Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 All Mountain 1st Team
Below I'll post a list of the athletes that made the Hazard Harold All Mountain 1st Team. I don't know who voted or how many voted or what their criteria was but thought it would be a good discussion topic.

Also, not sure what counties were took into account when they did their voting . I assume it was just comprised of athletes in their coverage area. And I'm pretty sure, like all lists before, this one isn't going to satisfy everyone either. But just remember, these are kids were talking about here so control yourselves. Lol!
Player of the Year:
Jackson Hensley, Pikeville

All-Mountain:

First Team Offense:

Position - Name - School

OL Peyton Blackburn, Shelby Valley

OL Andrew Clifton, Johnson Central

OL Grant Bingham, Johnson Central

OL Owen LeMaster, Johnson Central

OL Ethan Wolford, Belfry

QB Isaac McNamee, Pikeville

RB Isaac Dixon, Belfry

RB Cody Raines, Pikeville

RB John Walker Phelps, Paintsville

RB Matt Anderson Pike Central

WR Drew Hatfield, Mingo Central

WR Seth Dalton, Johnson Central

WR Keegan Bentley, Pike Central

WR Karsten Poe, Paintsville

TE Zach Russell, Johnson Central

Ath Ethan Varney, Tug Valley

Ath Ryley Preece, Johnson Central

Ath Dalton Meade, Shelby Valey

K Jake Headly, Johnson Central

First Team Defense:

DL Grayson Cook, Belfry

DL Devin Johnson, Johnson Central

DL Jaylyn Allen Paintsville

DL Nate Roberts, Pike Central

LB Jon Collum, Pikeville

LB Seth Mounts, Belfry

LB Hunter McCloud, Johnson Central

LB Reece Fletcher, Hazard

LB Kaden Caudill, Pikeville

CB Isaiah Birchfield, Belfry

CB Peyton Boyd-Blair, Pikeville

CB Cody Rice, Johnson Central

CB Devin Hall, Paintsville

Thoughts???
Not completely horrible, but I feel like I could make a bit better list than that. 🤷🏼*♂️
#55PirateFan Wrote:Player of the Year:

All-Mountain:

First Team Offense:

Position - Name - School

OL Ethan Wolford, Belfry

RB Isaac Dixon, Belfry

First Team Defense:

DL Grayson Cook, Belfry

LB Jon Collum, Pikeville

LB Seth Mounts, Belfry

Thoughts???

0 players from 13th region and exactly 1 from the 14th? Bell County, Corbin, And Breathitt County all definitely had at least one player that should’ve made it.
fridaynightfights Wrote:0 players from 13th region and exactly 1 from the 14th? Bell County, Corbin, And Breathitt County all definitely had at least one player that should’ve made it.

Is the 13th and 14th regions in Hazards coverage area? I really don't know. I'm pretty sure this is just players they cover. That's why I said it in my first post. So what players from those regions would you add and who would you take off?
VoR_58 Wrote:Not completely horrible, but I feel like I could make a bit better list than that. 🤷🏼*♂️

What players would you add and which would you take off? There's really no wrong answers or picks. This is just a discussion thread about our opinions anyway.
One change I would make, not really a change just a flip, would be Ryley Preece at QB and McNamee would be at athlete. If there's going to be a starting QB in the mountains it would be Preece, IMO. Not saying Mac isn't good, because he's very good, I just don't think he's on Ryley's level.
No Jackson Hensley??
bac2369 Wrote:No Jackson Hensley??

At the very top. He won POY.
Jabari Kyle
London Stephney
#55PirateFan Wrote:Is the 13th and 14th regions in Hazards coverage area? I really don't know. I'm pretty sure this is just players they cover. That's why I said it in my first post. So what players from those regions would you add and who would you take off?

I don’t know about their newspaper but WYMT definitely does and if you want to call it a mountain team they definitely should be included.
Looks pretty good to me.
The fact that Charles Andrew Collins from Breathitt county is not on list is ridiculous. Yes Breathitt is apart of the 14th region. Sounds to me like the hazard herald needs to get out and watch more games.
Guys it’s a local news paper out of hazard. It’s fine..... I mean what else could they call it? If they call it all EKy team, people would get mad. People are upset over it being “mountains” but the options are limited. Shy of calling it the 14th and 15th region all state- which sounds like crap- they have no other options really. Hell call it the “furthest you can travel from hazard with a full tank of gas in a F350 diesel all state team”. It’s just a local news paper giving some kids around there some props. Like I said, ITS FINE. The kids on there are all talented kids. You won’t hear me complaining because it says “mountains” 👍🏻
Dominick Francis from Phelps had better stats than 2 of the running backs on that list and he was voted All-State honorable mention but didn’t make this all area list. Lots of other names seem to be forgotten on there.
Pretty sure the Hazard Herald is owned by the Appalachian News Express out of Pikeville,, the guy that writes for them is from Pikeville area,, that is why all the 15th region kids on there,, Hazard Herald only covers Hazard High, Perry Central, Buckhorn,,, I don’t even think they have a local writer
Middlesboro - Jabari Kyle, finished 3rd in state 2a for rushing TD’s (28).

