!
Hound05 Wrote:Yep. I’m not arguing Collins isn’t great. My point was the phrase “any list that doesn’t have him at 1 is not legit.” He’s got the stats, but I look more into than that. And IMO it should be loooked more into. If we just went by stats on everything on every level, the heisman would always be someone from North Dakota state. Or a place like that, that doesn’t face the competition that P5
Schools face. Same on the Hs level. Belfry played much much better competition. It doesn’t take away from what Collins did. But in a way it’s almost unproven to me. I’ll take a kid on my team with slightly less better stats that’s went against some of the best, than a kid that’s blown it up playing lesser competition. To me you get into a lot of “what if’s”. I don’t know that Collins would have done the same thing playing a tough schedule. He might have. He might not have. But I go with what I know. Dixon played some dang good teams, hurt half the time, and still did great. But I don’t get a vote, so what I think dont matter haha

Agree!
Lexington has come out with the all city roster, who’s ready to argue about it..I think I should have been on it..
If Collins would of played for Belfry or Corbin, he would had even better stats than he did at Breathitt. Coach Moore didnt let him carry it 30 or 40 times a game. He let everyone on the team get touches. If he played at Belfry, Belfry would beat Bell by 6 or 7 TDs. If hed played for Corbin, Corbin would of beaten Wayne pretty handedly. Hes that good.
DukeBoy Wrote:If Collins would of played for Belfry or Corbin, he would had even better stats than he did at Breathitt. Coach Moore didnt let him carry it 30 or 40 times a game. He let everyone on the team get touches. If he played at Belfry, Belfry would beat Bell by 6 or 7 TDs. If hed played for Corbin, Corbin would of beaten Wayne pretty handedly. Hes that good.

No he wouldn't. Do you think Dixon got all the touches at Belfry? Nope, and Collins wouldn't have either if he was there. We had three backs this year rush for over 1,000 yards each. And all three were "that good".
DukeBoy Wrote:If Collins would of played for Belfry or Corbin, he would had even better stats than he did at Breathitt. Coach Moore didnt let him carry it 30 or 40 times a game. He let everyone on the team get touches. If he played at Belfry, Belfry would beat Bell by 6 or 7 TDs. If hed played for Corbin, Corbin would of beaten Wayne pretty handedly. Hes that good.

Do you realize how you are making this sound. I respect the kids that play on the Breathitt line. They had a outstanding year.

Now when you bring up if he would have been on Corbin's team lol. Corbin beat themselves in both games with turnovers. Now, those games are in the past. Congratulations again to Wayne. They played and won, Wayne is a outstanding team. With in my opinion the best back in 4A.

The difference to me in a Sloan, Dixon, or even a London Stephney in comparison. Is it takes a very disciplined defense that is focusing on just the one kid to stop them. Because they are just that good. And sometimes, that don't work.

I can see you believe he is one of the best. Hey, I saw him against Somerset. He did look strong and broke a long touchdown run. Looked like he ran hard. But saying he would have done this and that. I just don't go there. That is really disrespecting a lot of kids on a lot of teams. I would enjoy his stats and season and hope he plays college somewhere.
Sorry Im not psychic and dont put a lot of thought into what all of you are thinking. The Collins kid from Breathitt is one of the best players I have EVER saw come through the mountains and I have saw a many. Breathitts line was good but probably not as good as Belfrys or Corbins. Just my opinion. Not disrepecting anyone.
DukeBoy Wrote:Sorry Im not psychic and dont put a lot of thought into what all of you are thinking. The Collins kid from Breathitt is one of the best players I have EVER saw come through the mountains and I have saw a many. Breathitts line was good but probably not as good as Belfrys or Corbins. Just my opinion. Not disrepecting anyone.

Nothing wrong with liking a kid and believing in him. Ill take that.

I knew he was a good back when the rumors of him transferring to Breathitt was surfacing on here. FoSho was giving him some good compliments. Talking about how good he was vs Boyle. So no doubt, he is a very good athlete.
If the criteria for being a school in the mountains is be inside the WYMT viewing area. Then Wayne county is a mountain school. So I guess you have to add them. And their 1st team all state running back.
I hope this clears this up for some of you. Not once was it said this list was made from inside their VIEWING AREA, it said their COVERAGE AREA. The eight easternmost counties of Lexington: Pike, Floyd, Martin, Johnson, Lawrence, Bell, Harlen, McCreary, including their home county Perry is their coverage area according to their website.