Any list of best mountain players that doesn’t include the Sr. running back from Breathitt County (Collins) needs some revision. He was better this season than any other RB on the list.
Hound05 Wrote:Guys it’s a local news paper out of hazard. It’s fine..... I mean what else could they call it? If they call it all EKy team, people would get mad. People are upset over it being “mountains” but the options are limited. Shy of calling it the 14th and 15th region all state- which sounds like crap- they have no other options really. Hell call it the “furthest you can travel from hazard with a full tank of gas in a F350 diesel all state team”. It’s just a local news paper giving some kids around there some props. Like I said, ITS FINE. The kids on there are all talented kids. You won’t hear me complaining because it says “mountains” 👍🏻

Exactly! People already getting bent out of shape just because of its title! And if they read a bit, they'll see that I explained it was just "THEIR COVERAGE AREA"! Come on guys. Can't satisfy anyone. If you don't like it, fine. If you think somebody else deserves to be on here go start you up a newspaper and put them on it.

And I'll say this, it would be pretty damn hard to replace any of the kids on this list with any other kid whether their from Breathitt, Bell, or anywhere else "in the mountains".
Tri-State Fan Wrote:Middlesboro - Jabari Kyle, finished 3rd in state 2a for rushing TD’s (28).

Any list of best mountain players that doesn’t include the Sr. running back from Breathitt County (Collins) needs some revision. He was better this season than any other RB on the list.

Just curious because I have no connection to anyone involved, how was he better?
Hound05 Wrote:Guys it’s a local news paper out of hazard. It’s fine..... I mean what else could they call it? If they call it all EKy team, people would get mad. People are upset over it being “mountains” but the options are limited. Shy of calling it the 14th and 15th region all state- which sounds like crap- they have no other options really. Hell call it the “furthest you can travel from hazard with a full tank of gas in a F350 diesel all state team”. It’s just a local news paper giving some kids around there some props. Like I said, ITS FINE. The kids on there are all talented kids. You won’t hear me complaining because it says “mountains” 👍🏻

There you go trying to talk all reasonable and stuff again shame on you...
Really this is no different than the SEKC selections for most of the 13 region have been...
#55PirateFan Wrote:Player of the Year:

All-Mountain:

First Team Offense:

Position - Name - School

OL Ethan Wolford, Belfry

RB Isaac Dixon, Belfry

First Team Defense:

DL Grayson Cook, Belfry

LB Jon Collum, Pikeville

LB Seth Mounts, Belfry

Thoughts???

Congratulations from 64SUR and a big Merry Christmas :Cheerlead
single shot Wrote:Really this is no different than the SEKC selections for most of the 13 region have been...

Exactly!!! That’s got me thinking if there are anymore “conferences” like that in Kentucky?? If I’m mistaken a lot of teams “in it” use to play each other a lot regardless of class. It’s somewhat dated now, but still some good recognition for some kids that are really good that might not get it otherwise. They use to put a lot of work and thought into their selections, I can’t say how it is now, but for those apart of it, it was usually on the spot a majority of the time.
64SUR Wrote:Congratulations from 64SUR and a big Merry Christmas :Cheerlead

Thank you Sir, and same to you! God Bless.
Hound05 Wrote:Just curious because I have no connection to anyone involved, how was he better?

Did you see him play? Collins was a beast this year. He was absolutely dynamic. I don’t have his stats in front of me but I believe he was at or near the top in all rushing stats for 2A on relatively limited attempts.
fridaynightfights Wrote:I don’t know about their newspaper but WYMT definitely does and if you want to call it a mountain team they definitely should be included.

Ok. But who would you take off "this" list to open up spots for whoever you have in mind?
Coin Toss Wrote:Did you see him play? Collins was a beast this year. He was absolutely dynamic. I don’t have his stats in front of me but I believe he was at or near the top in all rushing stats for 2A on relatively limited attempts.

I watched him vs somerset. But I watched Dixon as well. He was also a beast. JCs backs were also beasts. My point was just because another kid who did really well was above him doesn’t make a list illegitimate.
Hound05 Wrote:I watched him vs somerset. But I watched Dixon as well. He was also a beast. JCs backs were also beasts. My point was just because another kid who did really well was above him doesn’t make a list illegitimate.

For fun... the four RB's listed as well as Collins stats:

Dixon:
96 carries, 1191 yards, 13 TD (12.4 per, TD every 7.4 carries)
7 receptions, 184 yards, 3 TD (26.3 per, TD every 2.3 catches)
103 touches, 1375 yards, 16 TD (13.4 per, TD every 6.4 touches)

Phelps:
190 carries, 1334 yards, 18 TD (7.0 per, TD every 10.6 carries)
16 receptions, 212 yards, 2 TD (13.3 per, TD every 8 catches)
206 Touches, 1546 yards, 20 TD (7.5 per, TD every 10.3 touches)

Anderson:
150 carries, 1385 yards, 14 TD (9.2 per, TD every 10.7 carries)
2 receptions, 71 yards (35.5 per, No TD's)
152 touches, 1456 yards, 14 TD (9.6 per, TD every 10.9 touches)

Raines:
185 carries, 1063 yards, 15 TD (5.8 per, TD every 12.3 carries)
13 receptions, 136 yards, 2 TD (10.5 per, TD every 6.5 catches)
198 touches, 1199 yards, 17 TD (6.1 per, TD every 11.7 touches)

Collins:
137 carries, 1863 yards, 37 TD (13.6 per, TD every 3.7 carries)
4 receptions, 81 yards, 1 TD (20.3 per, TD ever 4 catches)
141 touches, 1944 yards, 38 TD (13.8 per, TD every 3.7 touches)

Per Carry Ranking:
1. Collins- 13.6
2. Dixon- 12.4
3. Anderson- 9.8
4. Phelps- 7.0
5. Raines- 5.8

Per Catch Ranking:
1. Anderson- 35.5
2. Dixon- 26.3
3. Collins- 20.3
4. Phelps- 13.3
5. Raines- 10.5

Per Touch Ranking:
1. Collins- 13.8
2. Dixon- 13.4
3. Anderson- 9.6
4. Phelps- 7.5
5. Raines- 6.1

Carry/TD Ranking:
1. Collins- TD every 3.7
2. Dixon- TD every 7.4
3. Phelps- TD every 10.6
4. Anderson- TD every 10.7
5. Raines- TD every 12.3

Catch/TD Ranking:
1. Dixon- TD every 2.3
2. Collins- TD every 4.0
3. Raines- TD every 6.5
4. Phelps- TD every 8.0
5. Anderson- No TD

Touch/TD Ranking:
1. Collins- TD every 3.7
2. Dixon- TD every 6.4
3. Phelps- TD every 10.3
4. Anderson- TD every 10.9
5. Raines-TD every 11.7

Max Value Projections Rankings (Multiplying Per Averages by the maximum number of carries, catches and touches of the five players. (190 carries, 16 receptions, 206 total touches):

1. Collins-
2584 rushing yards, 51 TD
325 receiving yards, 4 TD
2909 total yards, 55 TD

2. Dixon-
2356 rushing yards, 26 TD
421 receiving yards, 7 TD
2777 total yards, 33 TD

3. Anderson-
1862 rushing yards, 18 TD
568 receiving yards, 0 TD
2430 total yards, 18 TD

4. Phelps- **EXACT SAME AS HE HAD THE MAX CARRIES AND CATCHES**
1334 yards, 18 TD
212 yards, 2 TD
1546 yards, 20 TD

5. Raines-
1102 rushing yards, 16 TD
168 receiving yards, 3 TD
1270 total yards, 19 TD
^^^
In summary:

Collins statistically is the superior back when simply looking at per averages. The pace he had in terms of his YPC and TD per carry are simply ridiculous. It is also worth noting that he by far played the weakest competition of the five backs with only Anderson being comparable.

Dixon had the fewest touches but was easily the second best back statistically when looking at his per averages. Additionally Dixon played the hardest competition with only Raines and Phelps being remotely close.

Anderson was the most surprising statistically, especially as a Freshman!
Phelps had the heaviest workload and performed well against solid competition.
Raines' numbers are nothing to sneeze at, but he was considerably the weakest of the five from a per average viewpoint.

Would Collins have the same ridiculous stats playing the same competition as Dixon, Phelps, and Raines? Most assuredly not... but based off his previous stint at Anderson County he still would probably have a better statistical season that nearly all these backs with Dixon being the only one who would edge him in the per average department potentially.

My final ranking of these backs considering all variables:
1. Collins
2. Dixon
3. Phelps
4. Anderson
5. Raines
For fun, this was Collins stats and averages his Junior year at Anderson County.
131 carries, 1474 yards, 21 TD (11.3 per, TD ever 6.2 carries)
16 receptions, 390 yards, 6 TD (24.4 per, TD every 2.7 catches)
147 touches, 1864 yards, 27 TD (12.7 per, TD every 5.4 touches)

Max Value Projections:
2147 rushing yards, 31 TD
390 receiving yards, 6 TD
2537 total yards, 37 TD

Anderson County played much stiffer competition than Breathitt County, but still was nowhere near the level that Belfry, Paintsville, or Pikeville played.

All hypothetical, but I do think this further justifies Collins as an elite back.