From their site:

"WYMT-TV, virtual channel 57 (VHF digital channel 12), is a CBS-affiliated television station licensed to Hazard, Kentucky, United States and serving the EASTERN KENTUCKY COALFIELD REGION. The station is owned by Gray Television. WYMT-TV's studios are located on Black Gold Boulevard off the KY 15 bypass in Hazard, and its transmitter is located south of the city in Perry County.

WYMT serves 20 counties in the eastern part of Kentucky. It also serves several counties in southwest Virginia and western West Virginia, and appears on cable television in Claiborne County, Tennessee. It primarily serves the EIGHT EASTERNMOST COUNTIES OF LEXINGTON market (including Perry County, home to Hazard itself). However, its claimed coverage area includes portions of three additional DMAs. The easternmost counties (PIKE, FLOYD, MARTIN, JOHNSON, and LAWRENCE) are in the Huntington–Charleston, West Virginia market (home territory for sister station and NBC affiliate WSAZ-TV). Letcher and Leslie counties in Kentucky, Wise County including the independent city of Norton, Dickenson County including Clintwood in Virginia are in the Tri-Cities DMA. WYMT also claims to serve BELL, HARLEN, and MCCREARY counties, which are part of the Knoxville market (home territory for sister station and fellow CBS affiliate WVLT-TV)".

If this doesn't help, then you might want to call their station and tell them all about it and let them know who should be on this team.
And before I get yelled at or confuse anyone else, let me also say that they cover some area's in West Virginia as well; that's why there's some kids from WV on the list.
#55PirateFan Wrote:And before I get yelled at or confuse anyone else, let me also say that they cover some area's in West Virginia as well; that's why there's some kids from WV on the list.

I thought this list is from a newspaper, not WYMT? Am I mistaken?

If it is from WYMT, and I don't believe it is, then it is a horrible list. You can't rank the teams from Breathitt, Somerset, Pulaski, Wayne etc in your Mountain Top 10 and not put them on the Wall-Mountain Team. That's why I don't think it has anything to do with the WYMT viewing or coverage area.
DukeBoy Wrote:Sorry Im not psychic and dont put a lot of thought into what all of you are thinking. The Collins kid from Breathitt is one of the best players I have EVER saw come through the mountains and I have saw a many. Breathitts line was good but probably not as good as Belfrys or Corbins. Just my opinion. Not disrepecting anyone.

No need to be sorry about anything brother. I get it, your a Collins fan. Hell, I am to. The kid is a stud. Same goes for Slone from Wayne County. I think its between Slone and Hightower for the best RB in the state award. And if Breathitt and Wayne was in their coverage area not a doubt in my mind that both would have been on this list. But their not.
Walt Longmire Wrote:I thought this list is from a newspaper, not WYMT? Am I mistaken?

If it is from WYMT, and I don't believe it is, then it is a horrible list. You can't rank the teams from Breathitt, Somerset, Pulaski, Wayne etc in your Mountain Top 10 and not put them on the Wall-Mountain Team. That's why I don't think it has anything to do with the WYMT viewing or coverage area.

It is THEIR mountain team not THE mountain team. From what I was told it was from a newspaper that went off the WYMT coverage area. And like its already been said, the counties that were taken into account are Pike, Floyd, Martin, Johnson, Perry, Harlen, McCreary, Bell, and Lawrence counties and a couple areas in West Virginia. How about this, just look at it as the title being "The Far Eastern Kentucky Eight County Mountain Team".
#55PirateFan Wrote:No need to be sorry about anything brother. I get it, your a Collins fan. Hell, I am to. The kid is a stud. Same goes for Slone from Wayne County. I think its between Slone and Hightower for the best RB in the state award. And if Breathitt and Wayne was in their coverage area not a doubt in my mind that both would have been on this list. But their not.

Since it is a newspaper and not WYMT I would think that the coverage area for the paper would not be very large at all, 2-3 counties at most.
Walt Longmire Wrote:Since it is a newspaper and not WYMT I would think that the coverage area for the paper would not be very large at all, 2-3 counties at most.

Works for me! 👍
Coin Toss Wrote:Give it up. He absolutely is and proved it everywhere he played. He is proven and arguing otherwise is a slight to him.

Is he in the coverage area for that particular newspaper? If not that's why he isn't on the list. He's a great player. Definitely in top 4 backs I saw play all year.

There’s never been a Haddix coached team that’s had a kid get 30 touches a game...We didn’t need a running back to beat Wayne we needed a couple extra linebackers that could wrap up and tackle...Collins is a heck of a player all your doing is setting him up for someone to bash on him...